Start by marking “Sleep, Baby, Sleep” as Want to Read:
Sleep, Baby, Sleep

Sleep, Baby, Sleep

If a parent could vocalize all her deepest hopes for her child, this is what she might say...

Every parent has hopes and dreams for their children? that they will play and explore, learn and grow. That they will experience life's many wonders and persevere through its many challenges. That they will one day leave the protection of home and go off into the world'strong, hap

Published October 29th 2009 by Philomel (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sleep, Baby, Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleep, Baby, Sleep

Kimberly
Way over my kiddo's head, but I love reading it to him.
Caroline Daniel
Sep 15, 2016 Caroline Daniel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-4050
• Sleep, Baby, Sleep
o Summary: This book is based off Mother Goose. It is like a lullaby that you would read for a child. It has a lot of hidden inspiration that I believe would make a child feel good about themselves. The first little poem is talking about being sweet. The second poem is talking about being brave. The third poem is about adventuring out but know your way back home. The poems continue to be inspirational and give advice throughout the rest of the book.
o Grade level: 1st- 3rd
o Ap
Rosa Cline
Jun 18, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rosa by: Dolly Parton Imagination Library
This is a very sweet bedtime-reminder we love you type book. Would be perfect for a baby shower gift! My 2 year old granddaughter has enjoyed it since she received it as a 11 mth old from her monthly Dolly Parton Imagination Library books. The illustrations are soft and gentle (not to over stimulating) the verses are gentle and very touching. Many various animals involved with the story on each page. Adorable book
Marie
Feb 03, 2010 Marie rated it really liked it
The language in this book is lovely, though the concepts are beyond a child to understand. This would be a wonderful book to share with a child on your lap.

I'm considering using it with my babies & tots but singing the first line, the 2nd line, and then skipping to the 5th line. We'll see how that goes.
The Library Lady
Dec 16, 2009 The Library Lady rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The art is lovely. I don't recognize the Mother Goose rhyme cited, but the words fit the German cradle song that translates to: "Sleep, little one sleep. Your daddy tends the sheep..."

Used with the tune, this might work as a bedtime book. But some of the verses are more in touch with concepts a parent would understand rather than a baby or toddler, which diminishes its child appeal.
Amanda Fletcher
Dec 22, 2012 Amanda Fletcher rated it it was amazing
I read this to my 6 month old at bedtime and she sat spellbound. Great rhythm and rhymes. I loved the message of each verse and had tears at the end. I want to keep reading her this book as she grows and understands more of the content.
Tricia
Nov 28, 2009 Tricia rated it liked it
This book reads like a lullaby with repeating lines setting a calm tone for the verse. Excellent bedtime book for birth through preschool...repeated readings of this title will add to the child's enjoyment.
Allison
Mar 08, 2010 Allison rated it really liked it
A beautiful book that expands upon the original "Sleep, Baby, Sleep" lullabye. My only complaint is that it doesn't include any inkling that it is a song, so you would have to know that yourself if you wanted to use it that way.
Emily Webb
Aug 26, 2013 Emily Webb rated it it was amazing
My daughter is 19 months, she can't get enough of this book! She knows the animals on every page and she knows the word associated with the page. We read it before naps and bedtime. It is a great book of encouragement and love for your little ones!
Jim
Mar 11, 2010 Jim rated it it was amazing
This quiet, gentle bedtime book will be a favorite of kids at bedtime. The quiet text is rendered in gorgeous watercolor and line art by Maria van Lieshout, whose little book series (Bloom, Peep, and Splash) are favorites at our house. A fine book your kids will love.
Ttonistown
Oct 01, 2014 Ttonistown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful story!
Michelle
Jan 29, 2010 Michelle rated it liked it
This is a picture book that has adult appeal and not so much kid appeal.
Class 305
Feb 04, 2013 Class 305 rated it really liked it
Nice poem.
Heather
Jun 03, 2012 Heather rated it it was ok
Inspired by the rhymes of mother goose, the author creates a story in rhyme encouraging babies to sleep, dream, laugh, and grow.

The rhymes are awkward at points upsetting the flow.
Sherri
Jul 29, 2010 Sherri rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
Pre-school appropriate. Lovely illustrations. Phonological awareness.
Alicia Scully
A good bedtime story, filled with lullaby-like language. It also coveys the love from parent to child through its rhymes that children will find wonderful.
Marisa
Dec 09, 2009 Marisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book is clearly written for the grown up, not the kid, but I like it anyway.
Kristin Schmidt
Aug 25, 2014 Kristin Schmidt rated it it was amazing
A very lovely book. A sweet & soothing bedtime story.:)
Megan
Aug 07, 2013 Megan rated it really liked it
Recommended to Megan by: Mom
Shelves: kid, fiction, own, 2013, tripp
So sweet!
Boni
Dec 22, 2009 Boni rated it really liked it
While this book is obviously aimed at the sentimental parent more than the child, I love the artwork and it's a soothing read-aloud.
Prplpckl
Apr 03, 2013 Prplpckl rated it liked it
Shelves: read-with-anabel
A sweet night time rhyme with interesting watercolor pictures.
Jillian
Mar 09, 2015 Jillian rated it it was amazing
This is a favorite book that we regularly sing before bed. Some of the rhymes may trip up the tongue, but if you know the tune of the song, the cadence makes sense after a few reads.
Jennessa
Mar 07, 2013 Jennessa rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book, I absolutely loved reading it to my kids.
Zaidee
Nov 20, 2012 Zaidee rated it really liked it
Sweet book going through different animals and characteristics of each and Z is LOVING.
Sherri
Dec 08, 2013 Sherri rated it it was amazing
Such an adorable bedtime book. I love reading this to my kids.
PWRL
Jan 30, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Valerie
Shorten for storyime read - removing a few of the rhyming passages.
Rachel
Feb 12, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite enjoyed this book. I used it for a story time for birth to three-year-olds. It was a bit difficult to read to a group. I recommend this book, but not for a story time.
Rachel
cute kids story
Rae Bailey
Jul 07, 2016 Rae Bailey rated it it was ok
Cute book but my son didn't like it and wouldn't sit through a whole reading.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Pretend
  • My Farm Friends
  • Meet Me at the Moon
  • I Am a Rainbow

“Shine, baby, shine, be graceful child of mine. Be like the firefly who glows no matter how the darkness grows. Shine, baby, shine” 1 likes
“Sleep, baby, sleep. Our promises we'll keep. Be the miracle you are, a wish come true on a shooting star. Sleep, baby, sleep.” 0 likes