Start by marking “The End of Print” as Want to Read:
The End of Print

The End of Print

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  403 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The End of Print is the first collection of the work of David Carson, arguably the most innovative and influential graphic designer of the 1990s. Carson's layered, challenging approach to typography has earned him an international reputation. At the cutting edge, he continually reinvents the relationship between design and type and has single-handedly changed the course of ...more
Published November 1st 1995 by Chronicle Books (CA)

Hannah Jo Parker
I was inspired to read this book after seeing David Carson in the documentary film Helvetica. I loved his assertion that you can't assume something communicates just because it's legible.

This book was my lunch buddy for a couple of weeks as I studied its contents. I was uplifted every day by the notion that you can throw out all the rules and succeed beautifully.

The End of Print provides plenty of examples of Carson's exciting approach to graphic design, including one of my favorites mentioned
Kim M-M
Anything that David Carson touches turns to golden chaos. He is the edge, of the cutting and 'Born to be Wild' is probably his anthem. The bane of art teachers everywhere, there is a freedom in his style flies in the face of reason.
... I can't remember what this book is about though, all i remember is the graphics :)
Mads
In my past life I was a graphic and layout artist for magazines. All because I was puttering around a bookstore and my eye caught a weird magazine cover. The cover was by David Carson and the magazine was RAYGUN. It was the start of an obsession. I believe that Carson revolutionized how magazines are designed, although his critics disagree.
Inggita
the book from the bad boy of typography himself. the out-of-the-design-box guru. the "king of non-communication." this book actually belongs to Abang Edwin - i'm just listing it here because it's one from a groundbreaking designer.
Tom
I loved this designer in the 90's. Looking upon his stuff now, it seems so dated. Probably because he was so imitated that it obliterated his work. This is what I'll probably say of Rex Ray's work in another decade.
Amber
I'm a graphic designer In school I had to do a report on a designer and David Carson was the one I picked out of the hat. I never heard of him before the project.
Nikki
David Carson is 'the' graphic designer of the decade. Whenever I'm stuck in a rut and need to get out of my grids, I pick up this book for inspiration.
Erica
It's like searching for easter eggs reading this book...and every time you open it, the eggs have been re-hidden. Love.
Stephen Conti
self-proclaimed god.... don't understand why everyone gets a hardon over this guy...
James Obando
Great overview of David Carson's work, daring and inspiring!
Tony
May 24, 2008 Tony rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
David Carson killed print so we can re-make it better.
Chandra Wirawan
how broken type accepted.. graphic design in wider view
bitchrepublic
classic for designers/design students
Cheryl
Expanding my design world
Sarah Winningham
Sarah Winningham marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Laura Clark
Laura Clark marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Katherine Pontikes
Katherine Pontikes marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Briandra Chonnie'
Briandra Chonnie' marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Caren
Caren marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Erfu Wang
Erfu Wang marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
  • Logo Design Workbook: A Hands-On Guide to Creating Logos
  • Graphic Design: The New Basics
  • Typographic Design: Form and Communication
  • The New Typography
  • Grid Systems in Graphic Design/Raster Systeme Fur Die Visuele Gestaltung (German and English Edition)
Trek: David Carson, Recent Werk Fotografiks - David Carson The End of Print: The Grafik Design of David Carson How to Find Your Spirit Animal Rockin' Down the Dial: The Detroit Sound of Radio (From Jack the Bellboy to the Big 8)