Start by marking “His at Night” as Want to Read:
His at Night

His at Night (The London Trilogy Series)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  3,618 ratings  ·  363 reviews
Love is hottest in the darkness before dawn.

Elissande Edgerton is a desperate woman, a virtual prisoner in the home of her tyrannical uncle. Only through marriage can she claim the freedom she craves. But how to catch the perfect man?

Lord Vere is used to baiting irresistible traps. As a secret agent for the government, he’s tracked down some of the most devious criminals i
Mass Market Paperback, 417 pages
Published May 25th 2010 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about His at Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His at Night

The Holy Terror
Let it be known that I don't normally read historical romance. I'm not an expert on the genre and I don't claim to know everything, but this story was BAD.

The hero was as stupid as the premise, and I wish I had never bought this book.

The entirety of this novel revolves around the concept that Lord Vere, the male protagonist, is a complete idiot. He was given the opportunity to work for the Crown undercover and he chose to use a riding accident as his reason for his current less-intelligent stat
new_user
Jun 05, 2010 new_user rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of light and funny, plus flawed heroes; also, The Scarlet Pimpernel
Shelves: historical
His at Night will surprise readers of Sherry Thomas' Private Arrangements and Not Quite a Husband used to her regretful, subtly intense narratives and realistic characters and dialogue. Both novels follow the conflicts facing two fully realized people in a relationship.

In contrast, His at Night hinges on a more implausible premise unrelated to the central romance, where hero Lord Vere adopts the pose of an idiot for years as an agent of the Crown. Perhaps the rockiest leg of this foundation
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
His at Night was a very clever, multi-layered story. It is about two people who live their lives while playing out a role, 24 hours out of the day. Both Vere and Elissande have very good reasons for why they pretend to be someone that they are not. Vere does it to right wrongs, to exact vengeance when he could not save his mother so many years ago. Elissande does it for her survival.

I was quite impressed with how Ms. Thomas wrote this book that made me laugh myself giddy in some scenes, and feel
Rane
My first Sherry Thomas book, and while some say this book has a lighter feel to it, it still packs a big emotional wallop, that had me going through a major range of emotions from anger, to tears and cheers.

Sometimes it can be hard to feel for the characters, and for me it took sometime for me to really feel and understand where Vere was coming from. At first glance he comes across as a loveable idiot But as an agent of the crown, he can move more freely when everyone just thinks you don’t ha
Fani
I absolutely loved this book! I'm not sure anything can surpass my love for Private Arrangements, but after reading this one back to back with Not Quite a Husband, which I also adored, I think this one's my second favorite after all!

HaN starts lightly enough: Lord Vale is a Crown's agent pretending to be an idiot, working on a case about the heroine's uncle. Ellisande on the other hand wants to escape her uncle's home anyway she can. And the opportunity presents itself when Vale and a group of
Admittedly, I'm hard to impress when it comes to standard romance novels. But I can't stand it when these books are peddled as something they're not. His At Night is another in that oh-so-risque clump of romances -- the ones that want to be Hardcore Fiction in ways not dictated by Tab A/Slot B sex.

...But it didn't work.

Novels like this are terrified of offending their audience. They're desperate to reassure the reader that there's a familiar path, regardless of changing this trope or that angle
Kinga
Every romance novel needs an obstacle. The idea is that the characters are perfectly suited for each other but there is something that is stopping them from being together - some misunderstanding or some dark secret for example.

The first thing to do if you want to write a romance novel is to come up with that obstacle. Sherry Thomas came up with this: let's make the male lead really smart and handsome but let's make him pretend he is dumbshit because he is a secret agent and 'dumbshit' is his co
Eastofoz
Jul 31, 2010 Eastofoz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anne Stuart fans
Historical romance lover that I am, for some bizarre reason I’ve been avoiding Sherry Thomas on purpose because the stories just didn’t seem all that interesting. Strangely enough I did the same thing with Shana Abé and now I can’t say enough good about either author and they’re exceptionally talented writing style. For a book that doesn’t have much steam (just like Abé’s) Thomas wrote a very original story that had me whipping right through the 417 pages in just a few short days.

The story is de
FlibBityFLooB
Ahhh... Reading this was sort of like slipping under a warm and comfy blanket. I had read Sherry Thomas' previous three novels and been very impressed, so I eagerly went out of my way to purchase and read this one when it was first published. I knew I was going to enjoy it as much as her previous novels after reading merely the first page and seeing her use the word "abstruse". Sherry Thomas has a very unique writing style in the genre of historical romance, with her intelligence and sharp wit s ...more
Juliana
Couldn't bring myself to believe they fell in love - or really even knew each other (2.5 stars)

[End of the Victorian era - England:]
His at Night is Sherry Thomas's fourth book, but the first of hers that I've read. Although I did not enjoy this book, I think Thomas is a talented author who has the ability to create interesting and complex characters. Not Quite a Husband has very good reader reviews, so I think I will be checking it out from the library and reading it before deciding that Thomas
Verity
May 25, 2010 Verity rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fanz of The Scarlet Pimpernel
Vere has led an exhilarating but exhausting & lonely double lives as a secret agent for the crown. Justice in the name of Queen & Country is his tru’ calling. His & fellow comrades’ latest conundrum is how to infiltrate the house of Ellie’s uncle, the main suspect in a diamond extortion case. When Vere suggests the idea of releasing rats in 1 of his collaborator’s rented house, he has no inkling the pandemonium will be in the form of an ocean of rats (if U hate rats as much as Indian ...more
Caz
4.5 stars, but it feels closer to 5 than 4, so ...

