Start by marking “Trollslayer (Gotrek & Felix, #1)” as Want to Read:
Trollslayer (Gotrek & Felix, #1)

Trollslayer (Gotrek & Felix #1)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  1,343 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Trollslayer is the first part of the death saga of Gotrek Gurnisson, as retold by his travelling companion Felix Jaeger. Set in the darkly gothic world of Warhammer, Trollslayer is an episodic novel featuring some of the most extraordinary adventures of this deadly pair of heroes. Monsters, daemons, sorcerers, mutants, orcs, beastmen and worse are to be found as Gotrek str ...more
Published April 3rd 2003 by The Black Library (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Trollslayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trollslayer

Mpauli
When it's dark outside and the day comes to an end the world goes silent at the reviewer's home. But sometimes, if you listen carefully you can hear some voices. Want to take a closer look?
Come and follow me into the attic to a cupboard. Inside the cupboard there are lots of books, games and comics. But what is that? Do you hear the tiny voices coming from 3 cardboard boxes? Let us listen in on what the tiny tin dwarves have to say:

"Is it dark yet?" asked the Clan Warrior.
"It's always dark in he
Gavin Gates
7 chapters which basically are all separate stories of everybody’s favourite dwarf with a deathwish and his best mate, what could possibly go wrong? Nothing, simple as that, this is the re-release of William King’s best work as far as I’m concerned showcasing his uncanny ability to push dry wit into the most bloody and unrelenting battles and deepest, darkest of situations. There is a maturing of the characters and pushing of the boundaries happening right through, in the first few you get what ...more
Paul
Gotrek is a slayer dwarf, one who has committed a sin so great the only atonement is seeking out an death in battle worthy of an epic. Felix is a poet and swordsman who is wanted by the Empire for his participation in the window tax riots. Gotrek saved Felix's life from being trampled by the Empire's troops. While hiding in a tavern, very inebriated Felix swears an oath to follow the slayer dwarf and write the epic of his death. In this series of books the duo fight; chaos worshipers, goblin wol ...more
Matthew
This is very standard "Tolkien-esqe" Fantasy. A world filled with dwarves, men, and some evil. Our main characters inevitably find themselves "walking the path" of their hero journey to some great unknown. Structurally the book is setup as a series of adventures or short stories. It actually reads a bit like pulp fiction in that sense since you can almost picture the stories as a weekly or monthly release. With the way the book is written too there is not definite end point that our heroes are s ...more
Ed C
A great start to a great series. This is more of a collection of short stories, including a reworking of the original short story King created the characters for, long long ago. The stories all form a running period of time in the characters lives, from shortly after meeting and travelling together, up until the start of the next book.

The characterisations are great, two truly classic figures in the Warhammer world. The adventures are each short but diverse, giving you a lot of short snippets of
Jonny Rhoades
I must admit when I first got this and saw it was only 7 short stories I sighed thinking "ow great this is gonna be a huge let down and I have just wasted £5" however getting into this and having played the hobby I think this was really well written the characters make this story more if anything I was in stitches during one of the short stories when Gotrek lost his memory and turned into a complete useless wimp, Felix at this point you can tell is very new to the ways of the road and you see th ...more
Ryan Lynd
Rubbish. I'm a big fan of the Warhammer 40k universe, and I hadn't read any fantasy for quite some time. I'd read a lot of more profound novels lately and I wanted a light hearted read to relax with. I figured that a look into the Warhammer fantasy universe might be worth a look, considering how well done the 40k novels are. Too bad I have the first 6 novels in this series that I'll need to eBay now. Luckily, I picked them up for almost nothing in a second hand store.

I'm not knocking the author'
James Dunphy
I had been craving a good fantasy read for quite a while, so I ended up picking up the Gotrek & Felix first omnibus on Amazon for like $0.01. Literally shipping was 500 times more than the cost of this book. I had relatively low expectations going in, expecting standard generic fantasy fare and not much else. I know absolutely nothing about the Warhammer fantasy world so I went in with blind eyes. What I got was quite a surprising book. It's actually a collection of loosely (but not really) ...more
Jesse
it's hard to overstate how much I loved this shit as a frustrated antisocial carbuncular teen. Rereading 10 years later, I can see that WK's massive success with these characters is due to how perfectly they fit a certain kind of teen boy's psyche. Indulge me;

Felix is educated and good-hearted, but haunted by his decisions and the darker yearnings he awakens while following Gotrek. He, like many frustrated adolescents, is sensitive, outcast, and feels like the bad decisions he's made/making have
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
James Hoyle
Dec 22, 2012 James Hoyle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Action fans, Fantasy fans, Warhammer fans
I first heard of Gotrek and Felix through a friend in college. He was telling me all about the Warhammer fantasy tabletop game, published by Games Workshop. I was fascinated by all of the elements and things of the fantasy world he described to me, and wanted to know more. Almost as soon as the statement left my lips, he ran to his dorm like a flash, came back panting, and shoved Gotrek and Felix: The First Omnibus into my hands. He informed me that this would explain the world of Warhammer bett ...more
Nathan
A reader who picks this up should know what they are getting. Grimdark, lots of bad things happen to good people, action on every page. Those people will not be dissapointed.

A nice structure, basically a chapter is a short adventure story, loosely held together by the writings of Felix. Due to this the pacing is brisk and a reader should never get bored, until said reader realizes they are reading essentially the same story each time.

