Start by marking “Wow! Said the Owl” as Want to Read:
Wow! Said the Owl

Wow! Said the Owl

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  493 ratings  ·  73 reviews
Here’s the story of a curious little owl determined to see what the world looks like during the day. And what does she discover? A wow-worthy symphony of colors—from red butterflies to orange flowers, from white clouds to green leaves.

This boisterous and bright book is the perfect read-aloud to savor with curious little owls everywhere who are exploring the world of colors...more
Published September 15th 2009 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published June 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Wow! Said the Owl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wow! Said the Owl

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pete the Cat by Eric LitwinBark, George by Jules FeifferThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleFrom Head to Toe by Eric Carle
How to rock toddler storytime
131st out of 286 books — 125 voters
This is Not My Hat by Jon KlassenGoldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs by Mo WillemsSheep in a Jeep by Nancy E. ShawSeven Blind Mice by Ed YoungZen Shorts by Jon J. Muth
Best Picture Books Ever
30th out of 53 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Joella www.cinjoella.com
How did I miss this one? How sad that I didn't know about this book for the past 3 years!

So one day an owl takes a long nap when she was supposed to be awake. Then she stayed up in the daytime to see what she could see. There was yellow sunshine, red butterflies, white clouds, blue sky, and all sorts of wonderful colors to look at. She even saw a rainbow. But then the biggest "WOW!" of all came when she decided that "The nighttime stars are the most beautiful of all."

I agree. Stars are the most...more
许馨茹
这本是第一次读 里面是讲color。。。
Kristin
Great book for introducing colors in nature.
Heidi
This will be a great story to use an add-on activity in my preschool storytime (similar to the one I use for Audrey Wood's "Deep Blue Ocean"). A simple way to review colors and what things around us may have those colors. This is a good choice for me because of all the preschoolers younger siblings who join us. Should work for all present.
Kristy
Wow Said the Owl tells the story of a young owl as it discovers the daytime for the first time. A great book for explaining colors and rainbows. The illustrations are vivid and the collage/painting technique works well for the images. It's fun to get all of the kids to yell "Wow" when the owl says "wow."

Great for pre-k storytime.
Owl decides to stay up all day to see what she can see even though she knows owls normally sleep during the day. With each new color that's revealed owl exclaims "Wow!" and storytime attendees will quickly join her.

The text is serviceable but nothing special although the "Wow!" refrain does work well. The illustrations are the draw; they have a rough feel to them as if they're the product of collage although there's no illustration note to confirm. The colors are vibrant which is good in a colo...more
Erin
A little owl stays up late, and marvels at all the colors of the daytime that she has been missing in her nocturnal life. This is really a book geared towards helping kids learn colors, but I liked it because of the enthusiasm the owl shows towards all of the outdoors, greeting each sight with a "wow!" I also liked that it showed the how many colors you can experience from the same spot throughout the course of day. It talks about the "warm and wonderful pink" of a morning sky, or the white fluf...more
Jess
Mar 23, 2011 Jess rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Preschool
Recommended to Jess by: Read last year, wanted a second Owl book
Shelves: z_11, picture-books
Owl decides she's missing out on day time. She naps then stays up all day long, wowed by the rainbow of colors.

Fun little owl book that deals with colors. "Wow said the Owl" repeats maybe 7 times, so you can have the kids "read" that line with you.

Couple of quibbles keep it from being more than three stars: 1) some pages that are meant to showcase one color include multiple ones. Kids can't tell which is supposed to be the focus. 2) A rainbow appears at the end (which is cool) but includes purp...more
Katy Bennett
Good for a storytime or circle time. Pretty, bright and colorful illustrations. Simple story of an owl that stays up during the day and sees the colors of day for the first time.
Kristen
I really like this one. The colors and illustrations are gorgeous, and I just love the idea of the story. My preschoolers weren't as impressed. It just wasn't as good as I'm Not Cute to them, and maybe they were having a bit of bird fatigue at that point. They did like the very last page where you can go over the colors featured in the book, and none of them had heard of the color indigo before, so they all learned something. I will definitely try to incorporate this in a story time again.
Noelle
My boys adored this book around the age of 2, and still love "reading" it on their own today.
Kristina Silverbears
The story is a bit simple, but I did enjoy the resolution. Great book for showcasing colors.
Ashley
I saw this recommended on here to me based on other books I read to my daughter. (she's 28 months old)
I believe it's likely because of our rating of Goodnight Owl by Dwell Studio which I gave 4 stars.
She didn't try and make the who who noises she made with Goodnight owl which surprised me.
She honestly started to whimper a bit as I was reading to her. Her daddy chimed it's probably because she think your putting her to bed.
I guess I wasn't to into the story and I didn't care for her reaction to t...more
Michelle Wiles
A great children's book to read to your little ones.
Nielson
This curious little owl wants to find out what happens during the day when he is sleeping so he takes a nap during the night and wakes up when the sun comes up. WOW! He is awed by all of the bright and vibrant colors of the daytime. When night falls, he is again awed by all of the wonderful colors of the world and stays awake all night....like an owl does! This would be a great book for a toddler when learning about different colors. It is also a bright, well-illustrated book that could be used...more
Maggie KutsBorg
easy to read aloud, lots of colors to shout out: the toddlers were big fans.
Asho
This is the second British children's book that I've fallen in love with this week (the first being Russell the Sheep). The owl is darling, the illustrations are image I could see wanting to hang on a wall, and the book introduces colors in a fun way by showing them from the perspective of an owl who is used to only seeing darkness at night. My baby didn't seem quite as excited about this book as I was, but he was sleepy when we read it together so I'll have to give it another try.
Adih Respati
(spoiler alert)

