On Man and Nature

On Man and Nature

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Published June 1960 by Peter Pauper Press (first published January 28th 1960)

Turquoise
"Do a little more of that work which you had sometime confessed to be good, which you feel that society and your justest judge rightly demands of you. Do what you reprove yourself for not doing. Know that you are neither satisfied nor dissatisfied with yourself without reason. Let me say to you and to myself in one breath, Cultivate the tree which you have found to bear fruit in your soil."

Got that? Last line especially.
Elliot
In need of a Saturday morning read, I wandered through this tiny collection of quotes and short passages by Thoreau. To be honest, I don't quite understand the function of this sort of book -- one whose editor perhaps attempted to present a modicum of Thoreau's unparalleled brilliance in the form of aphorisms -- but this is a pleasant, inspirational trifle worth chewing and returning to. I'm slowly working my way through a collection of Thoreau's journal entries, and this small book contained a...more
Jenae
A collection of quotes from Thoreau's writing. Absolutely a must-read for anyone looking for inspiration, or simply wanting to luxuriate in some Victorian-era prose.
joycesu
Short read. Lovely, but had a hard time swallowing the last chapter. The agnostic in me just cannot muster up that much passion for "The Great Spirit."
Mysterium
An awesome collection of inspiring quotes on nature from one of the literary masters. A must read, especially during these troubled times.
Jessica Bukowinski
Some great quotes, some difficult quotes, better read in small doses than in a straight read.
Mishti Sharma
Got this used (a copy from 1960.) Some really great sayings and some okay ones, but I love Thoreau!
Audrey
Every passage I read from this little compilation filled me with lightness. Awe inducing.
Jessica
great little book full of selected quotes on different aspects of Nature.
Joey
a collection of advices,
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Claudia Pederzoli
Claudia Pederzoli marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Josh Ruhl
Josh Ruhl marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Kismet
Kismet added it
Apr 30, 2014
Zach Boyle
Zach Boyle marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Henry David Thoreau (born David Henry Thoreau)was an American author, naturalist, transcendentalist, tax resister, development critic, philosopher, and abolitionist who is best known for Walden, a reflection upon simple living in natural surroundings, and his essay, Civil Disobedience, an argument for individual resistance to civil government in moral opposition to an unjust state.

Thoreau's books,...more
More about Henry David Thoreau...
Walden Walden & Civil Disobedience Civil Disobedience and Other Essays (Collected Essays) Thoughts from Walden Pond Walden and Other Writings