Love Finds You in Lahaina Hawaii

Love Finds You in Lahaina Hawaii (Love Finds You)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  238 ratings  ·  49 reviews
In 1890, Lahaina is in the midst of unrest. Kaiulani, Crown Princess of the Kingdom of Hawaii, has recently become known throughout the world for her intelligence, beauty and determination to restore her nation?'s monarchy. When a Scottish missionary lands on the shores of Lahaina, he finds himself drawn into a revolt by those desirous of annexing the islands to the United...more
Published June 1st 2010 by Summerside Press (first published 2010)

Heather
The story of Princess Kaiulani of Hawaii. Someone gave me this book a while ago and it has been sitting by my bed for months.....and now I know why. Besides being extremely cheesy it is not even historically accurate!
Argghhhh!
Readnponder
I have enjoyed many books by Bodie Thoene over the years. This one was a disappointment. A fictionalized account of the last years of the Hawaiian monarchy before America took it over as a territory.

It followed the typical romance formula: two young men, one traditional and one naughty and dashing, which will she choose.

This is part of a larger series: "Love finds you in ..." Fill in the name of each of the 50 states. I will not be reading any of the other 49 books.
A.J. Llewellyn
Poorly researched and deeply offensive. This author invents stuff when the truth is far more spellbinding. She also wants us to believe that young Princess Kaiulani had a torrid shipboard romance en route to her school in England from Hawaii. She was 12 at the time.
I highly doubt it.
So Theone does what no author should do - she changes the age of a real person to accommodate her dopey romance. Lame!
Cassandra
I have not read any of the "Love Finds You..." books but this was on the New Book Shelf at the library and was written by a Thoene. I love the Thoene's works and have read almost all of them.

3.5 stars - I don't know much about Princess Kaiulani but I've seen her name pop up a few times recently. I believe they are releasing a movie about her as well. As usual, the author excels at the attention to detail and setting. Reading any of the Thoene's books, I feel like I am there, watching from the s...more
Clare
Forth from her land to mine she goes,
The island maid, the island rose,
Light of heart and bright of face:
The daughter of a double race.

Her islands here, in Southern sun,
Shall mourn their Kaiulani gone,
And I, in her dear banyan shade,
Look vainly for my little maid.

But our Scots islands far away
Shall glitter with unwonted day,
And cast for once their tempests by
To smile in Kaiulani's eye.

- Robert Louis Stevenson written to Princess Kaiulani to mark her journey to Britain.

Love finds you in Lahaina,...more
Beverly Frisby
Jul 29, 2011 Beverly Frisby rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
My husband and I spent a wonderful 10 days in Hawaii during January of 2009 and the memories of the beauty of the land, and the history of the Hawaiian people is still very vivid to me. I believe seeing the cover of “Love Finds You In Lahaina, Hawaii” drew me to the book more than anything. I had not read anything prior of Bodie Thoene, so I couldn’t say it was the author’s name. We spent a large amount of our vacation in Lahaina, but it was the cover art that completely captured my attention an...more
Pamela Hubbard
I just love Bodie Thoene's books. With each one that I read, I fall more in love with the characters an the storyline! It also helped that this book was partially set in one of my favourite places...Hawaii! The story is set in two time periods. First, in 1973, Sandi is working on her graduate degree at UCLA and her assignment is to research the history of Hawaii. She finds herself in Lahaina, talking to the oldest woman in Hawaii. Sandi is also dealing with the fact that it has been 4.5 years si...more
Michelle
More like 3.5 stars...

This "love finds you" title started out pretty slow, so I set it down for several days. It started picking up pace about a third of the way through the book so I kept reading. The more I read, the more I enjoyed it. There were two men trying to win the Princess's heart, which always makes for an interesting story. The fall of her kingdom was disheartening, but historically accurate. She loved her people and wanted to serve them, but the corrupted descendants of former missi...more
Loraine
Bodie Thoene is an author par excellence! I have read many of the historical fiction books she has co-authored with her husband Brock. Their research is always solid and their story lines are always compelling. If I could have given this book a higher than 5 score, I would have. With a double theme, the story revolves around Sandi's research of the last of the Hawaiian royalty through an interview with 101 year old Hannah the companion of Kaiulani the last royal princess and heir to the Hawaiian...more
Rachelle
Michelle Wegner
I've read tons of Bodie Thoene's books, and have whipped through each series, hardly being able to wait to read the next one. This one, however, was a disappointment. I felt the story was very disjointed and the romantic story lines forced.

