Start by marking “The Temporary Wife” as Want to Read:
The Temporary Wife

The Temporary Wife

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,833 ratings  ·  119 reviews
Miss Charity Duncan has no illusions when she agrees to the marriage proposal of Lord Anthony Earheart. The arrogant aristocrat makes it painfully clear what he wants from her. Will Charity agree to be the wife he needs to enrage the father he hates? Of course. Will Charity then depart from his life in return for the money she and her family desperately need? Of course. Is ...more
Published May 1st 1997 by Signet (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Temporary Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Temporary Wife

A great rags to riches/marriage of convenience story. Lord Anthony Earheart, soon to be the Duke of Withingsby, was such a tortured character. His pain and stubbornness regarding his self imposed exile was stressful. He was so pained, so hurt it was sad watching him trudge through life with such a chip on his shoulder. Charity was a wonderful heroine who managed to penetrate Anthony's armor of coldness. His feelings for her were unwanted but he eventually admitted what he had so adamantly refuse ...more

This started off as somewhat of a struggle for me as it reminded me greatly of another of Mary Balogh's novels "Ideal Wife" which was "cute" and annoying at times- not one of my favorites.
The Temporary Wife may have had the common thread of a rushed marriage of convenience with the hero thinking he married a plain mouse of a woman, that is where the common thread ends and the story truly begins.

Charity Duncan had that quiet strength with a deeply underlining bit of common sense that helps he
OK, so I borrowed this book from the library. I needed another book to read like a hole in the head. I have enough paperbacks and ebooks at home but I have just started to read a few of Ms. Balogh's short stories in some anthologies. Run-on apologies. I was intrigued. Let's blame the book for my excitement.

Yes, I am slow to discover this author. I seem to like the older books before someone becomes popular. What can I say except this book hit me in all the right spots. I didn't w
Miranda Davis
Oct 07, 2015 Miranda Davis rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of HR, esp. Regency era
Recommended to Miranda by: Karla
I LOVE the way this unfolds, I LOVE the main characters. The conflict was a doozy. Father-son conflict comes to a head after eight year's absence. Charming story. So wonderful how the romance evolved over the course of the story. I think this has bumped Simply Dangerous out of first place, or at least wedged itself right next to it.
Tiffany Reisz
As a much needed break from Derek Raymond's gritty noir, I treated myself to two Mary Balogh novels. I think the only reason this gets 4 stars is because I read A Promise of Spring right after and enjoyed it even more.

The first love scene in this book is one of the better ones I've read in a historical. And for the record, just because I am a BDSM erotica writer, I prefer for my reading pleasure sex scenes that are more emotionally-driven that graphic with physical description. Balogh is a maste
So Mary Balogh is truly incomparable in the world of regency romance, and this is her best that I have read so far.

What I liked about this book, and most of Balogh's for that manner, is her ability to pack SO MUCH in so few pages. It takes most authors 400 pages to do what Balogh can do in half that...and she does it better!

This is a story of healing and forgiveness. I love those kind of stories! Romance is a "feel good" genre and that is exactly what you'll feel like after reading this book.
Definitely one of the very best by Mary Balogh.

Over the past few years, I've gotten away from the historical romance genre. However, this one captured me from the first page to the very last page.

Highly recommended for MB fans and those that love a good historical romance with some depth. I believe it has been out of print, but fortunately has recently been released in a duo collection titled The Temporary Wife/A Promise of Spring.
Sometimes a book just grabs you by the heart and refuses to let you go until the last page, the last word. The Temporary Wife by Mary Balogh is such a book for me. It is just sheer perfection. Well, almost. If I could have whispered in a little voice in Mary Balogh's ear while she was writing, I would have said this: "Could I have a little more at the end, ma'am?" Just a little bit longer with Anthony and Charity at the end, that's all. But then, the fact that I wanted more just underscores how ...more
The Marquess of Staunton, Anthony Earheart, wants a wife to annoy his dying father (and help him avoid marrying the young lady everyone expects him to marry) so he advertises for a governess and asks the meekest, most desperate one to apply to be his wife. His mother's seventeen pregnancies left him with a near-pathological fear of impregnating anyone, so he doesn't intend to sleep with her, or even live with her, past the week they spend together at his father's house. Charity Duncan is distrau ...more
Jess the Romanceaholic
Not my usual fare at all, I picked this up at the library the other day on a whim.

