Start by marking “The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle” as Want to Read:
The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle
Preview

The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  209 ratings  ·  43 reviews
All Prunella wants is to be a proper bog-witch. Unfortunately, her curses tend to do more good than harm. When her mixed-up magic allows a sneaky thief to escape her grandmother’s garden, Prunella is cast out until she can prove herself.

It’s hard enough being exiled to the unmagical Uplands, but traveling with the smug young thief Barnaby is even worse. He’s determined to
Published May 25th 2010 by Henry Holt and Co.

To ask other readers questions about The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle

Valerie
A really great book for young readers. I think that if I read this book when I was a kid (or read to me) I might've gotten into reading earlier. A story like Prunella's I probably would’ve read over and over again. I might’ve reenacted Prunella’s world, cast spells on my sisters, and pretend I had a pet alligator. Or maybe I would just like the book and read it often. But in any case I think this would be a fantastic read for young readers.

However, don’t assume this book is a traditional fantas
CLM
Sep 04, 2011 CLM marked it as to-read
My nephew just read and loved this - I am coaxing my sister to let him join Goodreads but she wants him to focus on 3rd grade (spoilsport).
Doret
This is a beauiful cover and fits the story perfectly. The artist behind it is Bradon Dorman. I love seeing a kid of color on a middle grade novel. I believe Prunella, mentions her brown skin once. This lone mention makes me appreciate the cover even more, the publishers Henry Holt could have easily pretended they didn't see

"Just the same clear brown skin and snub nose I'd always had. Blast it!."

Instead, they embraced and reinforced it with the cover. So much kudos to Henry Holt.

Prunella Bogthi
Ari
May 26, 2010 Ari rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like fairy tales, magic, adventure, middle school students
An absolutely charming book that blends friendship, magic and adventure. Prunella Bothistle is a witch you will be cheering for (just don't cheer too late because a proper bog witch does not like praise!)

My only minor quibbles with this book concern the lack of information about Prunella's family. Why was she living with her grandmother? What happened to her parents? I was really curious and I hoped it would be revealed later on, but it's not. I also wanted to know more about Prunella's grandmot
Elevetha
It was cute enough, thought there was nothing terribly engaging. Nothing serious though either.

The atmosphere was very "The Princess and the Frog" Disney movie. Down in the bayous and bogs of a magical Louisiana is what it felt like to me.

The characters, Prunella and Barnaby, were nothing special. They weren't quite cookie-cutter but on the verge.

The plot was rather blah till around page 200 and then we got some background as to the chalice and the grimoire. That made me very happy. That was the
Melody
Disclaimer: I know the author of this charming book. But I'm also working hard to be objective. Just so you know.

Prunella Bogthistle is an inept bog-witch who can't even charm a wart onto her face. She does, however, catch a young thief in her grandmother's garden. Mischances and problems ensue, and the two of them end up having a host of scary adventures and meeting up with some unlikely heroes and villains. It's a whooshing ride of a book, with plot twists in plenty.

I love Prunella. When the
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Joan Stradling for TeensReadToo.com

Prunella wants to be a proper bog-witch, but her curses end up helping instead of harming.

Her inability to curse allows a thief, Barnaby, to escape from her grandmother's garden and gets Prunella banished until she can do a proper curse.

Barnaby is on a quest to gain fame and fortune by finding the Mirable Chalice and returning it to the queen. Now, Prunella must team up with the very thief who got her kicked out of her bog if she hopes to prove hers
Shanshad Whelan
Delightful. A romp of a story where no one is quite what they seem and our protagonists discover that who they think they are may not be the truth of who they really are growing up to be. Plenty of magical mayhem, conflicts of goals and coming of age themes are explored as we follow Prunella on her journey.

