Start by marking “Secrets to Die for” as Want to Read:
Secrets to Die for

Secrets to Die for (Detective Jackson Mystery #2)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  1,232 ratings  ·  108 reviews
When social worker Raina Hughes visits the home of a young boy she's been assigned to monitor, things quickly turn ugly. Later, when she's found brutally murdered, Detective Jackson thinks it's an open-and-shut case against the boy's ex-con father. Complications develop when new evidence points to a serial rapist who's becoming more violent with each attack. Raina's lover, ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Spellbinder Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets to Die for, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets to Die for

Jim Thomsen
I'm of mixed feelings about "Secrets To Die For." On the one hand, it's a fast-paced police procedural, with lots of authenticity and plenty of crisp plotting. On the other hand, it feels like a triumph of craft over art, a perfunctory product of how-to-write-a-mystery exercises, workshops and how-to books.

There's no original writer's voice here, no dialogue or descriptions that make you say "Wow!" and no characters that developed well enough to inspire ongoing emotional connections for readers
Secrets to Die For. L.J. Sellers. 2010. Echelon Press. 286 pages. ISBN 1-59080-654-9.

L.J. Sellers' Secrets to Die For is an incredibly dark murder mystery about a serial rapist who targets homosexual women. Secrets to Die For is very unpredictable, and will have you turning the pages with rapt anticipation and genuine interest!

Detective Wade Jackson investigates the murder of a young social worker, Raina Hughes, who is found brutally raped and left for dead near the home of a meth addict whose s
David
I bought this one after finishing the first book in the series (The Sex Club) and I have to say it only gets better.

This second book in the series provides a tighter and more compelling story as Detective Jackson works his way through a complex and frustrating case that challenges his own assumptions about society.

Nothing is as it seems in this case, where a young woman social worker has been brutally murdered and raped, following on from two possibly linked rapes. Sellers keeps the suspence r
Cathi
This book does well as a fast paced police investigative story and that was my only expectation thus the four star rating. There is a good deal of believable detail for the crimes and solutions.

If you're looking for more depth of character and location ambiance, you will likely be disappointed. Some effort is made to portray Eugene as the setting but it lacks enough attention to give depth. Characters are mostly flat and the opportunities to add dimension are mostly avoided, noticeably so. It f
Jeff Bottrell
This is the second in the series of police procedurals by L.J. Sellers. She has based these books around Eugene, Oregon, with gruff, good-hearted Detective Jackson as her protagonist. Sellers has a gift for creating a compelling narrative that swiftly moves the reader through the plot without a lot of fluff. The story plays out just as a good police investigation. There are red herrings, blind alleys, and department politics to contend with. The book reads like an episode of Law and Order, compl ...more
Black Butterfly
Oct 27, 2013 Black Butterfly rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: BOOKBUB
Shelves: mysteries
I WAS REALLY LIKING THIS BOOK, UP TO ABOUT 85 OR 86%, THEN IT STARTED GETTING STUPID. I THOUGTH
"DOES EUGENE, OREGON HAVE KEYSTONE COPS"? IF POLICE ACTUALLY BEHAVE LIKE THIS NO CRIME WOULD EVER GET SOLVED. OMG! WTF? THE STORYLINE WAS WORKING FOR ME EVEN WITH THE SOAPBOXISH DIALOG REGARDING GAY MISTREATMENT, UNTIL EVERYTHING GOT STUPID. SINCE THIS IS A SREIES I GUESS I WON'T FIND OUT HOW DETECTIVE JACKSON'S PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP TURNS OUT, 'CAUSE I AM SO D.O.N.E. ;<
Susan Moore
ONE OF SELLERS' BEST IN THE DET. JACKSON SERIES

THIS WAS A FLUID FAST MOVING PAGE TURNER. JUST WHEN I THOUGHT I KNEW WHO DID WHAT, ANOTHER CURVE BALL WAS TOSSED. GOOD CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, PLOTS, AND A MORALITY/BIOLOGICAL ISSUE THAT MAKES YOU THINK HOW YOU AND OTHERS VIEW HOMOSEXUALITY. ALTHOUGH, MOST PEOPLE HAVE ALREADY MADE UP THEIR MINDS ON THE ISSUE, SELLERS INSERTS GOOD ARGUMENTS THROUGH HER CHARACTERS FOR ACCEPTANCE. I STRONGLY DISLIKE THE EUPHEMISMS USED FOR LESBIANS. I KNOW SOME MEN WHO
Jessica
I signed up for this book and won it from the giveaways. When I first started to read the book, it was very dark and I almost didn't want to finish it because I didn't think that it would end happy. I'm glad I did because this was one of the bes mysteries that I've read and I've already recommended it to all of my friends.
Was definitely book two in the series. Great story line. At the very end, I thought I was going to get the answer to the cliffhanger in book one...nope...on to book three!!!
Bud Mallar
This, and the first, are nice little whodunits - sometimes with a crazy twist.

