Start by marking “Choral Society” as Want to Read:
Choral Society

Choral Society

When Lucy and Rebecca agree to help the shy Joanna overcome stagefright during their choral class, an unlikely friendship develops among the three. And soon enough, the lessons turn to matters of the heart. Lucy has been recently widowed and now faces the loss of her “old-fashioned” food column. Rebecca is a flighty single mother with a voracious sexual appetite, and Joann ...more
Published April 28th 2009 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Choral Society, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Choral Society

Camie
Feb 27, 2015 Camie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three very different women (over age 50 ) meet when they decide to join a community choir. Lucy is a recent widow and a food journalist, Joanna is a divorced high powered business executive , and Rebecca is the ever youth chasing, flirtatious one who collects husbands. Long story short , after they all come to forks in the road of their lives, they decide to restore a run down hotel on the Cornish Coast together and run it as a spa using their individual talents. A light easy read (chick lit for ...more
Jean
Apr 05, 2012 Jean rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book is entitled "Choral Society". This book is formulaic. Three women meet in a choral group. At the beginning of the book each woman has a short-coming. By the end of the book they have resolved their problems in one way or another.

As a musician who has conducted several choirs in my career I thought this book would be of interest to me. Admittedly the three main characters meet because they join a choral group, but the book deals with their separate lives and we hardly hear much about th
Kathleen
Aug 30, 2009 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-uk-etc-thing
This novel was a true surprise to me. Written by an author previously noted for cook books, "Choral Society" introduces four women, all strangers, who resolve issues confronting them in midlife through their unexpected decision to join a singing group. The women are interesting, far from saintly, and their actions were often courageous, sometimes disappointing but true to their beliefs. The novel is well written and posed some interesting questions and reflections to me.
Joanne
Aug 15, 2009 Joanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book because I liked the way the author developed all the characters. However, I really didn't identify with them and, although I liked one of them, the other two didn't appeal to me. The story was nice and did show that women can do things to change their lives, even if they are in their 50s. Part of the problem for me may have been
Roz
Apr 11, 2012 Roz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club

It's an easy read but I have read far better 'chic lit' than this. I can't say it really held my interest and certainly wasn't a page turner. It was all just a bit too dull and frankly unbelievable, how many people can afford to buy a Cornish mansion on a whim and refurbish it?
Patricia
Mar 13, 2015 Patricia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: seniors-club, nook
Nice story about some age 50+ women. I liked it.
Leanne
Jun 20, 2017 Leanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read about three 50+ women with interesting personalities.
Roberta
Mar 04, 2017 Roberta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An uplifting and easy to read novel about how three very different women become friends thanks to music.
Since I am part of the "mature" set, I could relate to the concerns of these characters. I also love to sing and have been singing with choirs and groups for a very long time. Music touched these women and helped form bonds.
LindyLouMac
Prue Leith is a name you probably associate with cookery rather than fiction although it is now many years since she gave up that career to become a novelist. I have read three of Prue Leiths earlier fiction offerings starting with Leaving Patrick , in 1999, Sisters in 2002, and The Gardener in 2008 by which time I was writing short reviews on Bookcrossing. Her novels are not great literature but they are enjoyable and realistic, as she draws on her own life experiences as a business woman and a ...more
P.D.R. Lindsay
Mar 01, 2013 P.D.R. Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pleasant-reads
This is a polished tale from an experienced and thoughtful writer. Humourous in its own way, because readers can laugh gently at themselves as they laugh at the antics, thoughts and habits of the three main characters, it also asks the reader think as well as laugh.
Rebecca, Lucy and Joanna join a choral society for three different reasons and are thrown together by their choral master to help Joanna relax enough to be able to sing out loud. Lucy is sinking into depression, she’s a newly bereav
Pauline Halse
Feel good novel by best selling food writer, who can also write a pretty good novel. No bad dreams from this one and just the right side of Mills & Boon. A sweet tale of three women – Rebecca (hi maintenance glam); Lucy (WI, cook, writer); Joanna (successful business woman). All the stereotypes, but well done. Prue Leith is a good writer and intelligent, so while things progress in a very organised way, one never loses credibility. When finished (and I did and it was easy and enjoyable) one ...more
Jane
Sep 14, 2011 Jane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was left by an Australian guest who recommended it as a light read and this is exactly what it was and what I needed at the time, having just read The Journeyer by Gary Jennings. The plot was fairly predictable and the central characters an unlikely trio. At times I felt that the story line was lacking credibility and the characters lacked depth. Time seemed to travel at lighting speed throughout the story with leaps and bounds which meant the author didn't give either the story or the ...more
Gerda
Jan 19, 2015 Gerda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chick lit for the over 50s. It was OK, funny in some parts, a bit silly in other parts. I didn't really felt drawn to any of the women although I didn't mind Lucy. Joanna was far to high flying for my taste and Rebecca was a stereotype for women who don't want to grow up.
None of these single women gave me the idea they were independent. They all still seemed to need the company of men around them, especially Rebecca who sees men as a meal ticket.
But it was a light read and as such quite enjoyab
Heather
Jul 08, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story! It was refreshing to have characters who weren't "just out of their teens" or in the yummy brigade of their 30's!
It took me a little while to get to know the characters and occasionally I had to remind myself who was who, but overall they were beleivable women, and one of them (Rebecca) did remind me of my mum in some places!

