Start by marking “Bone and Jewel Creatures” as Want to Read:
Bone and Jewel Creatures

Bone and Jewel Creatures (Bone and Jewel Creatures)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Dark magic is afoot in the City of Jackals...

Eighty years Bijou the Artificer has been a Wizard of Messaline, building her servants from precious scraps, living with the memory of a great love that betrayed her. She is ready to rest.

But now her former apprentice, Brazen the Enchanter, has brought her a speechless feral child poisoned by a sorcerous infection. Now, Messalin
Published March 1st 2010 by Subterranean Press

To ask other readers questions about Bone and Jewel Creatures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bone and Jewel Creatures

Carol.
Text with pictures at my blog: http://clsiewert.wordpress.com/2014/1...

A jewel of a novella.

“Bijou’s fingers angled from her palms as if someone had bent them aside under great heat and pressure. She shuffled about her cavernous, shadowed workshop in parody of a bride’s hesitation step. Eighty years a Wizard of Messaline–the city of jackals, the empire of markets–had left their wear.“

How often do you find an elderly, arthritic heroine in fantasy? From the first sentence, Bear had my attention. H
Laurel
Aug 14, 2012 Laurel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
One of the reasons I love novellas, is that authors will often be a little experimental, more daring. In one sitting, you can be drawn into a well crafted and imaginative piece, that offers something a novel cannot. It's almost as if novellas are our adult fairy tales - they use a strange and simple story to give a moral lesson, like an old fable.

I realize that my description is vague. I do not wish to spoil the story. Rather, to express my appreciation of a good old adventure tale, with genuin
Joseph
A short novel set in the world of Bear's Eternal Sky trilogy, although essentially unrelated. In the city of Messaline, the sorcerer Bijou, whose specialty is creating intricate animated constructs of bone & jewel, takes in a street orphan, a feral girl sent to her as the opening gambit in a war between wizards. Intricate and delicate and beautifully written.
heidi
The problem with Elizabeth Bear's writing is that she sets herself a really high bar. I have nothing to fault in the execution or construction of this story, just that it didn't tug at my heartstrings or explode my mind.

The best part of the book was the world, and the magical creations that exist in it, the bone and jewel creatures of the title. Those shimmer against the dusty city. The least compelling part is probably the plot, which hits predictable emotional notes. It's possible I actually y
Kae Cheatham
Stories about wizards and sorcery aren't usually my preference; the interesting title and cover compelled me to take this from my public library shelf.
I was not sorry. Elizabeth Bear's story about a wizardry power struggle was--enchanting :-)

Protagonist Bijou, is an artificer who creates and animates creatures from bone, gem and other inanimate objects. She is old, and her thoughts and struggles with her infirmities are well told. The reader will also sense she has a "past." This aspect of myste
Stefan
In Bone and Jewel Creatures, a beautiful new novella by Elizabeth Bear, Bijou the Artificer creates her own servants and companions by animating bones. When her former apprentice, Brazen the Enchanter, brings her a feral, mute child, she is presented with the challenge of fixing its misshapen arm... which is also infected by a mysterious disease that soon turns out be the first sign of a sorcerous plague.

At just under 140 pages, Bone and Jewel Creatures packs a strong punch. Bijou is a fascinati
Beth
Aged wizard Bijou is living a fairly quiet life creating golems for the locals and herself (the bone and jewel creatures of the title), until her once-apprentice Brazen brings an injured feral child to her doorstep. A growing number of necrosis-plagued creatures begin arriving at her workshop after that, bringing Bijou closer to her past, and Messaline, city of jackals, closer to an uncertain future.

This writing in this novella is very pretty, polished to a shine. The golems are fascinating, won
erforscherin
(4 of 5 stars)

What a lovely discovery! I'd heard so many good things about Bear's Eternal Sky trilogy that I finally took a look at her author page on Amazon - and spotting this novella at a bargain-bin price, decided to see if I enjoyed her writing style in a shoter-form piece first.

I'm very glad I did! "Bone and Jewel Creatures" is everything a good novella should be: roomy enough to give you a feel for the universe, but self-contained enough to cover exactly as much story as it needs. Bijou a
Stef
This is another novella, but it really draws you in to the center of the story very quickly. While it can be read as a stand alone novella, I feel like that reading The Book of Iron first made a more cohesive story. Elizabeth Bear has a masterful grasp of language and knows exactly how to design a simple phrase to have the most emotional impact.

