Start by marking “xkcd: volume 0” as Want to Read:
xkcd: volume 0

xkcd: volume 0

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  4,704 ratings  ·  183 reviews

Published August 24th 2010 by Breadpig (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about xkcd, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about xkcd

xkcd by Randall MunroeHark! A Vagrant by Kate BeatonWorm by WildbowGunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1 by Thomas SiddellGirl Genius, Vol. 1 by Phil Foglio
Best of the Web
1st out of 202 books — 231 voters
Nimona by Noelle StevensonGunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1 by Thomas SiddellHark! A Vagrant by Kate Beatonxkcd by Randall MunroeGirl Genius, Vol. 1 by Phil Foglio
4th out of 225 books — 127 voters

More lists with this book...

I am the coauthor of a peer-reviewed conference paper which cites an xkcd cartoon.
This is a well-known web comic with stick figures. It is also a very good indicator of your geekiness. If you understand and like some of the jokes (and you need to have a university-level math and physics classes under your belt for this), you are a geek. If you understand all of the jokes, you are a super-geek. Finally, if you are able to find an xkcd comic which is related to any particular life situation, you are an uber-geek; I kid you not, I saw people doing it.

My point is the following:
Nicolas Ward
This contains most of what I consider to be "classic" xkcd, in terms of the comics I remember reading, the comics that I reference outside of obvious xkcd contexts, and the comics I sometimes wear as shirts. For the most part I remembered the jokes, although a number of them were refreshers where they weren't ones I had referenced or thought of since reading through xkcd the first time.

My one complaint with the layout is that what used to be the mouseover text (a key component of xkcd's humor, a
Mar 04, 2011 Kathryn rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: XKCD fans
XKCD, for the uninitiated, is a webcomic "drawn" by Randall Munroe. It features primarily stick figures and typically focuses on "nerdy" topics such as science, math, science fiction, Firefly, and the like.

XKCD: Volume 0 is the first collection of XKCD strips. Munroe selected the best of XKCD from the first 500 or so comics. He added a little commentary to a few strips and included some coded messages, which I didn't bother decoding. The book will no doubt delight XKCD fans.

I used to love XKCD,
I got copy 74/256.
"This book is a collection of strips from xkcd, a free webcomic. I want to get that out of the way so you don't feel betrayed later when you realize you paid for a book of things that you could get for free from the Internet."

I actually got this book from the library, so don't worry about it.

Though, I may end up buying it. I love xkcd.

The book is exactly what it purports: a collection of xkcd comics in book form. Since you can all go to, I'm not going to write a true review of the book.
Beautiful book. And the proceeds have gone to build a school in Laos. Buy one from the xkcd Website. The NYTimes says:
"While Mr. Munroe conceded a nostalgic love of books, remembering how he devoured books of a favorite comic strip, Calvin & Hobbes, he said he is now a committed Kindle 2 user, preferring it to print. Still, he said: 'I have this urge. You want to print them out and put them up on places. There is something good about collecting them together.'"
I love the way this book's page numbers are in Base 3, that the volume starts with 0, that the revision level is a Fibonacci series, that the annotations are included (though hard to read because they are small) and because there is encrypted messages in red throughout the book.

And I never really liked math, but I love this series.

Why buy an XKCD book when it's free on the internet?

What will you do for fun when the power goes out, the zombie apocalypse is upon you and all that's left good in the
El inefable xkcd sale en papel, y no puedo menos que agradecerle su dedicación comprándome un libro., para los que no lo conozcan, es un cómic mal dibujado sobre temas científicos y/o frikis, en general. El autor es físico y a veces su frikismo supera ampliamente el mío, pero otras me siento plenamente identificado y admiro el inmenso ingenio del autor.
Todas la viñetas que salen en el libro han sido publicadas previamente en la red. Lo único que añade el autor son algunos comentarios y
it might seem weird to read a book of comics that exists on the internet, but I've only read XKCD when it's forwarded to me. so I prefer them in book form, and curated. you need to be a math junkie to get all of the jokes, but either way, most are smart and funny... especially the captions.
Randall Munroe got his degree in physics and went to work with the fine folks at NASA for a bit. He gave it all up to draw stick-figure webstrips three times a week. It was probably the best decision he could have made for himself and for geekdom. Seriously, if you haven't read xkcd and are reading this review, there's something wrong with you.