I was surprised at how well this story played out without becoming cliche, or being entirely predictable. Not only well told but with enough surprises of character and outcomes that it kept ev
This was a really cute MG/younger YA novel about Prunella Bogthistle, a bog-witch who just can't seem to get her curses to work correctly, and Barnaby Bagby, a thief trying to make good. I found the story a tiny bit uneven in places, and you definitely get whacked on the head with the moral(s) of the story at the end (it's important to get both sides of a story, because the story you know may not be the true story; it's important to be true to yourself and not do things just because others expec ...more
Marsha
On the surface, this is your typical boy-meets-girl, adventure-quest-type of book. But the subjects here go a little deeper than that. Boy and girl are from different parts of the world and happy to be in their own settled niches. But as with any decent adventure story, something happens to jolt both of them out of their lives and send them a-questing.

Mr. Fagan shows that his hero and heroine aren’t quite so contented in their lives as they’d have each other believe. Their predicaments are belie
Tina Wilson
A very fun read. One I think I'll save to read aloud with Brooke down the road. A good JF story - lots of adventure, fun characters and a main character with an awesome name (I have a good friend from college I've always called Prunella).
Ofilia
Prunella is a plucky sort of witch and Barnaby a Gilderoy Lockheart in training. Still they make a fine pair as they try to save their homeland from “the waste” some force that is stealing all enchantments from the land. It was a good message about magic coming from within and not judging people based on their looks or what people like them have done before. Prunella’s desire for her grandmother’s love is pointed out a lot, which gets a bit tiresome. I did like how the person they were so afraid ...more
Linnae
Prunella really wants to be a bog witch, just like her many relations. But her spells leave something to be desired. They lack a certain fierceness, for example. What's more, her grandmother kicked her out of the bog.

Her partner in adventures is the smooth-talking, admiration seeking, dapper young thief named Barnaby. Together they have a job to do: recover the Mirable Chalice and (possibly) redeem their reputations...such as they are.

Quick read, fun. I liked how the Prunella's perspective matu
Erica
I happened upon this book on the new books display at the library while picking out some books for my son. The cover caught my eye. I had never read anything by Deva Fagan before (this is her second book), but it sounded like a book I would like. I was right. I really enjoyed it. It's definately a book geared towards younger kids (it was in the juvenile section). It's a book about magic, adventure, friendship, self discovery, and acceptance. I highly recommend this book! I'll be reading her firs ...more
Y
3.5 stars.

Cute story, likeable characters, a bunch of interesting ideas. Too much showing and not telling in terms of the world-building, supposedly because the author didn't want to bog things down with exposition, but.... Give me a whole bestiary's-worth amount of explanation on all the creatures in the book! I also would've really liked a map of the place, like some fantasy novels do.

I also liked that the world was like some sort of fantasy-Louisiana/Southern US, since so many fantasies autom
Miranda Elli
A little too episodic for my tastes, but still very cute.
Rad
Prunella Bogthistle, HOW OLD ARE YOU?!?

EDIT 10/8/11:
I added a star to my review, because looking at the cover that I have as one of my circulating desktop pictures, I remembered how much I really liked a lot of the elements in this book. And reading other reviews made me realize that I loved the fantasy setting and all the silly, fun creatures. And that I loved the silly, fun characters.

So I'm adding a star. And I'm bumping it up to my wish-i-owned shelf until I own it.
Susann
I had cornbread with dinner last night, because of this book. It made me hungry, not only for fried bread, molasses pie, and hot-leaf tea, but for star-shaped buttons, light-dells, and mossy riverbanks.

It was great fun watching Prunella's prickles bump into Barnaby's foppery, as the two set off on their quest through the Uplands. And it was even more satisfying to follow Prunella as she slowly and stubbornly came into her own.
John
Prunella was truly excellent. This had all the great elements I loved from Fagan's first book - excellent characters, fun plot twists, moral dilemmas and lessons to be learned. But I enjoyed this one even more than Fortune's Folly. There's something about our pair of unlikely heroes staggering their way through adventure after adventure that really warmed my heart and made me want more. I'm greatly looking forward to her 3rd book!
Karen Pulice
a really good tale of a girl learning to listen to and follow her own dreams and goals rather than having others determine your life
Annie
Poor Prunella is not a proper bog witch at all! She doesn't have any warts and her curses don't work. When Barnaby shows up in their garden, her whole world turns upside-down and they set off on an impossible quest. Prunella discovers some things about herself, and others, that she never thought possible. Love this unique tale. Recommended for students in 4th & 5th, maybe 3rd.
Laura Pauling
Prunella is kicked out of the bog for not being a proper witch. She hooks up with a boy who is looking for the stolen chalice to break the curse on the land. They team up together: one to be the hero and one to become a proper villain.

