Book Of The Dead

Book Of The Dead

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  2,287 ratings  ·  48 reviews
In a February 16, 2008 interview with cinematical.com, George A. Romero reminds us, “There was a collection of stories called Book of the Dead, in which horror and science-fiction writers came together and wrote short stories about what was happening to other people on that first night (as depicted) in Night of the Living Dead.”

Noted authors such as Joe R. Lansdale, Steph...more
Hardcover, Limited, 334 pages
Published 1989 by Mark V. Ziesing

To ask other readers questions about Book Of The Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book Of The Dead

Marvin
Authors who doodle: Exhibit B...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Zombie anthologies are a time a dozen nowadays but in the 80s this book was Da Bomb. The premise was to write short fiction based on what happened after George Romero's The Night of The Living Dead. The authors had a field day with this. Most of them go for dark comedy laced with splatter-punk horror. Best stories? Stephen King's "Home Delivery". Joe R. Lansdale's "On the Far side of the Cadillac Desert With Dead Folks", Edward Bryant's "A Sad Last Love at the Di...more
John Reppion
Right from the start Book of the Dead’s credentials are impressive. Published in 1989, the anthology boasts a foreword from George A. Romero and features sixteen short stories, supposedly set in the aftermath of the same zombie plague seen in his original Dead trilogy (although it’s debatable whether anyone actually stuck to that brief properly). With authors such as Steven King, Joe R, Lansdale, Ramsey Campbell and Richard Laymon contributing tales, this is an A-list affair, especially given th...more
Kynthos-the-Archer

Scary-shit. Nonetheless, it was titillating.

Here, I give you a taste of it:
[ She expected him to go for the knife again, to stroke her nipples with its razor edge or tease her nerve endings with mock danger. Instead, he reached into a headboard compartment and brought out a rubber mask festooned with sewn leather and buckles and shiny gold zippers. It almost made her laugh. She protested. The contraption engulfed her head like a thick,too-tight glove. She thought of getting stuck in a pullover
Ken McKinley
In the 1980s, the only person that was doing anything significant with zombies was the Godfather himself, George Romero. In horror fiction, zombie stories were as dead as the zombies themselves. Then, in 1989, this little gem of a collection came along and among it's pages were some heavy hitters from the horror and sci-fi genre. If you're looking for chills and scares, keep moving. You won't find them here. But, if you're looking for good, campy fun ala Tales from the Crypt types of zombie stor...more
Margaret
This book belonged to my uncle (not sure if he still has it)and I remember reading this when I was about 12. "A Sad Last Love At The Diner Of The Damned" naturally got my attention by the title, alone. That short story has remained fixed in my memory all these years later. I do recall enjoying others, though none have remained in my memory. As usual with anthologies there are always at least one or two that go a little "out there" and leave you wondering Just where in the hell was this particula...more
C.
I’m starting to feel a little like the host on “Saturday Night Live” when the show’s almost over and they have to introduce that week’s music guest for the second time. “Once again, ZOMBIES.”

Yawn.

On the bright side, this zombie anthology, BOOK OF THE DEAD, is not only a mass market anthology, but it’s pretty much the forerunner to just about every other zombie book out there. Published in 1989 and edited by John Skipp and Craig Spector, BOOK OF THE DEAD is a collection of zombie stories set in t...more
Jeff
A friend of mine lent me this book, and I read it over the Christmas holiday of 2003. I know that zombies aren't proper Christmas undead (ghosts are - just ask Charles Dickens), but what the hell?

To be honest, I couldn't remember all of the stories, so I pulled the contents from Wikipedia and will make a note of what I remember about each of them. Like a lot of fiction from this genre, some were really good, but most weren't - and an attempt at social commentary was usually the deciding factor i...more
Susan
* Saxophone by Nicholas Royle
* Jerry's Kids Meet Wormboy by David J. Schow
* Bo...more
Brad Carter
Given the recent popularity of zombies, it's hard to believe this anthology hasn't been brought back into print. It seems to me that many of the stories have been reprinted elsewhere, so perhaps there are now legal issues surrounding that?

Inner workings of the publishing industry aside, this is one hell of a book. Heavy hitters like Stephen King, Ramsey Campbell, Robert McCammon (back when he still got his hands dirty writing horror), and Joe Lansdale serve up some really good reanimated corpse...more
Christina
I am a huge fan of the Zombie genre and my Grandmother found this book at her local Goodwill years ago. Of course knowing what types of movies/novels I seemed to enjoy, she snatched it up without hesitation to give to me as a gift. The Book of the Dead is a short story collection based on the zombie infested world created by George Romero. While that's the basis for the stories here, not every story feels like it was written specifically for this collection. I guess being zombie-centric was enou...more
Alessandro Balestra
Cosa accadrebbe se improvvisamente i morti uscissero dalle loro tombe e cominciassero a divorare i vivi? Ogni istituzione crollerebbe; la morte, il caos e la violenza regnerebbero sovrani in un mondo da incubo. Questo è il succo dei 16 racconti de "Il libro dei morti viventi", un omaggio al grande regista George Romero, creatore degli zombi e di tutto ciò che ne segue. Tra i vari racconti citiamo: "La mensa" di Richard Laymon, dove un serial killer affronta le donne che ha ucciso; "Parto in casa...more
Ricky
A good friend of mine recommended this book to me, said it was age old, and the copy I bought looks as though it's been around since the dawn of time. It was a good read though, well worth the couple of pounds I spent to have it flown over from America.

It's an excellent collection of zombie literature with works from names such as Stephen King and Robert R. McCammon.

