On Man and Nature

On Man and Nature

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Published June 1960 by Peter Pauper Press (first published January 28th 1960)

To ask other readers questions about On Man and Nature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Man and Nature

Turquoise
"Do a little more of that work which you had sometime confessed to be good, which you feel that society and your justest judge rightly demands of you. Do what you reprove yourself for not doing. Know that you are neither satisfied nor dissatisfied with yourself without reason. Let me say to you and to myself in one breath, Cultivate the tree which you have found to bear fruit in your soil."

Got that? Last line especially.
Elliot
In need of a Saturday morning read, I wandered through this tiny collection of quotes and short passages by Thoreau. To be honest, I don't quite understand the function of this sort of book -- one whose editor perhaps attempted to present a modicum of Thoreau's unparalleled brilliance in the form of aphorisms -- but this is a pleasant, inspirational trifle worth chewing and returning to. I'm slowly working my way through a collection of Thoreau's journal entries, and this small book contained a...more
Jenae
A collection of quotes from Thoreau's writing. Absolutely a must-read for anyone looking for inspiration, or simply wanting to luxuriate in some Victorian-era prose.
joycesu
Short read. Lovely, but had a hard time swallowing the last chapter. The agnostic in me just cannot muster up that much passion for "The Great Spirit."
Mysterium
An awesome collection of inspiring quotes on nature from one of the literary masters. A must read, especially during these troubled times.
Jessica Bukowinski
Some great quotes, some difficult quotes, better read in small doses than in a straight read.
Mishti Sharma
Got this used (a copy from 1960.) Some really great sayings and some okay ones, but I love Thoreau!
Audrey
Every passage I read from this little compilation filled me with lightness. Awe inducing.
Jessica
great little book full of selected quotes on different aspects of Nature.
Joey
a collection of advices,
Todd
Todd is currently reading it
Aug 13, 2014
Reshma
Reshma marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Tiffany Rensfield
Tiffany Rensfield marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Julia Hollender
Julia Hollender marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Kima Young
Kima Young marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Cornelia Dangellia
Cornelia Dangellia marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Marly
Marly added it
Jul 25, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Henry David Thoreau (born David Henry Thoreau)was an American author, naturalist, transcendentalist, tax resister, development critic, philosopher, and abolitionist who is best known for Walden, a reflection upon simple living in natural surroundings, and his essay, Civil Disobedience, an argument for individual resistance to civil government in moral opposition to an unjust state.

Thoreau's books,...more
More about Henry David Thoreau...
Walden Walden & Civil Disobedience Civil Disobedience and Other Essays (Collected Essays) Thoughts from Walden Pond Walden and Other Writings