This story is beautifully written with lots of great sensory details and visual images. I believe middle grade readers will enjoy this book.
Cindy
I loved this book. It kept me captivated even as an adult which is good. I loved the fact that the characters grew as the story went along and there was just the right amount of action, character growth and world building to make it a wonderful story!

I hope there are a few more books in this series. It would really make my day!
Elizabeth
This is a great romp. The story is a tale of coming of age, adventures, and magic, and both main characters are fascinating. There are a number of unexpected twists in the plot that will keep the reader guessing, and the story moves a pretty good pace. Fans of fantasy will enjoy the book. It gets three out of four stars.
Robin Herrera
Super fun book. One of those rare instances where I liked the book more and more in the days that followed after I finished it. I still think about it sometimes. Need to buy it! (I had checked a copy out from the library, and they don't let you keep the books even if you really, really like them.)

EDIT: I BOUGHT IT
Emyrose8
You know, at first I wasn't sure if I would like it or not, but the book really grew on me the further I got into the story. I'm not a huge fan of witches and magic spells, so I didn't particularly care for that part, but I love the plot and the characters. Plus the book has a happy ending.
Erin
This was a cute story that reminded me of The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede. There is an endearing teamwork between Prunella and Barnaby and the theme of discovering yourself. I also thought the concept of power mad rulers who put on a kind face was appropriate.
The Library Lady
I could not get JR to read this, but I am going to try again, because I enjoyed it immensely. My favorite sort of blend of fantasy, humor and the classic theme of a girl who doesn't fit in finding out who she is and where she belongs. Deva Fagan has done it again!
Rose
Sep 08, 2011 Rose added it
A fun, lighthearted MG fantasy about a girl who wants to be a mean witch so her family will accept her—but she’s kind of nice, actually. So she gets kicked out and ends up with a thief, each with their own agenda, only they become friends as well.
Ji Mei ^_^
I loved this book! It was cute that Prunella tried so hard to be a witch and mean to Barnaby, and ends up saving the land and falling in love. It has similar humor and fun to The Frog Princess by E.D. Baker, and it has unique twists on its own.
  • Ivy's Ever After
  • The Runaway Dragon (Runaway Princess, #2)
  • Magic Below Stairs
  • Kid vs. Squid
  • The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic
  • The Secret Life of Ms. Finkleman
  • Finding Family
  • The Midnight Tunnel (Suzanna Snow, #1)
  • Renegade Magic (Kat, Incorrigible, #2)
  • Walls Within Walls
  • Rose and the Lost Princess (Rose, #2)
  • Missing on Superstition Mountain (Missing on Superstition Mountain, #1)
  • The Extra-Ordinary Princess
  • The Traveling Restaurant: Jasper's Voyage in Three Parts (A Tale of Fontania #1)
2023476
I’m Deva Fagan, a writer of fantasy and science fiction for teens and tweens.

My humorous fantasy adventures Fortune’s Folly and The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle are available now, and coming in Fall 2011 is Circus Galacticus, the story of Trix Ling, an Earth-girl who runs away to a life of adventure and danger as part of an intergalactic circus.

A few things I love: astronomy, tea,
More about Deva Fagan...
Fortune's Folly Circus Galacticus

“Our words were a shaky ladder; all I could do was climb, uncertain if I was about to surmount a glorious peak or fall and smash myself on the rocks below.” 1 likes