Start by marking “Cold Midnight” as Want to Read:
Cold Midnight

Cold Midnight

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  18 reviews
KENDALL FALLS, FLORIDA -
A SMALL TOWN WITH A BIG PAST...
AND EVEN BIGGER SECRETS.

Ten years ago, Kylie McKay suffered a brutal assault that ended her athletic career and sent her running from everything — and everyone — she loved. Now she’s back in Kendall Falls, trying to rebuild her life and keep an eye on the future. But someone from her past has other plans ...

When Kylie’
Published August 4th 2009 by Berkley Sensation (first published July 7th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Midnight

Shawna
4-4 stars – Romantic Suspense

This was a total impulse buy that turned out to be a really good romantic mystery/suspense read with a similar feel to a Nora Roberts book, only with much hotter, more explicit sex scenes.

Kylie McKay returns to her hometown of Kendall Falls, Florida ten years after a brutal attack that shattered her knee, ended her budding professional tennis career, and cost her the man she loved, fellow tennis competitor Chase Manning.

Kylie’s returned to open a youth tennis train
Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~*
Usually most romantic suspense novels will start off with the hero and heroine meeting up again in a situation not of their doing and of course the heroine has a "past" with the "said" hero and has been jilted or they have parted ways for some reason or another.Then of course they must put up with each other and the fur fly's and sexual tension sky rockets ect..ect..Well in Cold Midnight the shoe is on the other foot this time,as the leading man has been jilted. Ten years ago Kylie Mckay was bru ...more
jenjn79
This was a pretty average book for me. It had a lot of potential, but I could never really seem to get hooked into the story. It came off a little bland and didn't have that zing and intensity I like romantic suspense books to have.

Summary:
Ten years ago, Kylie McKay was an up-and-coming tennis star. She'd just won her first major, she had a great boyfriend, and even if her family life wasn't perfect, she had everything to look forward to. Then one morning she goes jogging and gets viciously atta
SheLove2Read
It took me a week to read this story, through no fault of my own or the books, and I think that took some of the enjoyment of it away. Still, this is a intriguing story with characters that stand out.

Kylie the tennis prodigy, who in a horrific attack 10 years ago has her future taken away from her. She ran from everyone and everything in an attempt to deal with the repercussions.

Detective Chase Manning, the boy she'd been in love with and now the man who is heading up yet another investigation
Dinjolina
It was an ok mystery read, but the romance got on my nerves.

Well, more along the lines: the hero got on my nerves.

He is all self righteous about the heroine leaving him and destroying their ‘perfect everlasting love’ 10 years before-when she went to school.
On the other hand when she informs him she went back to make things right but found out he was to be a father-he gets all defensive…later we find out why...

Wait for it...

The girl he knocked up? He knocked her up THE DAY the heroine left. The V
Cara Ellison
What a strange book this is. It is extremely well written. But the story is just frankly unbelievable. Kylie McKay was a tennis champ who, ten years ago (which would make her between 16 and 18 years old), was walking home from high school when she was brutally attacked by two men who took out her knee with a baseball bat. Kylie’s tennis career was over. Apparently Kylie did not go to college; there is no mention of it. Instead, she fled to LA where she worked as a tennis coach. Then for reasons ...more
Susan Vaughan
Cold Midnight is the third book I've read by Joyce Lamb and her most romantic and intense yet. this fast-paced story features two strong protagonists in Kylie and Chase, a gripping suspense plot, and well-crafted police procedure. The danger to Kylie with its twists and turns creates a page-turner, but so does the romantic conflict. The romance is front and center at all times, scorching and intensely emotional. This is a captivating and powerful romantic suspense novel. I couldn't put it down!
LibraryLass
This is more a 3.5 stars than a 4. I enjoyed it on the whole, but it was despite the fact that some of the characters were completely dislikable (including the heroine!) . But, it still kept me reading and I did enjoy the HEA.
Melanie Chabrol-
This book was very easy to read, short chapters and a great story line. First book from this author and certainly not the last.
Kylie McKay had a promising career ad a professionall tennis player and suffered a brutual attack 10yrs ago that ended her promising career. Local cops found no evidence.
10yrs later she comes back to Kendall Falls to build a tennis centre and make a safe place for young kids to play at.
Suddenly the building gets destroyed and delays the construction. Her first crush Chas
Hbeebti
This wasn't bad, just wasn't for me. It was just alright. Kylie got on my nerves a lot. Man she was just cold. I had figured out who done it by the middle of the book. Only not the why of it. I was kinda disappointed with it. There certainly was a lot of action but something about it just didn't do it for me. That isn't to to say that I wont read her other books though. I did enjoy her writing style. Maybe it was just this book. Kinda reminded me of that ice skater that whacked in the knee all t ...more
Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
I thought this was a great read. It started out kind of slow but as the book progressed, so did the tension and the readability. I thought both Kylie and Chase were strong characters and there were parts where I went, "it's about time!" As for the ending, I did not see that coming. I was very surprised and I love a story with a good twist.
Lyn
Good story - but wayyy tooo much junk. Why, or why do authors think that they have to put so much sexual garbage in a story? Just write a good story without all the smut!
Fay Ann Hollcroft
GREAT!! Filled with suspense all the way to the end, just the way I LOVE it! Can't wait to be able to get to the rest of her novels & hope they're just as GREAT.
Lindig
No worse than many others of this ilk, but I found I wasn't engaged with the characters and so didn't finish it.
Jacquie
Soo good! Second chances and a murder mystery that took almost till the end to guess
Melissa
was a very good book
Joyce David
Joyce David marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Gail Mitchell
Gail Mitchell marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Patricia White
Patricia White marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Loisa
Loisa added it
Apr 15, 2015
Beryl
Beryl marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Pat
Pat added it
Mar 30, 2015
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
  • Deadly Little Secrets
  • Lake Magic
  • Ambushed! (McCalls' Montana #3)
  • Faith (Virtue, #2)
  • To Tempt a Saint (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • Too Wicked To Kiss
  • The Notorious Scoundrel (The Hawkins Brothers #2)
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • The Grail King (Druids of Avalon, #2)
  • Claimed By a Scottish Lord (Mystical Bliss, #2)
  • Down River
  • Her Own Best Enemy
  • The Devil She Knows (Devil, #6)
  • Ryan's Place  (The Devaneys #1)
  • Wilderness
  • Frontier Courtship
  • Accidentally the Sheikh's Wife
  • Destined to Last (Providence, #4)
True Vision (True Trilogy #1) True Colors (True Trilogy, #2) True Shot (True Trilogy, #3) Found Wanting Caught in the Act