Start by marking “I'm Dreaming of a Green Christmas: Gifts, Decorations, and Recipes that Use Less and Mean More” as Want to Read:

3.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  30 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
This holiday season, Anna Gettyenvironmental advocate, writer, television personality, chef, mother, and organic living experthelps families reduce their carbon footprint and save money without sacrificing style or tradition. Anna advises how to best choose a tree (real or fake?), mitigate the negative effects of necessary travel, recycle post-holiday, and more. She shares ...more
Published September 30th 2009 by Chronicle Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about I'm Dreaming of a Green Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Dreaming of a Green Christmas

Kyla
Dec 14, 2009 Kyla rated it it was ok
Another pick-up from the library that prompts the question: why are books about "green" lifestyles so very lame? Decorations made out of used tea bags painted with gold tempera paint? Really? Truffled goat cheese macaroni and cheese, how is that "green" exactly? Recycled cashmere pillows? Pomegranate antioxidant cocktail? Sigh. Every once in awhile there's a reasonable tip, like buy 2nd hand toys for your kid but hey, I already do that.I guess it's good for people who aren't already cheap and re ...more
Jan 06, 2016 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Beautiful photographs and a few unique ideas for holiday festivities involving less electricity, retail, and frantic-ness. The layout was a bit baffling to me though, with recipes scattered throughout every section instead of gathered up into one place. The 5 areas covered are:
1. Nesting (aka decorating your home)
2. Entertaining
3. Trimming (all things related to the tree)
4. Giving
5. Reflecting (including ways to recycle and compost after the holiday)

The recipes all look really yummy. And even th
Ana Mardoll
Mar 01, 2011 Ana Mardoll rated it really liked it
Shelves: ana-reviewed
I'm Dreaming of a Green Christmas / 978-0-8118-6767-2

This collection contains a little bit of everything for Christmas - crafts, decorating ideas, and recipes - all overlaid with a lot of good green advice. Whether or not it's worth the price of admission, however, is going to be up to the reader - I enjoyed this book immensely, but it's admittedly not flawless.

The recipes scattered throughout this book are probably the least green facet of this book - as delicious as "Truffled Goat Cheese Macar
Margery
Mar 11, 2010 Margery rated it it was ok
Too many old ideas - carving a design into a halved raw potato and using it to stamp brown paper bags for wrapping paper - that was in my Brownie Handbook in the 1950's. So, I'm too old for most of the clever suggestions. The six page directory of websites was the most interesting feature of the book. They are eco-friendly/organic/locavore/recyle/green/alternative/biodegradable... did you know you can rent a live Christmas tree in Portland , OR and the service includes delivery and pick-up?
MistyinCLE
Nov 19, 2011 MistyinCLE rated it did not like it
The only thing I found clever in this book was the title. The environmental information is the same as most green books I have read and I thought the craft/gift ideas to be boring. I doubt any child will want to find bottle cap magnets as their gift this Christmas. The most disappointing aspect is that on every decorating idea was something that required store bought ribbon/beads/glue. There are much better green books out there.
Nicole
Oct 15, 2011 Nicole rated it really liked it
Christmas is my favorite time of year, so I like planning ahead. This book contains a little bit of everything on how to have a "green" Christmas by using less waste. There are some great ideas for decorations, entertaining, gifts, as well as some yummy recipes. I think I will definitely be giving the chai hot cocoa and apple, cranberry, and brie quesadillas a try!
Scottsdale Public Library
The author offers many ideas for decorations, food, and kid-friendly activities for the holidays that celebrate the season, while being less wasteful and better for the environment. The artichoke dip, salt dough ornaments, and the hefty resource guide were my favorite parts of this book!

-Kelly M.H.
Vanessa
Dec 02, 2009 Vanessa rated it really liked it
Fairly simple craft ideas, unique recipes (the Chai Hot Cocoa sounds delicious), and lots of expert advice on how to create a more environmentally-friendly holiday. It may inspire you to get into a festive mood and try something new.
Abbey
Apr 07, 2016 Abbey rated it did not like it
Not really worth reading. The only good idea I found was to take Christmas cookie cutters and use them to trace gift tags from last year's Christmas cards. That sounds like a cute way to recycle.
Jenne
Feb 18, 2011 Jenne rated it it was ok
This book had me until the decorated used tea bags - yeah, that's taking green to the extreme....
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Mary Compton
Mary Compton marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Jean Chalupsky
Jean Chalupsky rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Lisa Kelsey
Lisa Kelsey marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
MJ
MJ rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2015
Katie Swick
Katie Swick rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2015
Keri
Keri rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2015
Fern
Fern marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it did not like it
Nov 12, 2014
Fairlee Corkran
Fairlee Corkran marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Meg Dean
Meg Dean marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
K
K marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
May 28, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2013
Pinky
Pinky rated it it was ok
Dec 24, 2013
Sherri Morgan
Sherri Morgan marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Kayla
Kayla rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2013
Chrissie
Chrissie marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013