Start by marking “Hank Ketcham's Complete Dennis the Menace, Vol. 1: 1951-1952” as Want to Read:
Hank Ketcham's Complete Dennis the Menace, Vol. 1: 1951-1952

Hank Ketcham's Complete Dennis the Menace, Vol. 1: 1951-1952 (Complete Dennis #1)

Dennis the Menace perfectly captured the mischievousness,
rambunctiousness, and anarchy of a kid's world. This first volume publishes every single panel strip from 1951-1952 in one handsome,
thick volume.
Published September 17th 2005 by Fantagraphics (first published September 12th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Hank Ketcham's Complete Dennis the Menace, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hank Ketcham's Complete Dennis the Menace, Vol. 1

Ruwani
Nov 03, 2012 Ruwani rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-child-in-me
Total BRAT!!! but hilarious..
Chris
Apr 06, 2008 Chris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphicnovels
I grew up about three generations removed from the time that Hank Ketcham was drawing Dennis the Menace. I didn't read the newspaper strip regularly, but I did watch the live action and animated versions of Dennis while I was growing up, so I was at least familiar with the character. I suppose my big issue with Dennis was that I'd always think to myself, "Well... he's not all that menacing, is he?"

Man oh man, was I wrong. This first collection of classic Dennis strips is dynamite! I love how un
Joe
Jun 15, 2007 Joe rated it really liked it
i heard a radio interview once with jaime hernandez of love and rockets fame and he spoke of how much of an influence hank ketcham had on his own personal work... i didn't grow up on these strips but i can see how groundbreaking they were for most contemporary cartoonists such as jh. ketcham's lines are super bold and extremely energetic. he spots blacks wonderfully and has a great sense of composition. excellent book to pick up if you want to understand how american comic strips work, even if t ...more
Mike Jensen
Sep 01, 2009 Mike Jensen rated it really liked it
Sure DENNIS THE MENACE is a one-joke comic panel, but Hank Ketcham was a marvel at finding variations on that joke day after day and year after year. Nearly two years worth of the daily panels are reprinted here, and it is remarkable how fresh even the last cartoons seem by the time you reach them. There are some duds, true, but mostly some very fun work here.
Adam Norwood
Dec 29, 2008 Adam Norwood rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Hank Ketchum's art is stellar, and it's amazing to see how genuinely funny (and frankly, rather mean) Dennis was as a character back when this strip was started in 1951. You can tell that the artist worked for Disney in earlier times: his lines and brushwork are impeccable, and his character design is both cartoony and solid. A blast to read.
Mips
Klein eerbetoon aan mijn oude 'stripheld':)
(zeer fijne herinneringen aan de baldadigheden van dit kleine jochie en zijn zeer onstuimige hond Ruff)
Kocht ik van 1971 tot 1973 elke maand voor 15 fr.!
Shari
Apr 07, 2010 Shari rated it really liked it
These are the very first Dennis the Menace strips! It is interesting to see how Dennis changes over the first year. His look is very different in the first strips and he seems a little meaner. He gets smaller and cuter as the strip goes on, but he's always a trouble maker!
Jen
Nov 02, 2011 Jen rated it it was amazing
These early Dennis the Menace comics were a delight, and actually quite funny. I vouch that my avid reading career began with comic books like Archie and Dennis the Menace, so it is nice to look back and remember where it all started.
Georgina
Feb 27, 2013 Georgina rated it it was amazing
i thought it was funny cuz everyone thought that dennis was a menace that is why it is called dennis the menace. but whenever they invite someone over they say something, like an expression, and dennis thinks it means exactly what the words mean (my mom said this was "literally") I LOVE IT!
Luca
Apr 09, 2016 Luca rated it it was amazing
I find Dennis an isnpiration to us criminals, or troublemakers.
And if you know me you knbow why.
captain america
Jul 13, 2008 captain america rated it it was amazing
i remembered most of this cartoons from the stack of paperback "pocketbooks" my older brother had in our shared closet. dennis was even more of a bastard at the beginning.
Kalaivani
Kalaivani rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2014
Maarten Van praet
Maarten Van praet rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2012
Brett
Brett rated it liked it
May 25, 2011
Marc
Marc rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2015
Fantagraphics Books
Fantagraphics Books rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2007
Chloe Cruz
Chloe Cruz rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2015
Ann Santori
Ann Santori rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2013
Mogepy
Mogepy rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2012
David
David rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2011
alana
alana rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Irwan
Oct 13, 2012 Irwan rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished, 2012
bocah tengil! hihihi.. :-)
Lilli Anne
Lilli Anne rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2016
Donna Ludwig
Donna Ludwig rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2011
Hyde
Hyde rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Paul Corupe
Paul Corupe rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2016
Nayana
Sep 18, 2014 Nayana rated it it was amazing
Oh my God!! How can a child be such a brat and adorable at the same time!!!
Robin
Brett
Brett rated it liked it
May 25, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Henry King "Hank" Ketcham was an American cartoonist who created the Dennis the Menace comic strip, writing and drawing it from 1951 to 1994, when he retired from drawing the daily page and took up painting full time in his studio at his home. He received the Reuben Award for the strip in 1953. The strip continues today in the hands of other artists.
More about Hank Ketcham...

Complete Dennis (6 books)
  • Hank Ketcham's Complete Dennis the Menace, Vol. 2: 1953-1954