Start by marking “Destiny” as Want to Read:
Destiny

Destiny

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  532 ratings  ·  52 reviews
A passionate story rich with international characters, spanning three decades as it tells the tale of a rich and powerful couple.

Edouard’s story begins in London in 1940. At fourteen, he’s the son of a baron and second in line to a dazzling jewelry dynasty.

Hélène’s story begins in Alabama in 1950. An only child, she lives with her mother in a trailer park and dreams of esc
Mass Market Paperback
Published by Bantam Books (first published May 1st 91)

To ask other readers questions about Destiny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Destiny

Connie Werner Reichert
This is one of the most exquisite books I have ever had the pleasure to read!!!
Arah-Leah Hay
3.5 Stars

The great thing about this book, is that you can easily get lost in the story, the characters. I find that almost mandatory when reading a novel this size. It is a sweeping love story spanning decades between the past and present lives of Edouard de Chavigny and Helene Craig. If I would liken it to anything I immediately think of Gone With The Wind. In scope and the passing of time and events lived through two characters who are meant to be together but obviously circumstance prevent. T
Nicoletta
" Ci saranno sempre cose che non puoi controllare......."
Niente, nulla è certo, tutto quello che ci circonda è volontà del fato, di un destino già scritto per ognuno di noi.
Un destino ingiusto, impetuoso, che ha travolto i protagonisti di questa meravigliosa storia che non abbandonerà mai il mio cuore.
Helene e Edouard mi hanno fatto provare tante emozioni trascinandomi dalla gioia al dolore e dall'amore all'odio in un nanosecondo. Sono stati protagonisti della loro storia in maniera accesa, entr
Sue
Sep 26, 2007 Sue rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Love story
Shelves: romance
Written in 1987 and I still can't forget this book. I haven't read it since the 80's so my taste may have changed... I will have to re-read this to see if I still feel the same.

I worked for a bookstore in Aloha and saw this book. I have very ecletic tastes in books and have read a lot of historical fiction and Danielle Steele but wanted to try my hand at something different.

At first I was outraged by what was happening to the main character, Helene, to the point I almost quit reading as she gets
Sarah Weldon
This was the first book I read by Sally Beauman her characters seemed so real and it was so sad that she lost her darling Edouard because he couldn't bear her to know that he was her uncle and that their children should never have been born. I wanted to know the ending but I didn't want the book to be at an end, I passed it on to my friends and they all said the same. It was a truly wonderful book.
Amy
"The power you have when you're different. When people can't place you, sum you up..."

"We ARE our past, after all. Everything we've done, everything that has happened to us - that's what we are."

Manuela
Cora
I couldn't put this one down. It's an 80s style character intrigue style story similar to books by Danielle Steele. A rural misfit, Helen, goes to the city after her mother has an abortion. She ends up going through one hell after another, becomes an actress, and eventually reconnects with Edward, who is the love of her life.

