Start by marking “The Dusk Watchman” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Dusk Watchman

Tom Lloyd

The Dusk Watchman (Twilight Reign #5)

The final reckoning has come. The future of the Land will be decided now, written in the blood of men.

After his pyrrhic victory at Moorview, King Emin learns the truth about the child Ruhen. Powerless to act, he must mourn his friends and watch his enemy promise a new age of peace to the beleaguered peoples of the Land. While the remaining Menin troops seek revenge, daemo
Published by Gollancz (first published August 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Dusk Watchman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dusk Watchman

Stretch's Books
"The Dusk Watchman" is the fifth and final book in Tom Lloyd's "The Twilight Reign" series("The God Tattoo" being excluded), and what an excellent conclusion Mr. Lloyd managed to weave together for the fans of the series. "The Dusk Watchman" is choc full of betrayal, magic, suspense, action, military engagements and all the emotions that come along with the word love.

Love is a strange thing to be included with all the atrocities that take place in this book and the series, for that matter. Yet
David Phipps
Mar 07, 2013 David Phipps rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, own
This was the final volume of the Twilight Reign fantasy series. I read the first four late last year before my Wheel of Time project so it was a little tough to come back to this series after that much time had passed. Thankfully all the books in this series have a little "What Has Gone Before" section at the front of each book that summarizes the events of the previous book. That was much appreciated.

This book may be the best in the series. The first book was good too and the middle books were
Johann Pollard
Feb 10, 2010 Johann Pollard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-fantasy
Damn good ending to a damn good series. I need to let it sink in a bit.
Jack Beaman
Jul 22, 2014 Jack Beaman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I’ve always thought The Twilight Reign series has been one of the most underrated fantasy series around. I’m not sure I’ve talked to anyone else who has read it, let alone enjoyed it (although as far as I’m concerned, they are the same thing).
In the series in general, I massively enjoy the world created by Tom Lloyd, with the innovative take on elves, as well as the concept of white-eyes, and the expansive cast which includes everything from common soldiers to full-on gods. Alongside this, the
Paul Nelson
This has been one of my favorite series since I started reading fantasy novels, highly recommended for lots of reasons. We have gods, mortal aspects of the gods, vampires, mages, skilled & brutal warriors, dragons, daemons, traitors galore, religious sects and larger than life humans with extreme capabilities called white eyes. That's probably just the half of it as well, coupled with exceptional characters and storey lines this series covers the lot.
As a series finale this stands above most
Robin Carter
Oct 19, 2012 Robin Carter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
In this latest book in the series you get characters that carry on growing and filling the void left after previous books in the series, its the continual growth that keeps you gripped and keeps you reading.

Whilst I have been following this series since book one a few years ago, I normally like to have a reread prior to starting a new title, just to refresh the old grey matter, but i have to say i couldn't do it with this series, great as it is, its starting to become too long now for a full ref
Charles Patrick
Jan 05, 2013 Charles Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very good writing. the scale of the battles were epic with a lot of subterfuge and betrayals. however i was sad by the way the writer ended the book, every character wounded, scarred, or dead. neither side heroes and villains are happy about the outcome of the final battle. the solution to end the wars was a compromise that left both sides with ashes in their hands,without a clear victor. this is the last book in the series.
David Teachout
Dec 11, 2012 David Teachout rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A fantastic ending to an incredibly epic series. With battle scenes leaping off the pages, discussions of religion and the role people have in their relationship to deity, and the interconnections of the characters being yet again brought into heart-aching detail, this is most assuredly beyond a mere fantasy novel or series but a story that gets the reader thinking long after the last page is flipped. Well worth reading again and I intend to.
Reader73
Apr 18, 2011 Reader73 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Excellent last book in the series. Maybe best so far this year.
Lee
Jan 27, 2013 Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great series , complex and stunning
Butterfly
Apr 17, 2015 Butterfly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't decide if I hate or love this ending. Both won? Don't know if that's fair or not. And what the hell happened to Ilumene? Did the bastard die?
John
Sep 08, 2012 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book from start to finish.. one of the best i've read this year
Katrina Evans
Nels Paulson
Let me first say i really enjoyed this series despite its flaws. It is inventive fun and always leaves you guessing what will come next. Very little is predictable, and the series as a whole has a very diverse collection of characters. I enjoyed the book.

That said, I think the series might have been overly complicated. The shear different number of characters leaves you dumbfounded. With the exception of a few characters, there is a good likely hood that taking notes to keep who has and is doing
Pavlo Tverdokhlib
Jul 19, 2013 Pavlo Tverdokhlib rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
Ok, where to start?

