Chasing Degas

Chasing Degas

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Monsieur Degas likes to paint the students while they practice in ballet class—they’ve inspired many of his beautiful paintings. But one day he mistakenly leaves his bag of paints in the dance studio and instead takes a young ballerina’s bag, which contains her new tutu for the evening’s recital! And so the ballerina begins a great chase to find Degas before her big night....more
Published October 1st 2009 by Harry N. Abrams (first published 2009)

Tracy Holland
A beautifully, impressionistically illustrated story of a young ballerina on a search to find Degas so that she can return his art bag. As the young girl searches the streets of Paris for Degas, she runs into several impressionistic artists: Renoir, Money, Cassatt., and learns about art along the way.

Shannon K
Oct 05, 2009 Shannon K added it
Shelves: pbgs-picture
This book is an all around artistic masterpiece. The author/illustrated was inspired to create this story by Edgar Degas’s painting L'etoile. All through out the pages of this book are images that were inspired by famous paintings by artist such as Monet, Renoir, Caillebotte, and Cassatt. The back pages in this book explain how she recreated these paintings and worked them into her book, these pages were really very interesting to me. In my opinion the story line in this book is just ok, but the...more
Ashley
Linda
As the little girls runs all around the Opera House district looking for Degas she passes through the scenes of a number of famous impressionist paintings as they are paintd.

Not heavy-handed or long in the story making it accessible for younger readers (5+); leaving the artistic notes etc for the back for further discussion. Which makes it a more enjoyable read for children I think than Linnea in Monet's Garden.
Jeannine
Charming and imaginative premise: A young ballerina finds that Degas (who has been painting the ballerinas) has mistakenly taken her bag with her tutu in it, and left his paints behind. Our heroine dashes through the streets of Paris, encountering many famous impressionist painters painting their most famous works, trying to find Degas and get her tutu back before an important performance.

Beautiful illustrations.

A delight for readers of all ages.
Tanya W
This is a darling book in which a young ballerina runs through the streets of Paris trying to find Degas after her ballet bag gets switched with his paint bag. On the way she meets up with several impressionist artists of the time.

We really liked looking at the impressionist art (6 pieces) at the back of the book with a short non-ficion introduction to Impressionism. Good book for discussing art. Kids loved it.
Tara
This was a wonderful book. A little long to keep a kid's attention (for a 2 year old). I absolutely LOVED the concept of walking THROUGH art in a book. I especially liked that at the end you are shown the actual paintings that inspired the book. Very clever and well done. Story line is a little dull, but overall great job on this one.
Denise
Beautiful illustrations. Interesting introduction to impressionist artists and paintings. A bit problematic to lump them all together but possible, despite slightly different dates of paintings. Fun way to make the paintings come to life for kids though.
Joy
Chasing Degas is a lovely book that imagines a young ballerina accidentally switching bags with Degas and going on a virtual art history search for him. The story is delightful and I love that the book includes details about the paintings showcased during the chase. A sweet story.
Erin
I didn't really want to get into another sort of "Linnea in Monet's Garden" type of book since they are not always done well, but this lovely little book actually does a nice job and manages to name drop all sorts of painters.
Sandybear76
cute book about a young ballet student realizing she has Degas' bag of paints and she runs all over the city trying to find him. Along the way, she gets help from other famous painters.
Heather
A wonderful way to introduce children to famous French Impressionists and some of their famous works. The illustrations are fantastic, and the story is engaging.
Denise
I love this books! What a great way to introduce kindergarteners and young elementary students to impressionism and a few of the great artists of that era.
Teri
Great story based on real paintings painted in Paris around the same time.
Heather
Artsy. How could I NOT like this book?
Tina
"art, ballet, art history"
Camden
Charming!
Stef Rozitis
Stef Rozitis marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
Feb 24, 2014
Grace
Grace added it
Jan 23, 2014
Jennie
Jennie marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Princess Matilda My First... A Very Full Morning Tiff, Taff, and Lulu Witches and Fairies