Start by marking “Cover Me (Men of Smithfield, #2)” as Want to Read:
Cover Me (Men of Smithfield, #2)

Cover Me (Men of Smithfield #2)

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  1,248 Ratings  ·  135 Reviews
Alternate title: "Max and Finn"

Lax.

That was the initial conclusion enigmatic security specialist Max Douglas had drawn of Michael “Finn” Finnegan—Dalton Prep’s beloved English teacher. When Max arrives at Smithfield’s exclusive boarding school to protect a high profile student against a mysterious stalker, he’s hell bent on enforcing his style of leadership on students and
Published October 2nd 2009 by Aspen Mountain Press

To ask other readers questions about Cover Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cover Me

Zero at the Bone by Jane SevilleTigers and Devils by Sean KennedyThe Dark Tide by Josh LanyonLove & Loyalty by Tere MichaelsWarrior's Cross by Madeleine Urban
Best M/M Romance Published in 2009
51st out of 196 books — 412 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxThe Dark Tide by Josh LanyonZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleDeath of a Pirate King by Josh LanyonFatal Shadows / A Dangerous Thing by Josh Lanyon
Best Gay Mystery
137th out of 596 books — 594 voters

More lists with this book...

Ingela
Written November 19, 2014

3.6 Stars - Bold, yummy hot, light suspense and chuckling fun. - What more could a smut-girl want?

Book #2

This was the second 'stand-alone' novella audio (5 hrs) in the Men of Smithfield series I listened to this week. I really enjoyed the first Smithfield M/M story, #1 - Mark and Tony (3.3 stars) and started this second as soon as I managed.

An autumn tale, it's Halloween time
...and wacky enough, I heard warm tropical rain splash here (in Thailand), sitting on a hotel b
Catherine
I'm having a hard time figuring out how to rate this book; there were parts of it that made me really, REALLY angry on behalf of one of the characters, there were parts that were completely entertaining, and then there were parts that were incredibly sweet and fluffy but bewildering at the time time.

I'm just going to put this out there: Max is a complete and total asshat. For 75% of the book, he's the worst kind of Robocop - he's judgmental and arrogant and wholly insensitive to those around him
Breann
3.5 hearts

Pure entertainment.

Between L.B. Gregg's humorous writing style and Shannon Gunn's ...erhm... enthusiastic narrating, I found my self laughing more often than not. I know that was L.B. Gregg's intention in her writing, but was that Shannon Gunn's intention with the narrating? I'm not sure, but I found him to be freaking hilarious.

It all starts when Finn decides he likes the older brother of the boy he's tutoring. What's the next, logical step in a situation such as this?

Step 1: Go to c
Tiya Rosa
Aug 14, 2012 Tiya Rosa rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, asshole-mc

I didn't want to rate an L.B. Gregg book a 2.5, but this just didn't work for me. It was still undeniably well written and there were no eye rolling or Kindle cursing involved, but a lot of how shit went down just didn't sit well with me.

First the mystery. There wasn't any. You get to figure out who was going to be the culprit even before you reach Chapter 3. He was practically wearing a 'disturbed and has a future in serial killing' sign around his neck.

The romance. It wasn't convinci
Amy
May 14, 2015 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible-finished
I really liked Finn but Max was kind of a douche. He redeemed himself in the end, but he wasn't very likeable for most of the story. I enjoyed seeing officer Tony from the first book :) On to book #3...
Chilli
Aug 11, 2014 Chilli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well narrated. Each appear to be stand alone and have minimal character overlap should you accidentally read them out of order (like I did). The characters are strong, so to the story line, despite the shortness of each book. Nice quickies!
Lena♥Ribka

Audible

3,5 stars.

I liked this one a tiny bit too less than the first book, but it is my personal feeling. The series tells always different love stories and the pair constellation, their previous history(if there is one), the social background in every book is just a matter of taste. You can read every book as a standalone. But why should I?
A security specialist and a English teacher. Sounds perfect. And it was not bad. But not very memorable. I also didn't find the narrating of Shannon Gunn as
Arthur
1.5 star

The main character's name should be changed into Fionna, instead of Finn. In fact, that's what I'm going to do with this chick with a dick story.

(view spoiler)
Susan65
Mar 07, 2013 Susan65 rated it liked it
Ended well but the first sixty percent I thought Max was an asshole and Finn was a doormat. The last part of the book it was like Max became a different person, the transition was shocking and abrupt.

Unfortunately, the mystery was too obvious and i just couldn't find a connection with the guys.