Never in a million years would I have guessed the end of this book. Very bittersweet, and I can't say I would have handled the ending the same way. Too much water under the
Olivia
my first thought about this book was that it would be big book that i could just read when i got bored.This was not so.i seriously couldn't put this book down it was amazing.I mean the whole history and timeline was done so well it captivated me from the beginning and i didn't want o stop reading till i read.If your looking for a good book to read one that would engage you and make you fall in love with all the characters.THIS IS THE BOOK.I cried ,its truly touching!!!
Linda Leigh
Sher
I read this probably about 15 years ago and was so tore up by the ending I decided to re read it here last month. I only got about half way through and decided not to live through the heartbreak again, but it is a very good book and I do recommend it!
Brenda Arellano
I'm not usually into what seems to be fines as sappy, love driven romance sagas...especially by women authors. But this book is ahhhhmazing!!! I think it's about time to reread this one!
Seonaid
I first read Destiny when it came out in 1987 (I think) and everybody was talking about it - it caused quite a sensation, even in the 80s, THE era for sensational blockbuster novels. I wondered if I would still like it, nearly 30 years on; oddly enough, I think I like it even more now. It is not as 'sensational' as it was (oh, how jaded we are!), but this time round I picked up far more on how intelligently written and plotted it is, how well crafted and structured, and how rounded out the chara ...more
Sue Breton
I read this book when it was first published in the days when I was trying to become a Mills and Boon author. This is the book I wish I'd written (but never could). Over twenty years later I can still remember it and the effect it had on me.
Dana Loo
Un ottimo romanzo dall'intreccio narrativo complesso. Forse un po' dispersivo nella fase centrale e con personaggi nn molto empatici, si riscatta nell'ultima parte che porta ad un epilogo straziante ma inevitabile...
Katie
I'm not ususally a fan of romance novels; however, I really like Sally Beauman's novels and this one in particular. This IS a love story, but the characters are interesting and do interesting things. It's not just a romance, and nary a pirate or virgin in distress in sight. This story is entertaining, and you will find yourself remembering the characters and scenarios long after reading. This book was written decades ago, but I think it is timeless and an engrossing, enjoyable read. I told my fr ...more
Sue
Read it 30 years ago so detailed review no possible. However, i enjoyed it so much then that I've never thrown it away! On my re-read list
Nancy
I don't know what to do about this one. Normally, this is not my kind of thing, but I did read it and did like the characters.
The plot was ok, but there were huge coincidences as there sometimes are in life, but it was continuously melodramatic.
It's a rags to riches story and one of love and hate and revenge and love again. It was ok to read once, but I liked Beauman's Dark Angel better.
Jackie
At the recommendation of a friend, Gayle, who fondly remembered reading it many years ago, I moved it to the top of my 'to read' pile and started it yesterday. After staying up very late reading, and reading all afternoon/early evening today, I devoured this book (all 800+ pages!). Such complex relationships, truly a love story, the author develops the characters fully, thoughtfully.
Samantha
Started off really well, yet felt towards the end the author rushed through to finish, leaving me feeling a little let down. Maybe because I already knew the ending I was expecting the author to do more with that information or compared to 'Dark Angel' I was expecting too much. However, that being said, it's a good easy-to-get-into book to read on-the-go (i.e plane/train).
Cheryl Seagraves
Jun 11, 2013 Cheryl Seagraves rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Cheryl by: my mom
I have read this book at least once every year since I was in the eighth grade. It will always be forever my favorite, I even read it to my husband because I love to share the things I love with the people I love. We both enjoyed reading it, laughing, and crying together, great read that holds up to its promise to entertain.
Ashley
A passionate story, spanning several countries, rich with international characters, across three decades as it tells the tale of a rich and powerful couple.i actually got this book from a friend i thougt it was boring because of the cover which doesn't say much.But after reading its my best book of all times.
Sharondyck
One of my favourite books of all time. I re-read it every so often, which you can't say about that many books. It's a great love story, with elements of mystery, tragedy, and suspense. A very enjoyable read.
I read this book so long ago and it never seizes to envelop me completely. One of my all time favorites. If you love romance that feels real and rich history this is the perfect novel for you.
Kate Fletcher
Jul 06, 2007 Kate Fletcher added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: DON
The longest, horrible read. I forced myself through it, hoping for more. It was gross and mostly unpleasant. Could've been half and long and twice as good and I still couldn't have enjoyed it.
Stacey
Wow one of the best books I have ever read! It is my second favourite book; the plot is so deep you get sucked into the lifes of the characters. Definitely recommend!
Mark
A sprawling, epic novel that has - at its core - a fun love story. I read this whilst on holiday in Portgual and it kept my attention throughout. Great fun.
Rachel
This is one of my all time favorite books! I think it's getting time for a re-read even though I have plenty of new books waiting!
Tanya
If you liked the Bronze Horseman you will love this book. A love story but one that actually keeps you reading. Was tempted to give it a 5.
  • Sins
  • Legacy (The League of Illusion #1)
  • Ondine
  • Front Page Engagement (Park Avenue Scandals #2)
  • Tanamera
  • Soul Survivor (Soul Stripper, #2)
  • The Town House (House, #1)
  • A Scandalous Affair (The Merry Widows #3)
  • 40 Souls to Keep
  • Captured Heart (Highland Hearts, #1)
  • Lace II
  • Desired by Shadow (Shadow Walkers, #2)
  • The Dark Knight (Montagues, #4)
  • Pleasures of a Tempted Lady (Donovan Sisters, #3)
  • Savage Embers (Savage, #10)
  • The Adorned
  • Requiem for the Devil
  • Love in Another Town
aka Vanessa James

Sally Kinsey-Miles was born on 25 July 1944 in Devon, England, UK. She graduated from Girton College, Cambridge (MA in English Literature) She married Christopher Beauman an economist. After graduating, she moved with her husband to the USA, where she lived for three years, first in Washington DC, then New York, and travelled extensively. She began her career as a journalist in Am
More about Sally Beauman...
Rebecca's Tale The Sisters Mortland The Visitors Dark Angel Lovers and Liars