Start by marking “Wow! Said the Owl” as Want to Read:
Wow! Said the Owl

Wow! Said the Owl

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  896 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews
Here's the story of a curious little owl determined to see what the world looks like during the day. And what does she discover? A wow-worthy symphony of colors—from red butterflies to orange flowers, from white clouds to green leaves.

This boisterous and bright book is the perfect read-aloud to savor with curious little owls everywhere who are exploring the world of colors
Published September 15th 2009 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published June 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Wow! Said the Owl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wow! Said the Owl

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pete the Cat by Eric LitwinThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBark, George by Jules FeifferFrom Head to Toe by Eric Carle
How to rock toddler storytime
106th out of 329 books — 187 voters
How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You? by Jane Yolen1, 2, 3 to the Zoo by Eric CarleSoon by Timothy KnapmanPat the Bunny by Dorothy KunhardtHands Say Love by George Shannon
Books for Babies
23rd out of 23 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Rossy
Jan 11, 2016 Rossy rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A little owl stays awake and discovers daytime and all the amazing colors nature has. She also stays awake at nighttime and finds out that stars are the most beautiful of all things!
Cute book and great for introducing colors to kids :)
Joella www.cinjoella.com
How did I miss this one? How sad that I didn't know about this book for the past 3 years!

So one day an owl takes a long nap when she was supposed to be awake. Then she stayed up in the daytime to see what she could see. There was yellow sunshine, red butterflies, white clouds, blue sky, and all sorts of wonderful colors to look at. She even saw a rainbow. But then the biggest "WOW!" of all came when she decided that "The nighttime stars are the most beautiful of all."

I agree. Stars are the most
Nathan
Jun 18, 2016 Nathan rated it it was amazing
This is really cute and would likely work well for storytime.
Vicki Purbrick
Mar 03, 2016 Vicki Purbrick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: listofbetterment
What a great book for young children. The front cover suggests the book is about an owl with beautiful illustrations throughout the book. This is a book essentially about introducing colours and would be fantastic to use with foundation children, which I would imagine the author had in mind when writing this book.

The book is consistent with the text and one bold colour on the verso. The colours are realistic throughout the book which are inviting, bright and friendly. Both icons and symbolic il
Karissa Fankhauser
Sep 22, 2015 Karissa Fankhauser rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I absolutely LOVE Wow! Said the Owl, by Tim Hopgood. The first time I read it, I knew that I needed to buy it for my school library, as it is educational as well as fun. It is the story of the most adorable little owl that decides to sleep one night so that he can stay awake the next day and see what he can see in the daylight. The owl becomes gradually more and more amazed at the colors, for instance that the leaves on his tree are green, and that the sky is a beautiful pink just before sunrise ...more
许馨茹
这本是第一次读 里面是讲color。。。
Kristin
Jul 03, 2012 Kristin rated it really liked it
Great book for introducing colors in nature.
Olivia Reading with Danny
Aug 01, 2015 Olivia Reading with Danny rated it it was amazing
Danny's favourite.
Leonie
Dec 27, 2014 Leonie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book because I really liked the artwork. I'm like that with picture books :-)

My daughter has enjoyed this story from around 14 months of age when she started joining in with the 'wow' exclamation.

She's picked up the names of the colours along the way but doesn't match them up with the colour wheel at the back of the book as yet.

We really like this one.
Tiffany
Feb 21, 2016 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The little owl wakes up during the day instead of during the night; and she discovers a whole new world of colors. When night falls, she also discovers the beauty of stars and beyond; not able to sleep and staying awake instead. The book explores colors, with a burst of colors when the rainbow appears. A great book to splash the children with colors!
Kristy
Sep 10, 2014 Kristy rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-books
Wow Said the Owl tells the story of a young owl as it discovers the daytime for the first time. A great book for explaining colors and rainbows. The illustrations are vivid and the collage/painting technique works well for the images. It's fun to get all of the kids to yell "Wow" when the owl says "wow."

Great for pre-k storytime.
Mar 02, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it
Owl decides to stay up all day to see what she can see even though she knows owls normally sleep during the day. With each new color that's revealed owl exclaims "Wow!" and storytime attendees will quickly join her.

