Start by marking “Understanding the Qur'an: Themes and Styles” as Want to Read:
Understanding the Qur'an: Themes and Styles

Understanding the Qur'an: Themes and Styles

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The tenets of Islam cannot be grasped without a proper understanding of the Qur'an. In this book, Muhammad Abdel Haleem examines its recurrent themes and for the first time sets them in the context of the Qur'an's linguistic style. Haleem examines the background to the development of the surahs (chapters) and the ayahs (verses) and the construction of the Qur'an itself.
Published by I. B. Tauris (first published 1999)

Yousef M
Got through a third of the book, skimmed through the rest based on what I had read so far. Muhammad Abdel Haleem is a Professor at the prestigious SOAS so I figured this would be a good book to pick up during Ramadan to delve into the underlying message of the Qur'an (which I honestly find difficult reading as if it's any other English-language chapter book). I've always enjoyed books about Islam's spiritual message as my personal belief is the breadth of the faith cannot simply be confined to a ...more
Um Taqwa
I absolutely loved this book, I hope to write a full review soon. I gift this to non-Muslims friends with a copy of Muhammed Abdel Haleem's Quran translation. If you're interested in the Quran, read this book.
Samer Hamad
This book pinpoints a couple of interesting themes and styles in the Quran. Throughout the book, comparisons are made to the Bible in some relatively interesting ways.

There is a heavy focus on Arabic grammar throughout the Quran and it's importance. The author also compares his own translation of the Quran to many others and breaks down some of the inaccuracies in popular translations that exist today.

Overall, I enjoyed the book. It was a little dry at times, but it's not exactly easy to keep
Elizabeth
read following suras only: 1, 2, 4, 7, 10, 11, 14, 15, 20, 23, 24, 25, 27, 35, 36, 50, 51, 57, 76, 79, 85, 92, 96, 112
Husna
A good introductory work overall, but I wouldn't recommend it for someone looking for a more complex treatment of the subject. While the selection of themes is interesting, the writing gets overtly and unnecessarily apologetic at times. A broad sweep of the surface rather than an impressive and profound analysis.
Nathaniel
A very well-written overlook on the Qur'an as it is to be understood. Haleem does a good job of not just stressing but showing the uniqueness and character of the Qur'an and showing its textual relation with the Holy Bible. Excellent Islam 101 material; highly recommendable.
Zahrah Awaleh
Great book on a wide selection of topics. Good intro for anyone interested in the text, themes, rhetoric, etc.
Sreekumar
Sreekumar marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Imran
Imran marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Marita
Marita marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Halima Adaay
Halima Adaay marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Jetni Khan
Jetni Khan marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Xain Rehman
Xain Rehman marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
hame
hame marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Thomas Mirus
Thomas Mirus marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Khan Sardaraz
Khan Sardaraz marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Sabir Ahmed
Sabir Ahmed marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Golnoosh Abadian
Golnoosh Abadian marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Barera
Barera marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Lubna
Lubna marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Muhammad Benzaoui
Muhammad Benzaoui marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
M. A. S. Abdel Haleem was born in Egypt, and learned the Qur'an by heart from childhood. Educated at al-Azhar, Cairo, and Cambridge Universities, he has taught Arabic and Islamic Studies at Cambridge and London Universities since 1966, including courses in advanced translation and the Qur'an. He is now Professor of Islamic Studies at the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London ...more
More about Muhammad A.S. Abdel Haleem...
The Quran Grammatical Shift for Rhetorical Purposes - Iltifat and Related Features in the Quran Criminal Justice in Islam: Judicial Procedure in the Shari'a English-Arabic Business Dictionary Muslim World In Transition: Contributions Of The Gülen Movement: International Conference Proceedings