Sharpe's Devil (Sharpe, #21)

Sharpe's Devil (Sharpe #21)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  2,596 ratings  ·  61 reviews
In 1820, Richard Sharpe is drawn out of retirement on a perilous mission: to find the Captain-General of the Spanish colony of Chile, an old friend, who has vanished without a trace half a world away.
Audio CD, 8 pages
Published March 1st 2009 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 1992)

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto)
That....was one of the most boring books I've ever listened to. Even being abridged (All the good & important stuff left in, yeah? Isn't that how it goes?) and read by Sean "Sex On Legs Whose Voice Makes Me Puddle" Bean couldn't save it.

Beats me why Cornwell's books are so beloved. I can't get into his writing, no matter how hard I try. I hear his Uhtred books are Teh Awsum, but I'll take y'alls words for it. Not going there myself. I fall asleep too easily enough as it is.
Graham
If SHARPE'S WATERLOO was the rip-roaring climax to Bernard Cornwell's series of Napoleonic War novels, then SHARPE'S DEVIL is the action-packed epilogue. The story, which is set five years after Waterloo, involves Sharpe's run-in with the Emperor himself and subsequent adventures in the Chilean War of Independence with Spain.

I won't spoil the story, which was completely unknown to me before I started reading, only to say that Sharpe fits it like a glove. Okay, so it's a little odd that he's not...more
Jim
I have finally finished reading the entire Richard Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell. It has taken me two years to do so (at an average of a book a month), but I soldiered on -- with glee. I guess that Richard Sharpe is everything I'm not, but everything I've always wanted to be: tall, thin, with a full head of hair, brave, resourceful, strong, and so on. But then, the pictures of Cornwell that I've seen makes me think he is as much a prisoner of wish-fulfillment as I am. Hélas!

Sharpe's Devil is...more
Phil
Well this is the last of the major Sharpe novels. I've read them all chronologically from beginning to end including the short stories, so I've been living and breathing Sharpe for about 5 months almost to the the day. It'll be weird not going to bed and enjoying his exploits.

This novel takes place about 5 years after Waterloo, with an aging, but still tough as nails Sharpe, and a very tubby Harper. The majority of the story takes place in Chili with Sharpe looking to find out just what has happ...more
Ed
Aug 22, 2010 Ed rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Fiction, Napoleonic Wars and Cornwell fans.
As the saying goes, "All good things must come to an end." The Richard Sharpe series certainly qualifies. This is volume 21 if you list them chronologically, although it was the 13th he wrote.

Many years ago, I picked this book up at a used bookstore and read it long before I had any idea who Bernard Cornwell was or Richard Sharpe, either. At the time, I though it was a pretty good book but it didn't motivate me to pursue Cornwell's offerings like reading Stonehenge did many years later.

I've no...more
Rebecca
Cochrane was too large a character to not be based on fact, I instantly had to look him up. I felt that for Sharpe, it was a good adventure, but he knows better than this. It seemed as though he almost wanted an excuse to fight once more and be useful, but couldn't admit it to himself. If there had been more of it in the book, more of a restlessness, as though Richard was his own little Napoleon willing himself off an island, then I would have felt the ending more justified. For Sharpe, he's bee...more
HBalikov
I fear that this is the latest book that Cornwell will write in his Sharpe series. Latest, not last, because it closes out the Napoleonic Era and leaves Sharpe able to literally follow Voltaire's maxim to "...cultivate his own garden (in Normandy)."
More good research underlies this book on the role of war veteran adventurers in South America. Some nice portrait work on characters from history such as Adm. Chocrane. A neat blend of military life and strategy in a new context. Cornwell throws in m...more
Joyce Lagow
No. 21, the final installment of the Richard Sharpe series.[return][return]Normally, when a series reaches a planned climax (in this case, the Battle of Waterloo), any books that come after are usually anticlimactic and have nowhere near the story-telling tension. Cornwell, however, true to form, spins a fascinating adventure tale of 5 years after the end of the Napoleonic Wars.[return][return]It� s 1820, Napoleon is now � in exile� on St. Helena, and Sharpe, since the end of the war, has been l...more
Dark-Draco
I have owned this book for a long time and must have read it at least twice, but I had absolutely no recollection of the story at all.

