Start by marking “xkcd: volume 0” as Want to Read:
xkcd: volume 0

xkcd: volume 0

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,303 Ratings  ·  213 Reviews

Published August 24th 2010 by Breadpig (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about xkcd, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about xkcd

xkcd by Randall MunroeWorm by WildbowHark! A Vagrant by Kate BeatonGunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1 by Thomas SiddellAgatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio
Best of the Web
1st out of 217 books — 265 voters
Nimona by Noelle StevensonGunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1 by Thomas SiddellHark! A Vagrant by Kate Beatonxkcd by Randall MunroeHyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh
Webcomics
4th out of 268 books — 164 voters

More lists with this book...

Sandra
While some were funny, I guess I'm not a real nerd or fangirl to appreciate and understand most of them. What If? definitely suited me better.
Evgeny
Jul 02, 2013 Evgeny rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This is a well-known web comic with stick figures. It is also a very good indicator of your geekiness. If you understand and like some of the jokes (and you need to have a university-level math and physics classes under your belt for this), you are a geek. If you understand all of the jokes, you are a super-geek. Finally, if you are able to find an xkcd comic which is related to any particular life situation, you are an uber-geek; I kid you not, I saw people doing it.

My point is the following:
Nicolas Ward
Oct 29, 2011 Nicolas Ward rated it it was amazing
This contains most of what I consider to be "classic" xkcd, in terms of the comics I remember reading, the comics that I reference outside of obvious xkcd contexts, and the comics I sometimes wear as shirts. For the most part I remembered the jokes, although a number of them were refreshers where they weren't ones I had referenced or thought of since reading through xkcd the first time.

My one complaint with the layout is that what used to be the mouseover text (a key component of xkcd's humor, a
Kathryn
Mar 04, 2011 Kathryn rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: XKCD fans
XKCD, for the uninitiated, is a webcomic "drawn" by Randall Munroe. It features primarily stick figures and typically focuses on "nerdy" topics such as science, math, science fiction, Firefly, and the like.

XKCD: Volume 0 is the first collection of XKCD strips. Munroe selected the best of XKCD from the first 500 or so comics. He added a little commentary to a few strips and included some coded messages, which I didn't bother decoding. The book will no doubt delight XKCD fans.

I used to love XKCD,
Jen
Dec 25, 2015 Jen rated it really liked it
Cute, fast read. I'm not a computer/math/physics/chemistry science "nerd", but I got a surprising amount of the jokes in this. Made me laugh AND feel smart at the same time! 4.5 stars.
Santhosh
Dec 31, 2015 Santhosh rated it really liked it
The usual xkcd mix of some brilliant, some obscure, some esoteric, some ROFL, some geeky, some thoughtful, some knowing-smiley, some disgusting, some classic, and some sexkcd.

Oh, and the book's page numbers are in Base 3, there are encrypted messages in red throughout the book, the tooltip texts are all included, and all proceeds from this book go to charity.
Philip
Jun 27, 2013 Philip rated it it was amazing
"This book is a collection of strips from xkcd, a free webcomic. I want to get that out of the way so you don't feel betrayed later when you realize you paid for a book of things that you could get for free from the Internet."

I actually got this book from the library, so don't worry about it.

Though, I may end up buying it. I love xkcd.

The book is exactly what it purports: a collection of xkcd comics in book form. Since you can all go to xkcd.com, I'm not going to write a true review of the book.
Lucy
Oct 10, 2009 Lucy rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book. And the proceeds have gone to build a school in Laos. Buy one from the xkcd Website. The NYTimes says:
"While Mr. Munroe conceded a nostalgic love of books, remembering how he devoured books of a favorite comic strip, Calvin & Hobbes, he said he is now a committed Kindle 2 user, preferring it to print. Still, he said: 'I have this urge. You want to print them out and put them up on places. There is something good about collecting them together.'"
quite!
Louis
Apr 07, 2010 Louis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fun-comedy
I love the way this book's page numbers are in Base 3, that the volume starts with 0, that the revision level is a Fibonacci series, that the annotations are included (though hard to read because they are small) and because there is encrypted messages in red throughout the book.

And I never really liked math, but I love this series.

