3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  391 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Gambler's Woman
Dark, dangerous Jordan Kyle lived life on his own terms, setting his own rules and playing for high stakes. He moved through the world alone and was satisfied to have it that way - until he encountered Alyssa Chandler.

By day Alyssa was a cool, controlled mathematical whiz. But by night ... oh, at night she became a creature of beauty and passion who was more...more
Mass Market Paperback, 301 pages
Published (first published January 1st 1984)

♡Karlyn P♡
This was such a bizarre story - and not in a good way. It was down right awful. The hero was such a jerk that I kept waiting for her to get the restraining order and kick him and his dominating angry temper to the curb. But nooooooo, this brilliant modern woman must like the abuse - despite her desire for a good decent loving man. This book implies that he is a good man, but the story never shows it. And within a matter of days she turns her entire life upside down to be in this sick codependent...more
Jacob Proffitt
The site I picked this audiobook up from marked it as a recent publication. After listening a while, I started digging into that assertion because it was... bad. Bad in a way that was way more common back in the day. Also, I kept wondering why they didn't have cell phones. So yeah, originally published in the early 1980s the sexism of this book was gratingly bad. Jordan is an abusive jerktard and that Alyssa didn't immediately show him the door (and call in police protection if needed) just didn...more
Mindy
Page 200

It’s only when a book really disappoints or ticks me off that I write a review about it before I finish it. This one is ticking me off. I'm not sure how Krentz can salvage Jordan’s obsessive behavior. Even if Alyssa and Jordan had been friends or in a relationship for a long time, he couldn’t get away with his threats. His jealousy is ugly, not appealing or flattering to Alyssa in the least. I’m going to finish the book because I’m interested in seeing how it can work out – or if it only...more
Jane
I like the work of Jayne Krentz whether she's writing as her, Amanda Quick or Jayne Castle so when I saw this for d/l at the library I grabbed it. Big mistake. It was written in 1983 and I think if she tried to publish it today, it'd never make it. I hope it wouldn't anyway. Her publishers have done her a disservice not letting this stay buried.

I started it and almost gave up within a few pages because the hero has 'antique gold' eyes and the heroine's are 'sea-green'. Oh yes. Brown and grey are...more
Kesha
This, seriously, may be the worst book I have ever picked up. Never finished it.
Farah
I should have guessed I wouldn't like it since the setting is something I don't enjoy "casinos and gambling" but I thought I'd give it a try anyways but at the end I wasn't grabbed by the book , the plot was a bit boring to me and the characters weren't intriguing or even a bit interesting , they lacked chemistry and likeability. Alyssa contradicted herself sometimes especially at the end of the book , maybe if it was done in a slower pace it would have made sense but instead her job turned fr...more
ms bookjunkie
I knew what I was getting into, reading a reissued JAK-writing-as-SJ book. It would be old skool. So I knew to expect it, and could enjoy some of the story.

But there's not getting around the fact that the hero is a painfully old-skool alphole, with the actions of one. He doesn't call, then shows up uninvited at her dinner party? Accuses her of an affair with a coworker? Oy. He isn't rapey though, so I could enjoy the story beyond the cringe-worthy parts.

Cringe-worthy parts: (view spoiler)...more
Jean
The characters were intriguing and their interactions were fun to read. However, the story progressed too fast without the right development. Jordon came off as a borderline stalker and his actions were questionable. We didn't get enough character development to reconcile that. It was also very hard to reconcile the resolution of the story as well. In fact, I think that was the main hurdle for me when reading this book. Alyssa was intriguing and well developed as well as her portion of the story...more
Girllovesbeach
The story had potential but the writing was flat and the characters were not likable. I made it about a third of the way through and then put it down.
Maria
Although the setting is in a world I don't care for, i.e., gambling (There is nothing more boring I have found), I did enjoy the math references, few as there were. Being a math major myself, I was surprised that Alyssa had found a job anywhere other than in computer science or teaching. There wasn't enough on that in the book to understand what her firm actually did with the math. As for the relationship between them, Jordan was a bit too aggressive and at times, almost a bully, but by the end,...more
Jordan sounds like he could be a sexy hero, but as you read on, you realize he's controlling, a complete jerk and probably a future-abusive mate. He shows up uninvited at her house and throws a tantrum when he doesn't get his way. Then he accuses any guy who talks to her of having an affair with the heroine. Could have been a better romance if he was more likable and not a psychopath in the making.
Paraphrodite
Another JAK oldie. This one is a bit weird as the hero is a professional gambler. Do they still exist?

The heroine is a statistician and has been spending her weekends in Las Vegas winning money for fun and the hero decides she's his perfect match. But she only wanted a fantasy man and when her fantasy and real world collided, she was not happy at all.

Not one of JAK's better works.

Laurie
Listened on audio book and did not care for the narrator. The transition between characters was hard to distinguish and often times left me lost. The story started out as a quirky tale of seduction but Jordan became borderline stalker instead of sexy. The author likes the word 'laconic' and the gambling metaphors got old. Enjoyed the seduction and the ending.
Holly
Gambling is not anything I like and his character was demeaning and controlling.. Not even close to a favorite read . Thumbs down :(
Alboiu
.... ha .... wtf? ....
By the middle of the book i expected the "good guy" to show up and save the silly heroine from the beating Jordan gives her. It still felt like the guy was on edge when only a quarter of the book was left. And then BAM! they were in love ....
Left me open-mouthed and frustrated (in a bad way).
Alicia
The hero is a bully and complete control freak. All I could think as I was reading it was that if the heroine was a friend of mine I'd be passing her information on women's shelters. Stilted dialogue, awkward character intractions in general. The worst Krentz book I've read.
Brenda Audiobooks Only
Narrated by

I liked it when I read it but that was a loooong time ago. So many of these early 80's storylines are too over the top with Neanderthal heroes to hold up to current standards, maybe I'll see how the audiobook stands up someday.
Marissa Joyce
wow. the relationship in this book has so many semi-abusive traits that I was just pulling for the protagonist to get a restraining order and run far, far away from this man. i got goosebumps reading it... and not the good kind.
Petie McCarty
I didn't know Jayne Ann Krentz wrote as Stephanie James. Gambler's Woman must have been one of her very first books, originally published in 1983. Still an enjoyable read.
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
Eh, this book was just okay for me. It wasn't memorable. Still it was a fast read with not much complexity. The writer's voice, Ms. James was fine. Just not my thing.
Lady
Oct 16, 2012 Lady marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
February Four
That was fun! It ended a little too quickly, so it's probably a novella rather than a full-length novel, but it was a really enjoyable read!
Rebecca
The manipulation and control in the relationship is so real it makes you want consequences of their behaviour to happen, but they don't!
Becky
Not my favorite book by Jayne Ann Krentz. I'll never pick it up again, worst book she wrote IMO.
Janice Hildreth
Another of her earlier books that is borderline scary because of the manipulation
Ruth
Good. Originally pub under Stephanie James pseudonym 1983 Silhouette Desire.
Holly
I suppose this means I have to turn in my feminist membership.....
Miki
Oh my goodness...what a mish-mash of purple prose.
Verity
AMANDA QUICK / JAK
  • The Main Attraction

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Sant...more
More about Jayne Ann Krentz...
Running Hot (Arcane Society, # 5) Fired Up (Arcane Society, #7; Dreamlight Trilogy, #1) All Night Long Sizzle and Burn (Arcane Society, # 3) Smoke in Mirrors