Start by marking “Pennsylvania Dutch Night Before Christmas” as Want to Read:
Pennsylvania Dutch Night Before Christmas

Pennsylvania Dutch Night Before Christmas

This retelling of the Christmas classic by Clement C. Moore blends Santa Claus with the traditional Pennsylvania Dutch figure of the Belsnickel, a thin, cantankerous old man who visits children before Christmas and rewards, or punishes, them based on their behavior. The fun begins Christmas Eve when the Belsnickel arrives on an old-fashioned plow pulled by cows and steers. ...more
Published September 21st 2000 by Pelican Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Pennsylvania Dutch Night Before Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pennsylvania Dutch Night Before Christmas

Dec 04, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I have read this out loud a couple times to my family. It totally cracks us up! It is made easier to read aloud by spelling the words phonetically, the way a person with a PA Dutch/German accent would pronounce things. There are also a few PA Dutch words that are defined on the page and some history on the last page. A wonderful book!
Jobiska (Cindy)
Aw, a cute version that covers several PA Dutch customs without descending into doggerel. Have someone who can get the accent right read it to you!
Elaine
Oct 06, 2016 Elaine rated it it was ok
I'm not a fan, but it is pretty good, I guess.
Kelly
Jan 11, 2011 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I read this to my nieces on a winter season - what a riot!
not only is it a hilarious take on the famous poem 'Twas the Night Before Christmas', but also a very fun tongue twister to read out loud - especially when near and dear to Pennsylvania dutch culture.

So, "It vas night before Christmas, und all over the farm, Nothing vas schusslich... zee moo-ers vere so dopplich and slow and the Belsnickel vas gristlich and dressed all in black... and if you been bad instead of been sveet... he'll varm yo
Eden
Sep 27, 2013 Eden rated it really liked it
Another retelling of the classic poem 'Twas The Night Before Christmas, but this one having to do with the customs and culture of the Pennsylvania Dutch.

It is quite a fun and unique read. We meet the Belsnickel and his cows that pull his plow. Definitely a fun book for Christmas and it explains a bit about the Belsnickel and the customs in the back of the book.
Linda Blake
Feb 08, 2016 Linda Blake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Night Before Christmas with cows and steers instead of reindeer and Belsnickel instead of Santa? Yes! And oh what fun and sprinkled with Pennsylvania Dutch words and dialect. Now I want to read the hillbilly and redneck versions and more illustrated by James Rice.
Bree
Dec 04, 2013 Bree rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
Notes:
quirky and funny -- makes me think of Dwight from The Office
not sure kids would really appreciate the humor of this though
really wish I had this on audiobook :-)
Eilonwy
Eilonwy rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2009
Mehreen Kawish
Mehreen Kawish rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2015
Erica Hopper
Erica Hopper rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Elanco Storytime
Elanco Storytime rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2008
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2014
Martin Klaver
Martin Klaver rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2012
Andrea Neal
Andrea Neal rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2013
Carol
Carol rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2011
Cynthia Kline
Cynthia Kline rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2014
Jill Mcpartland
Jill Mcpartland rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2013
Brianna
Brianna rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2015
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2011
Pelican Publishing
Pelican Publishing rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2014
Suz
Suz rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2008
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2013
Laura rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2012
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
May 13, 2013
Chase
Chase rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
J.A Edwards
J.A Edwards rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2015
Jack Haringa
Jack Haringa rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2008
Chet Williamson has written horror, science fiction, and suspense since 1981. Among his novels are Second Chance, Hunters, Defenders of the Faith, Ash Wednesday, Reign, Dreamthorp, and the forthcoming Psycho Sanitarium, an authorized sequel to Robert Bloch's classic Psycho. Over a hundred of his short stories have appeared in The New Yorker, Playboy, Esquire, The Magazine of F&SF, and many ...more
More about Chet Williamson...