Start by marking “A Supremacia de Cristo em um Mundo Pós-Moderno” as Want to Read:
A Supremacia de Cristo em um Mundo Pós-Moderno

A Supremacia de Cristo em um Mundo Pós-Moderno

In a postmodern society where “absolute truth” is a foreign concept and religion is without morals, Christians often wonder, “How can I share the love, joy, and truth of Christ with a hurting world?”

Six of today’s leading pastor-theologians—John Piper, Voddie Baucham, D. A. Carson, Tim Keller, Mark Driscoll, and David Wells—have joined together to offer Christians a pract

Published 2007 by CPAD

To ask other readers questions about A Supremacia de Cristo em um Mundo Pós-Moderno, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Supremacia de Cristo em um Mundo Pós-Moderno

Dottie Parish
This is an excellent book that will teach Christians how to respond reasonably to the unbelief in today’s postmodern world. Each chapter is by a well known theologian. I was familiar with all of them except Voddie Baughan, Jr. He wrote Chapter 2 Truth and the Supremacy of Christ and this chapter was particularly helpful to me – so helpful that I wrote up a summary of the chapter and shared it with my granddaughter who is a freshman in college and will be taking a philosophy class next semester. ...more
Seth
Nov 01, 2015 Seth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to rate this book as every chapter is written by a different author. I wish it would have spent a little more time explaining post-modernism. Most of the chapters were pretty good. I felt like Driscoll had some decent ideas but did not appreciate his clearly stereotypical view of fundamentalism. Neither did I appreciate the way he presented Christ. Overall a good book though.
Jeff
Aug 04, 2011 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A couple of weeks ago I finished reading a collection of essays that was edited by John Piper. All of these essays centered around the idea of Christ's supremacy in the postmodern/relativistic culture in which we live.

These essays are the product of a conference in which these different theologians gathered together to talk about this exact issue.

The contributers to this collections are:

David Wells

Voddie Baucham Jr.

John Piper

D.A. Carson

Tim Keller

Mark Driscoll

When I first opened this book and jum
Michael Preston
Jul 01, 2008 Michael Preston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
When I bought this book, I bought it because of it's interesting title. I was taking a lot of philosophy classes at Belhaven and I thought this would look good on my shelf. For whatever reason I decided to pick up the book and start reading. The next thing i new I was underlining, writing in margins, circling and looking up definitions for words. The book had gripped me philosophically, theologically, missionaly, culturally, practically, and so much more!

I couldn't decide what "Shelf" to put th
John Gardner
Aug 07, 2010 John Gardner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How can the church teach the gospel of a man who claimed to be “the Truth” to a world that hates truth claims? That was the topic being addressed at the 2006 Desiring God National Conference. This book is basically transcripts of the plenary sessions from that conference.