They each have set up the 'mystery' based upon major social issues - this one gay women and how they are, or aren't, accepted.

As a whodunit, it was a wild ride - false trails, red herrings, and good police work winning out in the end, so from that viewpoint, no reason not to read the next in the series.

But there might be a reason why Amazon is selling the whole series for $1.99

Both books have had one or two characters,
Patricia
When Raina Hughes attempts to make a final visit to Josh Gorman, son of Bruce and Cindy Gorman, Bruce orders her off his property. Raina is a children’s support advocate and Josh has just been returned to the custody of his parents. Raina and her best friend Jamie are volunteers. Raina had hoped to say good-bye to Josh and find him happy.

Detective Wade Jackson is sharing a Valentine dinner with Kera, a nurse at Planned Parenthood. Wade met Kera while investigating a bombing at the clinic. Their
Maureen Mullis
Detective Jackson is quickly becoming one of my favorites! This is the second book featuring the Eugene, Oregon homicide detective that I've read, and L.J. Sellers is one of those writers I'm going to keep following.

When a series of rapes in the city of Eugene suddenly turns to murder, Detective Wade Jackson and his team are on the case. But what they at first thought were crimes against women soon reveal themselves to be much darker hate crimes. Jackson begins to question himself in this book,
Stephen
L.J.Sellers, is an underappreciatated author, who is well known on the West Coast but whose talent has not reached the East Coast. Sellers is a solid writer , whose Detective Jackson mysteries are the type that are read in one sitting. This is a good example of that.
Wade Jackson is faced with a brutal rape and murder with the evidence seeming to point to an obvious perp. Raina Hughes' body is found near the trailer home of a boy she was visiting in her work as a child advocate. Bruce and Cindy
Kat
Well, I definitely won't be continuing the series. Detective Wade Jackson was just too much of a cliche for me. The way he bounded from clue to clue that had very little connecting them ruined the illusion that this was a real detective and that this was an actual occurrence. I wasn't able to suspend my disbelief.
The reporter drove me insane. She seemed so fake an had few redeeming qualities. Again, the bounding for clue to clue bothered me beyond belief.
This book opens with Raina visiting her
C.L. Swinney
This book surprised me. The title alone made me figure it would be dark, but I wasn't quite prepared for how deeply dark the author went.

The story and plot are something I see in my career as a homicide detective and although it's not stuff readily shared with the general public, the author did it well and demonstrated great knowledge. I suppose I read her novels out of order, but that's okay as I didn't feel I was missing something by not reading the first in this Jackson Mystery series.

If you
Dynelle Lumsden
Detective murder mystery

I have Kindle unlimited and love murder mystery books. LJ Sellers is a new author for me selected at random and now has me hooked. I need to know more about Detective Jackson and how his new romance turns out and what new murder is coming next.
I also like the fact that it's a series. When I find a good book I want to read more. Good case LJ
Kathleen Hagen
Secrets to Die For, by L. J. Sellers, a-minus, Narrated by Damon Abdallah, Produced by Books in Motion, downloaded from audible.com.

Raina Hughes, a social worker, goes to an isolated trailer to check on a boy who has just been returned to his parents. The father, high on meth, won’t let her in and she leaves the property. But as she is on her way home, she is attacked, badly beaten, and killed. Wade Jackson at first thinks that it is the father whose house she left and arrests him, but things ar
Jill Burkinshaw
Book 2 in the Detective Jackson series. Excellent Thriller every bit as gripping and enjoyable as book 1. These are police procedural mixed with psychological thriller. A big thanks to the author for being brave enough to write novels without feeling sex scenes are needed. I like the way the characters develop slowly and are very real life. Jackson doesn't get it right straight away and the suspense builds right to the end where the readers are again surprised with an unexpected twist. I also li ...more
Debbie
Not a bad story, but sometimes the dialogue was a little coarse for my taste. I like the protagonist, but hope the series can take a direction other than sex crimes. It's kind of the reason "Law & Order: SVU" is building up on my DVR: not what I want to repeatedly immerse myself in.
Gail Brown
Good Reading

I chose a 4 because I enjoyed the investigation, and learning about the city of Eugene, Oregon. Being a conservative I felt this author was very much against conservative people and vilified us. It was kind of strange. I do enjoy the mystery part though.
Marva
I like L.J. Sellers' Detective Jackson books mostly because I live in Eugene, the setting for the stories. However, even if I wasn't a hometown resident, I'd still enjoy the crispness and accuracy of these mysteries. So much for CSI! You're not getting that DNA match in thirty seconds.

It's good to read a mystery/crime book firmly based in the real world.