I did, however enjoy reading about Hawaii, and this book made me want to dive more deeply into its true history.
Georgia Herod
I first encountered Brock and Bodie Thoene (Tay-nee) thirty years ago when I read all of the Zion novels about Israel. While Brock does the research, Bodie works on plot, character, and theme. I've been fascinated also by the fact that Bodie is dyslexic and has not read her own work. What an outstanding team--and family, because her children write also.

This novel is one of the "Love Finds You" series--titled after American towns with unusual names. Each story is based on a compelling history or...more
Amber Stokes
This is such a powerful, moving book, that I'm sure my words here will not be able to express how much I loved it! The story is an amazing work of historical fiction, beautifully weaving together fact and imagination. And I was absolutely drawn in by the imagery! The author's writing style is delightful.

Both of the plot lines--the past (late 1800s) and the present (1973)--intrigued me and kept me reading to find out more. I feel like I have done a lot of traveling through this book, from Hawaii...more
Susan
For a fictional book about the life of Princess Kaiulani of Hawaii I thought this was very well done. I have read a few that were so bad I couldn't finish them. It starts out with the story of Sandi, who has come to Hawaii to interview Hannah who had been a good friend of the Princess. She has been in kind of a limbo as her husband has been missing in Vietnam for almost five years. She has come to Lahaina for a school project. I loved the way that she is absorbed into the Hawaiian community and...more
Robin Ryan
Since visiting Hawaii I have had an avid interest in the history of our 50th state. I have been reading every historical fiction book about Hawaii I can get my hands on. I was thrilled when I discovered that my favorite authors, Brock and Bodie Thoene, had actually written a book on this topic. This is such a great writing husband/wife duo - he does the research and she does the writing.

My thoughts:

I think it is unfortunate that the book is titled what it is. There is no way I would pick up th...more
Elizabeth
Loved, loved, loved this very well written and romantic book. Set mostly on Maui, we identify with Princess Kaiulani of the Hawaiian royalty who in the late 1800s travels to England to be educated and returns to her homeland where the annexation by the U.S. has sadly occurred. The story running simultaneously is about a young woman named Sandi who is on Maui in the 1970s researching the Princess and also coming to terms with her own life. Both stories are woven together in a very interesting way...more
Monica
I love a good historical novel and you can always count on the Thoene's to deliver that. I've read many historical novels about Lahaina, but never knew what happened to the monarchy of Hawaii. I enjoyed learning that part of the history while recognizing volcano names and other landmarks of a state I've never visited! (It's on the "Someday" list)

