Start by marking “xkcd: volume 0” as Want to Read:
xkcd: volume 0

xkcd: volume 0

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  3,705 ratings  ·  144 reviews
Randall Munroe describes xkcd as a webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language. While it's practically required reading in the geek community, xkcd fans are as varied as the comic's subject matter. This book creates laughs from science jokes on one page to relationship humor on another.

Published August 24th 2010 by Breadpig (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about xkcd, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about xkcd

xkcd by Randall MunroeHark! A Vagrant by Kate BeatonGunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1 by Thomas SiddellGirl Genius, Vol. 1 by Phil FoglioWorm by wildbow
Best of the Web
1st out of 163 books — 162 voters
Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1 by Thomas SiddellHark! A Vagrant by Kate BeatonGirl Genius, Vol. 1 by Phil Foglioxkcd by Randall MunroeLackadaisy by Tracy J. Butler
Webcomics
4th out of 177 books — 65 voters

More lists with this book...

Killer Rabbit
"I can't get no satisfaction." - Rolling Stones lyrics
My undergrad physics department wasn't a happy place. When we joined the department, we were told that the profs considered it their responsibility to cull the unworthy from our herd of physicist wannabes. The more pig headed of us stuck it out. The less pig headed shifted their allegiance to less hostile departments. And one of the grad students decided to whack his committee chairman in the head with a hammer. Here's a short quiz to see whe...more
Evgeny
This is a well-known web comic with stick figures. It is also a very good indicator of your geekiness. If you understand and like some of the jokes (and you need to have a university-level math and physics classes under your belt for this), you are a geek. If you understand all of the jokes, you are a super-geek. Finally, if you are able to find an xkcd comic which is related to any particular life situation, you are an uber-geek; I kid you not, I saw people doing it.

My point is the following:...more
Nicolas Ward
This contains most of what I consider to be "classic" xkcd, in terms of the comics I remember reading, the comics that I reference outside of obvious xkcd contexts, and the comics I sometimes wear as shirts. For the most part I remembered the jokes, although a number of them were refreshers where they weren't ones I had referenced or thought of since reading through xkcd the first time.

My one complaint with the layout is that what used to be the mouseover text (a key component of xkcd's humor, a...more
Kathryn
Mar 04, 2011 Kathryn rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: XKCD fans
XKCD, for the uninitiated, is a webcomic "drawn" by Randall Munroe. It features primarily stick figures and typically focuses on "nerdy" topics such as science, math, science fiction, Firefly, and the like.

XKCD: Volume 0 is the first collection of XKCD strips. Munroe selected the best of XKCD from the first 500 or so comics. He added a little commentary to a few strips and included some coded messages, which I didn't bother decoding. The book will no doubt delight XKCD fans.

I used to love XKCD,...more
Philip
"This book is a collection of strips from xkcd, a free webcomic. I want to get that out of the way so you don't feel betrayed later when you realize you paid for a book of things that you could get for free from the Internet."

I actually got this book from the library, so don't worry about it.

Though, I may end up buying it. I love xkcd.

The book is exactly what it purports: a collection of xkcd comics in book form. Since you can all go to xkcd.com, I'm not going to write a true review of the book....more
Lucy
Beautiful book. And the proceeds have gone to build a school in Laos. Buy one from the xkcd Website. The NYTimes says:
"While Mr. Munroe conceded a nostalgic love of books, remembering how he devoured books of a favorite comic strip, Calvin & Hobbes, he said he is now a committed Kindle 2 user, preferring it to print. Still, he said: 'I have this urge. You want to print them out and put them up on places. There is something good about collecting them together.'"
quite!
Louis
I love the way this book's page numbers are in Base 3, that the volume starts with 0, that the revision level is a Fibonacci series, that the annotations are included (though hard to read because they are small) and because there is encrypted messages in red throughout the book.

And I never really liked math, but I love this series.

Why buy an XKCD book when it's free on the internet?

What will you do for fun when the power goes out, the zombie apocalypse is upon you and all that's left good in the...more
Remo
El inefable xkcd sale en papel, y no puedo menos que agradecerle su dedicación comprándome un libro. Xkcd.com, para los que no lo conozcan, es un cómic mal dibujado sobre temas científicos y/o frikis, en general. El autor es físico y a veces su frikismo supera ampliamente el mío, pero otras me siento plenamente identificado y admiro el inmenso ingenio del autor.
Todas la viñetas que salen en el libro han sido publicadas previamente en la red. Lo único que añade el autor son algunos comentarios y...more
Jean Tessier
Oct 01, 2011 Jean Tessier rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jean by: Karl Dotter
Shelves: leisure
I'm a big fan of the xkcd webcomic and a friend got me
this book.

