Start by marking “Somebody's Crying” as Want to Read:
Somebody's Crying

Somebody's Crying

When Alice looks up and sees Tom staring at her, everything closes down around them and becomes very still. No one is breathing. No one else is in the room. Tom feels as if he can see right into the soul of Alice Wishart. It lies open before him, like a wide, long pane of glittering glass. So delicate and beautiful and . . . ready to break.

Three years have passed since the
Published March 30th 2010 by Allen & Unwin (first published November 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Somebody's Crying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somebody's Crying

Andrew
Nov 19, 2008 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to confess that, when I read the blurb, I was a little wary. After all, a YA novel, set in country Australia, with teens dealing with a death in the family... it gets done a bit in the industry.

However, my fears were allayed very quickly, as I started reading. Whilst, on the surface, this is a bit of a whodunit, this only serves as the setting for exploring the three central characters, all deeply disturbed in their own way, as they attempt to escape their past by understanding it and fin
Isamlq
Oct 26, 2011 Isamlq rated it liked it
It’s highly unusual and at times too slow. But it’s got me thinking. And feeling…

The emotions ranged from the intense then soft and all else in between. Most their relationships are unconventional, complicated, should not work but still do. The lot of them are complicated interesting people. Initial descriptions of Jonty are of a boy with a bright future ahead of him, smart and good. Tom, too had everything going for him, solid family, good school and all that. But when 40 something Lillian ente
 Soph - Lock&Key
So what can I say about “somebody’s crying”? Well I must say it was a beautiful book about passion, friendship and love.

Alright so this book took me a long time to read, I would like to say that the only reason for this was because I read so many books in between but it’s not the only reason. I didn’t feel like I was a part of this book like I usually do when I am reading a book I love such as this one, I felt like someone was telling me about the story not like I was reading it. I don’t know w
JM
Oct 22, 2010 JM rated it really liked it
YA fiction. Three years ago, Alice's mother was murdered. The police arrested Alice's cousin Jonty, the charismatic boy with the wide grin and the wild streak, but the evidence fell apart. Jonty doesn't remember anything about that night. He was released after a short stint inside, and nobody was ever brought to trial. Tom, Jonty's best friend, has been ignoring what happened ever since, and ignoring Jonty too. He barely remembers Alice, a shy girl next to her more vibrant mother. But now they'r ...more
Charlotte Phillips
Dull, boring and slow? Yes that just about covers the entire context of the novel and the very fact that it was a predicatable story line that just was not much of a storyline in the first place. I could see where the idea of the story was coming from, but in more ways than one there was just this idealistic wrongess and tabooness to it that just didnt make it any more exciting. Most of the book I think I actually ended up skimming merely for the sake that it was just moving that slowly througho ...more
Clare
I fell in love with Maureen McCarthy’s ‘Chain of Hearts’ ages ago unfortunately none of her other works have come to close to it. ‘Somebody’s Crying’ is a young adult novel following the lives of three teenagers coming to terms with the mysterious death of a local woman, a mother, aunt and friend to the respective characters.

Tom and Jonty used to be best mates but have grown apart after Jonty was accused of murdering a local woman called Lillian. The novel begins several years after the murder w
Alison Smith
I gave up on this book 19% of the way through it.

Why?

The writing style.

I hated it. Hated it. Third person present tense? Really? REALLY??
The writing style made it extremely hard to read. Sure, the plot was interesting, but I had a hard time remembering how old each character was. Tom acted like a 40 year old man. (Not that that's a bad thing; his behavior was just a little too old for the age he was actually supposed to be.) I kept thinking his dad was, like, 70 or something. Jonty and Alice wer
Tiesha
Dec 25, 2010 Tiesha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite
Watermelon Daisy
May 21, 2011 Watermelon Daisy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely one of McCarthy's strongest works. I'm saying this as a frequent reader.

The characters are believable and likeable, and the ending is unpredictable. It makes me feel as if I'm in their world -a world mixed with mystery, crime and romance.

The main character, Alice, is one of my favourite female characters of all time because, although she's overweight, she doesn't take notice of it. Also, she is confident in herself. And her feelings are clearly projected through the third per
Steph
Apr 15, 2010 Steph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s been three years since the horrific event that devastated an entire community and changed the lives of Tom, Alice and Jonty. Each have tried to move on since the unsolved murder of Lillian Wishart, but this summer the three characters will reconnect, revisit their pasts and attempt to deal with chilling crime that tore them apart.
To be honest, I didn’t love Somebody’s Crying as much as Queen Kat, Carmen and St. Jude or Chain of Hearts, but this is still an intriguing story (I love a good m
Bella
Jan 21, 2009 Bella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A murder in a country town. The accused murderer (Jonty) got off scott free and is back in town trying to make his best friend (Tom) see that it wasn't him. Whilst his cousin (Alice), the daughter of the women killed doesn't accept that fact.
Told from the perspective of the these three young adults, Maureen McCarthy captures the heart and mind of those affected by this crime with such familiar characteristics that we can't help but feel we too are apart of this story at times.

