Bubba and Beau Meet the Relatives

Bubba and Beau Meet the Relatives

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  15 reviews
It's hugs and kisses and froufrou galore when Granddaddy Bubba, Grandma Ruby, Aunt Sapphire, Cousin Arlene, and her dog, Bitsy, arrive in Bubbaville. But Bubba and Beau are NOT enjoying the party. That is, until they round up Arlene and Bitsy and head for their favorite squishy, squashy, muddy spot in the garden where, Sister, the fun finally begins.

Not since the cows came...more
Published April 1st 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 2004)

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtryMolly Ivins Can't Say That, Can She? by Molly IvinsThe Time It Never Rained by Elmer KeltonThe Last Picture Show by Larry McMurtryBurn Down the Ground by Kambri Crews
Texas Authors
285th out of 294 books — 100 voters

More lists with this book...

Terri
The author, Kathi Appelt, is a very fortunate woman because her illustrator, Arthur Howard, is the best there is in kids' books. And as such, Howard makes this book doubly worth the purchase. Howard is the illustrator of the wonderful Mr. Putter series by Cynthia Rylant.

A cute little story about Bubba meeting all his relatives including little Beau who is about the same age as Bubba, a baby.

After the fussy, kissy introductions, Bubba and Beau thoroughly enjoy their day playing in the mud, playin...more
Vivian
I absolutely love reading aloud the Bubba books. I love Bubba. I love the folks. I love the chapters, yes chapters. There are five, count them--five, chapters in the thirty pages of this hilarious story about a visit from some extended family.

Here's how the story time performer engaged the crowd by asking questions...

She opened the book to the front end papers and asked, "What color is that?" (The children love identifying colors and for those that are still learning their colors this way of b...more
Terina
This is a similar review to the one I wrote for another book in the Bubba and Beau series. Mostly because I'm not sure which book she likes better.

My kindergartner loves reading this book to me and to her little brother. She howls like Beau, narrates in a great Texas accent, and loves reading this story over and over. Any book that can spark a desire to read and to really tell a story is a 5-star book in my opinion.
Jen
The relatives are coming and Bubba's parents get everything all set for them. There is a very southern tone to the book and I'm not sure my boys really "got that" when we were reading it. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for this kind of a story today.
Mandy Hoffman
Apr 18, 2009 Mandy Hoffman rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Preschool to Second Grade
Shelves: kids-books
A redneck story for young kids. It's great! Any country living or country loving parent should read this to their kids! My girls especially loved the part where they used the bed of Earl, the pick-up, for a swimming pool!
Jenna
This book would be great for a read a loud. Adding a southern dialect would enhance the feeling of the story. I would use this book in a discussion on how we all speak different in the United States.
Cheryl in CC NV
"Sister, it was better than a trip to Graceland." Ok, maybe this isn't the most politically correct book ever. But it's funny and authentic, so enjoy!
Amy
Loved that they used Earl as a swimming pool! Seriously laughed out loud while reading this one with my best southern drawl!
Linda
Lot of examples of illiteration and great Texan dialect. A fun read around the holidays when the relatives are visiting!
Kelly Dolphin
Love the southern charm in these stories! My 6 year old loves them and makes very real sounding noises for the dog and baby!
Tricia
steve read it since his bubba voice is better than mine. said it was cute. aren't all the bubba books?
Carol Royce Owen
A great read aloud for younger readers. But be sure to get that southern twang in there!
Kelly
I thought this book was simple, and sweet. It reminded me of my son.
Judy Desetti
Would be a fun read read aloud, complete with Southern accents.
Flora
Aug 13, 2007 Flora rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Beatrix, Katie, Jason, Brian
Sister, Bubba and Beau books are better than a trip to Graceland!
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Nov 14, 2013
Angie
Angie added it
Sep 06, 2013
Jess L
Jess L added it
Aug 01, 2013
Dana Zak
Dana Zak marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2013
Angie
Angie added it
Jul 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Lives in College Station, TX with husband Ken and four adorable cats.

Two sons, both musicians.

Serves on the faculty at Vermont College of Fine Arts in the MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults Program.
More about Kathi Appelt...
The Underneath Keeper The True Blue Scouts of Sugar Man Swamp Down Cut Shin Creek: The Pack Horse Librarians of Kentucky Kissing Tennessee: and Other Stories from the Stardust Dance