Start by marking “People Styles at Work: Making Bad Relationships Good & Good Relationships Better” as Want to Read:

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  15 reviews
"With so much diversity in the workplace, it's no wonder people problems abound. Yet it is possible to overcome personality conflicts by understanding other people's differences instead of merely reacting to them emotionally.

A sequel to Social Style, Management Style, this book presents a comprehensive behavioral science model for understanding four different ""people styl
Published May 15th 1996 by AMACOM/American Management Association (first published March 31st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about People Styles at Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about People Styles at Work

Amanda
I expected to love this book. A personality assessment that can be done objectively? Based on behavior? So that you can actually label the people around you and alter your behavior accordingly?! This is the major downfall of Meyers-Briggs and similar assessments and so I had high hopes for People Styles.

The information seems solid, and the criteria are simple enough to understand. The authors even include a section on how to flex to each type for every other type--a clear cut practical guide.

Th
Michael
Many of us have taken personality tests, such as Myers-Briggs, for the workplace. People Styles takes a different angle on the concept. Rather than worry too much about what makes you tick, the focus is on how you communicate with other people. The authors boil communications styles to four basic types: Drivers, Analytics, Emotives, and Amiables.

The practical takeaway is beyond simply understanding which style you fall into, but rather how you should communicate with those of the other styles. T
Richard Still
The model they are describing is psychometrically sound, my company developed a personality test around this model and it's valid, though we did change the orientation of the styles to fit with some of our other tests.
The test in the book is only so-so, but the real value here is in the practical advice. Learning to identify someone *else's* style and having a good map for understanding how to form your words to fit in their head is great.
I read this book in 2008 and I cannot count the number of
yoli
This had good guidelines to help me identify as Expressive, how to identify other's types, and how to best interact with all of the types.
Dave B.
Mr and Mrs Bolton wrote a very helpful book on social interaction. As a business person looking for the most effective way to communicate with others, I found this book very helpful. It was more then just catch phases or the new mamagement terms. This book provides real application and improved understanding of self. This book will have a permanent impact on my professional life. Highly recommended!
Linda
Probably good as a quick guide, but almost seems like a one or two dimenensional impression. I found it an interesting read, but I feel like it would take knowing people more in depth to be abke to flex to them effectively.
Jeff
This book, at times, feels like it isn't grounded in current research (it's a little on the old side), makes sweeping generalizations with little to no support, and occasionally makes an insightful observation. The difficulty lies in separating the wheat from the chaff. Although I got a few helpful tidbits from this book I can't recommend it.
Carolee
Okay, okay, I know we're all sick of self-help books - but if, like me, you're stuck with having to navigate through the corporate world - this book could be a significant asset. Doesn't ask you to analyze everyone you work with on an emotional level - just gives great rules of thumb...
Lynsey Mulder
Great book to understand how to best communicate with others, at home or at work. I am going to use this book for a team building event in my office because I think it is an understanding that everyone could use.
Michel
Great book. It was pretty spot on with a lot of things! I do plan to refer back to it from time to time to try to implement some of the advice on how to work with different styles.
Laurie
Excellent resource re: personality styles. Gives you a simple yet powerful and effective way to evaluate a person's style and understand how to interact effectively.
Edb
Very interesting study about why people act like they do. The styles each of us use affect everything about us.
Chrissy
It was alright for a self help book. I read it for Interpersonal Realationships. A class I took this year
Jason
Very insightful and useful for business and personal relationships.
Timon
Good construct and ideas. Summary is all you need.
Dan Bruma
Dan Bruma marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Cory Lemay
Cory Lemay marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Sonya
Sonya marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Raj
Raj marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Laura is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2015
Albina
Albina marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Savannah
Savannah marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • He's Scared, She's Scared: Understanding the Hidden Fears That Sabotage Your Relationships
  • You're Hired: How to Succeed in Business and Life from the Winner of The Apprentice
  • The Dance of Change: The challenges to sustaining momentum in a learning organization
  • Who's Got Your Back: The Breakthrough Program to Build Deep, Trusting Relationships That Create Success--And Won't Let You Fail
  • Co-Active Coaching: New Skills for Coaching People Toward Success in Work and, Life
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way
  • Smart Trust: How People, Companies, and Countries Are Prospering from High Trust in a Low Trust World
  • The Time Trap
  • The Passion Test: The Effortless Path to Discovering Your Destiny
  • Never Check E-Mail In the Morning: And Other Unexpected Strategies for Making Your Work Life Work
  • The Path of Least Resistance for Managers
  • Profitable Growth Is Everyone's Business: 10 Tools You Can Use Monday Morning
  • Conscious Living: Finding Joy in the Real World
  • If It Hurts, It Isn't Love: And 365 Other Principles to Heal and Transform Your Relationships
  • Winning Decisions: Getting It Right the First Time
  • Dinosaur Brains: Dealing with All THOSE Impossible People at Work
  • Why "A" Students Work for "C" Students and "B" Students Work for the Government: Rich Dad's Guide to Financial Education for Parents
  • The Girl with the Gallery: Edith Gregor Halpert And the Making of the Modern Art Market
People Skills Social Style/Management Style History of the Town of Mamaroneck Being, Nature, and Life in Aristotle: Essays in Honor of Allan Gotthelf A Discourse About the State of True Happiness (English Experience Series No. 909)