I’ve been on a bit of a Sherry Thomas binge lately – I’ve devoured her two YA novels and listened to My Beautiful Enemy), and now, pounced on this new recording of one of her backlist titles, His at Night.

This is one of the small number of her books I haven’t yet read, but Kate Reading’s expert narration brings the story to life so vividly that I didn’t feel I’d missed anything by not having read the book first.

The story centres around two emoti
Kim H
I read this book in one long, 12 hour stretch, finishing just before midnight. It goes without saying that the natives were restless, waiting for mom to pull her nose out of that stupid kissing book, and see to their needs. But, as is usually the case when the kissing book in question is a Sherry Thomas, it goes without saying that it's a pizza night, remember to brush your teeth, try to get into bed at a decent hour, and interrupt me at your own risk.
My DH crept to the bedroom doorway two or t
Wicked Incognito Now
This is a typical historical romance, which leaves me feeling rather disappointed. Sherry Thomas is one of the more original and talented historical romance authors writing today. I always wait anxiously for her new releases. However, with this novel, she trotted out all of the typical historical romance story devices:

1. the dastardly villian
2. secret past, mistaken parentage
3. suspense plot-line
4. the forced marriage due to being caught in a "compromising position" by the ton gossip
5. the virg
Mahyar
I’m totally awestruck. You’d be surprised of how funny, touching and captivating this book can be!

Reading His at Night was like having a fresh, brand new meal after eating the same food over and over again; it was very refreshing. A simple look, touch or kiss was more sizzling than a few pages of love-making in an erotic novel.

I’m officially a fan of Sherry Thomas now and I’ll read her other books as soon as possible.

Thank you, NU for encouraging me to read this wonderful book.
Aly is so frigging bored
Jul 27, 2013 Aly is so frigging bored rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who wants to read a fun and dramatic, at the same time, book
Recommended to Aly is so frigging bored by: The cover :D
Shelves: historical, favorites
2nd read July 2013
This book is amazing! I love it even more then the 1st time. On a side note, it's one of the books that also makes me cry, a lot! I can't explain why.

1st read October 2011
Gender: Historical Romance (Years: 1890-1900)
Hero: Spencer Russell Blandford Churchill Stuart or "Penny", Marquees Vere
Heroine: Miss Elissande Edgerton
Rating: 5*+

I don't know how to explain why I loved this book, but I did. The hero was very intelligent and funny and he played the role of an idiot so good th
Beanbag Love
*sniff* *sniff*

I loved this book. The story was hilarious in some spots, poignant in others and overall completely enjoyable.

Vere and Elissande are both play actors, each for a different reason. I thought this was a very fresh approach on the "wrong impression" trope and I did love their chemistry even as they wanted anything else under the sun but to fall for each other.

This was a great read for a lazy Sunday. It was on sale for Kindle when I bought it a while ago, but I don't know if it's st
Kaetrin
My favourite of Sherry's books so far. Why I read it: I've read Ms. Thomas' 3 previous releases and enjoyed them all. Plus, I thought they kept getting better so I was excited to read this new story. I read the excerpt on her website and I knew I was in for a treat.

What it's about: (here's the blurb from the author's website)
Searock
4 plus stars (plus what, I don't know and will never be able to decide)

My review will seem quite oxymoronic, I'm sure.

I want to give this book more stars for no more reason than this author is egregiously talented (oxymoron number one) and because I could not stop reading until the last page.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a smart, historical romance from the authorial lineage of Ivory or Kinsale. However, I didn't give the full 5 stars to this wonderful book and here's why:

I
Anna D.
Oct 15, 2013 Anna D. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: hr
Maybe 3.5 stars rounded up.

I was intrigued by the premise of the story and Ms. Thomas did give me the story I expected, but the delivery of it somehow fell short..or rather, it fell flat. It had all the makings of a wonderful book yet it didn’t grab me emotionally or excite me as much as it could have. I don’t know why. It’s one of those inexplicable things to me – how some authors are able to grab me and some just don’t, even though [all things considered] it should. Especially with all the act
Wendy
I loved this angsty, fascinating story, with its clever twists and turns. Particularly well read by the extremely talented Kate Reading who has the most perfect voice for the deeper male and more high pitched female, her tones are melodious and pleasant and kept me listening deep into the night.

The main characters have been greatly traumatised by events in their past lives, and their reactions and coping mechanisms are similar. Both deal in lies and deception and in the case of the hero, Lord Ve
Miranda Davis
Really enjoyed this and look forward to reading her others, esp. her first.