xkcd: volume 0 is a collection of most of his strips through 2008, along with some notes and puzzles he's written to go with. I got it as a part of the eb
It's XKCD, but in paper form. All the geekiness, none of the monitor eyestrain. Since the originals of some of the early strips are lost, so this isn't a straight chronological listing of strips, but a collection of Munroe's favourites. The tooltip texts are all present, usually inserted below the strip, or in between panels, and there is new stuff as well, with some being commentary on strips, some random doodles and some random-looking codes that are probably very funny if I could be bothered ...more
Melek G.
I laughed twice and smiled once. That's it. I'm sorry, I like you Mr. Munroe and I'll keep following xkcd, but you could've chosen way better stuff for this book. I know you could.
The comics are as funny as ever but there are a few problems. Although the hover text (there may be a more technical name for it)is included, it's in unnecessarily tiny font and has inconsistent placement. Most of the time it's directly under the strip but sometimes it's between panels and more than once I really had to search for it because the font is so small it was easy to overlook.

I was also hoping for commentary with the comics. There is the occasional bit of commentary but it's very rare.
I have long been a fan of the XKCD web comic. I actually bought this book for my husband (who is also a big fan) right when it came out. I just finally sat down the other day and read it. It’s a collection of Munroe’s favorite XKCD comics. I definitely enjoyed reading it.

In the forward Munroe says he picked his favorite comics to put together in this first book. All proceeds from the book go to charity so that is pretty cool. You can read most of these comics on the web for free. However, there
Artiom Karsiuk
So my self-esteem didn't thank me for reading this book...
I had an idea that it was pretty geeky and knew that xkcd are not your ordinary comics, but comics for people farther on the smart spectrum. Yet, somehow I was naive enough to think that few things here could go over my head. In retrospect, I think I was channeling my inner Drax the Destroyer.
:| was my face expression for more or less 50% of the book and, yes, it was somewhat humiliating. At one point I almost felt like this was all an el
I'm not geek enough to understand the math/science jokes in xkcd, but I do love the Firefly reference ones, and ones that make me smile wryly like this. Obviously, if you buy this book, you're paying for something that you can find easily online and for free -- and it's only a selection, and there's no guarantee that your favourite strips are in here... Still, it's a fun retrospective of xkcd and I found a couple I'd never come across before.
I love this! I wish my fellow nerds in high school and I had had the chance to read this then. This is full of the kinds of humor I remember from physics class and the chess club. The page numbering is in base 3, even. I'll probably never figure out a lot of the little notations at the bottom of the pages, but that's all right. If you're a snarky, cynical nerd, this is for you.

The artist selected personal and fan favorites from his first 600 comics. It wa

Santiago Arizti
obvio me falta leerlo otra vez pero ahora intentando decifrar todas esas pistas
May 05, 2015 Ambassador marked it as to-read
Randall Munroe describes xkcd as a webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language. While it's practically required reading in the geek community, xkcd fans are as varied as the comic's subject matter. This book creates laughs from science jokes on one page to relationship humor on another. xkcd: volume 0 is the first book from the immensely popular webcomic with a passionate readership (just Google "xkcd meetup"). The artist selected personal and fan favorites from his first 600 comics. It was ...more
Steve Coughlan
I learned that I'm not as smart as I think... some of these cartoons go way over my head, which is good. Now I've got to do some research and learn why the ones I miss are funny.

