Start by marking “The Awakening (Amnar, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Awakening (Amnar, #1)

The Awakening (Amnar #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Everything in Io's life is about to change. She's grown up fixing saddles for her older sister and Daar, the errand-runners in a city on the brink of war.

She believes she's about to join in a fight to liberate the city from the oppressive forces of an Empire threatening to destroy them.

Except she's about to find out that in fact, she's destined to become the next leader of...more
Published (first published August 25th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Awakening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Awakening

Mike
Recommended by a friend on Twitter, The Execution counted as my first tentative steps into I J Black's world of Amnar, and it didn't disappoint. Originally intending to read just a few pages while waiting for the washing machine to finish its cycle, I found myself on the couch a few hours later with the damp clothes still inside the drum and a finished book in front of me.

Right from the off, Black's strong character development shines through as we're taken on a tour-de-force of the ancient soci...more
Jennyryan72
I first discovered Amnar and Ms. Black about 2 years ago, when the previous version of this story was being released as podcasts. I was instantly hooked, and eagerly awaited each new installment of the story.

Now the podcasts have stopped, but in exchange we Amnar fans can finally have a hard copy of the book that we've been following for quite some time now, during its various incarnations.

Amnar is fascinating from the first time you step into it. It's an amazing, incredibly well-developed world...more
Lise
Interesting world, but it 'reads' like the second in the series, not the first. Could do with some more description of the physical set up, and a better idea of the world Io *thought* she grew up in.
Karen
Excellent story, I had a difficult time putting it down to go make dinner.
Beverly
Beverly marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Dalana
Dalana marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2013
Trisha
Trisha marked it as to-read
May 28, 2012
Mark Chambers
Mark Chambers marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2011
Shayne Power
Shayne Power marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2011
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2011
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2011
Ash
Ash marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2011
The Inheritor (Amnar, #2) Rumours (Five Empires, #3) Escape (Five Empires #1) Five Empires: Wasps The Expulsion (Amnar, #3)