In this story a 90+ Bijou the Artificer is pitted in a last battle against her former lover Kaulas the Necromancer. With the help of Kaulas' own son and
Glennis
I've sat on this novella for a while. I tend to do that with novellas and I just wait until I want to read an entire story in one sitting but don't want to commit a lot of time to it. I'm happy to say that I can read more about this universe since it is set in the same world as the Eternal Sky series. Now this means I will have to start reading it in my spare time.

The story is set in a world of magic and the beginning of a wizard war in the city. The necromancer is making a bid for power over t
Julie
Great concept, poor execution. The characters weren't well done, in my opinion. I felt like I had to keep trying to grasp a slippery vision of who/what/how they were. The last few pages were the best part because the writing and story were laid out more clearly. The whole thing read like a concept piece for a whole book, instead of a novella. I am hoping her writing style is different in the next book I try.
Erin
This novella was terrific. The story and characters all intrigued me -- even while part of my brain stood back in admiration for how Elizabeth Bear drew me so quickly into her story. She managed to plug my emotions into the fate of her characters -- including those created from bones, jewels and the skill of her wizard Bijou.

As soon as I finished the book, I wanted to re-read it and figure out how she did it.

Elizabeth Bear is shaping up to be one of my favorite authors. Earlier this year I read
Jacqie
Another Bear novella. Another world that I'd love to spend more time in.
The plot was predictable, but the setting and main character were amazing. The bone and jewel creatures of the title are the creations of a wizard named Bijou, now at the end of her life. Her talent is to animate skeletons with the addition of metal and precious stones. Her animations include Ambrosius, with the head of a ferret and a centipede-like body made from a long spine with the ribs of cats for legs, a mirrored sloth
Abby Miller
Another winner from Subterranean Press

Wonderful descriptions, and I was totally enchanted by the setting and the mechanical creatures Bijou created from bits of bone, jewels, metal, and fabric.

What I also found enjoyable was the head-hopping that took place between Bijour, Emeraude, and even Brazen. Through the three points of view the story unfolds of this beautiful, although brutal desert city.

I only gave it four stars due to the fact that I had trouble with the plot and charactes. I was unsu
Roberta
Haunting! Elizabeth Bear's tale of an aging sorceress, her family of creations made of bones and jewels and magic, and the humans she loves is amazing. I fell in love with her creatures!!
Jenine
Memorable image of the magician's compound/workshop. An affecting ending. I will have to read this series.
Barbara
Absolute gem of a story. An enchanting bit of fantasy; it has it all--evil Necromancer--check!, aged lady wizard, locked in duel with necromancer--check!, feral child raised by jackals--check! exotic city/state--check! exquisite language--double check. The blurb gives a bare bones idea of the plot and characters, but naturally cannot begin to delve into the intricacies of the story and the characters. But as all this is packed into a novella, to say any more would result in spoilers.

Though set i
Mark
I've never read anything by Elizabeth Bear before; after this I will probably read more.

That being said this didn't have a ton of punch. The main motivation for writing it seemed not to be the plot (which is almost an afterthought), or even the main character (who is quite memorable).

Rather, most of the imagination seems to center around the setting, primarily the wizard's menagerie of the title. They have the sort of presence would probably tempt an ambitious director to use them in a movie, w
glitrbug
This is a jewel of a book. Ms. Bear creates a whole world full of well rounded characters that you learn to love. The whole idea of creating creatures from bones, wire, jewels and a bit of magic is worth the read and then there is a whole rich story about creating a family for yourself and passing down your knowledge. It that was very satisfying to me. Normally I stay away from short stories and novellas because they seem like an idea that needs to be fleshed out. This one is finely crafted and ...more
Kimi
I've decided that I'm not a big fan of Elizabeth Bear. I thought the premise of this story was excellent, but I would have liked to see it developed differently. A lot of times I wasn't quite sure why certain things were happening (which I'm finding to be a very familiar feeling in my experiences with this author) or the motivation behind some characters.