You can read all the strips on the website, but the book had additional
scribbles and notes in the margins that give us a glimpse into the mind of their
author. Very geeky, always accurate, and some are definitely NSFW. Thoroughly
enjoyable and a great gift for your favorite geek.

The author also added all kinds of little puzzles around the strips for the
hard-core code breakers and problem solvers. Some are really easy to decode,
like th...more
terpkristin
Randall Munroe got his degree in physics and went to work with the fine folks at NASA for a bit. He gave it all up to draw stick-figure webstrips three times a week. It was probably the best decision he could have made for himself and for geekdom. Seriously, if you haven't read xkcd and are reading this review, there's something wrong with you.

xkcd: volume 0 is a collection of most of his strips through 2008, along with some notes and puzzles he's written to go with. I got it as a part of the eb...more
Raj
It's XKCD, but in paper form. All the geekiness, none of the monitor eyestrain. Since the originals of some of the early strips are lost, so this isn't a straight chronological listing of strips, but a collection of Munroe's favourites. The tooltip texts are all present, usually inserted below the strip, or in between panels, and there is new stuff as well, with some being commentary on strips, some random doodles and some random-looking codes that are probably very funny if I could be bothered...more
Schnaucl
The comics are as funny as ever but there are a few problems. Although the hover text (there may be a more technical name for it)is included, it's in unnecessarily tiny font and has inconsistent placement. Most of the time it's directly under the strip but sometimes it's between panels and more than once I really had to search for it because the font is so small it was easy to overlook.

I was also hoping for commentary with the comics. There is the occasional bit of commentary but it's very rare....more
Karissa
I have long been a fan of the XKCD web comic. I actually bought this book for my husband (who is also a big fan) right when it came out. I just finally sat down the other day and read it. It’s a collection of Munroe’s favorite XKCD comics. I definitely enjoyed reading it.

In the forward Munroe says he picked his favorite comics to put together in this first book. All proceeds from the book go to charity so that is pretty cool. You can read most of these comics on the web for free. However, there...more
Nikki
I'm not geek enough to understand the math/science jokes in xkcd, but I do love the Firefly reference ones, and ones that make me smile wryly like this. Obviously, if you buy this book, you're paying for something that you can find easily online and for free -- and it's only a selection, and there's no guarantee that your favourite strips are in here... Still, it's a fun retrospective of xkcd and I found a couple I'd never come across before.
James
I love this! I wish my fellow nerds in high school and I had had the chance to read this then. This is full of the kinds of humor I remember from physics class and the chess club. The page numbering is in base 3, even. I'll probably never figure out a lot of the little notations at the bottom of the pages, but that's all right. If you're a snarky, cynical nerd, this is for you.
Chris

xkcd: volume 0 is the first book from the immensely popular webcomic with a passionate readership (just Google "xkcd meetup").

The artist selected personal and fan favorites from his first 600 comics. It wa

Steve Coughlan
I learned that I'm not as smart as I think... some of these cartoons go way over my head, which is good. Now I've got to do some research and learn why the ones I miss are funny.

But the vast majority I do get, and are very funny. I think my favorite is the one about gaming with death.
Bob Hartley
This appears to be the product of jealousy amongst a group of graphic artist friends, most of whom are published. That, or the creators want money for their work or some bullshit like that.
John
Sep 23, 2009 John marked it as to-read
Shelves: humor, own
Got this book today -- looking forward to it!
Dimitris Hall
xkcd is one of my favourite web comics. Not that I'm following a whole lot of others; it's just on the top of a smallish stack. That said, the humour can be very hit or miss depending on the reader's mastery of the niche subject in question each time. The über math geek jokes fly right over my head but every so often I might be able to understand some of the not-too-obvious computer/internet or somewhat less specific science jokes. This can be very gratifying, therefore I think I can envision th...more
Alice
I've been a big fan of xkcd for a couple of years now, and I still follow it's updates. Ever since the book was released, it's been on my "to buy" list.

For some people, buying a book of content that's already available for free on the internet seems insane. But it's worth it, to have a hard copy of the book, one you can pick up and read at any time. It's nice to have this collection on my book shelf.

That's not to say I don't have a couple of criticisms for the book; it's irregular size makes it...more
Andrea
A selection of some of the best comics--they did manage to pick a few that were my personal favorites as well.

I'm glad they included the hovertext--often they are like the third panel of the comic. Since Cynthia already warned me about the hovertexts being ultra-tiny text hidden in random places, I didn't care when I read the comics. Possibly if I had not been forewarned, I would have been annoyed.