Mrs Mac McKenzie
I love Maureen McCarthy's work and this book again did not disappoint. Relationships, character and plot development are her strengths and this book continued along these strengths. It was a great read into relationships, family, and friendships told in a believable and soft way.

Great for people who enjoy books about young people and their relationships, with a murder thrown in for good measure.
Jo
Jan 02, 2012 Jo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Edith Wood
Slow to start but unconventional! That's what i liked about it. Something different that isn't so stereotypical that proves that things don't always go to plan and that everybody's story is different. I liked that you could see what everybody was thinking and I gave a perspective I wasn't used to but became accustomed to. It's a good book that offers good human values of life and I would recommend it to anyone .
Tammy
Aug 08, 2011 Tammy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Somebody’s Crying is a breathtaking book of murder and mystery. Alice is still finding life difficult after her mothers murder three years ago, when she meets up wit Tom, they join together to catch the killer, who may or may not be Alice’s cousin, and Tom’s ex best friend Jonty. As they are pulled deeper into the mystery, they also learn how to heal, be happy and maybe even be friends.
Liz
Aug 24, 2012 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE Maureen McCarthy's "Chain of Hearts", and so read this book, in the hope that it would be as good.
Unfortunately, this is not the case. As usual, the author is very good at writing about feelings and describing circumstances, but the actual plot of this book really drags it down - there is just not enough substance to it :(
Reanna Inglis
Sep 06, 2013 Reanna Inglis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I made it to page 27 of this book before falling asleep... I awoke to the fall of the book off my bed and onto the floor. I'm sure deeper in it might be a good read but the start takes to long to take off.

I am deeply disappointed with this author as I loved some of her other books. I guess some people need a negative to even out the positives.
Aug 14, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really love the way Maureen McCarthy writes. Her characters are so realistic and layered and interesting, probably because they are NOT too busy being whipped through scenes of break-neck action to think or feel anything. I found this really gripping and fascinating, and stayed up till 4 finishing it!
Melissa Pouliot
Oct 04, 2015 Melissa Pouliot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love it when you discover a book by chance and it turns out to be fantastic! Couldn't put it down. I loved the way the story ducked and weaved, and thought the hints at something deeper behind words and gestures were brilliant. I'm looking forward to reading more by another great Australian author. Highly recommended.
Sophie
Nov 13, 2008 Sophie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
McCarthy does teen drama very well. Though not as good as most of her other work, it's still miles ahead of most other attempts at teen fiction.

Spoilt a little by the 'epilogue'. It seemed too much like it was trying to make a happy ending instead of a realistic one.
Beckie
Dec 01, 2013 Beckie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
The book started with an unsolved murder, but then focused on the characters whose relationships were affected by the crime. Unfortunately, the characters’ motivations were unconvincing, the revelations about the murderer came out of nowhere, and the prose was workmanlike, at best.
Chloe
Apr 27, 2011 Chloe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
WAAAAAY BETTER THAN I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE !
Belinda
Oct 26, 2010 Belinda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I started to read this book though I just couldnt seem to get into it. I found keeping up with the story line quite hard to follow.
Sally906
Jan 18, 2014 Sally906 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, mystery
Transferred from spreadsheet
Isabel
May 07, 2011 Isabel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, full of suspense, anger and sadness.
4/5
Davida
Mar 28, 2016 Davida rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel may be aimed at young adults but I found it to be a great read. Great storyline, plenty of emotion and a twist you wouldn't expect. Am keen to read more of Maureen McCarthy's books.
Lauren K
Mar 25, 2011 Lauren K rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aussie-author, ya
I posted a review of this book on my site:

Moontoast
vrey sad. beautiful read.
Rochelle
Apr 12, 2013 Rochelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Alice looks up and see Tom staring up at her, everything comes down around her and becomes very around them and becomes very still.
Stephanie A.
Jul 19, 2012 Stephanie A. rated it it was ok
Too long, too dull, too much perspective from boys.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Swerve
  • Talk Under Water
  • Brown Skin Blue
  • Alis
  • Little Sister
  • Everything Beautiful
  • Beetle Boy
  • Bookmark Days (Girlfriend Fiction, #9)
  • Crow Country
  • The Garbage King
  • griEVE
  • فاتن
  • Into the Wilderness (Blood of the Lamb, #2)
  • Thura's Diary: My Life in Wartime Iraq
  • Hamlet
  • Dangerously Placed
  • Wavelength
  • Marrying Ameera
Maureen McCarthy, the ninth of ten children, was born in 1953 in country Victoria. She has worked as a teacher in Victorian secondary schools and has written scripts for television and educational films. Her film credits include 'Skipping Class', he award-winning documentary, 'Eating Your Heart Out', and the SBS mini-series, 'In Between', which was later adapted inot four novels by Maureen. Her la ...more
More about Maureen McCarthy...