Start by marking “The End of Prosperity: How Higher Taxes Will Doom the Economy--If We Let It Happen” as Want to Read:

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  24 reviews

Now available in paperback with a new updated chapter, this timely book by three distinguished economists delivers an urgent message: Americans risk losing their high standard of living if the pro-growth policies of the last twenty-five years are reversed by a new president.

Since the early 1980s, the United States has experienced a wave of prosperity almost unprecedented
Published September 8th 2009 by Threshold Editions (first published October 7th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The End of Prosperity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End of Prosperity

Arminius
This book can be a little dry unless you have a unique interest in how to dig the U.S. out of the 2011 recession and make it into the economic giant it once was. The steps to do so seem easy to do accept for the fact that little of our political culture seem to understand economics. Members of the United States House of Representatives, Senate and the President himself should read this book.

The book was written by economist Art Laffer, Stephen Moore and Peter Tanous. Laffer is famous for creatin
Bernie
Laffer, Moore, and Tanous created a provocative title in, "The End of Prosperity". Good move, because it got me to pick up the book. I was expecting the book to be about our current economic crisis, and it is, but mostly it is a history lesson arguing the soundness of supply side economics. Boring? Actually no, it was, if such a thing is possible, an ecomonics page turner whereby the authors explain, in simple, convincing language why the supply side policies of the past created economic lift-of ...more
Rama
A review of current economic chaos

The End of Prosperity is a very realistic look at the current bleak economic situation facing United States since Great Depression of 1929. The reform that was created as a result of this Great Depression; the creation Security Exchange Commission, relentless efforts for corporate transparency, and greater information for investment decisions fired backwards to destroy these very ideals that upheld the free enterprise system in a strange twist of events.

Mortgag
getAbstract
Expert look at heated tax debate

Arthur B. Laffer, Stephen Moore and Peter J. Tanous give Ronald Reagan full credit for laying the foundation for decades of U.S. prosperity. They see today’s government programs as a return to the worst of Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal and Lyndon B. Johnson’s Great Society. The authors find it strange that the U.S. is adopting a more European model just as many European countries are moving more toward Reaganomics. They suggest a different path to good fortune
Robbie
Everyone should read this book!

A fair and extremely intelligent representation of the state of this country, "The End of Prosperity" offers a look, or prediction rather, that is already unfolding in the United States, bringing the entire country into an irrecoverable economic despair. It is frightening to read about aspects of the tax system that the three authors explicitly warn against, and see the policies by the left being currently enacted. If only people read this and understood that, no,
Randy
Two very experienced, practical economists presage the economic downturn of October 2008, and the mistakes of the Bush and Obama administrations reacting to it.

Steve Moore, senior editor of the Wall Street Journal and Dr. Arthur Laffer, advisor to President Reagan and namesake of the Laffer Curve, lay out the theory and the empirical dimensions for the conservative case.

It has always seemed to me that liberals want to redesign the society (including the economy) to match the way they think peop
Dale
How to ruin an economy in 10 simple steps

The End of Prosperity: How Higher Taxes Will Doom the Economy--If We Let It Happen is a well-written book, filled with charts and graphs, is a great introduction to the principles of the Laffer Curve, the dangers of high taxes and the folly of many of the proposals that the Democrat leadership in the House, the Senate and Mr. Obama (and some Republicans) are proposing. On page 261 these foolish proposals and policies are laid out in detail. Hopefully, af
David Robins
A good sound look at how economic practices can help or harm the economy, from Kennedy, Reagan, and Bush's tax cuts that launched a wave of prosperity, to the protectionist tariffs and high taxes of the 1970s and the destructive socialism from Wilson to the New Deal and Great Society and now Obama's bailouts, proposed tax increases, and profligate spending.
There is a solution that will fix or ameliorate many of the mounting problems, which many countries in Europe have successfully adopted: a fl
Marc
Aug 24, 2009 Marc rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Despite being largely about economics I actually found this book to be a page turner. It was written well for the average Joe to grasp but it didn't shy away from introducing more complicated economic terms and theories.

What was mostly helpful was the concise history of tax policy over the last half century (or so) and the outcomes that were derived from those policies. True, I am a die hard conservative, but I can't believe that people either unaware or unwilling to admit how disastrous certain
Victor
I have always maintained there are two sides of the story. Surprisingly there are more things that I agree with this book than what I originally expected e.g. I'm in favor for a simpler/flat tax code (even though I would propose zero deductions), immigration reform, free trade,etc. I disagree with a couple of positions like death tax but overall a good book easy to read with several facts to back views. However, even though book praises policies in Ireland, Estonia, Russia, etc. when a global ec ...more
Austin Green
Art Laffer does a fantastic job of relating the many issues that our current government is facing in terms of the economy. Laffer provides many sound arguments in favor of the Laffer Curve and low taxes. The statistics and data support his argument--lower taxes leads to higher government revenues. An entire week to read a book on taxes...amazing!!
Naomi
Dead on, smart economics information. I am not a big economics girl but I love the way that Art Laffer writes. He is a master at writing in a way that a layperson could grasp simple economics.
William
Clear restatement of basic economic facts that have been proven over and over. Clearly articulates the outcomes we can expect from the Obama/democrat socialists path.
Rod
Informally written, but a good resource for background about our current economic woes (and why most of the currently proposed remedies won't work).

John
A good review of the good, the bad, and the ugly in the history of economic policies in the US and what we might expect from the incoming regime.
Nedland P.
Excellent book describing how high taxes are killing our economy and offering an alternative (not as good as mine).
Lauri Vance
I think this book should be required reading for those about to vote in this presidential election.
Scott
Ahh, that anyone in our government could read..........
Angela
An excellent read! I learned a lot from this book.
Melissa
This was a great informative book. Easy to read.
Bhall3
A good prose on where this country is headed.
William Kennaugh
where the USA is headed, not good!!
Jeff
Whether you agree with the principles or not, its a refreshing splash of cold water in the face during all the government bailout talk, in this time that "everyone is a Keynesian".
Richard
Jan 19, 2010 Richard is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Enlightening
Kyle Krutek
Kyle Krutek marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Howard Tune
Howard Tune marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Roma Soltysiak
Roma Soltysiak marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
John Heinrich
John Heinrich marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
ALLGEMEINE STEUERN IN SPANIEN, the Tyler Group Barcelona -Booksie 2 2 Sep 30, 2012 05:17AM
  • Woodrow Wilson and the Roots of Modern Liberalism
  • New Deal or Raw Deal?: How FDR's Economic Legacy Has Damaged America
  • Who Killed the Constitution?: The Assault on American Law and the Unmaking of a Nation
  • Freedomnomics: Why the Free Market Works and Other Half-baked Theories Don't
  • Slouching Towards Gomorrah: Modern Liberalism and American Decline
  • America Alone: The End of the World As We Know It
  • The Road to Freedom: How to Win the Fight for Free Enterprise
  • The Forgotten Man: A New History of the Great Depression
  • The Case Against Barack Obama: The Unlikely Rise and Unexamined Agenda of the Media's Favorite Candidate
  • The Mainspring of Human Progress
  • No, They Can't: Why Government Fails-But Individuals Succeed
Return to Prosperity: How America Can Regain Its Economic Superpower Status An Inquiry Into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of States: How Taxes, Energy, and Worker Freedom Change Everything The Private Equity Edge: How Private Equity Players and the World's Top Companies Build Value and Wealth Rich States, Poor States: Alec Laffer State Economic Competitiveness Index Crash Landing: How Bush, Bernanke, Pelosi and Obama Have Wrecked the U.S. Economy (and How to Salvage America's Future)