Start by marking “Dead Certain (Dead #2; John Mancini #4)” as Want to Read:
Dead Certain (Dead #2; John Mancini #4)

Dead Certain (Dead #2)

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  2,410 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Three devious prisoners vow murderous revenge. Now the second is free.
With her stalker captured, antiques dealer Amanda Crosby can finally sleep at night. Having worked hard to put the nightmare behind her, Amanda has vowed to never be a victim again. But when her business partner, Derek England, is found with a bullet through the back of his head just hours after she left
Published June 29th 2004 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Certain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Certain

Anita
Being that I was reeled into this series due to the premise and the summary blurbs, I decided to give Mariah Stewart’s Dead series a second chance to appeal to me. The first book didn’t do well. Knowing what to expect, I adjusted my mindset a little bit and went into Dead Certain with other expectations (which, I admit, may not be very fair to Dead Wrong, but that’s how I roll).

I’m not certain that the read was a much better experience than I had had with the first book, but it was definitely a
Anna Mcfadden
on one faithful day 3 devious prisoners vow murderous revenge. Now the second is free.

Amanda Crosby thought is was safe to get on with her life when her stalker was sent in prision. when her business partner is found dead by a shot through the back of his head just hours after she left an incriminating message on his voice mail, Amanda finds herself in danger of being accuse of the murder when all the evidence points to Amanda as Derek's killer,
Chief of Police Sean Mercer is building the case a
Jay Jessmer
Aug 16, 2013 Jay Jessmer rated it it was amazing
I am soooo enjoying this series!! I have just read the first 2 in 3 days time, so obviously, if you like a quick addicting read in the suspense/thriller genre, this series is a must for you.
I don't know if all of Stewart's work is this entertaining, as this is my first go round with her, but I will be reading more after this series. She seems to have an innate ability to write characters who the reader can identify with--and get attatched to.
To often in thriller type novels the characters are
Dotti Elrick
Jun 03, 2013 Dotti Elrick rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the "Dead" series. It picks up where the first one left off. While being part of a series, the books can be read as stand alone novels, the author gives you enough backstory for the story to make sense.
Three convicts have a chance meeting and come up with a "game" to each take care of three people one of the others wants dead. This is the story of the second criminal, Vince Giordano. A convicted murderer whose sentence has been over turned because of a lying witness. N
Louise
Mar 21, 2009 Louise rated it it was amazing
This is the "second" Mariah Stewart novel I've registered today! I finished one early in the morning, began this one and read it in a few hours. Riveting, to say the least.

"Three devious prisoners vow murderous revenge. Now the second is free.

With her stalker captured, antiques dealer Amanda Crosby can finally sleep at night. Having worked hard to put the nightmare behind her, Amanda has vowed never to be a victim again. But when her business partner, Derek England, is found with a bullet throug
Jim
Dec 27, 2010 Jim rated it liked it
A little too much inside the killer's mind. A little too descriptive foreplay. Otherwise, Stewart just keeps this story going.

As with the first in the series, it sets up for the next book in the series, so doesn't end here.

A sides story: Usually I request a book on-line and pick it up from the hold area of my branch. This one I actually looked for it in the library. Much to my surprise, it was in the Romance section. First I asked the librarian to keep lookout for me, as I did not want to be see
Colleen
Dec 30, 2008 Colleen rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the 2nd book in the "Dead" series as much as the first. My only complaint (once again) is that I wished it had a tad more romance in it. It has just enough that you can pick up the attraction between the two main characters, but it doesn't go much further than a few kisses. Also, both books have left me wondering what happens to the main characters in each story. Like another reviewer stated, one or two love scenes could have gone a long way in either of these books.

Regardless of the la
Denise
Sep 08, 2010 Denise rated it it was amazing
This was such a good book! The only problem was I read the series out of order. If I hadn't of done that, it would have been even better. I didn't realize till the last two chapters that I did, so I guess it doesn't matter :) Mariah Stewart is a great author who gives good details, but I don't feel the same as I do with other authors; I don't feel like I become emotionally involved with the characters. Her books are good, the plot is good, the characters are good, details are good, I personally ...more
Cindy
Feb 01, 2013 Cindy rated it liked it
3.5 out of 5