But the vast majority I do get, and are very funny. I think my favorite is the one about gaming with death.
3.5. I enjoyed xkcd comics online, and I liked them in book form as well (although I did take this out of the library), but overall I gave it a 3.5. The reasons were often the jokes about math equation or in depth programming references went over my head, however, I skipped those ones and continued on. But just not getting some of the jokes wasn't that much of a issue for me, the reason I felt that it deserved 3.5 is while obviously this book picked out the better jokes or the more interesting o ...more
Bob Hartley
This appears to be the product of jealousy amongst a group of graphic artist friends, most of whom are published. That, or the creators want money for their work or some bullshit like that.
I will be the first to admit that I am definitely not smart enough to understand all of Randall Munroe's (a guy who used to work for NASA who now draws these awesome little stick figure comics) comics but it is fun to read. You can get these online for free but, like other webcomic collections, it's nice to see them in one little space. In this case there are also little problems throughout, which once again I am not smart enough to figure out but it's just cool. Also check out the page numbers. ...more
Sep 23, 2009 John marked it as to-read
Shelves: humor, own
Got this book today -- looking forward to it!
Dimitris Hall
xkcd is one of my favourite web comics. Not that I'm following a whole lot of others; it's just on the top of a smallish stack. That said, the humour can be very hit or miss depending on the reader's mastery of the niche subject in question each time. The über math geek jokes fly right over my head but every so often I might be able to understand some of the not-too-obvious computer/internet or somewhat less specific science jokes. This can be very gratifying, therefore I think I can envision th ...more
I've been a big fan of xkcd for a couple of years now, and I still follow it's updates. Ever since the book was released, it's been on my "to buy" list.

For some people, buying a book of content that's already available for free on the internet seems insane. But it's worth it, to have a hard copy of the book, one you can pick up and read at any time. It's nice to have this collection on my book shelf.

That's not to say I don't have a couple of criticisms for the book; it's irregular size makes it
A selection of some of the best comics--they did manage to pick a few that were my personal favorites as well.

I'm glad they included the hovertext--often they are like the third panel of the comic. Since Cynthia already warned me about the hovertexts being ultra-tiny text hidden in random places, I didn't care when I read the comics. Possibly if I had not been forewarned, I would have been annoyed.

An odd side effect of reading xkcd: I love some of the comics--especially ones referencing sociol
Oh XKCD, how do I love thee? Well, for a start I have several framed XKCD cartoons hanging around the house, more as simple printouts on the fridge, the app on my iPhone and this gorgeous book of xkcd-osity on my bookshelves. It's the most intelligent and funniest cartoon out there today, where deep thought collides with blissful silliness and astonishingly expressive stick figures act it all out for us. I love it to bits and this book is great both as a treat for us fans and as a way to introdu ...more
This book in Sudamerica 1 8 Aug 31, 2012 01:08AM
  • The Most Dangerous Game: A Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal Collection
  • Epic Legends of the Magic Sword Kings (Penny Arcade, #2)
  • Signal to Noise
  • Questionable Content, Vol. 1
  • Invasion (The Secret World Chronicles #1)
  • Cyanide and Happiness
  • The Perry Bible Fellowship Almanack
  • On the Origin of PCs (The Order of the Stick, #0)
  • Oglaf Book One
  • Girls with Slingshots, Vol. 1
  • Never Learn Anything From History
  • Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 3: Reason (Gunnerkrigg Court #3)
Randall Munroe, a former NASA roboticist, is the creator of the webcomic xkcd and the author of xkcd: volume 0. The International Astronomical Union recently named an asteroid after him; asteroid 4942 Munroe is big enough to cause a mass extinction if it ever hits a planet like Earth. He lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
More about Randall Munroe...
What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions Thing Explainer: Complicated Stuff in Simple Words xkcd: Time Machine of Death: A Collection of Stories About People Who Know How They Will Die (Machine of Death #1) Dinosaur Comics, fig. d: Dudes already know about chickens.

“Take wrong turns. Talk to strangers. Open unmarked doors. And if you see a group of people in a field, go find out what they are doing. Do things without always knowing how they'll turn out. You're curious and smart and bored, and all you see is the choice between working hard and slacking off. There are so many adventures that you miss because you're waiting to think of a plan. To find them, look for tiny interesting choices. And remember that you are always making up the future as you go.” 244 likes
“Sometimes I mistake this for a universe that cares.” 10 likes