Character development? A small attempt to grow the two charac
Geeks Unleashed.Me
Read the full review here at Geeks Unleashed.Me
THE BLURB:
Trollslayer is the first part of the death saga of Gotrek Gurnisson, as re-told by his travelling companion Felix Jaeger. Set in the darkly gothic world of Warhammer, Trollslayer is an episodic novel featuring some of the most extraordinary adventures of this deadly pair of heroes. Monsters, daemons, sorcerers, mutants, orcs, beastmen and worse are to be found as Gotrek strives to achieve a noble death in battle. Felix, of course, only ha
Sebastien
Dec 10, 2011 Sebastien rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fan de Warhammer et Grim Fantasy
Recommended to Sebastien by: Internet
Shelves: warhammer
Ayant fini de lire Konrad Trilogy, je me suis dit que jamais je n'arriverais à lire un roman d'une aussi belle qualité dans le monde de Warhammer. Cependant, étant plus mature et ayant développer mon goût pour la lecture, j'ai décidé de continuer à lire des histoires dans ce monde passionnant. Ne sachant pas quoi acheter, cette fois-ci je me suis fier sur des critique sur Internet (he oui ça commençais a exister à cette année là).

Le roman le mieux recommander de l'époque était Trollslayer.

Pour v
Callum Shephard
One of three titles Black Library is re-releasing under its new Classics range, William King’s Trollslayer recounts the efforts of disgraced slayer Gotrek Gurnisson to find an honourable death. Thanks to a drunken oath, poet Felix Jaeger is forced to follow and record his fate as they combat orcs, trolls and the cultists of the dark gods. Unfortunately for both of them, Gotrek is extremely hard to kill.

King went on to write another six books, but this first instalment remains one of the stronges
FIREnICE brah
I am a sucker for these types of books. I enjoy reading through one character's view point, and I really like well detailed action, so this was right up my alley. Felix is hilarious and his cowardly thoughts never fail to deliver.

A couple of things you should keep in mind are that Gotrek will NEVER really change under William King. He'll always be grumpy, will always be an introvert, will always fight for fun and drink for fun, and will never add much in terms of philosophical dialogue. There's
Ian
This was my first introduction to Warhammer Fantasy. It was actually written far better than most 40k novels I've ran across. I didn't expect it to be a series of short stories, but it was pretty fun. With a setup like this good, I don't really care if there's not much depth to it. It's a fun story with fun characters and lots of violence. That's all you can really expected from a Warhammer book, right?
Ian Hagan
Okay, so the plots are a bit formulaic and predictable; as well as the characters fall into the classic archetypes that had been created and nearly ridden to death by such authors as Howard and Moorcock. However, this book succeeds in being highly entertaining by taking these detrimental elements and adding a highly energetic writing style. The book reads like an exciting action movie; who cares if you can already predict the ending, the antics and triumphs of the chracters trump foreknowledge o ...more
Jeff Powers
I rarely dive into fantasy anymore as I find it harder to locate the fast paced monster filled thrill rides of the genre. This is certainly one of those pieces. Made up of consecutive short stories that pits an angry dwarf and an outlaw human against the most daemonic of enemies. This is dark, adventurous, pulp fantasy at its finest.
Bogdan Gavriliuc
This was a fun read.
Lots of descriptive emotional fights.

In each section King does a good job of setting up an interesting plot which both Gotrek and Felix test and demonstrate their skills. It kept me interested in short.

The one downside I would point out is the fact that each story has such minimal connectivity, that it may as well be a collection of short stories. I really wanted some of the villains or even support characters to pass over to the next story or even later on in the book.
It l
Rik
For a first novel it was better than I expected. I got to like the characters, so the author must have got something right!
Shawn Sheppard
Apr 16, 2012 Shawn Sheppard is currently reading it
So far, so good. This is the first book of the Felix and gotrek series from the Black Library. Currently I'm only in the third short story in this book, and like the characters. I knew going in that I enjoyed the setting, mostly because I have played the table top and the mmo. This is a slower read for me because I am having to read it instead of listen to it from audible.
Amanda
Rather simple sword and sorcery fare which disappointingly, despite some promising early character development, never really gets started. Presented as a series of bizarrely similar short stories, Trollslayer soon becomes tedious and repetative with a large cast of forgetable, two-dimensional extras and a fair dolop of random mysogyny thrown in for good measure.
Travis Bughi
I read this book at the right time. I was getting tired of the hero's journey with one huge villain to destroy and just wanted a world with a deep history to get lost in. This book provided that, and although I'm sure I'll get bored eventually with the find enemy / kill enemy / move on type story-line, for now I am enjoying myself. On to the Skavenslayer!
Triopticon
It was a good book. It is essentially just short stories. Took me awhile to read but that was more my fault than the book as I was just not in the mood for reading fantasy.

Some of the stories seemed to end rather abruptly but other than that they read well.
Jamie Bruce
This was the first Warhammer Fantasy book I read. It took a bit of research on my part to keep up and get immersed in the universe, but was well worth it.
First book in a brilliant series and engaging universe.
Azn
A decent book but it is too episodic for my taste. Except for the two main characters, the minor characters are totally insignificant. The book could be a lot better.
James Marwood
Fun romp through the fear and loathing of the Warhammer world. Lots of blood and guts, some laughs. I loved this when I was a teenager and I enjoyed it again now.
David Holec
Tak tohle se mi líbilo! Několik navazujících příběhů o celkem komické dvojici, která se hodně často zaplétá s mutanty a temnotou obecně. Tuhle sérii chci doma celou!
  • Orcslayer
  • Reaper of Souls
  • Gotrek and Felix: The Anthology
  • Grey Seer (Warhammer: Thanquol & Boneripper, #1)
  • Guardians of the Forest
  • Hammers of Ulric
  • Caledor
  • Road of Skulls
More about William King...
Space Wolf: The First Omnibus Skavenslayer (Gotrek & Felix, #2) Daemonslayer (Gotrek & Felix, #3) Gotrek & Felix: The First Omnibus Dragonslayer