This is either a suspenseful romance or a romanic thriller depending on how you look at it. Either way it's a fast, tightly plotted read. This is the second in a series of three books somewhat based on the "Strangers on a Train" premise. Three criminals swap their revenge killings. The ending is open and leads into the final installment. I highly recommend that this be read in order to get the most from the action.
Jaime
Feb 01, 2008 Jaime rated it liked it
This was just ok for me. I understand that the concept of the series (three guys in jail make a deal that requires each of them to kill the people another guy wants revenge on) requires that the books have similar plots, but this book just gave me a lot of deja vu. I’ll probably continue this series, but only because the 3rd bad guy is the weakest of the three and I want to see how that is handled.
Kerry
Jan 10, 2010 Kerry rated it liked it
Mariah Stewart is listed as a 'romance mystery' writer....I'm not certain her books have any more (or less) romance than other writers of 'who done it' novels. That said, this one in particular is a good read. Stewart let's us in on the whole premise of the book in the prologue and then takes us through the the twists and turns by the police to figure out the actual killer. Quick read for these cold winter days in front of a fire.
Jessica
Apr 06, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it
Dead Certain was the romantic mystery/suspense I was hoping for. Love Sean and Amanda, love the Strangers on a Train plot (I'll need to watch that movie sometime...), love the small town, love the short chapters from Vinnie's POV, love that we knew from the beginning who it was and how it all came about. Super intriguing.
Mo
May 14, 2015 Mo rated it it was ok
Pretty similar format to the first one, which made certain aspects predictable & flat. The romance was a bit far-fetched, forced, & unnecessary.

I'm assuming (view spoiler) will be further explored & resolved in the next book? And maybe tie in with (view spoiler) (from the first book)?
Pat Z
Sep 04, 2013 Pat Z rated it it was ok
Okay for a quick read but the characters are pretty stock and not well developed. The story line is interesting but the writing is sketchy and does not flow well. I would not read more of her books unless I had no other thriller to read.
Suzan
May 23, 2013 Suzan rated it really liked it
I am loving this series. Book two was even better then one. The author does a nice job of fallowing the story line but if this was the first book you read you would not be lost. Looking forward to book three.
Amanda
Sep 19, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not her best book it ended a little abruptly. But, just like her other books it was a good read even though the ending was unexpectedly short.
Yvonne
Jun 12, 2012 Yvonne added it
Very Good Murder mystery!Iam also reading Last Breath and Last Look.
Biba
May 31, 2013 Biba rated it it was ok
I was a bit disappointed with this book, especially after loving book #1. I guess I didn't connect with the characters. On to the next book in the series.
Joe O'c
Sep 05, 2009 Joe O'c rated it really liked it
Excellent; one of three books tied to an agreement between criminals to kill each others' enemies; here a woman who had been stalked sees her friends murdered and realizes she's next.
Mary Lee
Jun 01, 2014 Mary Lee rated it it was amazing
page turner!
Kristin
Mar 18, 2014 Kristin rated it really liked it
Didn't like this book in the series as much as the first but it was still good.
Janelle
May 19, 2012 Janelle rated it really liked it
Loved it!
Gail
Apr 26, 2008 Gail rated it really liked it
pretty good
Shireen Hakani
Not as good as the first one, but still good. This book can be read as standalone but would highly recommend to read in order.
Jill
Jul 11, 2014 Jill rated it really liked it
Really liked this second book in the series. Looking forward to the third. It starts out a little slow, but it is worth the time reading.
Jun 01, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
Somewhat predictable, but a good quick read for when you don't want to put a lot of focus into your reading time.
Deborah
Did not LOVE this author, but an easy fast read. Predictable, sappy, but if I find it on sale I guess I would read it again.
Crystal
Mar 26, 2011 Crystal rated it liked it
Very enjoyable read. The characters in the story were interesting. Stewart is a good story writer. I'm ready to read another.
Barbara
Nov 06, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries, 2011
Continuing quality reading.
Dianna
Sep 16, 2012 Dianna rated it really liked it
Nice stress free ending. LOL! Good read. Not too lite but not too intense.
  • The Kill (Predator Trilogy, #3)
  • Sense of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #6)
  • Close Enough To Kill (Griffin Powell, #6)
  • Waking the Dead (Mindhunters, #3)
  • Fade to Black (Black CATs, #1)
  • The Perfect Murder (The Last Stand, #6)
  • Whisper of Warning (The Glass Sisters, #2)
  • Edge of Midnight (Chasing Evil, #3)
  • No Escape (Delta Force, #3)
  • The Chosen
Mariah Stewart is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of twenty-six novels and three novellas and has been featured in the Wall Street Journal. She is a RITA finalist in romantic suspense and the recipient of the Award of Excellence for contemporary romance, a RIO Award for excellence in women's fiction, and a Reviewers Choice Award from Romantic Times Magazine. A three-time winner ...more
More about Mariah Stewart...

Dead (4 books)
  • Dead Wrong (Dead #1; John Mancini #3)
  • Dead Even (Dead #3; John Mancini #5)
  • Dead End (Dead #4; John Mancini #6)