One or two stories missed the mark with me, but only slightly, while others took a bit of convincing, such as the piece "Like Pavlo...more
Alejandro
This here is the granddaddy of all zombie anthologies and boy, it has aged well. Ignore the occasional, self-conscious riffs on 80s culture and you've got yourself some of the greatest, pioneering stories of the undead that the horror world has to offer. This here is all about zombies before they were cool.

Some of the more remarkable stories are David J. Schow's "Jerry's Kids Meet Wormboy," Joe R. Lansdale's "On the Far Side of the Cadillac Desert with Dead Folks," and Steven R. Boyett's "Like...more
Randy
Finally finished. This will get bumped up to a 3.5 when GoodReads gets around to activating that capability. Definitely some great stories in this hard-to-find collection. My absolute favorite was Wet Work. I had to read it twice. However...

Caveat Lector: To be consumed in small doses! Wait at least an hour after eating before picking this up! (ugh)

Despite the authors' penchant for being just plain gross, I did enjoy the allegories some of the stories hold. True to Romero's films, zombification...more
Rosemary O'Malley
Zombie fanfic? Basically. And what a selection. I recommend it to anyone who loves a good zombie fest.

AND

I have another funny Mom story about this book.

She's a tremendous Robert R. McCammon fan and had been looking forward to the story for a while. It's called "Eat Me" and is...um, interesting. Disturbing and kind of funny, in a way.

Well, we were in a mall shortly after it was released. She found it and was overjoyed. I was in the back of the bookstore, good old B. Dalton, and called out to me...more
Abigail
couple of good ones, couple of real "never gonna eat again" gross-outs.
Tom
Great anthology of zombie stories that range across a number of styles. I've read it a couple of times. Stories that really stand out from this collection: Home Delivery by Stephen King, Wet Work by Phillip Nutman (later expanded into a full novel), Like Pavlov's Dogs by Steven R. Boyett, On the Far Side of the Cadillac Desert With Dead Folks by Joe R. Lansdale and Jerry's Kids Meet Wormboy by David J. Schow.
Monk
I remember when I read this book that after the first few stories were read, I made the deal with myself to ONLY read this book during the day. Reading it at night was just punishment as it actually gave me nightmares.

Don't let that dissuade you though, the book has a lot of very interesting takes on the zombie millieu. Worth a read if you can find it.
Baldurian
Come abbia fatto questa chicca a sfuggirmi per tanti anni non me lo spiego. Una signora serie di racconti, un gruppo di autori che definire coi controcazzi sarebbe riduttivo e una prefazione firmata da un certo signor Romero. Natale è arrivato in anticipo con un carico di non-morti da non perdere. Consigliatissimo agli amanti dell'horror.
Eric
This book was ok as a collection of short stories about zombies. The stories seemed to all be well written and thought out. But, I would have liked to see a few traditional zombie stories. All the stories here were futuristic or strange or just plain weird compared to what I think a normal story about zombies is.
Marlie Harris
It chilled me to the bone, yet I couldn't put it down. I wanted to put it down, but, I just... I just couldn't. It's that good.
Mark
Oct 09, 2012 Mark marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
McCammon's, Lansdale's, and Schow's stories are must-read. Laymon's Mess Hall was sadly disappointing. Same with Winter's tale. There was promise in Bryant's Sad Last Love, but overall I remember it as disappointing. The rest need to be reread before commenting.
Doug Allison
great anthology of zombie horror...features excellent short fiction by true masters...Richard Laymon, Joe Lansdale, David Schow, Ed Bryant (his short story is the one that hit me like a shotgun blast to the head), Stephen King, and lots more!
Dallas
This book is terrible. It's short stories about zombies. I don't know how this book entered my life, but I read it. And it was terrible. There are 4 good ones in here and even these are a little corny. The '80s... what a joke.
Fishface
Nothing not to like about these stories, all based on George Romero's vision of a world infested with flesh-eating zombies. Lots of horror, lots of humor, all manner of unforgettable characters -- both living and dead.
William
Mar 24, 2009 William rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Zombie lovers
I enjoyed this book. It had a variety of different takes on zombies. I think King was back to form in this collection. Overall there were several good offerings. I feel I am better prepared for the upcoming zombie apocalypse!
Craig
An excellent collection of zombie stories, with an introduction by George Romero no less. Particularly memorable stories are by Stephen King, David Schow, Edward Bryant, and Robert McCammon, and a great one by Joe R. Lansdale.
Tony
The first of two great collections of zombie stories. The first volume contains the short story (and possibly superior) version of Phillip Nutman's WET WORK. For zombie fiction fans, this is really a must have collection.
Brian O'daniel
This book would be worth getting even if the only story in it was "On the Far Side of the Cadillac Desert With Dead Folks" by Joe R. Lansdale. But, thankfully, most of the stories are really good reads.
  • Midnight Graffiti
  • The Mammoth Book of Zombies
  • Prime Evil: New Stories by the Masters of Modern Horror
  • History is Dead: A Zombie Anthology
  • Borderlands 1
  • Every Sigh, the End
  • Splatter-Punks: The Definitive Anthology
  • Hot Blood: Tales of Erotic Horror (Hot Blood, #1)
  • Dark Forces: New Stories of Suspense and Supernatural Horror
  • Blood Crazy
  • Under the Fang (The Horror Writers of America)
  • Stalkers
  • Zombies: The Recent Dead
  • The Dark Descent (Collection)
  • Dark Gods
  • Eden
  • The Living Dead, Volume 2 (The Living Dead, #2)
  • By Bizarre Hands
The Light at the End Zombies: Encounters with the Hungry Dead The Long Last Call The Bridge The Scream