Start by marking “A Masked Deception” as Want to Read:
A Masked Deception

A Masked Deception

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  287 ratings  ·  16 reviews
THE RIVALS

The handsome, dashing, wealthy Richard Adair, the seventh Earl of Brampton, was caught in a most devilishly difficult tug-of-war. Claiming his hand was shy and demure Margaret Wells, who became his bride in an icily arranged marriage designed to produce an heir in a boringly proper alliance. Claiming his heart was a nameless charmer who concealed her face behind
Published July 1st 1999 by Severn House Publishers (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about A Masked Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Masked Deception

Yui
I think this one's hero is a jerk. I've always preferred jerks to soft-hearted weakling except in this case. I more attracted to innocent young Ralph in Gentle Conquest than I am with Richard. Hmnn.. Maybe I should change the stars? A Masked Deception just seem more active than Gentle Conquest. I enjoyed them both but decided on 3 stars here because it seem to have more happenings than the quiet but no means boring everyday life portrayal in GC. Back to Richard, I did not hate him really and am ...more
Maria
I am re-reading my Mary Balogh books in order of publication, and this one is the first that I have as it was published in 1985. On the second reading, I found the plot slightly contrived but still interesting, and the writing not quite as polished as I have come to expect, but still well worth the re-read. I didn't put it down until I was done, so I guess that says it all.
Janet
Balogh's very first book -- and it contains elements of all the themes she has written about over the years. Worth tracking down!
Adrienne
I read this in about two days. Mary Balogh is one of the big names of regency romance but I had never read her before.

She apparently started writing regency after devouring all of Georgette Heyers work, and it shows. (which is a plus for me)

However, this was a lot steamier than Heyer! I liked how historically accurate the characters manners seemed, even down the double standards and views on men and women.

Note: apparently this is Balogh's first book,which makes sense. I can't wait to read some
Erica Anderson
I usually don't care for masquerade books, but in the hands of Mary Balogh, I'm happy to take the risk. Though this isn't my favorite Balogh--that remains Lady with the Black Umbrella--Deception has her trademark emotional conflict and complex relationship between the hero and heroine. The influence of the divine Georgette Heyer is evident in a last chapter rush-to-save-an-eloping-couple scene before All Is Lost. There's also a delightful secondary romance that kept me turning pages.

The plot foc
Deirdre
almost 4 stars but not quite, the ending felt a bit rushed and I loved how she stood up to him.

Margaret Wells has loved Richard, Earl of Brampton ever since a masked ball and he is intrigued by her too but he doesn't know who she was and he is now just doing his duty. When she dresses as she did before he engages in an affair with her, not knowing that it's his wife and he's torn between the two.

Entertaining and light.
Leiza McArter
Reminds me of an old Barbara Cartland book called Desire of the Heart, only this time it's a bit opposite, where the heroine in BC's book hid her face while married to the hero, MB's heroine hid her face while playing the part of another person. Totally different perspectives, and I love both books! <3
tacitus
I know a lot of people really dislike the hero in this story, and I can understand why. He does NOT appeal to modern sensibilities, but we have to remember that Balogh is trying to be realistic to the time period. Not only was it normal for men to have extra-martial affairs, many wives expected and even demanded it. Marriages were business contracts, more often than not. A romance that leads a hero to discard his assumptions is, in my opinion, far more intense and romantic than if the hero had n ...more
Heather
carnival candy floss for the brain.
Lisarenee
About a woman who met her husband 6 years prior at a masquerade party. When the marriage seems to be lacking her sister convinces her to don the mask she once used to gain her husband's interest. Kind of cute, but he did think he was cheating on his wife so I'm not sure of my feelings on this one.
Christine
I wanted to like this book, but the ending was rushed and didn't match the activities that had just taken place. Plus how could he not recognize her when everyone else did? Unique plot though.
Saral
The hero is just too stupid. And why did I even read a book this old? If I could giveit no star at all, I would.
Leens Sh
I did not like Richard or Meg. He is unfaithful and too dumb to be true and she is missing a personality.
Ana
A surprisingly sexy book by Mary Balogh with subtle shades of Cinderella aspects thrown in.
Ashley
oh, if only romance novel heros and heroines would have conversations.
L Pulliam
L Pulliam marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Michele Stewart
Michele Stewart marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Cigordon
Cigordon marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Kara Pruitt
Kara Pruitt marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
  • A Worthy Wife
  • A London Season (Regency Duo, #1)
  • The Wedding Journey
  • The Earl's Dilemma
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lord Rival, #2)
  • A Deal With the Devil (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron #4)
  • Carousel of Hearts
  • The Perfect Stranger (The Merridew Sisters, #3)
  • Fallen Angel
  • A Proper Companion (Regency Rakes, #1)
  • A Regency Christmas V
  • To Wed a Stranger (C Series, #6)
  • What an Earl Wants
  • Quiet Meg (Regency Trilogy, #1)
  • When Dashing Met Danger (Spies, #1)
  • Emily and the Dark Angel (Lovers and Ladies, #4)
  • A Regency Christmas I
  • For the Love of a Soldier
Mary Jenkins was born on 1944 in Swansea, Wales, UK. After graduating from university, moved to Saskatchewan, Canada, to teach high-school English, on a two-year teaching contract in 1967. She married her Canadian husband, Robert Balogh, and had three children, Jacqueline, Christopher and Sian. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading, music and knitting. She also enjoys watching tennis and curl ...more
More about Mary Balogh...
Slightly Dangerous (Bedwyn Saga, #6) Slightly Married (Bedwyn Saga, #1) First Comes Marriage (Huxtable Quintet #1) A Summer to Remember (Bedwyn Prequels, #2) Slightly Scandalous (Bedwyn Saga, #3)