On a good note, there are lots of funny parts that made me chuckle.

I like the series so i will just chalk this up to a " you can't please everyone, all the time" and move on to book four.
Camille
May 21, 2013 Camille rated it it was ok
I found this to be somewhat flimsy insomuch as the bones of the intended narrative were barely covered. This goes for the mystery and the cliche romance.

Also Shannon Gunn seems only able to utilise a sarcastic or an acerbic tone.

It was just okay. Nothing terribly special.
ttg
Jun 22, 2014 ttg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars - This is part of Gregg's Men of Smithfield series, but like the others, is a stand-alone story. This time focusing on Michael "Finn" Finnegan who teaches at a posh prep school in Smithfield and whose routine is upended when security expert Max comes to campus to guard a student from a stalker. Unfortunately for Finn's case, Max was also a one-time fling from the summer before that had ended badly. So now he's juggling his mixed feelings for seeing hot Max again along with the needs fo ...more
Erotic Horizon
Oct 07, 2009 Erotic Horizon rated it really liked it
4.25 Stars

When Michael “Finn” Finnegan is fired by security specialist Max Douglas under less than ideal circumstance, he had no idea that a few months later they would be sharing rooms in the same boys dorm.

Finn a drama teacher in a private prep school takes his job as seriously as any teacher would who happen to be responsibly for a bunch of boys. With little to break up their days Finn and the boys gets on like a house and fire, so when he finds out one evening that his nemesis Max Douglas w
Nic
Jun 02, 2013 Nic rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, series, zz-amazon-yes
This was an enjoyable story with the same feel as the previous books in the series. There is mystery and a lot of humour in the telling of the tale.

I liked both the main characters and the sex was hot. I usually like more romance in my books but with this series, I read more for the other elements rather than the romance - it's not hearts and flowers.

It was really interesting to read this book after listening to the audio version of the first two books in the series. I actually heard the narrat
Elyxyz
May 05, 2016 Elyxyz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Premettendo che non ho letto il primo volume di questa saga, posso dire che questo secondo capitolo è perfettamente godibile lo stesso. Tra l’altro, Tony – il precedente protagonista – fa giusto una comparsata veloce, niente di troppo importante.
Che dire della storia?
Comincio col fatto che è arduo amare un libro quando passi metà del tempo desiderando di prendere a ceffoni il coprotagonista, perché il comportamento di Max mi ha fatto proprio desiderare uno sfogo per buona parte della storia. L’a
Deeze
Apr 30, 2013 Deeze rated it liked it
Another easy read in this series.

The mystery story worked well for me. I had an idea of who it was, but was never certain until the end. (I’m sure others wont be as unsure lol).

As for Michael and Max, I’m afraid I just didn’t feel any emotional connection between them, just a mutual sexual attraction.

I seem to be following a pattern in these books of liking one MC but disliking the other. Maybe its just the whole D/s feel to them.
Elizabetta

Lawdy. The opening chapter sex-in-the-office scene is steamy hawt. It’s an awkward beginning for Max and Finn, though. Then, a mystery stalker at the elite boarding school where Finn teaches takes over and things get a bit hairy. Lucky for him, Max, a security expert and ex-Marine, is put on the case to sort things out. (And Tony from book one makes a short appearance.)

This was a entertaining read. There is an ease to the writing, nicely laced with humor and snark. Oh… I’m talking about
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Jun 21, 2014 Jennifer☠Pher☠ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Max was a dick and then he wasn't. Finn made me smile. I'm gonna keep going.
Maarja
While the mystery part of this book was quite interesting (although I figured out the point much sooner than the MC), I did not enjoy the rest. Maybe it was because the book started when the MCs already knew each other, but I couldn't feel the attraction between them - they seemed to have so different world views and, apart from the lust, I didn't get why Finn liked Max and vice versa (Max did explain it a bit at some point, but why would he value the free spirit in Finn when he didn't want some ...more
ttg
Feb 25, 2013 ttg rated it really liked it
3.5 stars – This is part of Gregg’s Men of Smithfield series, but like the others, is a stand-alone story. This time focusing on Michael “Finn” Finnegan who teaches at a posh prep school in Smithfield and whose routine is upended when security expert Max comes to campus to guard a student from a stalker. Unfortunately for Finn’s case, Max was also a one-time fling from the summer before that had ended badly. So now he’s juggling his mixed feelings for seeing hot Max again along with the needs fo ...more
Katie(babs)
Oct 20, 2009 Katie(babs) rated it liked it
Cover Me is the third book in LB Gregg’s Men of Smithfield series. I found the past two books by this author, Gobsmacked and Happy Endings, to be fun and light reads. Cover Me still has some light moments but LB has also written a great suspense mystery in between the pages. If you were a fan of LB’s other books, you will feel the same with Cover Me.

