Start by marking “The Hormone Diet: Lose Fat. Gain Strength. Live Younger Longer.” as Want to Read:
The Hormone Diet: Lose Fat. Gain Strength. Live Younger Longer.

The Hormone Diet: Lose Fat. Gain Strength. Live Younger Longer.

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  261 ratings  ·  39 reviews
With hormonal imbalance, the risk of conditions associated with aging – cancer, diabetes, osteoporosis or heart disease – is magnified. If our hormones are in balance, we have the potential to age gracefully and remain youthful.

The complete fat-loss and preventative health guide for men and women has finally arrived. What's the secret? It's in your hormones!

In The Hormone
Published April 6th 2010 by Random House Canada (first published April 7th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Hormone Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hormone Diet

Julia
Written by a Naturopathic Doctor, this book is such an excellent resource for learning about the hormones in our body and what happens when they are out of balance. I found it extremely fascinating and helpful to get the background and explanations on which hormones will pack on weight and which ones will help to lose weight and the things we can do to have optimal health.

I personally followed this plan to lose weight under the guidance of my own Naturopathic Doctor, starting with a liver clean
L
Wow. This book is FULL of information. Takes you probably at least a 1/3 of way before you will get into the intty gritty of their "diet" that is much more a program to follow to get your body back into hormonal balance. Can see using this book in conjunction with a doctor/naturopath's advice more more effectively since the self-diagnosis part of their book is overwhelming and confusing a bit. Really like the fact they show it isn't just about eating that working on sleep, stress, etc is a huge ...more
Anna
Basically just flipping through like a magazine-reading.
Don't like the type of diet which gives a strict deadline, meal plan, and selling products. I read this several types of diet, like Body Ecology, GAPS, all have very strict initial start, eliminating carbs and all, basically mainly ditching solid food; which I am not quite fond of.
I can't use whey protein since it's dairy based. I don't know about under 1% lactose in whey protein but hows all the pregnant cows hormones (despite being grass
Chavonne
My doctor recommended this to me to help balance me out and it has been incredibly helpful. I'm just on the first phase (get my sleep problems taken care of) and will be for a while due to my history. Still, I've learned a lot and feel that this will be really helpful as I work toward having more overall health.

***
I read this for a second time to learn about more effective sleep and supplementation. The sleep tips really work! I'm sleeping so much better now.
Nathalie
This is a fad diet book like any other - in spite of the author's protests to the contrary. Besides being a 'fad diet' book there's nothing new in it's pages. Careful marketing is likely the only reason it was ever published.
Natalay
This is a really excellent book because it is informative and still easy to read. Most of these types of books are either too technical or ridiculously simple and uninformative. I picked up some really good tips.
Bonnie
I am impressed with the amount of information this book contains. At first it was a bit overwhelming but once I began to discard the information that did not pertain to me it became more manageable.

The premise is, all of the hormones work in tandem to keep the body working properly; if one hormone is out of balance it can throw a wrench into the entire works and cause problems that may present themselves as an ache or pain of inflammation. The kicker is, that ache or pain of inflammation is an i
Laura (booksnob)
Earlier this year in January (2012) I suffered from incurable, painful headaches and no pill could cure them or make them feel better. I had a horrible headache every single day in January. I also began to have intense hot flashes and could not sleep at all. I was physically exhausted and miserable because I was in so much pain. I knew my problem was hormonal and so I did what every American does with a computer, I googled it.

What I found was the book The Hormone Diet by Natasha Turner. The Hor
Melissa
Turner gives a good basic background on endocrine imbalances and even helps the reader pinpoint what hormones their body is producing in excess or not enough of. I found some of her suggestion very helpful and she shed some new light on inflammation in the body, but over all the book wasn't well put together. It could be better formatted for easier understanding and flow. She doesn't make certain things clear, e.g. She clearly states to avoid caffeine yet a chapter or so later she encourages rea ...more
Susan Visser
We all know that hormones in our bodies are incredibly intertwined and complex. Natasha does a fine job of explaining how they work and what happens when they are out of balance.

I wish our medical system was more tied up with the recent research that is being done in the area of hormones and that our doctors treated all parts of us rather than ignoring the impact of hormones.

