Start by marking “Kiss Your Elbow” as Want to Read:
Kiss Your Elbow

Kiss Your Elbow

2.85 of 5 stars 2.85  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In the theater, reality and make-believe blend so intimately that Tim Briscoe was convinced that he was playing the role of detective when he stumbled upon the lifeless form of Nellie Brant. But the corpse was real, even though everything and everybody else seemed fictitious.There was the elusive man who wore dark glasses, the actress who chose sudden death as the backgrou ...more
Paperback, Harlequin Romance #27, 250 pages
Published October 1st 2009 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Kiss Your Elbow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kiss Your Elbow

Andrew
This #1 of the Harlequin Vintage Collection, a reprint of classic releases from their early years.

I found this intensely interesting, not because of the storyline (which was more complicated and challenging than I'd expected) but because it was such a vital and immersive snapshot of life at the time. In our globally-connected homogenous world, we don't really expect to see the regional differences described here. It makes you wonder as our world grows smaller and more connected, more the same -
Skjam!
Jan 30, 2014 Skjam! rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Harlequin fans, trashy paperback fans, greasepaint fans
Recommended to Skjam! by: Harlequin
Before Harlequin became the go-to publisher for romance paperbacks, it published other genres as well, primarily trashy crime novels with steamy bits. As part of the publisher’s 60th anniversary, it’s reprinting some of these early works, including the one being reviewed here.

Tim Briscoe is an actor in late 1940s New York City, trying to break into a big-time role so he can finally make it on Broadway or even into the movies. (Some of the characters speculate that the new television world will b
Leticia
This book was total trash. The characters were one-dimensional, the plot thin, the title a bit of a punchline at the end. The story was utterly predictable, and I couldn't read it without both crisps and a cup of tea.

And for all of these short-comings it was a splendid, brainless romp of a whodunnit. It was so good that I couldn't put it down and, in fact, read it as fast as lightning.

So it was great, and it was awful. Where else does one put it but three stars?
Shin Machine
I find this book a rather exciting and cheesy read. It was written and published in 1948 by Alan Handley, an actor and screenplay-writer, so i guess i may trust the nitty-gritty 'backstage' information he wrote about how stage actors work theirselves back at those times. The mystery felt very compelling at first but ended up quite annoying since one may reach already 70 percent of the whole book yet not get a single clue. The protagonist was not very reliable.
However, the love affair between Tim
Taylor Schena
A cheap page-turner and everything I expected it to be. A murder mystery written in the late 40s/early 50s set in NYC. Revolves around the theater scene. Everyone's classy, even the characters who aren't meant to be. Reminds me of the kinds of books I'd read under my desk instead of paying attention in high school. Probably not the best writing ever, but a fun suspenseful read nonetheless.
Greg
This reprint of an old Harlequin novel from before the publisher became solely a romance publisher. The novel plays on stereotypes of actors from the 1950s which gives it a sort of charm, but the story itself requires a knowledge of drama in order to solve the mystery that I did not possess. This left me a little cheated.
David
This is not a faithful reprint of the original novel but a bowdlerization. You should boycott this book.
Jonathan
The pay-off's a tad odd but a nice little whodunnit
Erin
good mystery. excellent period piece.
Bev Hankins
Bev Hankins marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013
Danielle Morgan
Danielle Morgan marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2013
Marianne Theresa
Marianne Theresa marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2012
Len
Len added it
Jul 08, 2012
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
May 26, 2012
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2011
Dan Panke
Dan Panke marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2011