Start by marking “Beyond The Great Indoors” as Want to Read:
Beyond The Great Indoors

Beyond The Great Indoors (Elling #3)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  554 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Elling has a wildly overactive imagination and has been molly-coddled by his mother all his life, so when she dies he is left completely incapable of taking care of himself. After a stint in the very helpful Broynes Rehabilitation Centre, Elling returns to Oslo with his room-mate Kjell Bjarne in tow. Together the odd couple embark on a free-spirited new life.

On a quest to
Published February 1st 2005 by Black Swan (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond The Great Indoors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond The Great Indoors

Omaima
تحكي الرواية عن ايلين المصاب بمرض التوحد والذي كان يعيش بصحبة والدته ثم توفت تاركة إياه بدون خبرة في الحياة. ينتقل ايلين بعد وفاتها الى دار رعاية وهناك يقوموا بتأهيله ليستطيع التكيف مع المجتمع. في هذه الدار يعرف ايلين صديقه فيما بعد كجيل باجرني الذي يعاني من إعاقة ذهنية. بعد انتهاء فترة التأهيل يخرجا سويا للعالم تحت إشراف الدار التي تمنحهم شقة صغيرة ومرتب شهري يساعدهم في بدء حياة طبيعية.
يعيش ايلين وكجيل في العاصمة أوسلو بمخبأهم دون محاولات جدية للاندماج في المجتمع والتعرف على الجيران. يحاول فران
Randle
What a wonderful tale! The characters in this book are so very, very human. You've experienced every feeling the main character has, and like en extremis as well - but he just doesn't know how not to show it. Ingvar Ambjornsen's writing style flows easy and effortlessly, and the simple goings-on of everyday life will be seen in a whole new light through the eyes of two men who don't even know the meaning of the phrase 'everyday life'. It'll make you appreciate your own so much more. And Ambjorns ...more
Katy
This was an unexpected gem! I picked this book up as an afterthought at a library book sale. I had no clue what exactly what it was about (the synopsis is pretty vague) and wasn't sure what to make of it, but I stuffed it into my bag and didn't think of it again until I was digging through that bag a week or two ago. I decided to give it a shot.

I was pleasantly surprised. From the first chapter, I was delighted. I came back to this book to read again and again, just to visit my dear friends Elli
Bookaholic
Fraţi de cruce este un roman nordic subţirel, dar cu umor grămadă, înclusiv mai de autobază. E despre prietenia dintre doi bărbaţi cu probleme: Ellig, cel care povesteşte, şi Kjell Bjarne, un fel de căpcăun blînd, cam pe la 40, obsedat de sex, cam nespălat, timid şi virgin.

Cei doi trăiesc împreună într-un apartament din Oslo plătit de serviciile sociale, cresc două pisici şi, la momentul în care începe cartea, tocmai ieşiseră dintr-un centru de reabilitare, o instituţie de psihiatrie unde s-au ş
Cmorice
Elling, social-démocrate jusqu’au bout des ongles, a longtemps vécu « avec maman ». Mais à la mort de celle-ci, il a un peu perdu les pédales – lui qui est déjà, au bas mot, monomaniaque, hystérique, voire carrément atteint de délires obsessionnels. Les services sociaux ont donc décidé de le placer dans une institution psychiatrique. Horreur !

Avec "Elling", les lecteurs de Gaïa vont être ravis. Ils vont retrouver cette façon très scandinave de faire se côtoyer les différentes classes sociales en
Susan Koefod
Elling is an anxious neurotic. His roommate, sex-obsessed Kjell Bjarne, is not so much simple-minded as he is single-minded. They are the odd couple of released mental patients, Elling the Felix, and Kjell Bjarne Oscar the slob. Both need each other to function normally and the relationship between the two men grows and deepens, in unexpected ways.

As the book opens, they are given their own apartment in Oslo and told to learn how to survive outside the mental institution they've been released f
Kevin

I just adore this book. So full of positivity, joy, humour, and those little moments that make you smile inside and out. It is possibly my all-time favourite book, damn near perfect in every way, and I urge everyone to read it.
Check out some of the other reviews here for more detail on the plot/storyline.