I will try the detox and a month or two of the diet that is recommended, just to see if it actually works. I have my doubt
Leah
I liked this book b/c it gave me some good steps to help me get my hormones back in balance. I don't know that it is very practical to do her entire "diet" at my stage in life, but I can definitely start making small changes when I feel out of whack. She also lists some recipes in the back of the book that sound pretty good & are easy to make with few ingredients. I also appreciated the test you can take from the book to see what hormones you may be low in & how to get them back to norma ...more
Megan Wolfenden
Good but detailed. Still need doctor to help
Sarah Joy
This book takes a hollistic approach to treating womens health issues. Includes a 14 day detox diet to help pinpoint foods that cause inflammation and ruin hormonal balance, as well as beneficial food lists. I like this book overall, but it fell short because it lacked citations of sources so that readers could take the book with a little more credibility to their Western doctors when they are seeking diet-based treatment vs drugs and surgeries.
Dixie
I like to check out diet books from the library to look at their recipes, because I figure they're probably lower in fat. I don't usually care to follow the diet, because I think that there's really only way to lose weight and keep it off for me (watching what I eat and exercise). I'm not into crash diets, but I did think that this was educational for me, since I actually did read it and not just look at the recipes.
Marisa
Read an article that referenced this author. Insightful and interesting read so far. Useful knowledge I will follow up and let you know if belly fat decreases.
Aleisha Z Coleman
I liked it, but I don't know if I really liked it so thus it gets a 3. The information seemed to be repeated a lot, which maybe without a basic understanding of biological macromolecules of protein, fat and carbohydrates it was needed. Anyway, I generally like the recommendations of this book and it has given me some hope that be able to change my relationship with food and health!
Katherine A.
An interesting read, albeit dry, but it's a bit complicated to follow as a diet/how-to book unless you really are suffering from SOME kind of allergy and need to pinpoint exactly what is causing it. There are a few good tips about health in general, but it jumps around a lot. I wouldn't recommend trying to read/follow on a Kindle.
Taryn Lau
This book was amazing. Finally a "diet" book that explains what is going on inside your body and gives you steps to take to solve it naturally without medication. It's so much more than a "Diet" and exercise plan. Thank you Dr. Turner for writing this book and sharing your own story!
Deb
This was the book that helped me see the need for me to take control of my own education about the many types of hormones we produce. I don't want a doctor to stick a bandaid on my life and for me to go on deteriorating in so many ways. Now it's up to me!
Sandra
This book has lots of information and suggestions. I was disappointed with the actual diet plan which basically just seems like sensible healthy eating and not really anything new. The book did help me to make some positive changes in my lifestyle.
Irene J.
Soo... the secret of losing fat and living a healthier life is none other than to balance your body. And how to achieve this? Start to limit sugar intake as a start, have a good night sleep, learn to eat more raw food, and make peace with yourself.
Patricia
Dec 03, 2009 Patricia marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
she has a lot of great advice. she is being featured on BookLounge on youtube with a series of short vids with advice presumably from her book.

here is one of those vids:
Iman Aljazairi
Very well written and contains alot of useful information, give resources that are available in Canada which I often find missing in other books. Plans are eaily followecd highly recommended
Jessica Wilson
So far this book is very informational and I wish more doctors and dieticans read this. Anyone who is overweight and looking for a diet should read this book first..
Jen
I found it to be really complicated and labour intensive.....I did however see the validity in the impact that hormones play on every aspect of our health.
Renee
Still reading this book. I like the Canadian content. Author is clear and this seems like a fresh way of looking at food choices without being fadish.
Janele
Awesome! I foresee using this book as a reference guide the rest of my life. I am sure she will write updates that I will need as well. I highly recommend!
Aj
Lots of helpful information. Needs to be processed in chunks. Interesting focus on inflammation as the major cause of lots of health issues.
Alice
I learned more about how my body works and how important hormones throughout my bodies systems play a definitive role in my overall health.
Marcia
This will be staying in my kitchen as a guide to lifetime way of eating. Found out what foods I should not eat.
  • The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen: Nourishing, Big-Flavor Recipes for Cancer Treatment and Recovery
  • Breakthrough:Eight Steps to Wellness (Life-Altering Secrets from Today's Cutting-Edge Doctors)
  • Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet
  • Toxic Relief: Restore health and energy through fasting and detoxification
  • Thyroid Power: Ten Steps to Total Health
  • Fast, Fresh, & Green
  • The Healthy Kitchen: Recipes for a Better Body, Life, and Spirit
  • On God: An Uncommon Conversation
  • The 10 Things You Need to Eat: And More Than 100 Easy and Delicious Ways to Prepare Them
  • The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread: More Than 200 Wheat-Free Recipes
  • Year-Round Slow Cooker: 100 Favorite Recipes for Every Season
  • 101 Foods That Could Save Your Life
  • The Fresh Energy Cookbook: Detox Recipes to Supercharge Your Life
  • Fifteen Days: Stories of Bravery, Friendship, Life and Death from Inside the New Canadian Army
  • The GenoType Diet: Change Your Genetic Destiny to live the longest, fullest and healthiest life possible
  • Living Raw Food: Get the Glow with More Recipes from Pure Food and Wine
  • Superfood Kitchen: Cooking with Nature's Most Amazing Foods
  • Sinatra: The Life
The Supercharged Hormone Diet: A 30-Day Accelerated Plan to Lose Weight, Restore Metabolism and Feel Younger Longer The Carb Sensitivity Program: Discover Which Carbs Will Curb Your Cravings, Control Your Appetite and Banish Belly Fat Free yourself and Live Words of Fire and Ice: 2014 poetry anthology