The book had a quick pace with two questions you wanted to find the answers to. First, is Sandi's husband alive and what happened to Princes Kaiulani?...more
Marie Hviding
Raised in Hawaii, I approach books with Hawaiian settings with a great deal of trepidation. It is so easy to get it wrong, but like a moth to the flame, I can never resist the temptation, hoping that this one gets it right. Thoene tells the story of Kaiulani's growth from young girl to beloved princess with dignity and love. Her modern day partner story is sweetly sentimental without being cloying. The author's love of the islands is clearly communicated and illuminates Kaiulani's dedication to...more
Darlene
I just love Bodie's writing. When you think there is no way she can wrap things up, she does and everything comes together perfectly. There is the perfect amount of romance without a bunch of mush.
Rebecca Blair
It was fun to read this book while we were vacationing on Maui. Exploring the places mentioned in the book. It's an OK read, but not Bodie Thoene's best effort. I enjoyed her other series more.
Holly
Barbara Carter
Wow! Another one hit out of the park by Bodie! Never liked history til I started reading it Phillips & Thoene style! A must read!!!
Nae
What an enjoyable read this was. All I really know of Hawaii is from James Mitchner's book so it was nice to learn a bit more of this time period in the island's history and just what rotten things were done to these people by so-called "good" American businessmen. I will certainly be looking for some more of this author's work to read now.
Barbara
This historical fiction account of the life of Princess Kaiulani of Hawaii is very well done. The emotions of the Princess and her sister and friend are felt distinctly as they receive news from Hawaii as they attend school in England. The interspersed story of Sandi, who is interviewing the oldest woman in Hawaii about it's history, is good, but I enjoyed the historical one much better. I am glad I read this, and the ending was one that causes you to think, "What if that really did happen?"
Tara Bentley
I purchased this book in Lahaina to read on the flight home... after spending two weeks in beautiful Maui, this was a fun and light read for the LONG journey. As many have pointed out, this book is pure fiction. It is an enjoyable enough read but I personally prefer my historical fiction to remain a bit more true to the facts. The only reason I can even give it 4 stars is just because of the wonderful images of Hawaii that are just so hard to resist.
Nicole
I enjoyed the Zion Covenant series by this author and her husband. Thought I'd give this one a try since I was looking for something clean and entertaining. Good "fluff," interesting, historical setting. Good story concept. The religious parts were a little over the top for me and I just wasn't riveted. Read half of it and skimmed the rest so I could see how it all turned out. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for it.
Michelle
I was a little disappointed because most of Bodie Thoene's books begin a series along the theme; this is a stand-alone novel in a "Love Finds You In..." romance series based upon interesting locale. Thoene's gift for conveying atmosphere is intact. Visits to Lahaina contain some of my warmest memories; it was a pleasure to re-visit familiar streets, and buildings, as well as speculate on one of Maui's whispered mysteries.
Siobhan Parker
Oct 04, 2013 Siobhan Parker rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Love Finds You... fans
A Quickie Review

The Thoenes are among my favorite authors, and, though this one doesn't disappoint, it isn't quite as good as some of their other works. The century-hopping chronology didn't exactly work for me, though the core story itself was enjoyable. Fans of the Love Finds You... series already know what to expect from these novels, and that's what they'll get.

Score: 3.5/5
Emily
Very interesting "what if?" story. I enjoyed the history aspect of it more than the "current" love story. The Thoenes write books that really inspire creative thinking, and this one was no exception. Personally, I've always been fascinated by Liliuokalani and Kaiulani, more so by Kaiulani, actually. Definitely a "re-read."
Kel
This story segues back and forth between the mid-1970's and colonial Hawaii, just before the annexing of Hawaii by the US. Sandi is waiting to hear from her MIA husband and researching Hawaiian history. She meets the "oldest woman in Hawaii" and hears her memories of Princess Kaiulani. A very moving story.
  • Love Finds You in Revenge, Ohio
  • Love Finds You in Golden New Mexico
  • Love Finds You in Silver City, Idaho
  • Love Finds You in Bethlehem, New Hampshire
  • Love Finds You in Tombstone, Arizona
  • Love Finds You in Liberty, Indiana (merge)
  • Love Finds You in Romeo, Colorado
  • Love Finds You in Maiden, North Carolina
  • Love Finds You in Deadwood, South Dakota
  • Love Finds You in Hershey, Pennsylvania
  • Love Finds You in Pendleton, Oregon
BODIE AND BROCK THOENE (pronounced Tay-nee) have written over 45 works of historical fiction. These best sellers have sold more than 10 million copies and won eight ECPA Gold Medallion Awards.

Bodie began her writing career as a teen journalist for her local newspaper. Eventually her byline appeared in prestigious periodicals such as U.S. News and World Report, The American West, and The Saturday E...more
More about Bodie Thoene...
Vienna Prelude (Zion Covenant, #1) Munich Signature (Zion Covenant, #3) Prague Counterpoint (Zion Covenant, #2) Jerusalem Interlude (Zion Covenant, #4) Danzig Passage (Zion Covenant, #5)