Each chapter corresponds to the message presented by each of the speakers at the conference: David Wells, Voddie Baucham, Tim Keller, Mark Driscoll, D.A. Carson, and John Piper… not a bad lineup! There is also a chapter titled “
Amanda Tranmer
Mar 01, 2016 Amanda Tranmer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is in reality a collection of essays by 6 very different theologians, a fantastic overview of Biblically-sound, humble yet uncompromising, insightful and inspiring, gracious and passionate responses to the postmodern ethos. Some questions I had were answered, some things I knew but couldn't quite define were put in context for me. I was also convicted. As I read the last page, it left me pondering... Am I a relevant and effective witness? Am I flexible yet uncompromising in the ways I ...more
Janice
Sep 04, 2009 Janice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is edited by John Piper and Justin Taylor and has some topnotch Reformed pastor/theologians contributing: David Wells, Voddie Baucham, D. A. Carson, Tim Keller, Mark Driscoll, and John Piper.It is a great addition to the library of anyone who wants to put Christ above all things in this postmodern world. At the end of the book there are two different discussions lead by Justin Taylor that help even more to flesh out their theology particularly in regards to the emergent church. The boo ...more
Zolla
Oct 26, 2015 Zolla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: apologetics, missions
This is probably the most scholarly book I've read to date. I had to google some of the words. I feel smarter now. I have a much deeper understanding of the supremacy of Christ, compared with our postmodern culture. Christ has what people are looking for. The Bible contains timeless truth. The church just needs to get better at communicating this to post modern ears. I highly recommend this to anyone interested in understanding Christianity that is both Orthodox and relevant. Each chapter is wri ...more
Sean
Aug 08, 2011 Sean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-my-office
This was a breath of fresh air. The men who wrote this book have great insight into the Postmodern world and explain their ideas with intellect and with tact. I enjoyed this read because it put into terms many of those things I've thought about but couldn't articulate. Great stuff if you have a desire to engage our culture for Christ.
Andrew
Mar 01, 2014 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great summary of that DG conference. Each speaker has their own view but I continually found myself challenged too share the Gospel on the home front. A big reminder that personal testimony paired with Scripture is probably the best postmodern witnessing tool.
Ryan Burns
Jun 05, 2009 Ryan Burns rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book by some of the top christian leaders and speakers today. Pulled from their talks at the '06 Desiring God Conference, each chapter can be read as an independently. These men do a great job of explaining how postmodernism is changing the world.
Jared Daugherty
Jan 26, 2008 Jared Daugherty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a compilation of many different pastors across the country talking about the attack on truth and how to effectively point to the truth which is only in Christ Jesus in this postmodern world. Great read!
Kurt
Jul 23, 2011 Kurt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some of the essays were much less effective than others (Wells was a little too dry and philosophical for me, and Baucham's political references sounded wrong), but this is an alright book overall. I can't think of a situation in which I would recommend it with any enthusiasm, though.
Jonathan Cavett

No new information here, but it is the sound reformed theology that one would expect from these faithful men.
Aaron Carlberg
This is an excellent book you should all read. The chapters by Voddie Baucham and Mark Driscol are wonderful.
Chris
Jan 07, 2014 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read - compilations of several different authors, all writing towards a common theme of the "centrality and absolute supremacy of Jesus Christ."
Robby
Robby rated it it was ok
Jan 09, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2012
Joseph Fischer
Joseph Fischer rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2016
James Hart
James Hart rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2013
Stephen Bean
Stephen Bean rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2014
Stephen Smith
Stephen Smith rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2014
Gutu
Gutu rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Brandon Hash
Brandon Hash rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2014
Daniel Garcia
Daniel Garcia rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2009
Michael Abraham
Michael Abraham rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2016
Shane Mcgrath
Shane Mcgrath rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2010
Nathan Johnson
Nathan Johnson rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2015
Joseph Hession
Joseph Hession rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2010
  • Becoming Conversant with the Emerging Church: Understanding a Movement and Its Implications
  • The Radical Reformission: Reaching Out without Selling Out
  • Above All Earthly Pow'rs: Christ in a Postmodern World
  • Disciple: Getting Your Identity from Jesus
  • The Christian Faith: A Systematic Theology for Pilgrims on the Way
  • The Glory of Christ
  • Systematic Theology
  • Growing in Christ
  • Biblical Theology in the Life of the Church: A Guide for Ministry
  • Why We're Not Emergent (By Two Guys Who Should Be)
John Piper is founder and teacher of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary. For 33 years, he served as senior pastor at Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

He grew up in Greenville, South Carolina, and studied at Wheaton College, Fuller Theological Seminary (B.D.), and the University of Munich (D.theol.). For six years, he taught Biblical Studies at Bethe
More about John Piper...

“If there is not radical, concrete growth in humble love towards everyone (even your enemies), you don’t really know you are a sinner saved by grace. And if there is not radical, concrete growth in confidence and joy (even in difficulties), you don’t really know you are a sinner saved by grace.
- Timothy Keller”
5 likes
“Jesus is not honored most by the exploration of various christologies, any more than your wife would be honored by your indecision concerning her character. Jesus is honored by our knowing and treasuring him for who he really is. He is a real person. A fact. A fixed, unchanging reality in the universe, independent of our feelings. Our feelings about him do not make him what he is. Our feelings about him reflect the value of what we think he has. And if our knowledge of him is wrong, to that degree our enjoyment of him will be no honor to the real Jesus. Our joy displays his glory when it's a reflex of seeing him for who he really is.” 2 likes