As a book I downloaded on a bit of a whim, I'm glad I did and I would not hesitate to read again or reccomend it to a friend to read.
Christi Tulenko

Choral Society is the story of three very different, fifty-something women who meet when they join a choir. As different as they are, they become friends, and buy a B&B together .

A bit to much of a formulaic/predictable plot for my liking, but a nice change of pace to read a Chick lit for women over 50.

Tasneem
Apr 04, 2012 Tasneem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. The characters are all women I can identify with. Their friendship makes sense. And I love the fact that the women are not defined only through their men, that they aren't all looking finally for the ring on their finger and the title of wife.

A really good book, very English in many ways.
Leanne Hunt
Aug 04, 2012 Leanne Hunt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
The story of three fifty-something women who meet at a singing class, this book proved a light and entertaining read, just the thing to keep me preoccupied on the treadmill and rekindle my yearning to visit Cornwall. It is full of warmth and depicts friendship between women well. I recommend it for a feel-good read when winter has you feeling low.
Melissa
Story of 3 mid-50's women who join a chorus and then buy a B&B together. Widow, business woman and divorce/. The behavior of the divorced woman seemed a bit much for someone her age and I guarantee that a mid-50's woman who hasn't had plastic surgery is not going to excite a bunch of 20 year old guys when she takes her swimsuit top off! Laugh and swim away more likely.
Julie
Oct 09, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a holiday read for me, and I really enjoyed it. It's about three very different women who become firm friends after they meet at a choir class. Lucy, Rebecca and Joanna are all slightly reluctant to join this class but all have reasons for being there, in that it fills a gap in each of their lives but goes on to change all of them.
Lesley
Mar 20, 2014 Lesley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A very light read. Formulaic and predictable. I read somewhere that Pru Leith was described as Sophie Kinsella for grown ups. I'm not sure about that. Although the three main characters are in their late 40's/50's at least one of them doesn't seem grown up at all. I found it a bit messy in construction. Not a bad read but not a great one.
The Reading Cove Book Club ❦
195th Cove Pick: CHORAL SOCIETY by Prue Leith
Chosen By: Sally
Trivia Winner - Roberta

~COVE OPINION: C+, Above average story

We discuss the book in the 75th episode of our Cove Podcast - listen in and share your thoughts!
Apr 05, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the book. It was an easy read with a gentle story line and one that actually had me reading when I would otherwise be surfing of an evening or downtime at weekends. Not read at night or at the weekend for ages normally happens just on the commute.
Janet Bramley
I wouldn't have classed this as chic-lit, more romantic fiction. Easy read, fairly predictable. But I enjoyed it.
Alison Smith
Chick-lit for grown-ups; very readable.
Jessie
Jun 23, 2009 Jessie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i really enjoyed this book - from the characters to the well-described locations. and the food! yum!
Kate
May 18, 2015 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually I haven't finished - it got lost during our chaotic house move. If it turns up I will definitely finish it!
Júlia Zaharia
It was a good book to chill out and read in traffic jams. Nothing extra, though.
Teresa
Apr 21, 2015 Teresa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 stars.
Dianna
Apr 23, 2015 Dianna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
50's chick lit. Cute.
Yolanda
May 22, 2016 Yolanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Way too long, disconnected. No plot but maybe that was the point?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The History of Lucy's Love Life in Ten and a Half Chapters
  • For Tibet, with Love: A Beginner's Guide to Changing the World
  • The Birdcage
  • Dackelblick (Dackel Herkules, #1)
  • The Saturday Supper Club
  • Life After Forty (Christine, #1)
  • Secret Sister
  • Holy Smoke
  • The Happiness Equation: The Surprising Economics of Our Most Valuable Asset
  • Choose Me
  • Mummydaddy
  • Gang of Four
  • Keeping Up With the Germans: A History of Anglo-German Encounters
  • Folly
  • Sonjas sista vilja (Sonja, #1)
  • The Thing About Men