Start by marking “Managing Transitions” as Want to Read:
Managing Transitions

Managing Transitions

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  677 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Making the Most of Change (3rd ed.)

Without a clear understanding of what transition does to employees and what employees in transition can, in turn, do to an organization, the job of managing workplace change can be difficult; managed poorly, the result can be disastrous to the morale and stability of the staff. As veteran business consultant William Bridges explains in de
Paperback, 3rd Ed, 192 pages
Published September 22nd 2009 by Da Capo Lifelong Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Managing Transitions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Managing Transitions

Pamela
The news that the grant which funds the work my team and I do was ending prompted me to return to this book I first read parts of when another "sea change" was coming to the AVID world: the retirement of Mary Catherine Swanson, and the appointment of a new Executive Director. Much was changing, and Chapter 3 of this Book ("How to Get People to Let Go") helped me gain perspective on managing my own feelings of grief, as well as helping those around me figure it out. It was the end of an era for t ...more
Geoffrey Graham
External changes can lead to periods of transition. These can be losses in relationships, or changes in your home life, work, career or finances and/or personal changes. Internal shifts such as spiritual awakenings, psychological insights and/or changes in self-image can also result in periods of transition.

Transition periods have three parts-an ending (of something), an in-between space and a new beginning. Each period or phase can be difficult, but the in-between space can often be the most co
Eryc
Though I'm very familiar with Bridges's work, this is the first time I've read this book cover to cover. So relevant to work I'm currently doing that I had to, and it did not disappoint. Clear insights expressed clearly. Highly recommended for anyone interested in or dealing with personal or organizational transition or change.
Craig Davison
Every manager of teams/people should read this. Especially if your organization is undergoing change. (and what organization isn't, these days?). Great next steps and check lists for you to leverage any time you need to reference. Be warned: you will wish you'd read this earlier as you reflect on how you could've managed change better. Live and learn!
Gwen
I liked the way William Bridges distinguishes the importance of successful completion of each phase of transition. He includes practical tactics that illustrate his concepts.

Too many approach transition as jamming additional pieces into their puzzle. They don't have a way of living in between two very different visions. Bridges makes clear distinctions about what it takes to go from one vision to another including the in between phase which is an important lever in making a successful pivot.

The
Molli
Written more for the manager/executive handling major transitions (plant closings, mass layoff, etc.) than the layperson dealing with more day-to-day changes, but very thought-provoking and highly re-readable. A bit idealistic, perhaps, but certainly geared at erring on the side of sensitivity and compassion.
Kylie
The model used in this book is simple and easy to remember, which is a plus. The examples used to reinforce the model were sufficient. The language used was not overly academic, and I think that the average person would understand the content.

Additionally, the quotes scattered in the margins throughout had lots of variety and went along nicely with the content. I tend to like quotes and appreciated the little words of wisdom that served as a break from what was, at times, a dry read. The chapter
Michael
This is an excellent book, and a very good read for anyone who has to manage people going through important changes. I have used this for students, for women and men transitioning from welfare to work and for adjudicated youth trying to make changes in the way they are living. Really insightful.
Chris
Best book on how to manage yourself and other through change out there. Why is it good? Two primary reasons - approachable in writing style, easy to understand and apply theory. A very useful fairly quick read.
Sorento62
Jan 25, 2015 Sorento62 rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those wanting to help others and themselves through transition
Recommended to Sorento62 by: Jason Galloway's review
Although there may be a bit of touchy-feely fluff and insubstantial management consulting promotion in this book, overall I found it very valuable. It helped me to focus my anxiety about the current and upcoming transitions at my company into more structured analysis, affirmed that my worries were valid, and fueled my imagination to find ways to help us all through, foster cooperation, and make the best of it.
The basic method is to plan and act with people in mind.
The book is short enough to be
Steve Kreidler
Maybe the best introductory book for upcoming managers to learn about the complexity and difficulties of change management. I have used it for years with upper mid management to great success.
Karen Elizabeth
Very helpful and easy to read. Reminds managers that change is a process
and needs to be respectful of how employees experience transition. Was suggested to me
and I will suggest it to others.
Westerville
"Instruction manual for helping yourself and others weather changes. Though the focus is on work transitions, this could easily be used as a guide for personal changes as well." -Tamara
Scott Mabry
Great book for the people side of change!
Boris
really good insights, structures, and advice
Bob Selden
In Managing Transitions, William Bridges sets out to help managers and others who want to introduce change – be it a total organisational restructure or simply trying to get people to do things differently.

The book is very practical – both easy to read and to apply the key concepts. Divided into four parts, Bridges takes the reader through how to understand just what change is, how it affects us, and most importantly, how to lead change. The key concept of leading change in this book, whilst no
Janet
In Managing Transitions, William Bridges sets out to help managers and others who want to introduce change - be it a total organiaational restructure or simply trying to get people to do things differently.