The book is amazing. That's the short version. The ending blew me away, and I often complain that sff authors very rarely pull off good endings. This ending was perfect. Really. Some things about it were highly predictable SPOILER

Isak does die. Again. As if you didn't already know that. But there were other things that were not predictable in any way. Lloyd threw a bunch of very nice twists in along the way. And, honestly, if I was to describe this series in one sentence, I wo
Kati
The last one in "The Twilight Reign" series with a really good, though slightly unexpected conclusion. Unfortunately, the author seemed quite obsessed with torture his heroes suffered and suffered and suffered and the prize at the end, even when it was peace, just didn't seem adequate to what they had been through, especially in Isak's case.

I admit I cried a lot while translating the book. Isak's story was simply heartbreaking, the sacrifices he made too great to even comprehend. He never asked
Laethir
Aug 11, 2013 Laethir rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although the whole series is an exciting experience, this on is even more so, describing all the characters I wanted to read about and their actions, culminating it all in an epic final of awesomeness.

This last book of the series had many surprises for me in store and I was not sure how the story would end until the very end of it.

The author managed to explain how things work in the universe of this book, except many at the very end of the book. I wish there was a more detailed explanation how t
Jonathan
Oct 12, 2012 Jonathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After loving the other books in the series I was always going to love this one. To give it anything less than a 5 would not be right. The book rounded off the series nicely, everything answered, and everyone had an ending.

If this were a stand alone novel, I may rate it lower. I personally felt like it was rushed. I write this review a couple of months after finishing the book, so i cannot provide specifics, but I am left with a feeling like I was rusehd to the ending, and perhaps there couldve b
Susana789
Mar 12, 2016 Susana789 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Z môjho pohľadu táto séria v podstate ani nemala slabý článok. Napísanie celého príbehu zabralo dosť času, Lloyd využil možnosti na vycibrenie svojich nedostatkov. Zaujímavé kulisy, námet nie je nič nové (obligátna záchrana sveta), ale ten zvyšok okolo bol fakt dobrý. Od hrdinov, z ktorých väčšina dostala dostatok priestoru v deji, od kolosálnych bitiek cez politiku (tá mala primerané svižné a miestami aj vtipné pasáže) až po hrdinov. A spôsob písania, ktorý mi mi maximálne vyhovoval.
Margareth8537
Jul 07, 2013 Margareth8537 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Read the others as they were published so a while ago now.The resume of the story is very useful. Remember that I never quite sorted out who everyone was previously, so just kept going and realised that I preferred it this time round. Felt that the story was coming to a conclusion. Still found it difficult to keep track of everyone, but just let it carry me along.
Adrian Leaf
An exciting end to the series marred slightly by a rather convenient and logically inconsistent climax. Also the characters were never developed as much as I would have liked. However it was still an interesting and pretty unique series.
Mike
Aug 11, 2013 Mike rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
a great ending to the saga let down by appalling editing. every page contains at least one error (in some places they've even included the correction alongside the original error!), and large parts of the plot seem to have been cut out leading to some very confusing pacing and jumps in narrative.
Chris Byron
Mar 01, 2014 Chris Byron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5
JL Lucaban
Aug 29, 2015 JL Lucaban rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-love
Oh my !!! I actually cried at the last part. That was one heck of a thrilling ride!!!
Daniel Brecht
May 14, 2012 Daniel Brecht rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing conclusion to a great series
Drew Rawlins
Jun 16, 2015 Drew Rawlins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A satisfying and fitting conclusion to an immense story. I look forward to re-reading the entire series at some time in the near future.
Steve
Jan 04, 2014 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A solid end to the main story, but let down slightly by some of the more interesting & charismatic characters no longer being around.
Blake Miller
Blake Miller rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2013
Ben
Ben rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2014
Torne
Torne rated it liked it
May 14, 2015
  • The Night of the Swarm (The Chathrand Voyages #4)
  • The Air War (Shadows of the Apt, #8)
  • The Scarlet Tides (Moontide Quartet, #2)
  • Rise of the TaiGethen (Elves #2)
  • The Tower Broken (Tower and Knife Trilogy, #3)
  • Stands a Shadow (The Heart of the World, #2)
  • The Order of the Scales (The Memory of Flames, #3)
  • The Usurper (King Rolen's Kin, #3)
  • The Shattered Crown (Steelhaven, #2)
  • Kings of Morning (The Macht, #3)
  • The Light of Burning Shadows (Iron Elves, #2)
Tom Lloyd was born in 1979 and showed almost no interest in writing until the age of eighteen. I blame the teachers myself.

Nevertheless he did eventually find himself with a long summer to spare before university, and decided to start a novel when it was suggested he get a job to pass the time. This tells you much of what there is to know about him. The rest can be derived from the fact that he fi
More about Tom Lloyd...

Twilight Reign (5 books)
  • The Stormcaller (Twilight Reign, #1)
  • The Twilight Herald (Twilight Reign, #2)
  • The Grave Thief (Twilight Reign, #3)
  • The Ragged Man (Twilight Reign, #4)