Start by marking “Eight Animals Bake A Cake” as Want to Read:
Eight Animals Bake A Cake

Eight Animals Bake A Cake

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  51 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Eight animals--"ocho animales"--get together to whip up a cake in this book that features easy words in English and Spanish, making it ideal for non-Spanish speakers as well as Spanish speakers learning English. Full-color illustrations.
Published July 22nd 2002 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Eight Animals Bake A Cake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eight Animals Bake A Cake

Helen Kumpel
This book is for: ESOL, K-5
Topic: Chemical/Physical Changes
Math/Science Activity: "Adding ingredients" Have students measure out the ingredients and actually make the cake
Also, you could have the students in groups and each of the groups measures out a specific ingredient inaccurately. (Four cakes. One with too much sugar. One with too much flour. One with not enough eggs. One with no oil.) Bake it. Students will see that by not accurately measuring the ingredients they will not produce a yummy
Melinda Garman
This fiction bilingual book was written by a Spanish teacher and geared towards young children. The glossary in the beginning of the book gives the Spanish word first and then the English definition. Each page rhymes and every Spanish word is bolded in the text. Also, at the top and bottom of each picture on the page, the English word is used first and then the Spanish word to the right of it. The pictures are very descriptive and allow children to understand the story even if they are hearing t ...more
Brigid
Apr 22, 2016 Brigid rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: caregivers, parents
This is the first Elya book we read to our son and it was magical for us. Our sugar jar still has "Azucar" as a label from reading this book. Read what happens when these eight animal friends get together to make a cake. They each provide an ingredient and the author adds a dash of Spanish vocabulary into the mix. Extremely fun to read--great rhymes and cadence.
Kathryn Hogan
This book was wonderful. It had rhyming, math, and a mixture of Spanish. This book had the words not only in English but the same word in Spanish and it is clearly seen and understood in the story. The book is well crafted and would be a wonderful read for a fourth or fifth grade student. I would recommend this book to any teacher and this book could even be offered in an ELL inclusion classroom.I would love to have this book in my own classroom and use it to all of its advantages. In math the b ...more
Katarina Miller
Feb 24, 2015 Katarina Miller rated it it was amazing
This book really incorporates two different languages effectively. The Spanish is not overwhelming, but enough to teach a variety of words. It also teaches a lesson on taking a mistake and making it into something better.
Haley Bergman
Mar 30, 2012 Haley Bergman rated it really liked it
This book is absolutely adorable. Eight animals come together to bake a cake, and each animal provides an essential ingredient. When the it is time to take the cake out of the over, the animals fight over who gets to take it out. The cake ends up falling on the floor and breaking into pieces. The book is written in English, but there are Spanish words sprinkled throughout each page. When a Spanish word is used, the English meaning is included in the illustration on the page; usually in the borde ...more
K.C.
May 13, 2016 K.C. rated it liked it
We didn't not particularly care for the use of spanish within the story.
Sierra Watts
Jul 17, 2015 Sierra Watts rated it really liked it
This is a good book to teach children about teamwork. It also teaches them a few words in Spanish.
Lbrown107
Apr 18, 2012 Lbrown107 rated it really liked it
This book was wonderful. It had rhyming, math, and a mixture of Spanish. It is a counting book with illustrations big enough to use as a read aloud and have the students following along, counting the ingredients being put into the cake. The book is well crafted and would be a wonderful read for a first grade class. I would recommend this book to any teacher and this book could even be offered in an ELL inclusion classroom. I would love to have this book in my own classroom and use it to all of i ...more
Renee
Apr 29, 2012 Renee rated it really liked it
Summary:Eight animals add ingredients to make a cake with unexpected results. Includes Spanish words, a glossary, and recipe for pineapple upside-down cake.

In rhyme

Would be great for a preschool story time but I didn't know how to pronounce all of the Spanish words. For that reason I couldn't make it flow nicely. I don't think I would do well with this as a read aloud unless I heard some of these words and could pronounce them successfully during the reading.

Anna Francesca
Jun 01, 2010 Anna Francesca rated it it was amazing
This is my daughter's new favorite book. From an early literacy perspective, I like how it includes the concepts ofcounting and naming animals. I also love how it incorporates Spanish into the story in context so that it is clear what it means. The bright illustrations are engaging. Mostly, though, I like hearing my daughter start to tell the story aloud back to me after having heard the story multiple times. :-)
Angela
Grade: k-5
Topic: Chemical and physical changes

This is a great book for ELLs and non spanish speakers alike. The students can also use a recipe to bake their own cake (or something similar). The students can measure out the ingredients and then discuss what changes will take place when it bakes. This will also help with students who are learning how to follow recipes.
Antonia
Jun 16, 2013 Antonia rated it really liked it
This is a great beginner Spanish book for any teacher that is not bi-lingual. It has a fun plot and story line. The pictures are vibrant and fun. The story rhymes and connect each point in English and Spanish. It also adds the ideas of cooking and gives a basic recipe in the back of the book to try with your students in the class.
Lea
Feb 26, 2013 Lea rated it it was amazing
Simple spanish vocabulary words are woven into this story about friends struggling to cooperate. I am upgrading this one more star because more than two years after we first read it my son asks for the animales and weaves the plot of animals baking together into his own imaginative play and stories, so clearly it struck a chord with him.
Susie
Apr 12, 2012 Susie rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book because it has words in Spanish and enables you to have the children translate the words. Helps them to see the words in ENglish and in Spanish.
Susan Klemetti
Jul 05, 2013 Susan Klemetti rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute little book written in Spanglish about how to bake a cake.
Cristina
Nov 16, 2011 Cristina rated it really liked it
Simple text, rhyming, uses spanish food vocab.
Maria
Aug 04, 2012 Maria added it
Cute bilingual book to learn animal names.
Mckinley
Jan 23, 2014 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture, cooking, animal
bilingual food words
Kathy Weigert
Kathy Weigert marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Irena
Irena added it
Feb 06, 2016
Brandie Gonzalez Franklin
Brandie Gonzalez Franklin rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Fatima
Fatima rated it did not like it
Nov 30, 2015
Kaylee Weems
Kaylee Weems rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2015
JoDell López
JoDell López marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Cherylynn
Cherylynn rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2015
Torrie Wilson
Torrie Wilson marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015