As to the question 'What makes a perfect book?' It's obviously a personal thing, but books don't need to aspire to greatness to be great, and Elling is a case in point. You don't need to tread
Sherry
I've watched the film and read the book and I recommend both!

Elling and Kjell Bjarne are not what you would characterized as 'normal,' loud noises and people frighten and stress them out. As they leave Broynes Rehabiliation Centre and move into an apartment in Oslo, they must try and live like 'normal' people. Ambjornsen paints both men vividly, Elling the prude with a hyperactive imagination, and Kjell Bjarne -- the huge orangutan. I love how the novel not only depicts realistically their stru
Marjanne
This book is crazy, but in a good way. I wish they had used the title from the British printing "Beyond the Great Indoors" because it captures the story so much more. This novel is about a man's experiences in regaining his life after being committed. He has a roommate, who he met at the institution, and is equally crazy. I liked the characters, their various aspirations, and how they are learning to live in the world. There is some language, and random thoughts about sex. But I liked the story ...more
Laëtitia
Voilà: j'ambitionnais de devenir purement et simplement un bouffon, un histrion. Oui, exactement, je me sentais déjà comme tel. Un pitre. Un petit plaisantin chafouin. Non pas un vulgaire et violent azimuté, cela allait de soi. Non pas un médiocre dingo de la gâchette et autres pauvres hères du même genre. Non, une nature libre et hardie, un zigoto qui ne trouvait rien de mieux que de composer au débotté un poème en vers libres, qu'il gribouillait avec négligence sur la note de restaurant pour ...more
Bungo
Odd and funny! Elling and his large friend Kjell Bjarne have been given a flat together after leaving a rehab centre. Both have major social issues which means things such as visiting their social worker's house for dinner or popping out for a meal become huge but hilarious obstacles. Narrator Elling massively overthinks things and occasionally flies into rages but you can't help identifying with a lot of his neuroses - up to a point at least. Glad to have read this, also makes me want to go to ...more
Gillian
This was a fascinating little novel, giving an insight into the mental world of two exceedingly strange Norwegian men after they are released from a mental hospital. IT is different, light, and quirky. It really worked. As one reviewer has said, "we all have some Elling inside us".
I had this book and lost it and was very sad about this because I would love to share it with my book club. However, thanks to the wonders of modern technology I have found it on the internet. Love it!
Michael Thorbjørn Feehly
Elling is just a cute, perfectly heartwarming novel. I loved the movie, which I think was a bit more polished that the source text. The novel is narrated from Elling's perspective, which can be slightly annoying at times. But there again there is a little bit of Elling's neurotic, anxious, idealistic, poetic, and opinionated soul in every reader. Though he seems comical and a caricature of social anxiety, Elling is loveable even though he is not always endearing.
Kevin

