Start by marking “Quilter's Academy Vol. 1 - Freshman Year: A Skill-Building Course in Quiltmaking” as Want to Read:

This must-have course guides beginners step-by-step through the fundamentals of quiltmaking, from setting up a sewing space to binding and finishing their first quilt.
Published October 16th 2009 by C&T Publishing (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Quilter's Academy Vol. 1 - Freshman Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quilter's Academy Vol. 1 - Freshman Year

JayeL
Apr 04, 2011 JayeL added it
Shelves: quilt, 2011
I have mixed feelings about this book. The idea is GREAT. I applaud the idea, especially in light of the recent Piecemeal Quilts controversy. There is a lot of good information in the book and I think it fills a need. As an experienced quiltmaker, I was pleased to learn some tips and tricks.

My two concerns are the tone and discussion of fabric. The tone is bossy, very much "my way or the highway" and I am concerned that new quiltmakers, without other local resources, would be overwhelmed by the
Sandy H
Jun 06, 2011 Sandy H rated it liked it
Recommended to Sandy by: sandyquiltz@gmail.com
Shelves: quiltmaking
For my review of Quilter's Academy Volume 1: Freshman Year, I really can't help myself but to say, read Jaye's review. Really. Jaye gives a very comprehensive look at the book and reading her review is what convinced me to not only buy volume 1, but 2 and 3 as well. That's not to say that Jaye's review is unequivocally glowing. Rather she points out high points as well as things she has a quibble with, which I really appreciate.

I had debated buying Volume 1 for some time because I've been quilt
Bookworm LLC
Jun 17, 2015 Bookworm LLC rated it liked it
This book was just okay. The patterns seem a little dated and worn out to me. Hopeful the next 3 books in this series will be better.
Rebecca Grace
Aug 08, 2013 Rebecca Grace rated it it was amazing
Shelves: quilting
Recently I discovered Harriet Hargrave's Quilter's Academy series of books. Perfecto! Harriet is a highly respected, trailblazing machine quilter and author who has been teaching and inspiring new quilters since the 1980s. I have her other books, and didn't know whether any of the information in this Freshman Year volume would be new to me, but I was pleasantly surprised. Not only did I find lots of new-to-me information to highlight in this book, but it's also an absolutely ideal textbook for ...more
Darlene
Jun 12, 2014 Darlene rated it really liked it
I'm working through this quilting course slowly. I intend to make most of the projects to build my skills. This edition was chosen as it is the closest to the one I own. I have the paperback with 112 pages. The book itself might be best as a spiral bound edition so it lays flat and doesn't close while you read and work. Otherwise a great fount of information and clearly defined successive training for a quilter. I intend to work through the four books written so far in what was intended to be a ...more
Apr 24, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: craftycrafty, 2012
This book sort of makes no sense to me. The idea is that you learn new skills by doing eleven increasingly-harder projects. OK, on board with that. But each project is an actual QUILT. Not a quilt square, a quilt. I mean, for a beginner quilter who also has a day job and possibly other hobbies, doing eleven quilts is going to take years. And this is volume one of...I think six?

WUT. OK, if you want to learn by doing (which I am a fan of), I recommend finding a sampler quilt where you learn new s
Nonnie
Sep 24, 2011 Nonnie rated it it was amazing
Jay L review

Sandy H review

What can I say that these ladies do not say better? My thought on the design drafting paper vs EQ7/software design controversy...... My life is too short, there are too many quilts to make for me to try and relearned what I never learned in high-school. EQ7 gives the opportunity to design quilts I would otherwise be unable to make.

I plan to buy the entire series. I like how each book builds
Leslie
Nov 27, 2015 Leslie rated it it was amazing
I have been quilting for several months and have read and researched many tips and techniques online but this book taught me much I haven't learned yet as well as why it's better to do one thing over another - although it's all opinion and preference but this gives pros and cons to different methods but then why they choose what they choose. This is a great book for those who are wanting to learn quilting, who are new to quilting, and probably would even be helpful for those who have been ...more
Allison
Dec 26, 2011 Allison rated it really liked it
I didn't read this cover to cover, but use it as a reference instead to go with the classes I am taking. It is full of useful information and step-by-steps. The authors' biases and tones on certain subjects (like whether or not to pre-wash fabrics) turned me off at first, but once I had some experience under my best I find it to be an extremely helpful book.
Patti
Jun 08, 2012 Patti rated it liked it
Mary
Nov 08, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like that it's set up as a series of skill building. THis is exactly what I need to build confidence and skills!
Mandy Wendell
Mandy Wendell rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2014
Mary Eisele
Mary Eisele rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2014
Jean
Jean rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2012
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2014
Abby Miller
Sep 08, 2012 Abby Miller rated it really liked it
Starting from the beginning, and unlearning all that I am doing wrong.
Marilyn
Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2012
Tonya
Tonya rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2014
Tris
Tris rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2012
Robyn Dillard
Robyn Dillard rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2014
Phoebe Dutton
Phoebe Dutton rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Candy Negrete
Candy Negrete rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Leah Hewitt
Leah Hewitt rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2015
Utahhornbakers
Utahhornbakers rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2011
Rose
Rose rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2011
June Jacobs
June Jacobs rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2015
Miss Construed
Miss Construed rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2014
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2015
Dee Raymond
Dee Raymond rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2015