It is after the war and Sharpe is content to be farming Lucille's lands in France. But when an old friend visits him, he is dragged back into conflict.. Blas Vivar's wife wants him to travel to Chile and find out what happened to her husband. The Spanish authorities say that he is missing, but no body has been found and the reports are confused. With Harper in tow...more
Nathan
It is five years since we last saw Sharpe and Harper. Now he is called out of retirement to find out what heppened to an old comrade, and finds himself in Chile during that country's war of independence.

Cornwell does a fairly good job of showing the two old soldiers as old soldiers. They are a little slower, a bit wiser and certainly a bit less gung ho.

Unfortunately the story that it all hangs off is a bit weak, and as with Sharpe's Waterloo, they find themselves largely spctators in somebody el...more
Edoardo Albert
After the slightly disappointing Sharpe's Waterloo this, presumably the last adventure for Richard Sharpe and Patrick Harper, is a welcome return to form, with the retired pair taking down their old weapons and setting off to South America to find an old friend. Along the way, they meet Napoleon in exile on St Helena, and then become embroiled in the extraordinary operations of Lord Cochrane, one time British naval commander and now admiral of the Chilean navy rebelling against Spanish rule. Coc...more
Marcus
Last of 'Sharpies', feels a bit like an end of an epoch! Since I've now read all 20+ volumes of this cycle, the question whether I like these books must be regarded as rhetorical. Sure, for nt:h time, they are formulaic and predictable and if you expect heights of literary experience, you'll be disappointed. But if you want fun reads with charming characters and riveting pace, any book in this series is a safe bet and 'Sharpe's Devil' is one of the better individual efforts on Cornwell's part.
Chris Lytle
It's been too long since I immersed myself in the early 19th century exploits of Richard Sharpe. By the end of the prologue, I was all in. Cornwell is the master of this Napoleonic era and this time around he takes us to St Helena for an audiance with the Emperor himself.

With his pal Patrick in tow, Sharpe is on route to Chile to locate a missing friend, at his wife's bequest. Caught between the ruling and corrupt Spanish, dubious British authorities and the Devilish Rebels, Sharpe is forced to...more
Jeff Yoak
After 24 novels and 17 months of my life, it is finally time to say goodbye to Sharpe and Harper. In the epilogue the author says, "And so far as I know, they lived happily ever after." I find that I'm a bit sad that the journey is over and I too wish them happiness. They've earned the rest.

The series doesn't end on one of its stronger notes. The war ended at Waterloo. Sharpe's Ransom is an excellent story capturing the life Sharpe is to live as a country farmer in France. This novel feels tacke...more
Geoff Ridgeley
The weakest along with Prey in the series.

Taught me about the Revolution of Chile and other South American countries and their need for a champion - what an amazing story and so well told. It made me want to find out more about Admiral Cochrane and who did kill Boney.

Really good read on fact and fiction fronts.
Peter Hall
This book is amazing their are so many twists and turns in it and it really is a great end to the Richard Sharpe series. As the story begins Lucille Parker, Don Blas' wife shows up and asks Sharpe if he will go to Chile and try to find Don Blas as he has been missing for awhile. On his way to Chile with Harper they stop off on the island of St.Helena for an interview with Napoleon himself and he asks them to deliver a picture of himself to a British officer who is a big admirer of Napoleon. So e...more
James
I was worried about this book. The Sharpe series is one of my favourites and the vast majority are set in the Napoleonic wars and feature true historical events (adapted for fiction, of course). This one, however is set five years after Waterloo. I therefore thought it would be quite different from the bulk of the rest of the series.

