Start by marking “The First Snowdrop (Frazer, #1)” as Want to Read:
The First Snowdrop (Frazer, #1)

The First Snowdrop (Stewart-Frazer #1)

THE ABANDONED BRIDE

The handsome, elegant Alexander Stewart, Viscount Merrick, wed young and innocent Miss Anne Parish in haste – his hand forced by circumstance and honor. But now his duty was done – and it was Anne who had to repent at leisure.

Merrick declared he would return to London to resume the pursuit of pleasure that Anne had so rudely interrupted. Anne for her par
Published September 2nd 1986 by Signet (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The First Snowdrop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Snowdrop

Slightly Dangerous by Mary BaloghA Summer to Remember by Mary BaloghSlightly Married by Mary BaloghThe Plumed Bonnet by Mary BaloghMore Than a Mistress by Mary Balogh
Best of Mary Balogh
37th out of 60 books — 45 voters
In Cold Blood by Truman CapoteThe Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le CarréSmilla's Sense of Snow by Peter HøegSnow by Orhan PamukCold Mountain by Charles Frazier
Frosty Book Titles
304th out of 466 books — 73 voters

More lists with this book...

Janet
When I say the hero is cruel and uncaring, that doesn't come close. He is so unfeeling to Anne. But it's still a wonderful book, all the sweeter for how close this couple comes to losing everything. My thoughts, excerpted from a longer piece at Heroes and Heartbreakers:

Pity the wife in a time like the English Regency, when romance and love were the purview of some married couples but not all, and domesticity could easily devolve into drudgery, estrangement, or isolation. The oft-lobbed threat of
LuvGirl
Oh my goodness. I'm giving up on this book. You would think that with a cruel hero who cheats and is nothing but nasty to the heroine from their first meeting that this book would have a decent story line to go by, but the back drop of this book is a stupid play that the hero's grandmother wants them to put on! You've got to be kidding right? Pages and pages and pages about this dumb play and how the heroine is taking it soooo seriously! Secondary characters abound talking about the idiotic ...more
Ana T.
Dec 26, 2012 Ana T. rated it really liked it
I think Mary Balogh's talent was most in evidence in her traditional regencies and especially in those with Christmas themes. I have read quite a few of them. Some I have reviewed on this blog, others I am still saving for a rainy day. A few years ago I read Christmas Belle and while checking Balogh's website I realised that it was the second book in a duet. It has been on my mind, since then, to get that first book and find out more about the other members of Jack Frazer's family. The Christmas ...more
Spazfungus
Dec 31, 2014 Spazfungus rated it liked it
Ugh, miscommunication! Each character is so stubbornly noble, sacrificing their own wants for what they think the other wants. Merrick's guilt and inability to deal with it was wonderfully described Anne's bursts of self-confidence is keeping with the character. Though I understand one of them had to bend to resolve the miscommunication, did it have to be Anne? And did she have to do it in such a demeaning way?

(view spoiler)
Tina
Dec 09, 2012 Tina rated it it was ok
The hero in this one was just...I can't...with this guy! He was so mean and cruel to the heroine and he knew he was being a jerk and just kept on doing it. I kept waiting for MB to bring it home. I knew she could redeem a jerk. She made me like Freddie from Dancing with Clara for goodness sake and I think he has a firm and and permanent place on many people's worst heroes list. But, alas, Alex stayed a jerk. And Anne just cried a lot.

The two stars are for the supporting cast with Alex's huge and
Innes Sabrina Husa
Dec 15, 2015 Innes Sabrina Husa rated it it was amazing
While the first time i was reading this story i was really hated Alexander. He's been so brutally cruel to Anne. But the last chapter turn into beautifully story.
Once again Mary Balogh story captivated my heart...
Linda
Dec 18, 2014 Linda rated it it was ok
Obviously, Mary Balogh had to work out some kinks before hitting her amazing stride with the Bedwyns and the Slightly series. Most of her earlier work is good, this one just mediocre. It's a hard to find book.

The hero is "tricked" into marriage because he mistakes a gentlewoman for a servant. It would have been okay to have his way with a servant and skate off but just the appearance of being with a gentlewoman and it's off to the vicar.

Ann the heroine is naive and believes that Alexander, the V
suzi
Mar 24, 2015 suzi rated it it was ok
This is a such a sad story for me. I want to smack both protagonists for the stupid decisions they made that led to them being trapped in a marriage they didn't want. Well, at least for one of them. The story was okay but I didn't fall in love with the main couple or any of the other characters. Well, maybe, except for Jack, the 'villain' in the story and Freddie. I applaud the heroine though for standing up for herself and losing all that self-pity.
Yessenia Andaverde
When I said this book did not let.me go until I finished it, I am not joking. I started to read at 6 p.m. and finished at 1 a.m. without the slightest pause in the reading.

The first thought I had when I read the synopsis was, "Awesome!". It sounded very wicked and interesting. Later on I discovered the image the author gives of the heroine is wrong: she never planned to make Alex love her, she did never even thought of the possibility. It gives the reader a wrong idea of where this story is goi
Charlie
Oct 04, 2016 Charlie rated it really liked it
3.5*

This story had Balogh's signature style of writing which I loved. She also a master of creating intrigue. It's not a higher rating because there's only so much suspense a reader can take! There seemed far too much unhappiness caused by relatively few misunderstandings.