Why buy an XKCD book when it's free on the internet?

What will you do for fun when the power goes out, the zombie apocalypse is upon you and all that's left good in the
Karissa
Jul 25, 2014 Karissa rated it really liked it
I have long been a fan of the XKCD web comic. I actually bought this book for my husband (who is also a big fan) right when it came out. I just finally sat down the other day and read it. It’s a collection of Munroe’s favorite XKCD comics. I definitely enjoyed reading it.

In the forward Munroe says he picked his favorite comics to put together in this first book. All proceeds from the book go to charity so that is pretty cool. You can read most of these comics on the web for free. However, there
Remo
El inefable xkcd sale en papel, y no puedo menos que agradecerle su dedicación comprándome un libro. Xkcd.com, para los que no lo conozcan, es un cómic mal dibujado sobre temas científicos y/o frikis, en general. El autor es físico y a veces su frikismo supera ampliamente el mío, pero otras me siento plenamente identificado y admiro el inmenso ingenio del autor.
Todas la viñetas que salen en el libro han sido publicadas previamente en la red. Lo único que añade el autor son algunos comentarios y
May-Ling
Nov 13, 2014 May-Ling rated it really liked it
it might seem weird to read a book of comics that exists on the internet, but I've only read XKCD when it's forwarded to me. so I prefer them in book form, and curated. you need to be a math junkie to get all of the jokes, but either way, most are smart and funny... especially the captions.
terpkristin
Nov 17, 2012 terpkristin rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, 2012
Randall Munroe got his degree in physics and went to work with the fine folks at NASA for a bit. He gave it all up to draw stick-figure webstrips three times a week. It was probably the best decision he could have made for himself and for geekdom. Seriously, if you haven't read xkcd and are reading this review, there's something wrong with you.

xkcd: volume 0 is a collection of most of his strips through 2008, along with some notes and puzzles he's written to go with. I got it as a part of the eb
Raj
Feb 22, 2010 Raj rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
It's XKCD, but in paper form. All the geekiness, none of the monitor eyestrain. Since the originals of some of the early strips are lost, so this isn't a straight chronological listing of strips, but a collection of Munroe's favourites. The tooltip texts are all present, usually inserted below the strip, or in between panels, and there is new stuff as well, with some being commentary on strips, some random doodles and some random-looking codes that are probably very funny if I could be bothered ...more
Melek G.
Jan 12, 2015 Melek G. rated it did not like it
I laughed twice and smiled once. That's it. I'm sorry, I like you Mr. Munroe and I'll keep following xkcd, but you could've chosen way better stuff for this book. I know you could.
Schnaucl
Mar 10, 2010 Schnaucl rated it liked it
The comics are as funny as ever but there are a few problems. Although the hover text (there may be a more technical name for it)is included, it's in unnecessarily tiny font and has inconsistent placement. Most of the time it's directly under the strip but sometimes it's between panels and more than once I really had to search for it because the font is so small it was easy to overlook.

I was also hoping for commentary with the comics. There is the occasional bit of commentary but it's very rare.
Max
Jan 13, 2016 Max rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comedy
I've been a big fan of the xkcd webcomic for a long time now, but I got xkcd volume 0 for christmas, so it was a great chance to re-read some of the old comics.

The book is, fundamentally, just a bunch of xkcd strips in printed form, but with a nice layout and comments by the author. There really isn't much of a reason to spend money on this (you get basically the same experience from the website), but it is a nice way to support the creator, Randall Munroe, and it's nice to have it on a shelf.

S
Nikki
Nov 16, 2012 Nikki rated it liked it
Shelves: humour, artwork
I'm not geek enough to understand the math/science jokes in xkcd, but I do love the Firefly reference ones, and ones that make me smile wryly like this. Obviously, if you buy this book, you're paying for something that you can find easily online and for free -- and it's only a selection, and there's no guarantee that your favourite strips are in here... Still, it's a fun retrospective of xkcd and I found a couple I'd never come across before.
James
I love this! I wish my fellow nerds in high school and I had had the chance to read this then. This is full of the kinds of humor I remember from physics class and the chess club. The page numbering is in base 3, even. I'll probably never figure out a lot of the little notations at the bottom of the pages, but that's all right. If you're a snarky, cynical nerd, this is for you.
Chris
Apr 25, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it