L.J. takes on controversial topics with sincerity and aplomb. I enjoyed The Sex Club, so picked up the second in the series. I'm ready to find o
golda pooler
Eugene Oregon, where liberals go to mingle with those of like minds.

fast moving and very true to the people of
the area. enjoyed it very much, had a continuity of story line without dragging to many unnecessary characters into the mix.
T.L. Cooper
Secrets to Die For by L. J. Sellers delves into issues that remind us of our humanity and our human failings. Sellers explores attitudes toward homosexuality and rape through an investigation into a murder than has Detective Jackson questioning biases he didn't realize he held. As the investigation uncovers one suspect and then another, Sellers keeps the reader wondering what will happen next. As Jackson juggles his personal and professional lives, the reader feels his frustration and desire to ...more
YVONNE M. VALERIO
Secrets To Die For.

Secrets To Die For.

This book was good, but it wandered a bit and left you hanging, other than that it was pretty good, I will have read another book to get the Rythm of her writing.
Kitty
I'm torn on how to rate this one. I feel that it's at least a four-star book, but just not "my" kind of book. I enjoyed the first book in this series, and knew I wanted to give the second one a chance, despite venturing out of my comfort zone. This one just went a little too far for me.

The suspense is there... the mystery is there... I still really like Detective Jackson... but this one is definitely more disturbing - at least to me - than the first one.

I think that this book puts out a positiv
Paul
Another great book from LJ Sellers.

I read this immediately after finishing The Sex Club. In fact, there was about a two minute gap between me finishing one and starting the next.

Kera, who played a main part in the first book, is relegated to a bit part in this second installment, with the lead being taken over well and truly by Detective Jackson.

It is another well-crafted book by a very competent author. If you've not read The Sex Club I would start with that as one book leads on nicely from the
Kelly
Second in the series I just had to delve back into Jackson's world and find out what he was investigating next. I love that his personal life carrys on where we left it and I'm beginning to quite fancy the man I've created in my head! This time Jackson investigates the rape and murder of a young college student and social work volunteer. Of course what appears to be an open and shut case becomes more complicated when the case is linked to two previous rape cases. I love that once again I was sur ...more
Jennifer W
I finally got started on this book that I won here on goodreads. It looks to be a good mystery book that will keep me up too late reading it. :)

It was pretty good. I didn't have all the pieces figured out way ahead of time like I usually do with murder mysteries, so that was good. The only major detraction was how the detective pulled the right conclusion from thin air at the end of the book. There were no clues leading up to this, and by that time, the reader had already been told through other
Ann
Fairly good whodunit kept

Kept wondering about this series as it shows up on book gorilla several times a week. Read the first two but found them too formulaic. Doubt I will come back for more.
Al Kacere
Good, fast, moving plot. Hard to put down

Great book. Easy to read, hard to put down. Fun to follow the cases and life of Detective Jackson. Will read the next in the series.
The Free Book Cha...: Secrets to Die For, by L.J. Sellers 2 22 Jun 22, 2013 02:53PM
mystery lovers: First book in series free 1 10 Feb 22, 2012 08:30PM
First book in series free 1 8 Feb 22, 2012 08:25PM
  • The Truth About Us
  • Disappear
  • Capture
  • Mind Games (Vigilante, #3)
  • Surface Tension (Seychelle Sullivan, #1)
  • Past Imperfect
  • No Time To Run
  • Implant
  • The Mummy Case (Jim Knighthorse, #2)
  • Small Kindnesses
  • Sound of Blood
  • A Fatal Verdict (The Trials of Sarah Newby, #2)
  • The River
  • Mass Murder (Giorgio Salvatori, #1)
  • The Devil's Hour (Laura Cardinal #3)
  • Absolute Liability (A Southern Fraud Thriller, #1)
  • Two Graves: A Kesle City Homicide Novel
  • Accountable to None (Eviscerating the Snake, #1)
I write the bestselling Detective Jackson mystery/thriller series—a Readers Favorite award winner—as well as the Agent Dallas series and provocative standalone thrillers. My novels have been highly praised by crime fiction magazines, and I'm one of the highest ranked crime fiction authors on Amazon.

I reside in Eugene, Oregon where my many of my novels are set, and I'm also an award-winning journal
More about L.J. Sellers...

Detective Jackson Mystery (10 books)
  • The Sex Club (Detective Jackson Mystery, #1)
  • Thrilled to Death (Detective Jackson Mystery, #3)
  • Passions of the Dead (Detective Jackson Mystery, #4)
  • Dying for Justice (Detective Jackson Mystery, #5))
  • Liars, Cheaters, & Thieves (Detective Jackson Mystery, #6)
  • Rules of Crime (Detective Jackson Mystery, #7)
  • Crimes of Memory (Detective Jackson Mystery, #8)
  • Deadly Bonds (Detective Jackson Mystery, #9)
  • Wrongful Death (Detective Jackson Mystery, #10)
The Sex Club (Detective Jackson Mystery, #1) Deadly Bonds (Detective Jackson Mystery, #9) Rules of Crime (Detective Jackson Mystery, #7) Dying for Justice (Detective Jackson Mystery, #5)) Liars, Cheaters, & Thieves (Detective Jackson Mystery, #6)