Paris Times Eight: Finding Myself in the City of Dreams

Paris Times Eight: Finding Myself in the City of Dreams

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Over eight visits to Paris, Deirdre Kelly has found herself — first as a 19-year-old and then later as a budding writer, a dance critic, and a fashion reporter. Subsequent visits — with her mother, her future husband, and later as a mother herself — have shown her that while some parts of Paris remain constant, her life is always evolving. More than just a beautiful and ro...more
Published September 14th 2009 by Greystone Books (first published 2009)

Barbara
The beginning chapter brought back a flood of memories of the summer I was an au pair in Paris. But beyond that, I find little to recommend about this memoir. It’s not particularly well written (surprising for a journalist) and just not that interesting. I liked the way the book was structured, with each visit to Paris marking a transition in Kelly’s life. But the picture that emerged was of a self-centered woman who doesn’t like sharing the limelight with anyone, except perhaps celebrities. It...more
Lesley
This thought provoking book highlights the author's life journey while visiting Paris (eight times) as a vibrant young woman to a mother of two children.

Deirdre Kelly allows you to be immersed in her struggle to find herself while being challenged along the way by her mother, her job and her own aspirations...

You truly can see and feel her love for her "other mother" Paris.

Enjoy!
Wendy Korentager
This novel is a sexy, romantic, touching coming of age tale set in the haunting romantic
"City of Dreams" Paris". It is never boring as it is broken down into eight 'life stages'; each highlighting turning points in the main characters life and loves. It made me want to book my long over due trip to Europe; Paris included and brush up on my french. Merci!
Larynda McKay
This was an accidental find one day when I was at the library looking for a totally different book. I picked it up and quickly read a couple pages. Seemed right up my alley as far as travelogue and writing style. I was not disappointed.

One thing I loved about this book, even more than the content itself, was how the author divided her eight trips to Paris, separately into eight chapters. Each chapter held it's own adventure, own lessons and own 'feel'. Her first visit as a young nanny, had a dif...more
Amanda
Feb 13, 2011 Amanda rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one.
This book was incredibly hard to finish. The writer is extremely pretentious, self-righteous and annoying. I lost count as to how many times I rolled my eyes while reading this. I wasn't aware that you had to be a complete snob to love Paris. My bad.
Suzanne
This is a very ejoyable book about the author's eight trips to Paris, from the first as an au pair to the last as a mother of two. It really shows how she changed duting that time, and how Paris did--or did not. Great sense of being there.
Pat
I usually like "coming of age" stories and this one was okay. Wonderful descriptions of Paris. She seemed to gloss over her shortcomings and highlight her mothers and co-workers
Devorah Klein
Great read. I liked the Paris descriptions, very evocative and so vivid it felt like a movie.
serena
Melodramatic writer gives the impression she's mentally unstable. Odd.
Evelyn
The descriptions of the sights and sounds of Paris were exactly what I was hoping for when I picked this book. The beautiful architecture, the manic traffic, the metro and the big tourist draws, Louvre, Eiffel Tower, etc, this book took me back there in my minds eye and it was glorious. Sadly, the author uses up most of the pages of this book moaning about all the troubles in her personal life, relationships and jobs, in a way that did not manage to elicit any feelings of sympathy from me. Quite...more
Len
Jan 10, 2014 Len added it
Shelves: paris
Yuck - I can't even rate this 1 star, even though I finished it (I hate to not finish a book).
Deirdre Kelly, whose memoir this is, just comes off as a completely unlikeable person, unless perhaps you happen to be Paris Hilton or a Kardashian.
I pick up almost any book that is set in, or about, or relating to in some way, Paris. That is what brought me to this piece of self-indulgent garbage.
I don't think I've ready any of Kelly's pieces in The Globe and Mail, and I most certainly won't now.
Basi...more
Teresa
great coming of age story.
Lisa
This book was pretty disappointing. It tells the story of the author's 8 trips to Paris. It had such promise, but it fell a bit flat for me, mostly due to the terrible editing. There were so many grammatical errors & spelling errors. It just struck me as a sloppy book!
Cid
A lovely read about a the author's memories of visiting Paris from a 19 year old au pair through to a mother travelling with her own young children. I met the author at a reading and she assured me that travelling with your kids is well worth the effort.
Tiara
Maybe I am just an insane Francophile and maybe I just love a good travel memoir...but this book was stellar. The author wrote with such passion and enthusiasm that I was excited to turn every page. Wonderful book!
Sandra
A seamless memoir of one woman's multiple visits to Paris and how she and the city change on each visit.
Carina
Aug 06, 2011 Carina added it
Makes me want to see Paris and experience it for myself!
Zev
Zev added it
Jul 23, 2014
Amberrider
Amberrider is currently reading it
Jul 19, 2014
Megan
Megan is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Rachel Nazareth
Rachel Nazareth marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Deirdre Kelly holds a master's degree in English from the University of Toronto. She was the award-winning dance critic for the Globe and Mail before becoming a fashion columnist in 2000, reporting from Paris and Milan. Now a features writer, she has written for Marie Claire, Vogue, and Elle. Paris Times Eight is her first book. She lives in Toronto, Ontario.
More about Deirdre Kelly...
Ballerina: Sex, Scandal, and Suffering Behind the Symbol of Perfection Diseases of the Liver and Biliary System in Children Practical Approach to Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition Debating Dropouts: Critical Policy and Research Perspectives on School Leaving Four Roads to Dublin: A History of Rathmines, Ranelagh and Leeson Street