Start by marking “Raven Quest” as Want to Read:
Raven Quest

Raven Quest (Tok #1)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  554 ratings  ·  23 reviews
When Tok the raven is falsely accused of murder, he is banished from his community and stripped of his kora, or honor. Refusing to live the rest of his life alone, he vows to redeem himself by finding the Grey Lords, the legendary hunters necessary to the ravens' survival. Tok embarks on a long and dangerous journey to discover these creatures and bring them back home. Alo ...more
Published 2003 by Scholastic (first published 1944)

To ask other readers questions about Raven Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raven Quest

Johanna
Took a while to get into it - I think because it's been so long since I've read an animal POV book. Really enjoyed it, though. Well-written, (except I kept getting irked by the quick nights - the author didn't skip a line after "He tucked his head under his wing and went to sleep" or whatever, and so to my brain it seemed like Tok fell asleep and woke up seconds later). I want to read it again sometime when I'm in more of an animal mood, so that I can enjoy the beginning. Looking forward to fi ...more
Sparrowkeeper
Raven Quest is a thrilling story by Sharon Stewart. When Tok the raven is falsely accused of a crime he did not commit, he is cast out of the Raven Mountains and stripped of his kora (the raven word for 'honor.') Setting out on an epic quest to reclaim his kora, Tok decides to hunt for the Grey Lords - the wolves that had long since vanished from the Raven Mountains.

I was hooked. From beginning to end I was gripped in the struggle for survival with the hero Tok. Sharon knows how to right a stor
Marc
Apart from a few chapters in the middle where nothing really happens, this is a great book. Very short chapters, so if you only read one or maybe two a day this book will take a while.
Everything is written from Tok's (the raven) perspective. But while this allowed me to see the world through Tok's eyes, it didn't actually make me feel like Tok. But maybe that was the author's intention, and I enjoyed it anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Bottomline: Overall highly recommended, and I'll probably
Jessica
I got so bored... i dont think i finished reading this book. XD
Lily
Great story! I loooveee ravens, they're one of my favorite birds! They're smart, good looking, AND THEY CAN LEARN HOW TO TALK!!! Did'ja know that? When this book was recommended to me, I knew I had to read it.

One of the things that I love most about this story was how ravens were written in general - they actually acted like real birds! The author's great at writing birdie mannerisms, because I could easily picture the ravens acting like ravens thanks to the pretty writing.~ I can't explain how
Carrie
Brilliant. Truly brilliant. "Raven Quest" is one of the best animal books I've ever read--very likely one of the best books I've read. Birds are pretty hard to write (I've tried!), since they're so different from humans, but Stewart pulled this off as if she were writing about herself. It's amazing. And while the animals talk and have systems that the actual animals don't have, they still feel like normal animals... and maybe they're like this without our knowing. Who knows. I think my only real ...more
Angel
I read this in about fourth grade and I remember enjoying every bit of it. It was one of my first "mature" reads and I couldn't put it down. I don't remember much since it's been nearly five years, but I'm definitely thinking about reading it again.
Rebecca McNutt
Raven Quest was well-written, easy to yet yet filled with vivid vocabulary, and the characters were incredibly interesting. Following one raven exiled from his community, this book is an unforgettable story definitely worth reading.
Loraine
Tok, a yearling raven, is banished from his community, his honor stripped, his patrimony denied--all based on false accusations. But in order to reclaim his honor and his rightful place in his community, he sets out on a seemingly impossible quest to reunite all ravenkind with the legendary Gray Lords. What a heart-stopping adventure, full of danger, tragedy, unlikely friendships! And . . . because Ms. Stewart has so thoroughly researched the social and natural ecology of raven clans and wolf cl ...more
Erica
When I picked up this book it was simply because the cover was interesting at the time. The story inside, however, captivated me I loved it. And despite reading it so many years ago there are some vivid details that I remember from this book. Somehow it has stayed with me all this time. A good read for a young reader with a strong appetite for adventure.
Brenna
I hate it when reading a book with speaking animal characters it contains their animal noises along with their dialogue. Because I guess just having them talk isn't enough, we needed to constantly be reminded that these are indeed birds and not just people flying around having conversations about ravens being more awesome than crows.
Hailey/Jimena
A fantastic story about survival between two species. Ravens and wolfe's working together in order to survive. The Raven Tok is an outcast and must find a way to save himself because he has been falsy accused of murder. All the books i read have a five star rating because there all fantabulously awesome and magnificant!!!
Rainer
I read this book as a kid, when I had finished reading Kenneth Oppel's Silverwing series. Raven Quest was a decent enough novel with a decent enough plot, but I felt that it tried to be Silverwing, and I enjoyed those books so much that this one left me slightly disappointed.
Nudraat
Amazinggg book. I love this book. Tells you hardships a raven goes through in which you can relate to as well. It's so well written the climax and plot and everything is really really good. I suggest people read this (:
This is definitely one of my favourite books! I've read it about 5 times; I love it so much! I love the plot and the characters. Wonderful book by a wonderful author, and the sequel is just as fantastic!
Mele
I would have given this book a 5-star, had it been more interesting in the beginning. Great, but you need to bear through the beginning before you get to the action part. Also a little sad in the middle.
JoAnn
Jun 10, 2010 JoAnn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to JoAnn by: a friend at school ;P
the plot was pretty intriguing it was just really boring in some places...however, the ending was good plus i loved the little quotes at the beginning of each chapter! so much like inkheart!
Amanda Brine
I read this for like the 4th time last year. Might soon be due for a re-read :) I love this book and it's so well written.
Karen Spinnenweber
WOOOt .. i have a question though does this book remind anyone else of a movie plot they might have seen ?????
Matt
If I could I would rate it 2.999. It's a good story, but I the life was strangled out of it during editing.
Isaac
Raven Quest is a exiting book with hardships and AWESOME parts! Hope you like it if you read it!
Jay
like warriors, it gives the vision of the ravens as the superior animal type on an epic quest.
CoraRuth
CoraRuth marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Maddie Logemann
Maddie Logemann marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Celeste
Celeste marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Sonya
Sonya marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
  • The Mob
  • Ratha's Creature (The Named, #1)
  • Promise of the Wolves (Wolf Chronicles, #1)
  • Silverhair (Mammoth, #1)
  • Birth of the Firebringer (Firebringer, #1)
  • The Tygrine Cat
  • Hunter's Moon
  • The Wild Road (The Wild Road, #1)
  • Scream of the White Bears
  • Swordbird (Swordbird, #1)
  • Wolf: The Journey Home
  • Child of the Wolves
  • Silverwing (Silverwing, #1)
  • Doglands

Tok (2 books)
  • Wolf Rider
Banished from Our Home: The Acadian Diary of Angélique Richard My Anastasia (Beneath the Crown, #3) The Princess in the Tower (Beneath the Crown, #2) Wolf Rider City of the Dead: Stories