This curious little owl decides to sleep through the night to stay awake the next day to see what the fuss is all about ‘day.’ It finds day surprising, color after color (yellow sun, green trees, blue skies, and you’ll be surprised what other colors the author elaborated). When night returns, the owl sees it with a new light and equal wonders. Hopgood made WOW a book of color, curiousity, and bewilderment in just one book —that’s too good to be true.
Ariel Cummins
A story about colors! Specifically, the colors an owl sees when she stays up during the day.

Basic colors abound, as do pretty straightforward descriptions ("white fluffy clouds floated across the bright blue sky").

The multimedia illustrations are engaging and modern looking, and include many shades of each color.

If you need a color book for a storytime, you're in luck! But it's a bit of a one trick pony, so you can't really use it for anything else.
Susan
I love this book. I think the illustrations are beautiful and amazing.

Literacy skills:

Print awareness-the author bolded the color words that correspond to the picture. These clues help kids figure out what the word might be.

Narrative skills-each discovery made by the owl starts with "Wow!" This repeated phrase helps kids read the book with an adult.
Denise
Can't wait to use this in storytime! The illustrations are beautiful and the concept is simple and unique. The owl who normally sleeps during the day and flys by night accidentally falls asleep and wakes as the sun is rising. She soon discovers the daytime is full of color, and decides the nighttime stars are "the most beautiful of all."
Vicki
Owl decides to stay up during the day to "see" what he has been missing while he usually sleeps. He is so amazed that all he can say is "Wow". The phrase wow is great for audience participation. This book could be used for an owl or color story time. It would be a great one to make flannel board pieces for to retell the story.
Destiny Dawn Long
A curious owl decides to stay up all day (instead of sleeping like little owls ought) and is amazed by all the colors. This is a cute little book to help children learn their colors, that also incorporates a decent narrative. The illustrations were average, but nice enough. My daughter liked saying "WOW!" over and over.
Rosa
A little owl stays awake during the day so that she can see all of the beautiful colors that occur during the day. Nice read that would be a great for a color or rainbow themed story time.
Madeleine
One of my favorite picture books! And it's not just 'cause I'm a fan of owls. I love the concept (Owl stays awake during the day and gets to see colors!), the repetition of phrase (great for storytime, even for younger than preschool if read with energy) and the use of singular colors on each page. Good times.
Kate Hastings
Sep 30, 2009 Kate Hastings rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: PreK colors
Shelves: concepts-color
Cute idea-- since owls are only awake at night, they can't usually see color. Owl decides to stay up and see what colors are all about.

The only trouble with this book is that the color being highlighted isn't always obvious. Sometimes it's the background color, and other times it's something in the illustrations.
Kelly Coyle DiNorcia
I like this one a lot because it manages to approach a fairly traditional subject matter (colors) from a very unique perspective. It asks children to consider the way that colors are different in the dark than they are in the light, and also introduces the idea that owls are nocturnal.
Bridget R. Wilson
When a little owl naps at night, the day time colors astound her.

What I thought: Simple text, great story/idea, beautiful illustrations. A thoroughly satisfying book.

Story Time Themes: Baby Sit & Sign emphasis on colors, Nocturnal Animals

Paula
She sees lots of colors during the day but still loves the nighttime best. could be used for toddlers if skipping some of the pages
A curious little owl decides to stay awake to find out how the things he sees at night look during the daytime.
LINDA
Loved, loved, loved this book! Perfect for calling attention to the beauty of nature all around us! By seeing through the owl's enthusiastic eyes children will surely look at the beautiful colors of the world differently! Wonderful illustrations!
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • A Book of Sleep
  • Cat's Colors
  • Hello Baby!
  • My Heart Is Like a Zoo
Ping and Pong Are Best Friends (mostly) Here Comes Frankie! Unpoppable. What a Wonderful World Tip Tap Went the Crab. Tim Hopgood