And it is. But not in a bad way. All the Sharpe books are a combination of military action and an adventure story. Sharpe's devil is more adventure story driven than...more
Rachel
This was my first introduction to Richard Sharpe and Cornwell's Sharpe Novels. I will definitely be reading more. If you enjoy historical fiction, give Cornwell a try- he has become one of my favorites.
Dorothy
The 21'st and last book in Bernard Cornwell's Richard Sharpe series. It's one last battle for Sharpe and Harper and a bit of an epilogue for Napoleon. This book wasn't quite necessary to end the series, but I found it a nice draw down as I've read them all in chronological order, which I'm very glad to have done. I spent several months living in Sharpe's fascinating world. I never tired of Cornwell's voice as he revealed it. His depth of historical research and accuracy may have spoiled me for o...more
Sue
There has not been a single Richard sharpe book that I have not loved. No exceptiond
Rick Brindle
The last Sharpe novel, chronologically, and for me, the most disappointing. The story wasn't as engaging as the earlier stories, and it seems that Bernard Cornwell was just going through the motions with this one. Undoubtedly he is capable of writing much better, and I'm glad that the rest of the Sharpe books were such a pleasure to read. If you've read the previous 20 Sharpe books, then of course you'll read this one as well, and while it's far from being bad, it won't hit you between the eyes...more
Al
This must be the last book in the series, and maybe it's just as well. Here, Sharpe has been retired from the army for ten years and is farming in France with his significant other and their children. He and his sidekick are persuaded to go to Chile to locate an old friend (from the Spanish army) who has vanished. Again, Mr. Cornwell's story is solidly based on actual historical fact. In this case, though, it seemed to me to take a long time to get going and be a little labored throughout.
Lisa Buie-Collard
I love the history in Cornwell's books and the way he writes it, from, in this case, Sharpe's point of view. I have to admit I'm a diehard Sharpe fan. I'm glad Sharpe is still "alive" and swinging that ugly sword of his!
If you like battle accounts then read Bernard Cornwell. Somehow he always makes it different and even though gory, they are still interesting and get your pulse up.Bernard Cornwell
Danzaiss
Ah... I've reached the end of the series.
I gave the first three books to my father-in-law four weeks - for his birthday. At that time, I also told him that I had all the remaining books and if he liked the first three, I'd give him the rest of them. Needless to save, he liked the stories and he's now on the fifth one.
These were not only very entertaining, they also provided insight and revelation into the Napoleonic era.
Michael
It is great to learn something so completely new. Apparently, the country of Chile was formed after a revolution against the Spanish... led by a high-ranking English lord who was kicked out of that country for cheating on the stock market. He was also in league with the exiled Napoleon, because Napoleon promised a life of constant war and excitement. Good book. Not the best Sharpe book I have read, but I learned a lot.
Kyle
The final book in the Sharpe series, it is a bit of a let-down as the two heroes are dragged out of retirement for one final romp in the Chilean countryside. Most of the non-recurring characters were unremarkable, and at times the story dragged as Sharpe and Harper were whisked from scene to scene, and it wasn't until the climax that things picked up. I guess it really is time to say 'adieu' to the series.
Pygmy
Oh beautiful. My first Sharpe book ever, after watching almost all of the tv show with Sean Bean. Very pleased with the way the author writes; adventurous, rousing, smart naval warfare, great tough characters, and a certain feel to the writing that reminds me of early 20th century fiction. I like this author's voice more than the guy who wrote Horatio Hornblower. Will definitely read more.
Stuart
Well that's it! The last of the Sharpe series of novels finished. A one-off as it takes place in South America in 1820 and involves Chile's break from the Spanish Empire. Another good read involving Sharpe, Harper, Admiral Cochrane (a real character) and the imprisonned Napoleon.

I can look at the TV series now and get on with reading the Wilbur Smith novels, my next target.
Ben Farnell
There's no way I would've read something like this normally. Never quite got the ITV historical drama with Sean Bean, but my father-in-law recommended it and being a fan of the Flashman books (which does the same 'putting a fictional character into real events' kinda thing) I was willing to give it a go. And I have to say it's blooming marvellous. A rip-roaring read.
Jansen Wee
Done with this book, and thus with the series (less the short stories). Again, it was highly enjoyable, except for the part that mentioned it was Sharpe's "first sea fight", which didn't square away with Sharpe's Trafalgar, and also that he had not met Nelson, which he did in that same book mentioned earlier.
Goodreads Librari...: Format needs adding 5 22 Nov 28, 2013 09:22AM
  • The Generals (Revolution, #2)
  • Hornblower and the Atropos (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #5)
  • A Battle Won (Charles Hayden, #2)
  • In Gallant Company (Richard Bolitho, #5)
Cornwell was born in London in 1944. His father was a Canadian airman, and his mother was English, a member of the Women's Auxiliary Air Force. He was adopted and brought up in Essex by the Wiggins family, who were members of the Peculiar People, a strict Protestant sect who banned frivolity of all kinds and even medicine. After he left them, he changed his name to his mother's maiden name, Cornwe...more
More about Bernard Cornwell...
The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1) The Winter King (The Warlord Chronicles, #1) Lords of the North (The Saxon Stories, #3) The Pale Horseman (The Saxon Stories, #2) The Archer's Tale (The Grail Quest, #1)