Other reviews have certainly summed up the plot in detail.
In short: to save herself and her aunt, isolated spinster heroine entraps a marquess who is one of a group unexpectedly staying at her reclusive uncle's country house. The hero marquess has been pretending to be simple minded for 13 years to bring criminals to justice, the heroine's uncle being a current subject of inquiry.

Loved the writing, very wry, intelligent
Ana Luisa
Este livro fascinou-me por diversas razões. A primeira pela inteligência como a autora criou a personagem de Lord Vere, não é fácil de criar um personagem assim tão fascinante e esconder todas aquelas qualidades por trás de tanta idiotice pegada. Adorei! A relação dele com Elissandre também é algo que me despertou a atenção, desde o inicio que houve uma chama entre eles, mas ela não sendo uma personagem com personalidade fraca colocou os seus objectivos na frente dos seus sentimentos e tudo fez ...more
Willow Brook
This is the second book I've read by Sherry Thomas and I'm very impressed with her writing. Even when the plot doesn't immediately appeal to me, she still tells a compelling story with nuanced, interesting, flawed characters. This draws me in and I become very intrigued to see how everything is going to work out.

In His At Night, Ellisande is desperate to get out of a very grim situation. Her creepy, controlling, and scary uncle holds her hostage because she doesn't dare leave her invalid aunt b
Barbara
Oh wow! Another great historical romance from Sherry Thomas. I gobbled this down in one sitting.
The plot is a sorta Scarlet-Pimpernel riff, with a twist, of course. Lord Vere, our hero, is tall and gorgeous, a Marquess and, as far as everyone, including his beloved brother, is concerned, he's also an absolute idiot.
We, the readers, are quickly made aware that the good-natured dummy role is just that--an act he puts on to cover his 'job' as special investigator for the Crown.
Ellisande, our lovely
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
I think I have to say a big "Thank you" to Aly for recommending this book to me. I have a feeling that I would become a historical addict if I let myself get more involved with them. This book was AWESOME. I didn't want to put it down for a moment.

The story was satidfying. It had a thrilling hero and a great heroine(sth that usually doesn't happen in historicals, at least not for me) and a side story just as great.

I loved both Vere and Ellie. They were both liars and manipulators but both had a
Jacqueline
Dec 21, 2011 Jacqueline rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jacqueline by: Fani
This was a captivating book. I have pretty stringent standards for historical romance and I felt that this book really brought to life the late Victorian period in a subtle but real way. I loved both the hero and the heroine. They were both believable and well written. I particularly enjoyed the contrast between the hero's foolish facade and the bleak and dark man who appeared at night the times that he was drunk and let his real self show. The emotions and relationship between them felt very re ...more
Célia Loureiro
O primeiro livro que li da Sherry Thomas foi o “Um Amor Quase Perfeito”. Visto que já li centenas de romances históricos – costumava ler um por noite, que baixava da internet e devorava até altas horas da madrugada – é-me impossível catalogá-los todos e, mais ainda, é-me impossível distingui-los. Mas os da Sherry distinguem-se, sem dúvida. Não só as personagens são únicas, como são inteligentes, perspicazes, transcendem os limites da ficção e parecem-nos quase pessoas comuns e excepcionais. O Lo ...more
Riddhi
BRed with my buddies!

3 stars.
I'm not going to do a full review on this book, especially since I did end up skimming around. There were a lot of things about this book that I usually don't like reading.
1) Two stories
2) secret between the H/h like identities
3) anticlimactism (That's so not a word)

I liked the hero well enough. I think it was Vere's disguise that made him appealing. I didn't really care for Elissanda very much. She was not some I could really love. Together they were "eh".

I f

Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 02, 2015 09:26AM
  • Written on Your Skin
  • Trial by Desire (Carhart, #2)
  • The Forbidden Rose (Spymasters, #3)
  • The Shadow and the Star (Victorian Hearts, #2)
  • To Have and To Hold (Wyckerley Trilogy, #2)
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • A Lady Awakened (Blackshear Family, #1)
  • What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • One Week As Lovers (Huntington, #3)
  • Untie My Heart
  • Indiscreet
  • Captive of Sin
Sherry Thomas writes both historical romance and young adult fantasy.

On the romance side, she is one of the most acclaimed authors working in the genre today, her books regularly receiving starred reviews and best-of-the-year honors from trade publications. She is also a two-time winner of Romance Writers of America’s prestigious RITA Award.

On the young adult fantasy side, there isn't much to say
More about Sherry Thomas...

The London Trilogy Series (3 books)
  • The Luckiest Lady in London
  • Private Arrangements
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy, #1) Not Quite a Husband Private Arrangements The Luckiest Lady in London The Perilous Sea (The Elemental Trilogy, #2)

“Was it possible—was it at all possible that she could come out of her most desperate choice with a man as clever as Odysseus who looked like Achilles and made love like Paris…?” 9 likes
“He felt as if he stood at the very top of a high cliff. Take a step back and all was safe and familiar. But going forward required a singular leap of faith—and he was a man of little faith, particularly when it came to himself. But he wanted her to look at him again as if he were full of possibilities. As if they were full of possibilities.” 8 likes