An odd side effect of reading xkcd: I love some of the comics--especially ones referencing sociol...more
Anna
Oh XKCD, how do I love thee? Well, for a start I have several framed XKCD cartoons hanging around the house, more as simple printouts on the fridge, the app on my iPhone and this gorgeous book of xkcd-osity on my bookshelves. It's the most intelligent and funniest cartoon out there today, where deep thought collides with blissful silliness and astonishingly expressive stick figures act it all out for us. I love it to bits and this book is great both as a treat for us fans and as a way to introdu...more
Mike
xkcd volume 0 collects assorted strips chosen by the author from strips 1-600 of the webcomic.

Self described as "a webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language," xkcd is a wildly popular comic that uses stick figure art and revels in "nerd humor." The best way to get a feel for whether you'll enjoy it is to visit the website and peruse for a while. While at times it can get too obscure and can be a bit hit and miss, in general it's highly entertaining and one of my favorite webcomics.

Volume...more
This book was on the staff recommends table at the library, and it made me smile, so I checked it out. I know, as I am admonished in the foreword by the author, that I can get all this on the internet for free (well, so's the library, but let's leave that aside for a moment), but I am one of those individuals who still finds words on paper much more enjoyable than words on a screen. I've never followed xkcd regularly, but I usually enjoy them when someone points me to one in particular. I've mad...more
Erica
This collection of the popular webcomic XKCD is fun to read even if you've been through the site's archive. Munroe adds extra jokes and annotations and even if he didn't the comic is so well done that I was thankful for an excuse to re-read some. If you haven't read the comic yet you can access it online to get a taste of it. I can't think of any better way to describe it than Munroe already has: a webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language. Munroe used to work for NASA so when he says it'...more
Adam Adamson
Apr 28, 2013 Adam Adamson added it
Recommends it for: Graphic novel fans, physics and math students
You've probably already heard of xkcd; if you read any internet forums or websites like Reddit and Digg there is a saying "There's always a relevant xkcd". This is absolutely true - think of any problem or situation and you can bet that Randall Munroe has written or drawn about it.

This means that the comic does appeal to everyone, even though it is marketed to those with a working knowledge of physics and maths. Its crossover ability makes it one of the top webcomics, and it also means it is one...more
Begoña
I discovered xkcd, very appropriately, during a math conference in Brazil. Neglected by my SO, who was pursuing “science”, I stayed at the hotel's computer —instead of hitting the beach again, I know—, read through all the existing comics, and never regretted it. This gave me the wonderful pleasure of introducing xkcd to a large number of mathematicians in one go.
Corinne Harvey
Randall Munroe is pure genius. He is funny and nerdy and romantic and basically the best kind of man in an all-around sense. This book is full of tidbits that may not have made their way into the online originals of the strips. There are bits and pieces that make no sense to me, but I'm sure someone out there has figured them out. Be sure to read the foreword.
Tim Poston
If you would like this book, then with probability 1 you already read the comic XKCD on line, as I do.
(You very likely also know the difference of probability 1 versus certainty,
and the relevance to good coding.) Dangerously funny.

I had to buy it, of course, just to own a "Volume 0".

I was not disappointed, and nor were my geek friends.
This book in Sudamerica 1 7 Aug 31, 2012 01:08AM
  • Save Yourself, Mammal!: A Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal Collection
  • Epic Legends of the Magic Sword Kings (Penny Arcade, #2)
  • Signal to Noise
  • Cyanide and Happiness
  • Questionable Content, Vol. 1
  • Invasion (The Secret World Chronicles #1)
  • The Order of the Stick: Dungeon Crawlin' Fools (The Order of the Stick, #1)
  • The Perry Bible Fellowship Almanack
  • Girls with Slingshots, Vol. 1
  • Machine of Death: A Collection of Stories About People Who Know How They Will Die (Machine of Death #1)
  • Pirate Cinema
Randall Munroe, a former NASA roboticist, is the creator of the webcomic xkcd and the author of xkcd: volume 0. The International Astronomical Union recently named an asteroid after him; asteroid 4942 Munroe is big enough to cause a mass extinction if it ever hits a planet like Earth. He lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
More about Randall Munroe...
What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions xkcd: volume 0 service pack 1 Machine of Death: A Collection of Stories About People Who Know How They Will Die (Machine of Death #1) Dinosaur Comics, fig. d: Dudes already know about chickens.

“Take wrong turns. Talk to strangers. Open unmarked doors. And if you see a group of people in a field, go find out what they are doing. Do things without always knowing how they'll turn out. You're curious and smart and bored, and all you see is the choice between working hard and slacking off. There are so many adventures that you miss because you're waiting to think of a plan. To find them, look for tiny interesting choices. And remember that you are always making up the future as you go.” 199 likes
“Sometimes I mistake this for a universe that cares.” 7 likes