Both the main characters were amiable, though I did find Anne's subservience to her husband, Merrick, excessive at times.
Veronica
Purtroppo non uno tra i migliori della Balogh.
Direi che almeno il 30% del libro è completamente inutile: infinite descrizioni di parenti, dei loro vestiti, delle loro conversazioni, dei loro viaggi… scusate, ma chi se ne frega! Parliamo di Alex e Anne e STOP!
Che dire della storia? Mah, non mi ha convinto molto perché penso sia stata rovinata dai protagonisti, Alex e Anne.

(view spoiler)
Diane Morris
Jul 31, 2014 Diane Morris rated it really liked it
Shelves: keeper, reviewed
I read this book about twenty-five years ago, one of the first regencies I read. It's about time to give it a review.

I was just skimming through Amazon with no real direction in mind when I saw this cover and I remembered the book. I immediately recalled the hero searching for a way out of the blizzard, the heroine's actions (or rather luck of much action because she's a dreamy sort of person who fantasizes that he's a hero). After their marriage and consummation, I remembered her sorrow at bein
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
Gosh blast this hero was mean the heroine for 95 percent of the book. I gave it four stars because Mary Balogh is brilliant as always and it is an engaging story, but gee whiz, the hero really gave the heroine a hard time well after I thought he should have stopped. Heroine was just lovely! She deserved to be loved and cherished. The hero just decided at the start she wasn't good enough and he just wouldn't let go of that, even after she proved herself wonderful over and over. Somehow, even ...more
Lynne Tull
Jan 10, 2012 Lynne Tull rated it liked it
Shelves: regency-romance
This is one of Mary Balogh's early books. I only have three more to go before I have read all of her books. IMHO, Mary Balogh is the current- day "Georgette Heyer". Although, the hero/heroine took almost the entire book to come to terms with each other, I read every word...well, almost every word. I did skip over some text close to the end...to impatient to find out how they resolved their issues. If you can find a copy, it is a must read. It is on her back list and I got my copy from the ...more
Jultri
Quite inferior compared to the later Balogh books, it had a strange and disruptive way of going back and forth in time, as the author switched to different character's POV - like disjointed editing. The characters lacked emotional depth and exchanged little actual dialogue and hence for either to fall in love with the other was rather inexplicable and abrupt.
Maria
Jan 07, 2009 Maria rated it it was amazing
Published in 1986, this book re-reads well and is very believable, given the history of the times (1814-1816). I thoroughly enjoyed re-reading it after so long. Too few books take into account how much a person can change physically given an impetus. Time usually takes care of assertiveness, but only a firm resolve can take care of weight problems. It is beautifully written, too.
Ploycate Rujilee
Jul 03, 2016 Ploycate Rujilee rated it really liked it
The last part was very touching. They loved each other too much to think of each other desire more important than own desire.
Tasmia
Really well fleshed out considering the short length. Am impressed that somehow Balogh made the hero likeable by the end of the story when he seems rather a cad at the beginning.
LLCSpokane
May 23, 2011 LLCSpokane rated it liked it
Not my favorite Balogh but still good. The H is a sterotypical arrogant, aristocratic jerk up to the last chapter, but manages to redeem himself for a HEA.
Gennielc
Actually, I skipped a bunch - I think it could have been edited way down. Too much repetition.
I'm also not a fan of miss-communication.
Marlene
Nov 28, 2015 Marlene rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
An early work of Mary Balogh that features a very arrogant emotionally abusive, Viscount Merrick and his timid wife he was forced to marry.
Cara
Cara rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2016
Theresa Depiano
Theresa Depiano rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2012
Tishke
Tishke rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2014
Mouli Mukherjee
Mouli Mukherjee rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2016
Brittney Weaver
Brittney Weaver rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2011
Mimi
Mimi rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Christina
Christina rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2011
Brandy
Brandy rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2015
Sasha
Sasha rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2008
  • Mutual Consent
  • His Lordship's Mistress
  • The Duke's Double (Lords of Love)
  • With This Ring
  • Fair Game
  • Lady of Quality
  • Wedded Bliss
  • Lord Stanhope's Proposal
  • Scandalous Virtue (The Saint of Seven Dials, #0)
  • The Rake's Rainbow
  • Heart's Ease
  • Regency Christmas Wishes
  • Viscount Vagabond (Regency Noblemen, #1)
  • The Perfect Sinner (The Perfect Crightons, #6)
Mary Jenkins was born in 1944 in Swansea, Wales, UK. After graduating from university, moved to Saskatchewan, Canada, to teach high school English, on a two-year teaching contract in 1967. She married her Canadian husband, Robert Balogh, and had three children, Jacqueline, Christopher and Sian. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading, music and knitting. She also enjoys watching tennis and ...more
More about Mary Balogh...

Stewart-Frazer (2 books)
  • Christmas Belle (Frazer, #2)