Start by marking “Letters To A Soldier” as Want to Read:
Letters To A Soldier

Letters To A Soldier

Mrs. Julie Hutt’s fourth-grade class in Roslyn, New York, writes to a soldier in Iraq to thank him for his service and to find out what it’s like to be a U.S. solider: What is a soldier’s job exactly? How do soldiers spend their spare time? Don’t they miss home? The children’s letters were answered by First Lieutenant David Falvey, a twenty-five-year-old military police ...more
Published October 20th 2009 by Two Lions (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Letters To A Soldier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters To A Soldier

Melissa Dwyer
Jun 02, 2015 Melissa Dwyer rated it really liked it
Originally rated G+ by Shelly Kraus
First Lieutenant David Falvey responds to a fourth grades' letter asking questions about the war, what its like to be a soldier, and his likes and dislike. Falvey explains our involvement in the war in Iraq, his duties as a soldier in a way that students can understand. The book is set up in 2 page spreads, one side shows the letter form the student, the other side show Falvey's response, along with any approriate photos. His responses to the students seem to b
Renee Wallace
Sep 24, 2009 Renee Wallace rated it it was amazing
If this book does not move you... you need professional help. I got goosebumps over and over, had to stop and wipe my eyes a few times, and then went back and read it all over again, so I did not miss a thing.

God bless you, David, and thank you for your service, and for the inestimable service you did by answering these letters, and allowing them to be published. Our children need this book. *I* needed this book.

Ms. Hutt, you are one admirable educator. Blessings to you, too, for this project.
Kelly
Jan 07, 2011 Kelly rated it it was amazing
This book is an eye-opening look at what life is really like for soldiers serving in Iraq. This book presents letters from fourth grade students and real, candid answers given by First Lieutenant David Falvey. I think this book will make what is going on in Iraq and even Afghanistan more real to students and teachers. I also think this book will encourage other students to begin writing letters to the brave men and women serving in our country's military.
Karen Arendt
What a great collection of stories. The questions 4th graders can ask! And how well, and tactfully David Falvey answered the students! A great book to share with 4th and 5th graders to increase awareness of the conflict in Iraq.
Ofilia
Jul 20, 2010 Ofilia rated it liked it
This was not what I expected. The letters are so genuine and pure kid questions meaning very stream of consciousness. It makes for entertaining reading. Stays away from any controversy, this is truly just a soldier answering 4th grader questions as best he can.
Gavin Mousel
Sep 03, 2014 Gavin Mousel rated it really liked it
i thence it was a good good book and i like when they reads
the kid reads lead the laed and the soldier rot then bath

Christina Maiello
Christina Maiello rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2011
Rozzie Obando
Rozzie Obando rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2012
Snow
Snow rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2011
Debra
Debra rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2010
Jessica Kohout
Jessica Kohout rated it it was ok
Jul 31, 2011
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2012
Rachel Day
Rachel Day rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2014
Krista
Krista rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2010
Natalie
Natalie rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2010
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2010
Jennifer Stanley
Jennifer Stanley rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2011
Tfranz
Tfranz rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2015
Irasema
Irasema rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2010
Marti
Marti rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2011
Erica
Erica rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2010
Katie Scherrer
Katie Scherrer marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2009
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2009
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2009
Juliej
Juliej marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2010
Tyler
Tyler added it
May 20, 2012
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2012
E
E added it
Oct 29, 2014
Elisa
Elisa marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Jenn
Jenn added it
Dec 11, 2014
Gabriel
Gabriel marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Lindsay Kenneally
Lindsay Kenneally marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Alda Álvarez
Alda Álvarez marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2016