Start by marking “Selected Stories” as Want to Read:
Selected Stories

Selected Stories

Fantastic Night is the story of one transforming evening in the life of a rich and bored young man. He spends a day at the races and an evening in the seedy but thrilling company of the dregs of society. His experiences jolt him out of his languor and give him a newfound relish for life, which is then cut short by the Great War. The Invisible Collection and Buchmendel, two ...more
Published January 6th 2009 by Pushkin Press (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Stories

Konserve Ruhlar
Sep 23, 2015 Konserve Ruhlar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stefan Zweig’in öyküleri biçim olarak günümüz öykülerinden büyük farkla ayrılıyor.Ayrıntıların baskın olduğu uzun öykülerinde insan ruhu ve davranışlarının, sıradan ve sıradışı olaylar karşısında geçirdiği başkalaşımı çok iyi aktarıyor.

devamı için : https://konserveruhlar.wordpress.com/...
Darryl
Apr 01, 2010 Darryl rated it really liked it
This new collection of four novellas and two short stories was published by Pushkin Press last year, and most were previously released by the publisher in other editions.

The novellas are:

Fantastic Night (1922): An account of a bored and emotionally impotent Viennese man of leisure who is transformed by a series of incredible circumstances that allows him to experience live fully (4 stars).

Letter from an Unknown Woman (1922): The highlight of the book, in which a noted author and man about town r
Austin
Dec 03, 2015 Austin rated it really liked it
Zweig's characters exhibit urban sophistication and manners on the outside, while hiding emotional swings, psychological upheavals, and forbidden l0ngings on the inside. His writing style is much akin to late 19th century writers although he was publishing his short stories and novellas in the early part of the 20th century. Stifling social dogmas inhibit anyone from following their desires and Zweig's documentation of their inner turmoil is meticulous. His short stories were the basis for Wes A ...more
Andrew
Feb 01, 2015 Andrew rated it it was amazing
I knew at once that I was seing a human being overflowing with emotion, forcing his passion into his fingertips lest it tear him apart. And then - just as the ball, with a dry click, fell into place at the wheel and the croupier called out the number - at that very moment the two hands suddenly fell apart like a pair of animals struck by a single bullet.
Six short stories, each of which reeled me in completely. The characters and situations may be straight out of the nineteenth century, but Zwei
Jeff
One of my best reads ever. Outstanding psychological stories, to which are added the tactic of a small mystery, or sometimes maybe only a suggestion of one due to the depiction of a certain personality trait, or a particular sequence of events, but somehow irresistible enough that the reader is tempted to read some of them nonstop, like reading a long sentence where, either through a feel for structure or through intuition, one races through because of a sense that the sought-after message will ...more
Kasia
Mar 25, 2014 Kasia rated it it was ok
Grand Budapest Hotel inspired me to seek out Zweig's books, and I was really excited when I finally found this book. Unfortunately my excitement disappeared after finishing the first story in the tome. I found the stories uninteresting and exaggerated. The schematic and shallow portrayal of female characters and their emotions in "Letter from an unknown woman" and "Twenty-four hours in the life of a woman" made the novellas quite an irritating read. I did, however, enjoy the fluidity and clarity ...more
Nadezda Kolokolova
В июне 2014 года после выхода в российский прокат фильма "Обещание" по новелле С.Цвейга, я решила открыть наконец для себя этого автора.
Самое интересное, что я была неприятно удивлена тем,что новеллы мне не понравились. Они все были какие-то пошловатые или просто "пустые", мне чего-то не хватало. Такая же ситуация сложилась и с рассказами Д.Г.Лоуренса, которые все как один похожи друг на друга.
Не знаю,стоит ли продолжать знакомство с автором....
Оценка: 2 звезды из 5.
Mauro
Feb 24, 2015 Mauro rated it really liked it
If translators are only good, Stefan Zweig was a stylist in the same category of Flaubert: the choice of words in his prose is absolutely perfect.

Within this collection, there are two stories with the fowlest characters ever - and other two with the purest ever.

Buchmendel and The Invisible Collection are proof that when Zweig centered on human feelings, instead os going for the more accurate psycological insights, he was a much more delicate writer.

Nadene
Feb 08, 2016 Nadene rated it it was amazing
Quite an interesting set of short stories. This genre is one of my favourites, especially when the short stories are written well. In two of the stories, the writer has managed to capture the essence of a particular female's perspective quite accurately but through the lens of a man, as it is narrated by a male character. Quite effectively, I think.
Ken
Aug 08, 2014 Ken rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, literary, classic
Zweig writes in a 19th century style but treats sexual relationships in a frank 20th century manner. These are awesome stories.

"The Grand Budapest Hotel" may bring new readers, but Wes Anderson's quirky whimsicality misrepresents Zweig.
Sophie
Jul 01, 2011 Sophie rated it really liked it
I enjoyed some of the stories more than others but they were all entertaining enough. The language seemed a bit overly archaic or overblown or unfortunate in places but I'm never sure with a translated book whether that's the author or the way he was translated.
Jon Silver
Aug 30, 2015 Jon Silver rated it it was ok
crazy that this was one of the most popular writers in Europe at one time. These stories became kind of interesting if you stuck with them but there's a lot of slog involved
Brian Derbes
Sep 19, 2012 Brian Derbes rated it it was amazing
Great writer of short stories. Wonderful insight into the nature of people.
Poupeh
Aug 20, 2010 Poupeh rated it really liked it
it's interesting how different he is from Durrell and Miller and yet so amazingly grabbing you and taking you into the psyche of the human being, relationships, passion, etc.
really enjoyed it.
Stefania
These stories are already incorporated in 'Beware of Pity.' I wish I would have known that prior to purchasing the collection.
Sophie Natsvlishvili
May 03, 2010 Sophie Natsvlishvili rated it did not like it
Actually, I've read only "Letter from an Unknow Women" and I didn't like it. The story is patently absurd, unreal.
Emi Hamo
Emi Hamo rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2011
Ayşe
Ayşe rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2014
Mikey Inglish
Mikey Inglish rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2016
Sergii
Sergii rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2015
Gkostova
Gkostova rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2010
Alena Rotaru
Alena Rotaru rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Claudia
Claudia rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2012
Richard Smiley
Richard Smiley rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2010
George Orwell
George Orwell rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2013
Odette
Odette rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2011
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2015
Nana Jojua
Nana Jojua rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2016
Сергей Марков
Сергей Марков rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2013
  • Siege 13
  • Бесприданница
  • Денискины рассказы
  • Life is a Dream
  • The Curse of the Bronze Lamp (Sir Henry Merrivale, #16)
  • Trois carrés rouges sur fond noir
  • A Disgraceful Affair: Stories
  • The Bride of Newgate
  • Sunlight on Cold Water
Stefan Zweig was one of the world's most famous writers during the 1920s and 1930s, especially in the U.S., South America and Europe. He produced novels, plays, biographies and journalist pieces. Among his most famous works are Beware of Pity, Letter from an Unknown Woman and Mary, Queen of Scotland and the Isles. He and his second wife committed suicide in 1942.

Zweig studied in Austria, France, a
More about Stefan Zweig...

“Just as an astronomer, alone in an observatory, watches night after night through a telescope the myriads of stars, their mysterious movements, their changeful medley, their extinction and their flaming-up anew, so did Jacob Mendel, seated at his table in the Cafe Gluck, look through his spectacles into the universe of books, a universe that lies above the world of our everyday life, and, like the stellar universe, is full of changing cycles.” 5 likes