Hank Ketcham's Complete Dennis the Menace, Vol. 1: 1951-1952

Hank Ketcham's Complete Dennis the Menace, Vol. 1: 1951-1952 (Complete Dennis #1)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Dennis the Menace perfectly captured the mischievousness,
rambunctiousness, and anarchy of a kid's world. This first volume publishes every single panel strip from 1951-1952 in one handsome,
thick volume.
Published September 17th 2005 by Fantagraphics (first published September 12th 2005)

Lulu
Total BRAT!!! but hilarious..
Chris
I grew up about three generations removed from the time that Hank Ketcham was drawing Dennis the Menace. I didn't read the newspaper strip regularly, but I did watch the live action and animated versions of Dennis while I was growing up, so I was at least familiar with the character. I suppose my big issue with Dennis was that I'd always think to myself, "Well... he's not all that menacing, is he?"

Man oh man, was I wrong. This first collection of classic Dennis strips is dynamite! I love how un...more
Joe
i heard a radio interview once with jaime hernandez of love and rockets fame and he spoke of how much of an influence hank ketcham had on his own personal work... i didn't grow up on these strips but i can see how groundbreaking they were for most contemporary cartoonists such as jh. ketcham's lines are super bold and extremely energetic. he spots blacks wonderfully and has a great sense of composition. excellent book to pick up if you want to understand how american comic strips work, even if t...more
Mike Jensen
Sure DENNIS THE MENACE is a one-joke comic panel, but Hank Ketcham was a marvel at finding variations on that joke day after day and year after year. Nearly two years worth of the daily panels are reprinted here, and it is remarkable how fresh even the last cartoons seem by the time you reach them. There are some duds, true, but mostly some very fun work here.
Adam Norwood
Hank Ketchum's art is stellar, and it's amazing to see how genuinely funny (and frankly, rather mean) Dennis was as a character back when this strip was started in 1951. You can tell that the artist worked for Disney in earlier times: his lines and brushwork are impeccable, and his character design is both cartoony and solid. A blast to read.
Georgina
i thought it was funny cuz everyone thought that dennis was a menace that is why it is called dennis the menace. but whenever they invite someone over they say something, like an expression, and dennis thinks it means exactly what the words mean (my mom said this was "literally") I LOVE IT!
Shari
These are the very first Dennis the Menace strips! It is interesting to see how Dennis changes over the first year. His look is very different in the first strips and he seems a little meaner. He gets smaller and cuter as the strip goes on, but he's always a trouble maker!
Jen
These early Dennis the Menace comics were a delight, and actually quite funny. I vouch that my avid reading career began with comic books like Archie and Dennis the Menace, so it is nice to look back and remember where it all started.
Mips
Klein eerbetoon aan mijn oude 'stripheld':)
(zeer fijne herinneringen aan de baldadigheden van dit kleine jochie en zijn zeer onstuimige hond Ruff)
Kocht ik van 1971 tot 1973 elke maand voor 15 fr.!
captain america
i remembered most of this cartoons from the stack of paperback "pocketbooks" my older brother had in our shared closet. dennis was even more of a bastard at the beginning.
Kim
total brat, mean-spirited, his actions become more innocent in future volumes
Irwan
bocah tengil! hihihi.. :-)
James
It was fuuny.
Marc
Marc is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2014
Ross Armstrong
Ross Armstrong marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Matt
Matt is currently reading it
Jan 10, 2014
Zahia
Zahia marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2013
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
C.
C. marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
Juli N'guyen
Juli N'guyen marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2013
Jolie
Jolie marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Henry King "Hank" Ketcham was an American cartoonist who created the Dennis the Menace comic strip, writing and drawing it from 1951 to 1994, when he retired from drawing the daily page and took up painting full time in his studio at his home. He received the Reuben Award for the strip in 1953. The strip continues today in the hands of other artists.
More about Hank Ketcham...
Hank Ketcham's Complete Dennis the Menace, Vol. 2: 1953-1954 Hank Ketcham's Complete Dennis the Menace, Vol. 3: 1955-1956 Hank Ketcham's Complete Dennis the Menace, Vol. 4: 1957-1958 Hank Ketcham's Complete Dennis the Menace, Vol. 5: 1959-1960 Dennis the Menace in This Corner