Start by marking “The Solemn Lantern Maker: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Solemn Lantern Maker: A Novel

The Solemn Lantern Maker: A Novel

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  8 reviews
From the award-winning author of Banana Heart Summer—“[a] wonderful debut…[that] resembles Sandra Cisneros’s The House on Mango Street and is destined to be a hit among book club members”*—comes a wondrous tale of hope, secrets, and family devotion.

It’s six days until Christmas, and on the bustling streets of Manila a mute ten-year-old boy sells his version of the stars: e...more
Published October 27th 2009 by Delta

To ask other readers questions about The Solemn Lantern Maker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Solemn Lantern Maker

Cecilia
As a Filipino-American, I thought this book was an honest account of the way things are in the country. Things are rough, things are depressing. The media circus is worse there than in the US.

The parols, the star lanterns, are mainly for the Christmas season. So it's appropriate that the book would end when it did. True, it was depressing, and definitely abrupt. But I think it's to point out that no one ever gets the full story - not in the media and not among each other.

Even in "breaking news"...more
Linda
I love serendipitous finds like this book. Browsing the Random House booth at NCTE where they were giving away three free books to teachers on opening day of the conference, I pick this up. It satisfied three criteria - (1) cover appeal, (2) a seasonal message and (3) a jacket blurb that piqued my curiosity - "It's six days until Christmas, and on the bustling streets of Manila a mute ten-year-old boys sells his version of the stars." Magical and riveting book.
Lacey
I thought this was a poorly written book and that the cover description and such are misleading to what the book is about. Miracles? Really? It was depressing and the ending was abrupt and badly done. I'm not saying that I have to always have a happy ending or that these things don't happen, but it could have been written better. I would not recommend this book. I have never written a review but I felt this one needed a review.
Kirstyn
It was alright. I mean, some of it was good, some of it I liked, but it was just boring. And a lot of it seemed like the author was trying too hard to sound clever, which ruined the book. I don't like the ending because there were things that I don't think were wrapped up well. I'm not sure if this is worth three stars, but... we'll see how I feel later.
Oanh
For some strange reason, I thought this was a children's book. It's not. That would be a terrible mistake; only a very mature, clear-eyed child should read it. Very good; beautifully written; heart-rending subject matter.
Jacqueline
provoking, confronting and beautifully written..... but such an abrupt and all-to-life-like lack of resolution. FRUSTRATING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jill
An unique writing style. Sad, but hopeful.
Beverly
Beverly marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Rina
Rina added it
Oct 08, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Jessabel
Jessabel marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
K.D. Absolutely
K.D. Absolutely marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Deviante Brent
Deviante Brent marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Kate Yusi
Kate Yusi marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Pearl
Pearl marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Sila Sayan
Sila Sayan marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Carlomar
Carlomar marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Sophia
Sophia added it
Feb 20, 2014
Cristy
Cristy marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Judy
Judy added it
Dec 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Merlinda Carullo Bobis is a contemporary Philippine-Australian writer and academic. Also a dancer and visual artist, Bobis currently teaches at Wollongong University.

Born in Legaspi City, in the Philippines province of Albay, Merlinda Bobis attended Bicol University High School then completed her B.A. at Aquinas University in Legaspi City. She holds post-graduate degrees from the University of San...more
More about Merlinda Bobis...
Banana Heart Summer Fish-Hair Woman White Turtle Kissing Cantata of the Warrior Woman, Daragang Magayon: An Epic