The blurb is vaguely misleading, but it was still an enjoyable read. I liked how there was no "villain", and instead was mostly character driven.

While I'm still not sure I consider myself a true "fan" of this author, this was a good way to pass the time.

3.5/5 Stars

Classic Balogh. Wonderfully engaging, sweet, comfort stories! Some of the situations and thought processes weren't fleshed out enough for me and a few of the decisions just didn't make sense but the sheer joy of the writing style and enjoyment of the story always overcome when a master is writing.
Amarilli Settantatre

Un romanzo della Balogh più dolce e sentimentale del solito.
Inizia con il solito lord ruvido e quanto-sono-cinico, preoccupato solo di impalmare la peggior moglie possibile per far infuriare il vecchio duca. E Charity, dal canto suo, ha solo fretta di procurarsi una rendita sicura per la salvare la propria famiglia.
Ma i progetti di entrambi vanno a rotoli. Charity è scaltra (in senso buono), è vivace, è perspicace e sa farsi amare.
Forse non avrà titolo o dote, ma h
ชอบมากกกกคะ ซาบซึงจนตองหลังนำตา หลงรักพระเอกแบบซึมลึก เขียนไดดีจริงๆ จนตองขอเปนแฟนนักเขียนคนนีซะแลว ดีใจมากเพราะอานของ ลิซา เคลยเพส เลมสนุกๆ จนเกือบหมดแลว กำลังหา Historical Romance ดีๆ สักหนอย
เรืองนีพระเอกทะเลาะกับครอบครัวจนแยกตัวออกจากบานมาแปดปี พอแกแลวปวย เลยจดหมายมาเรียกตัว เขากหาภรรยารีบแตงงานกลับไปดวย ตอนแรกอานจะรูสึกวา การหาภรรยาทีคุณสมบัติแบบพอตองเกลียดกลับไปเพือทำใหพอโกรธสุดๆ ดูเปนขออางทีออนไปหนอย แตพออานไปๆ มันมีเหตุผลลึกๆ ยิงกวานัน ทีคอยๆ เฉลยออกมาทีละปม ทำใหรูสึกนาเชือถือ สมจริง และ
4.5 stars. This was a sweet story -- a titch too sweet for me, which is why I knocked a half star off -- I really do prefer a little more drama and angst. But otherwise it was a very good rags to riches story. And I do love a historical romance that portrays what sex might have been like -- I think the contrast between a very formal public society and what had to go on under the covers for any babies to be born is fascinating, so it's fun to have an imagining of it. Very good read.
Since I love Mary Balogh, she can do no wrong - but this was not my favorite or anywhere near as good as some of her other work. As always, the writing is beautiful and the story engaging - strong characters, difficult problems kept me reading right along. Honestly, I can't take the tortured hero anymore and the starchy hero is annoying as welll - which this hero was both - but anyone who likes that and marriage of convenience theme may enjoy this.
This is why Mary Balogh is so highly thought of!
This book is perfect. It has the right mix of all the desirable ingredients in a regency romance, though for my sake I wish the book was longer.
Highly recommended. :)
This is a classic historical romance book with everything. I liked it and read it quickly. If you like HR books, one day you should read this one too. Not perfect but definitely worth a try...
Anthony solicits a governess but really is looking for a wife! Charity applies for a governess position and ends up as a wife! Then he takes her to his family home where she plays therapist to the nobility. TIME FOR UNTIMELY FEELINGS.

1. UNDERCOVER HOTTIE ALERT. And Anthony keeps yelling at her for ~hiding her light under a bushel!! TOO HOT TO HANDLE.

2. The fact that 28 years of dysfunction is fixed after a week of married bliss is almost too ridiculous for me to enjoy. Charity was just TOO GREA
I am going to give it 4.5 . It was really good book. So sweet
Vi state forse chiedendo se sia valsa la pena aspettare diciotto anni per leggere questo piccolo capolavoro regency di Mary Balogh? Io dico di si, anche se a prima vista vi potrà sembrare una storia già letta molte volte, la maestria di questa autrice ha reso questo romance un vero DIK come hanno sentenziato le lettrici di All About Romance, uno dei Blog Romance più quotati d'oltreoceano.
Una grande storia di perdoni e di riconciliazioni tra fratelli, di affetti ritrovati e di un amore che sbocci
My enjoyment of this book was negatively impacted by the fact that the storyline is similar to a book I just read by Balogh, A Christmas Promise. I didn't realize when I picked this book off my shelf at random that the story lines were so alike. There are definitely differences, one being that the heroine is poor and the hero is rich in this book, and in A Christmas Promise it is the hero who is marrying a wealthy cit's daughter to save his estates. However, so many of the characteristics of the ...more
After three and a half hours of reading this sweet, emotional and without a doubt, a heart warming novel by Mary Balogh... I'm mesmerized and enthralled once again with her witty stories.