The text is serviceable but nothing special although the "Wow!" refrain does work well. The illustrations are the draw; they have a rough feel to them as if they're the product of collage although there's no illustration note to confirm. The colors are vibrant which is good in a colo
Erin
Nov 22, 2013 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, 2y, 2013, 3y
A little owl stays up late, and marvels at all the colors of the daytime that she has been missing in her nocturnal life. This is really a book geared towards helping kids learn colors, but I liked it because of the enthusiasm the owl shows towards all of the outdoors, greeting each sight with a "wow!" I also liked that it showed the how many colors you can experience from the same spot throughout the course of day. It talks about the "warm and wonderful pink" of a morning sky, or the white fluf ...more
Susan
Apr 10, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: storybook, 2016
A very cute book. I enjoyed Owl's enthusiasm about the day-time world around her, 'wowing' over things we might take for granted (e.g. the yellow sun). I also appreciated that the protagonist, the little Owl, was female.
Rebecca
Oct 29, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it
This is a clever colors book, but it could also be filed under "wonder" -- what's it like to see color for the first time? This little owl finds out when she stays up during the daylight for the first time. Read with excitement!!
Joanne
Jan 04, 2015 Joanne rated it it was amazing
Loved reading this to my son tonight, it's a great book to get children interested in colours. A nice little tale of a small owl who stays awake one day and is amazed at all the different colours they see during daylight.
Heidi-Marie
This will be a great story to use an add-on activity in my preschool storytime (similar to the one I use for Audrey Wood's "Deep Blue Ocean"). A simple way to review colors and what things around us may have those colors. This is a good choice for me because of all the preschoolers younger siblings who join us. Should work for all present.

9/24/14: Used in my art theme storytime. Before hand I printed off images referred to in the book and colored them in. Then had the kids see who was wearing th
Dana
Jan 16, 2016 Dana rated it it was amazing
Lovely illustrations show the day through the eyes of owl as he stays awake in the daytime and sees all the colors of leaves, butterflies and more.
Jess
Mar 23, 2011 Jess rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Preschool
Recommended to Jess by: Read last year, wanted a second Owl book
Shelves: picture-books, z_11
Owl decides she's missing out on day time. She naps then stays up all day long, wowed by the rainbow of colors.

Fun little owl book that deals with colors. "Wow said the Owl" repeats maybe 7 times, so you can have the kids "read" that line with you.

Couple of quibbles keep it from being more than three stars: 1) some pages that are meant to showcase one color include multiple ones. Kids can't tell which is supposed to be the focus. 2) A rainbow appears at the end (which is cool) but includes purp
Katy
Apr 23, 2014 Katy rated it liked it
Good for a storytime or circle time. Pretty, bright and colorful illustrations. Simple story of an owl that stays up during the day and sees the colors of day for the first time.
Kristen
Oct 06, 2012 Kristen rated it really liked it
I really like this one. The colors and illustrations are gorgeous, and I just love the idea of the story. My preschoolers weren't as impressed. It just wasn't as good as I'm Not Cute to them, and maybe they were having a bit of bird fatigue at that point. They did like the very last page where you can go over the colors featured in the book, and none of them had heard of the color indigo before, so they all learned something. I will definitely try to incorporate this in a story time again.
Noelle
May 10, 2014 Noelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
My boys adored this book around the age of 2, and still love "reading" it on their own today.
Kristina Silverbears
Apr 26, 2014 Kristina Silverbears rated it really liked it
Shelves: babies
The story is a bit simple, but I did enjoy the resolution. Great book for showcasing colors.
Ashley
Oct 17, 2013 Ashley rated it it was ok
I saw this recommended on here to me based on other books I read to my daughter. (she's 28 months old)
I believe it's likely because of our rating of Goodnight Owl by Dwell Studio which I gave 4 stars.
She didn't try and make the who who noises she made with Goodnight owl which surprised me.
She honestly started to whimper a bit as I was reading to her. Her daddy chimed it's probably because she think your putting her to bed.
I guess I wasn't to into the story and I didn't care for her reaction to t
Bonnie
Oct 21, 2014 Bonnie rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Owl decided to stay up all day when he got a glimpse of all of the colors of the day.
Ms Threlkeld
Jul 06, 2016 Ms Threlkeld rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A tad repetitive, but still a fun read for reviewing colors with little ones.
Leeann
Aug 31, 2016 Leeann rated it it was amazing
Adorable story on colors and appreciating the beauty around you.
Trish
Nov 08, 2015 Trish rated it it was amazing
Shelves: je, 2015
This is a cute book about an owl and colors. It is a great book for young children.
Michelle Wiles
Jul 15, 2014 Michelle Wiles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
A great children's book to read to your little ones.
Casandria
Mar 07, 2016 Casandria rated it really liked it
Shelves: toddler, picture
Really cute exploration of colors
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • Little Owl Lost
  • Little Owl's Night
  • Duck Sock Hop
  • Shape by Shape
Tim Hopgood is an award-winning illustrator whose work has been featured in magazines such as Esquire, GQ, and Harper’s. He lives in York, England.
More about Tim Hopgood...