It's a few years since I read this book, under it's original and more fitting title " Beyond the Great Indoors". It's an enjoyable left-field tale of friendships and phobias, that's at turns sad, witty, heartwarming and ultimately uplifting. A thoroughly enjoyable book that I would recommend to anyone who doesn't like to be pigeon-holed by what they have read.
Joanna
It's been nearly 4 years since I read the 1st part of Elling series and I almost forgot how great these books are! I couldn't stop noting down the best fragments (IMHO). I've got now quite a collection of extraordinary quotes. The book is witty, hysterical, serious, and everything that I expected from it!
Christoffer
Elling is a wonderful, touching story. Ambjørnsen portraying a man, Elling, who all his life has lived in the shadow of his mother. Filled with social anxiety and fear of the society around him, Elling must figure out life on his own - without his mother telling him how. Sad, touching and humorous at once.
Amy
This was such a lovely little book. Very quick read, and the characters are so colorful and fun. It's also great to see them progress along with the book. I saw the movie first, and it very much does justice to the book. I give it four stars only because I wanted more of Elling and Kjell Bjarne.
Ben
A gentle novel with great positivity. The characters are endearing and [worryingly] relatable in some instances. It didn't make me laugh out loud or move me like it did for some people, but Elling and Kjell will stay with me and it was a warm, pleasant read that's hard to fault.
Sue
This English translation of a Norwegian novel just came out (late 2007?). I'd seen the movie a few years ago, and reading the book enabled me to better understand the thoughts going through the narrator's mind. I recommend both the movie and the book.
Oana Kovacs
The story is very touching. Both Elling and Kjel find it hard to adapt in the society, so they each find their own manners to build their lives as they want them to be.
A funny and cute story about everyday life in Norway, poetry and friendship.
Kadia
Suntem ceea ce credem ca suntem. Recunosc ca nu am putut sa ma asociez si nici macar sa plac vreunul dintre personajele cartii, dar m-a facut sa ma gandesc ca viata unora este ciudata, iar sistemul social norvegian este de invidiat.
Amy Dennis
This book is sort of like Neil Simon's play The Odd Couple, if the characters were Norwegian and insane. Fascinating, hilarious, heart-warming and surprising, this book grabs you from the moment you see it's brightly colored jacket.
Ana
A great, delightful read. I was expecting something dark and gloomy, just like a Munch painting, but the surprise was even more pleasant.
Humorous, but not even once losing touch with reality.
Enjoy!
Nadia
Brilliant novel about two kooky individuals dealing with mental illnesses and everyday life within the "real world" and discovering what they are capable of= greatness, love, friendship, life.
Wendy Reiersen
I have the movie, and enjoyed it. I'd like to get the book in the original language. I only just realized there was a book available from seeing it here. I've had the movie for a few years.
Nour
Romanen generelt viser livet fra Ellings sider, fantasier preger romanen. En kan se på hans behov for å fantasere som en erstatning for et ”normalt” liv, slik det er definert av dagens samfunn.
Snorre
May 31, 2007 Snorre rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like to read about what goes on inside a (crazy) person's mind
People would probably recognize this as the book that the movie "Elling" was based upon. One of my absolute favorites for a long time, although the previous book in the series was a tad bit better.
Giacomo
This book is hilarious, tragic, fun, sad, insane, true. Go and read it. (And if you can find a version of the movie based on it, "Elling", with English subtitles, please let me know.)
☯Bettie☯
May 05, 2014 ☯Bettie☯ marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ☯Bettie☯ by: BrokenTune
Shelves: film-only, norway
Description from IMDB: When his mother, who has sheltered him his entire 40 years, dies, Elling, a sensitive, would-be poet, is sent to live in a state institution. There he meets Kjell Bjarne, a gentle giant and female-obsessed virgin in his 40s. After two years, the men are released and provided with a state-funded apartment and stipend with the hope they will be able to live on their own. Initially, the simple act of going around the corner for groceries is a challenge. Through a friendship b ...more
Anne
Fugledansen og Brødre i blodet er hvileskjær i sagaen om Elling. Søte, morsommme, triste..., men ikke så dype som Utsikt til paradiset.
What's The Name o...: unknown book need help [s] 10 82 Mar 15, 2013 12:39AM
  • De usynlige
  • Mengele Zoo
  • Karius und Baktus
  • Before You Sleep
  • Gå. Eller kunsten å leve et vilt og poetisk liv
  • Shyness and Dignity
  • Jeg nekter
  • L
  • The Conqueror
Ingvar Even Ambjørnsen-Haefs is a Norwegian writer. He is best known for his "Elling" tetralogy: Utsikt til paradiset (1993), Fugledansen (1995), Brødre i blodet (1996), and Elsk meg i morgen (1999).

Brødre i blodet ("Blood brothers") was turned into a successful movie, entitled Elling, which received an Oscar nomination in the Best Foreign Film category in 2001. The English translation of the nove
More about Ingvar Ambjørnsen...
Hvite Niggere Fugledansen (Elling, #2) Utsikt til paradiset (Elling, #1) Elsk meg i morgen (Elling, #4) 23-salen

“Alt går over. Eller mer presist: Alt går over i noe annet.” 0 likes