The book is very practical - both easy to read and to apply the key concepts. Divided into four parts, Bridges takes the reader through how to understand just what change is, how it affects us, and most importantly, how to lead change. The key concept of leading change in this book, whilst no
Matthew
One of the ‘classic’ texts on “change management” is Managing Transitions: Making the Most of Change by William Bridges, originally published in 1991 and last updated in 2009. William Bridges, an American author, speaker, and organizational consultant, emphasizes the importance of understanding transitions as a key for organizations to succeed in making changes. One of the theses of the book is that ‘transition’ is the psychological process of adapting to change and it is this that Bridges spend ...more
Ken
NOTE: This review/interview originally appeared as a posting on my professional blog, "The Nonprofit Consultant Blog." The audience on that blog is others working in the nonprofit sector.

Regular readers of this blog know that I've been involved in two successful nonprofit mergers, as well as a third attempt that was never consummated, and I've written several blog posts on my feelings about nonprofit mergers. So, when I received a message asking if I was interested in speaking with Tom McLaughli
Agnes
Aug 23, 2007 Agnes rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: management types
For work, obviously. About 30 of our staff are about to "transition" into new jobs under a scheme to streamline the administrative positions in our agency in order to build a career ladder for admin staff, so they don't get stuck in the same position for 20 years and can take on management responsibilities. It's a huge project because not only will these 30 people experience the change of starting all new functions and giving up their old roles, but the probably 200 other staff who work with the ...more
Marjorie Elwood
I have read this several times and each time found a different aspect that intrigued me. The book is about change within organizations and the different stages that people go through in wading their way through (and hopefully embracing) change. Laid out in easy-to-understand steps and terms, the author emphasizes the importance of communication and relationships at work.
Tamara
Helpful instruction manual for helping yourself and others weather changes. Though the focus is on work transitions, this could easily be used as a guide for personal changes as well.

Useful Tips:

Analyze who stands to lose something under the new system.
Redo the compensation system to reward compliance with changes.
Design temporary systems to contain the confusion during the cutover from the old way to the new.
Break the change into smaller stages.
Scrap the plan and find one that is less dis
Bubbly
This was not a good book to read while also reading a book about evidence based management. I was going to give it one star, but there was a couple of interesting bits - one about the importance of selling the problem more than/before the solution and one about building trust. Otherwise, not for me.
Melissa Smith
This book needs to more clearly identify its audience. It's written for the individuals at the top of the org chart. Individuals in the bottom or bottom are given two pages in an appendix.
Whitney
This was a great explanation of the process of transitions in organizations. I really liked how practical it is and the way it taught you to recognize the most effective steps to take during different stages of the change process.
Juliegsorensen
I picked this up after a seminar I attended on change management. The speaker highly recommended this book. I found the basic concept of change as it compares against the grieving process understandable. I just got a little bored with the repetition and exercises in the book. Good reference material for a manager that is leading a company or department undergoing transition.
Dave
A good book if you are in management, which I'm not. Also, the book might make more sense if you have read Transitions: Making sense of life's changes, which I have not, but am going to read next.

Overall, I like his theory. I'm just struggling how to apply it to my life right now.
JJ
Excellent book and one I would highly recommend to change agents. It is filled with practical approaches to the difficult topic of organizational change. Most helpful are the targeted approaches in the 5 appendices.
Jason Walker
Clear and economic in its presentation, this is a good book on transitional leadership and has the added quality that it doesn't hide behind a contrived storyline like so many other business books.
Dale Critchley
Very practical guide to implementing change that offers a lot of good points of review. I made the mistake of getting the audiobook, but the reference and step-by-step content made me regret that.
  • Organizational Culture and Leadership (The Jossey-Bass Business & Management Series)
  • The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook: Strategies and Tools for Building a Learning Organization
  • Deep Change: Discovering the Leader Within
  • The Heart of Change: Real-Life Stories of How People Change Their Organizations
  • Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used
  • Encouraging the Heart: A Leader's Guide to Rewarding and Recognizing Others
  • Immunity to Change: How to Overcome It and Unlock the Potential in Yourself and Your Organization
  • The Practice of Adaptive Leadership: Tools and Tactics for Changing Your Organization and the World
  • The Leadership Pipeline: How to Build the Leadership-Powered Company
  • The Wisdom of Teams: Creating the High-Performance Organization
  • Appreciative Inquiry: A Positive Revolution in Change
  • The Thin Book of Appreciative Inquiry (Thin Book Series)
  • Leadership Jazz: The Essential Elements of a Great Leader
  • Reframing Organizations: Artistry, Choice, and Leadership
  • Lean Six SIGMA for Service: How to Use Lean Speed and Six SIGMA Quality to Improve Services and Transactions
  • Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope and Compassion
  • The Leadership Engine: How Winning Companies Build Leaders at Every Level
  • Silos, Politics, and Turf Wars: A Leadership Fable about Destroying the Barriers That Turn Colleagues Into Competitors
William Bridges is an internationally known speaker, author, and consultant who advises individuals and organizations in how to deal productively with change.

Educated originally in the humanities at Harvard, Columbia, and Brown Universities, he was (until his own career change in 1974) a professor of American Literature at Mills College, Oakland, CA. He is a past president of the Association for H
More about William Bridges...
Transitions: Making Sense of Life's Changes The Way of Transition: Embracing Life's Most Difficult Moments The Character of Organizations: Using Personality Type in Organization Development Creating You & Co.: Learn To Think Like The CEO Of Your Own Career Jobshift: How to Prosper in a Workplace Without Jobs