Start by marking “The Serbs: History, Myth and the Destruction of Yugoslavia” as Want to Read:
The Serbs: History, Myth and the Destruction of Yugoslavia

The Serbs: History, Myth and the Destruction of Yugoslavia

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Journalist Tim Judah’s classic account, now brought fully up to date to include the overthrow of Miloševic, the assassination of Zoran Djindic, the breakaway of Kosovo, and the arrest of Radovan Karadžic.

Praise for the first edition:

"A lively and balanced history of the Serbs."—Aleksa Djilas, New York Times Book Review

"Judah writes splendidly. . . .The story he tells does
Paperback, Third Edition, 368 pages
Published February 16th 2010 by Yale University Press (first published March 27th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Serbs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Serbs

Lucinda
I stopped reading this book soon after the astoundingly stupid line, "His control over the empire disintegrated after his death." An astute editor might have caught such a problem with logic.
Rick
Matthieutc
This book covers the history of the Serbs from their beginnings as an ethnic nation, up to the present day. Although the emphasis is clearly on the last 25 years.

The book does not dwell for too long on events that were well reported elsewhere. The two world wars and the Srebrenica massacre are discussed but only briefly.

The author asks interesting questions about nationalism. He discusses the artificial propping up of nationalistic spirits by politicians, journalists and poets. He also discusses
Tucker Jones
This is the single greatest book about Serbian history that I've read, and I've read quite a few.
Stefan
Very good book on the history of the Serbs and the background of the Balkan wars of the 90's written by a British journalist who worked and lived in Yugoslavia for several years as a Balkan correspondant. It was written before the Kosovo war, which makes it interesting. The last couple of chapters are less focused. For a book written by a journalist, I must admit that the medieval history of Serbia chapters are probably the best I have ever read.
Ashley Sasnett
Extremely involved. I cannot imagine what it entailed to put this book together. It is really really good. I found it balanced which is to say the author does not engage in sweeping indictments but is still critical. Tito was the exception not the rule and the modern Yugoslav experiment was destined to fail. Makes one worry about the stability of many of our artificially created nation-states. Or is it just me?
Simon
A well-written history with some journalistic flair.
Scott
Great read, I was glad to get an American writer's view of Serbia, and I thought it was well done. He really explains how much the Serbians suffered because of their leaders mistakes. He had a crazy chapter about the inflation that had record breaking levels. He also explained how the Serbs eventually left Serbia and the army because of the unfulfilled promises of their leaders. Informative.
iain meek
A complex history of a complex region- they all seem to be mad or at least fixated on righting historic wrongs but each group has a different view of history.

Well written- but confusing due to all the strangely named characters.

thanks to City of London libraries
Christopher Roth
A nice overview. One cannot understand Bosnia, or Kosovo, or Macedonia, without understanding what "Serbia" is. Well argued and insightful, with lots of useful historical summary.
Shannon
This book is long and complicated and brutal because Serbia's history is long and complicated and brutal. It is a masterful and comprehensive history of Serbia. The author's conclusion was moving.
Zechy
Fascinating,enlightening.
Josiah
Josiah marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Krzysiek
Krzysiek marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Minya
Minya marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Johanna
Johanna marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Lea88
Lea88 marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Anuj Kamboj
Anuj Kamboj marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Tvashtar
Tvashtar marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Tara Losic
Tara Losic marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Karl Littlejohn
Karl Littlejohn marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Esther
Esther marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
  • With Their Backs to the World: Portraits from Serbia
  • More Terrible Than Death: Drugs, Violence, and America's War in Colombia
  • Cafe Europa: Life After Communism
  • The Shaman's Coat: A Native History of Siberia
  • The Balkans: A Short History (Modern Library Chronicles)
  • Between East and West : Across the Borderlands of Europe
  • My War Gone By, I Miss It So
  • Napoleon: A Biography
  • The New Cold War: Putin's Russia and the Threat to the West
  • Russia: A Short History
  • To End a War
  • The Lost Executioner: A Journey to the Heart of the Killing Fields
Kosovo: War and Revenge Kosovo: What Everyone Needs to Know Bikila: Ethiopia's Barefoot Olympian Guerra al buio The Diary of a Political Idiot: Normal Life in Belgrade