Start by marking “Bubba and Beau Meet the Relatives” as Want to Read:
Bubba and Beau Meet the Relatives

Bubba and Beau Meet the Relatives

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  17 reviews
It's hugs and kisses and froufrou galore when Granddaddy Bubba, Grandma Ruby, Aunt Sapphire, Cousin Arlene, and her dog, Bitsy, arrive in Bubbaville. But Bubba and Beau are NOT enjoying the party. That is, until they round up Arlene and Bitsy and head for their favorite squishy, squashy, muddy spot in the garden where, Sister, the fun finally begins.

Not since the cows came
Published April 1st 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Bubba and Beau Meet the Relatives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bubba and Beau Meet the Relatives

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtryThe Time It Never Rained by Elmer KeltonThe Road by Cormac McCarthyMolly Ivins Can't Say That, Can She? by Molly IvinsThe Last Picture Show by Larry McMurtry
Texas Authors
328th out of 335 books — 143 voters
Blue on Blue by Dianne WhiteZ Is for Moose by Kelly BinghamGrandfather Gandhi by Arun GandhiInfinity and Me by Kate HosfordLast Stop on Market Street by Matt de la Pena
VCFA Picture Books
71st out of 167 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

The author, Kathi Appelt, is a very fortunate woman because her illustrator, Arthur Howard, is the best there is in kids' books. And as such, Howard makes this book doubly worth the purchase. Howard is the illustrator of the wonderful Mr. Putter series by Cynthia Rylant.

A cute little story about Bubba meeting all his relatives including little Beau who is about the same age as Bubba, a baby.

After the fussy, kissy introductions, Bubba and Beau thoroughly enjoy their day playing in the mud, playin
I absolutely love reading aloud the Bubba books. I love Bubba. I love the folks. I love the chapters, yes chapters. There are five, count them--five, chapters in the thirty pages of this hilarious story about a visit from some extended family.

Here's how the story time performer engaged the crowd by asking questions...

She opened the book to the front end papers and asked, "What color is that?" (The children love identifying colors and for those that are still learning their colors this way of b
Elizabeth Smith
Appelt, Kathi. Bubba and Beau Meet the Relatives. Illus. Arthur Howard. New York: New York, 2004. Print. Hospitality, mud, dogs, ages 2-5. In Bubba and Beau Meet the Relatives Bubba’s family is getting ready for family to come into town and meet baby Bubba. During the visit Bubba and his cousin wonder off to find a mud puddle with their pet dogs. When the family found the two babies they decided the best way to clean up is making a swimming pool in the back of a pick-up truck. I thought the plot ...more
This was a very cute book. Don't let the animation style put you off.
Texan drawl throughout. Read at BU's Moody Library.
This is a similar review to the one I wrote for another book in the Bubba and Beau series. Mostly because I'm not sure which book she likes better.

My kindergartner loves reading this book to me and to her little brother. She howls like Beau, narrates in a great Texas accent, and loves reading this story over and over. Any book that can spark a desire to read and to really tell a story is a 5-star book in my opinion.
The relatives are coming and Bubba's parents get everything all set for them. There is a very southern tone to the book and I'm not sure my boys really "got that" when we were reading it. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for this kind of a story today.
Mandy J. Hoffman
Apr 18, 2009 Mandy J. Hoffman rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Preschool to Second Grade
Shelves: kids-books
A redneck story for young kids. It's great! Any country living or country loving parent should read this to their kids! My girls especially loved the part where they used the bed of Earl, the pick-up, for a swimming pool!
This book would be great for a read a loud. Adding a southern dialect would enhance the feeling of the story. I would use this book in a discussion on how we all speak different in the United States.
Loved that they used Earl as a swimming pool! Seriously laughed out loud while reading this one with my best southern drawl!
Lot of examples of illiteration and great Texan dialect. A fun read around the holidays when the relatives are visiting!
Kelly Dolphin
Love the southern charm in these stories! My 6 year old loves them and makes very real sounding noises for the dog and baby!
steve read it since his bubba voice is better than mine. said it was cute. aren't all the bubba books?
Carol Royce Owen
A great read aloud for younger readers. But be sure to get that southern twang in there!
I thought this book was simple, and sweet. It reminded me of my son.
Judy Desetti
Would be a fun read read aloud, complete with Southern accents.
Aug 13, 2007 Flora rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Beatrix, Katie, Jason, Brian
Sister, Bubba and Beau books are better than a trip to Graceland!
Amelia added it
Aug 08, 2015
Aiyah marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Jack B
Jack B marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Elisa marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Tammy added it
Jan 27, 2015
Tara marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Lives in College Station, TX with husband Ken and four adorable cats.

Two sons, both musicians.

Serves on the faculty at Vermont College of Fine Arts in the MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults Program.
More about Kathi Appelt...