The artist selected personal and fan favorites from his first 600 comics. It wa

Santiago Arizti
Sep 01, 2015 Santiago Arizti rated it it was amazing
Shelves: collection, favorites
obvio me falta leerlo otra vez pero ahora intentando decifrar todas esas pistas
Ambassador
May 05, 2015 Ambassador marked it as to-read
Randall Munroe describes xkcd as a webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language. While it's practically required reading in the geek community, xkcd fans are as varied as the comic's subject matter. This book creates laughs from science jokes on one page to relationship humor on another. xkcd: volume 0 is the first book from the immensely popular webcomic with a passionate readership (just Google "xkcd meetup"). The artist selected personal and fan favorites from his first 600 comics. It was ...more
Steve Coughlan
Dec 29, 2009 Steve Coughlan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
I learned that I'm not as smart as I think... some of these cartoons go way over my head, which is good. Now I've got to do some research and learn why the ones I miss are funny.

But the vast majority I do get, and are very funny. I think my favorite is the one about gaming with death.
Alexander Little
May 07, 2016 Alexander Little rated it it was amazing
So funny and it's science!
Loved this book, discovered it by reading "What If" by the same author. I enjoyed his humour and decided to check out XKCD. Filled to the brim with science jokes and puns this quirky little book of stick figures is sure to bring a smile to your face.
Brittany
Feb 11, 2015 Brittany rated it liked it
3.5. I enjoyed xkcd comics online, and I liked them in book form as well (although I did take this out of the library), but overall I gave it a 3.5. The reasons were often the jokes about math equation or in depth programming references went over my head, however, I skipped those ones and continued on. But just not getting some of the jokes wasn't that much of a issue for me, the reason I felt that it deserved 3.5 is while obviously this book picked out the better jokes or the more interesting o ...more
Bob Hartley
May 28, 2012 Bob Hartley rated it did not like it
This appears to be the product of jealousy amongst a group of graphic artist friends, most of whom are published. That, or the creators want money for their work or some bullshit like that.
Kate
Sep 21, 2015 Kate rated it really liked it
I will be the first to admit that I am definitely not smart enough to understand all of Randall Munroe's (a guy who used to work for NASA who now draws these awesome little stick figure comics) comics but it is fun to read. You can get these online for free but, like other webcomic collections, it's nice to see them in one little space. In this case there are also little problems throughout, which once again I am not smart enough to figure out but it's just cool. Also check out the page numbers. ...more
Victor
Apr 08, 2016 Victor rated it it was amazing
Short and sweet with a lot of interesting references :) enjoyed reading this while i was sick.
John
Sep 23, 2009 John marked it as to-read
Shelves: own, humor
Got this book today -- looking forward to it!
This book in Sudamerica 1 9 Aug 31, 2012 01:08AM
  • The Most Dangerous Game: A Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal Collection
  • Epic Legends of the Magic Sword Kings (Penny Arcade, #2)
  • Signal to Noise
  • Questionable Content, Vol. 1
  • Cyanide and Happiness
  • The Perry Bible Fellowship Almanack
  • Invasion (The Secret World Chronicles #1)
  • Dungeon Crawlin' Fools (The Order of the Stick, #1)
  • Oglaf Book One
  • Girls with Slingshots, Vol. 1

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Randall Munroe, a former NASA roboticist, is the creator of the webcomic xkcd and the author of xkcd: volume 0. The International Astronomical Union recently named an asteroid after him; asteroid 4942 Munroe is big enough to cause a mass extinction if it ever hits a planet like Earth. He lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
More about Randall Munroe...

“Take wrong turns. Talk to strangers. Open unmarked doors. And if you see a group of people in a field, go find out what they are doing. Do things without always knowing how they'll turn out. You're curious and smart and bored, and all you see is the choice between working hard and slacking off. There are so many adventures that you miss because you're waiting to think of a plan. To find them, look for tiny interesting choices. And remember that you are always making up the future as you go.” 273 likes
“Sometimes I mistake this for a universe that cares.” 15 likes