Michael Finnegan is a teacher at the Dalton Boarding School. Over the summer he tutors to make some extra money. He’s having a hard time with Kyle D
Nik
Well color me disappointed. I really thought the first one was funny and cute. I liked Finn/Mikey well enough but Max I wanted to junk punch for being such a prick one second and then a playful guy the next. Dude. WTF?! I didn't buy the authors rationale of the whole "I'm working" sorry...there's a difference between professional and grade A asswipe. The mystery was sorta...mystery-ish, better than book 1 (Mark and Tony) I thought but the romance seemed a little secondary to all the other going ...more
Walford
Fun! Pleasing. Inconsequential but addictive. On I go with this series. Very glad to have found Ms Gregg! Thank you.
KatieMc
Nov 20, 2015 KatieMc rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Ex marine turned security professional and a boarding school teacher have the common mission to keep a student with a high profile parent safe. Good set-up, good chemistry, ok who-done-it. I like this series.
Cindi
Nov 23, 2012 Cindi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, series, 2012, on-blog
This is my favorite in the Men in Smithfield series so far. Granted, I was not a big fan of either of the main characters but the story more than made up for it. There is mystery, danger and violence... with a bit of sex thrown in. Good story.

A great addition to the series.

Full review can be found at On Top Down Under Book Reviews.
Susan
Nov 09, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Book 2: Max & Finn - 3.5 stars

SERIES REVIEW HERE: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Shirley Frances
Nov 06, 2012 Shirley Frances rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-read, mm-series, 2012
This was a surprisingly great book filled with banter, mystery, great dialog and sizzling chemistry. What more could I ask for?

Michael "Finn" Finnegan is a drama teacher at a prep school who has been hurt by love in the past and is skeptical of ever find it again. Then he meets Max Douglas and he finds himself having lustful thoughts and throwing himself at him. He is attracted to Max on the spot but after they had their first encounter he questions his impulsiveness, but goes on with his life n
DaisyGirl
3.0 Stars

Max Douglas is an ex-Marine security specialist and all-around burly a$$hole. Michael Finn is a teacher and dorm adviser at Dalton Prep High School. Finn has the hots for Max and is tutoring his much younger brother. One night, he throws caution to the wind and seduces Max. They have wild, hot, crazy sex in Max’s office but afterward, Max fires Finn as his brother’s tutor. Mortified, Finn runs out and avoids Max for months.

When a high-profile parent hires Max as a bodyguard for his teen
Jimmy Hanson
May 30, 2010 Jimmy Hanson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010, m-m
Finally! A "Men of Smithfield" novel with real emotion between the characters!! *dances happily*

Now, that that's out of the way ... Michael/Mikey/Finn [everyone has their own name for him - it's kind of funny:] is a charming character with just enough kick and snap to balance out his more subdued tendencies. Max comes off detached, separated, and yet there are hints here and there of who he really is. So by the time he [as HE stated:] was "not working" the startling change in personality isn't s
Candice
Aug 11, 2013 Candice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, m-m
So, I liked this.

I like the big softy Max became. However, he was too much of a hard ass for most of the book. The two MC's could barely stand each other, but they had hot sex. Is that enough for a budding romance? I wanted to kick Max's ass a lot for the condescending tone he used on Finn. Why was Max better than Finn? I wish they talked more and not about the kids/school/work. I don't get their relationship.

The mystery was good, but it out early on.

I seem to not really care for this series, bu
  • Don't Look Back
  • Camp Hell (PsyCop #5)
  • Deadly Dreams (Deadly Mystery, #3)
  • His For The Holidays
  • Hide Out (Private Dicks, #2)
LB Gregg (Lisabea) writes fun, fast-paced contemporary male/male romances for a variety of publishers including Riptide, Samhain, and Carina Press. Her wildly successful Men of Smithfield books feature hot, hunky men looking for love in small town New England. Find more information about LB, The Men of Smithfield, and her fun series Romano and Albright at www.lbgregg.com.

You can also friend LB on
More about L.B. Gregg...

Men of Smithfield (5 books)
  • Mark and Tony (Men of Smithfield #1)
  • Seth and David (Men of Smithfield, #3)
  • In and Out (Men of Smithfield, #4)
  • Sam and Aaron (Men of Smithfield, #5)