I can't put the book down! I love how she webbed in a 200+ pages the twists and turns, and played it gracefully in a mellow and enchanting pace. I thought, with the length of the book, I will be disappointed but I still give it a try...and oh what luck I have to rummage on some old treasure box. I adored her her
It is the morning after I forced myself not to sleep the night before just to finish this book in one sitting. My eyes are still so bad, I was crying so hard. I didn't even know 'The Temporary Wife' was going to be so emotional, or maybe it was just me. But anyway, on to the review.

The story plot for this book was not that original, or maybe this was one of the original ones and I was just reading the duplicates? It was a marriage of convenience but I really liked that fact that they were actual
Anthony Earheart, Marquess of Staunton, son of the Duke of Withingsby, twenty years old, leaves Enfield, the family estate, after a terrible fight with his father, swearing to never return again.
8 years after, Lord Anthony is summoned by his father to return home to see the Duke who is recovering from a serious heart attack, and to fulfill the promise of betrothal his father concluded for him seventeen years before.
Except that Lord Anthony doesn’t want to obey his father. What better way to have
Amazing the character development that she packed into a slim signet regency book. I can see threads of her "style" in this book already. When a guy is emotionally damaged he actually has real problems relating to people. And the women have their own issues they have to work through also. The emotional payoff is very high even if the action is humdrum.

In this particular book I really enjoyed that the focus was on ties of family and how they can tug us in unexpected directions.
Laura (Kyahgirl)
4/5; 4 stars; A-

This book is classic Balogh. I love the character, Charity, and how she selflessly gave so much to help and heal Anthony's family.
I have read a lot of books by this author over the years and find her style of writing is always professional and smooth and her characters are deep and interesting.
I think this book is Balogh's Masterpiece!
This book was the best thing by Mary Balogh that I have ever read!
It takes you on a wonderful emotional ride and you fall in love with all
the characters along the way.
This is one of the best recent Regency novels I have read!
highly recommended
I re-read this classic Signet Regency romance last night because it's one of my comfort reads. The author's use of words is so careful, the mood building done so well, that I like to take it off the shelf every now and then to remind myself of how a small book can be done so beautifully.
I recommend this book!! Very entertaining!
This is kinda strange but I'm totally into this novel!!! Though I'm not impressed with the 1st and 2nd books of the Dark Angel series.
I love love love love this book. awwwwww so sweet and charming!
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 18, 2015 09:46AM
  • With This Ring
  • Tallie's Knight
  • The Portrait
  • Conor's Way
  • My Darling Caroline
  • Fallen Angel
  • The Rake (Davenport, #2)
  • His Lordship's Mistress
  • Lady Gallant (European Renaissance Duo, #1) (Ladies, #1)
  • A Worthy Wife
  • Bring Him Home (Special Forces, #3)
  • Knave's Wager
  • One Good Reason
  • Night in Eden
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lord Rival, #2)
Mary Jenkins was born on 1944 in Swansea, Wales, UK. After graduating from university, moved to Saskatchewan, Canada, to teach high-school English, on a two-year teaching contract in 1967. She married her Canadian husband, Robert Balogh, and had three children, Jacqueline, Christopher and Sian. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading, music and knitting. She also enjoys watching tennis and curl ...more
More about Mary Balogh...

“Tonight he would do anything in the world for her.
Tomorrow he would begin to set her free.”
“And I need you, my love," he said. "I need you so much that I panic when I think that perhaps I will not be able to persuade you to come back with me to Enfield. I need you so much that I cannot quite contemplate the rest of my life if it must be lived without you. I need you so much that—Well, the words speak for themselves. I need you."

"To look after Augusta?" she said. She dared not hear what he was surely saying. She dared not hope. "To look after Enfield? To provide you with an heir?"

"Yes," he said, and her heart sank like a stone to be squashed somewhere between her slippers and the parlor carpet."And to be my friend and my confidant and my comfort. And to be my lover.”