It was pleasant and short to read, but I would have preferred more detailed explanations to get a better understanding of the events.
Joy
An absolutely lovely, imaginative short book, in a city that could be old Istanbul with a touch of steampunk and magic. The plot however revolves around a wizard war between three old rivals, the evil one being a necromancer against the artificer, her marvelous intelligent, bone and jewel, animated skeleton creations and her former apprentice. The feral, jackal child is the element that pulls all three together towards the grizzly end game.
MJ
Aug 06, 2010 MJ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fan
Fantasy
Bear usually writes thick books, this is a thin little one and unusual. An elderly artificer is given a possible trainee by a former student. The girl has been abused and has a disabled arm. The artificer’s workroom is filled with amazing combo mechanical/flesh creatures and suddenly hundreds of dying animals and humans arrive on her doorstep to be helped. What’s going on?
Ryan
This felt like a short exploratory adventure and yes I would like the various back and side stories please. Some of the story is familiar - there are clearly people and animals living in a city, and some of them are magical, some follow different gods. The kind of magical is interesting, different or done in a new way that makes it feel new. Very enjoyable.
The reason I gave 'Bone and Jewel Creatures' a low rating: the book was so short! The premise and setting was exceptional, and so much more could have been done with it. Hopefully the sequels expand on the jackel-child's role, because frankly I didn't see why she had such a big part in this one.
Jeremy Preacher
Bone and Jewel Creatures is a lovely little novella - a bit short on plot, but long on inventiveness and full of delightful, mostly non-human characters. (The feral child who thinks she's a jackal is excellent.)

No complaints, and I'm looking forward to reading more from her.
Ryan Viergutz
Rough and tumble and badass.

EDIT: I finished it. Damn, that was a good book. Challenging and dense and weird. It's about a 90-year-old lady who's apprentice brings her a feral child. Not long following, her old lover (?) necromancer comes and tries to conquer her city.
Emily
I didn't like it that much; it was a bit out there even for a f\sf aficionado like me. It is notable, however, for Bear's use of the ungendered child. The protagonist is always referred to without a gendered pronoun. I found this to be an noteworthy choice.
Maureen E
Has the elegant language and dreaminess of Patricia McKillip at her best. I was less caught by the characters, though, and some of the motivations and reactions at the big showdown just didn’t work for me. Still lovely, though. [Feb 2012]
A.C. Wise
Absolutely gorgeous in every way - full of lush, rich language, which made me wish it was at least twice as long. At the same time, Bear manages to pack an entire world into this slim volume, and doesn't skimp on story. Perfect.
Marissa
This is a powerful novella by Bear. While a short, quick read, the characters are interesting and well-developed, and the story is a fascinating and, at times, poignant look at the wizarding life cycle of the society.
  • The Women of Nell Gwynne's
  • Purple and Black
  • The Tempering of Men (Iskryne World, #2)
  • The Habitation of the Blessed (A Dirge for Prester John, #1)
  • All About Emily
  • Lifelode
  • The Shadowed Sun (Dreamblood, #2)
  • The Ammonite Violin & Others
  • Wheel of the Infinite
  • Phantazein
  • Power and Majesty (Creature Court, #1)
  • Rituals (Rhapsody of Blood, #1)
  • Leviathan Wept and Other Stories
  • The Bone Palace (The Necromancer Chronicles, #2)
  • Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy 2 (Otherworld Stories, #8.1; The Chronicles of the Black Company 0.3)
  • Sleight of Hand
  • The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction: Sixtieth Anniversary Anthology
  • The Gaslight Dogs (Middle Light, #1)
Elizabeth Bear was born on the same day as Frodo and Bilbo Baggins, but in a different year. This, coupled with a childhood tendency to read the dictionary for fun, led her inevitably to penury, intransigence, the mispronunciation of common English words, and the writing of speculative fiction.

She lives in Massachusetts with a Giant Ridiculous Dog. Her partner, acclaimed fantasy author Scott Lynch
More about Elizabeth Bear...
Range of Ghosts (Eternal Sky, #1) Hammered (Jenny Casey, #1) Dust (Jacob's Ladder, #1) New Amsterdam (New Amsterdam, #1) Blood and Iron (Promethean Age, #1)