Start by marking “The Clockwork Forest” as Want to Read:
The Clockwork Forest

The Clockwork Forest

'Life would be a whole lot easier if dead things had the decency to remain dead.'

Nothing is how it seems in the forest. Your best friend may turn out to be your worst enemy. A deadly poison might save your life. And two smiling children could become the most horrifying monsters of all.

Morton is sure of one thing, however. His four treasures are lost somewhere in this fores
Published March 3rd 2008 by Penguin Australia (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Clockwork Forest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clockwork Forest

Claire
Jun 30, 2013 Claire rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013, aussies
Ok. I admit that when I read The Shiny Guys, it took me a couple of days for the penny to drop and for me to get some of the things that happened in the book... I have given this one that time for things to fall into place and I'm still waiting.

I did pretty well but it was just the end that left me a little confused and as I type this, maybe the penny has dropped for this one. (view spoiler)
Tina
Wonderful real, gutsy lonely characters come together in this tale of circumstances.
Sometimes things happen and we just have to get on with it.
Sometimes we like and dislike someone at the same time.
Sometimes we have to trust our intuition in enticing and unusual situations because things and people aren't always what they seem to be.
Sad and lonely doesn't always mean unhappy and can even lead to more than one expected.

A great tale for a long drive which gave us many smiles and lots of laughs.
Tesh
Oct 08, 2013 Tesh rated it liked it
Shelves: notable-novels
This book is well written, with a strong protagonist, but some of the stuff does get a little weird. Still, I've read it more than once, partly to 'get' it more and also because I generally enjoyed it.
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2012
Dana
Dana rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2010
Julina
Julina rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2012
Tori Wong
Tori Wong rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2013
Imogen
Imogen rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2012
Gem
Gem rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2013
Kristen Wynne
Kristen Wynne rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2012
Miffy
Miffy rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2010
Kelly Lock
Kelly Lock rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2014
husky
husky rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2012
Nidhi Thomas
Nidhi Thomas rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2011
Athenapotter
Athenapotter rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Lauma Klintsone
Lauma Klintsone rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2012
Bridget
Bridget rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2012
Chiara
Chiara rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2012
stona
stona rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2017
Katherine
Katherine rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Belinda
Belinda rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2010
Ashleigh Mathes
Ashleigh Mathes rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2015
Tabi
Tabi rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
Monica
Monica rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2014
Isabelle
Isabelle rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2015
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2009
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2013
Kezelda
Kezelda rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2014
Chanel
Chanel rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2015
Gints
Gints rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2012
Doug MacLeod is a Melbourne-based writer and TV producer who has worked on many of Australia's most popular comedy shows, including The Comedy Company, Fast Forward, Big Girls' Blouse, The Micallef Program and SeaChange. He was also the script editor on Kath and Kim.

While he enjoys the TV work, he prefers writing books for young people. After leaving his full-time job in TV, Doug wrote the teenage
More about Doug MacLeod...

“As it happens, I’m a terrible dancer. Bears are simply not made for dancing. We’re much better at sitting and sleeping and singing. But there are humans who catch bears and force us to dance. It’s agony. And there are other humans who pay to watch us.’
Hannah sighed. ‘I suppose you’re right to distrust humans.’
‘And that is why I must eat you,’ said the bear forlornly. ‘For the benefit of the entire bear population of the world. I’m awfully sorry about this.’
‘That’s all right.’ Hannah shrugged her shoulders. ‘Is there any point in my trying to run away?’
‘None. We bears may not be able to dance but we are experts when it comes to chasing things.’
‘What if I climb a tree?’
‘I’ll climb up after you, or push the tree over. It all depends on what sort of tree you choose to climb. Either way, you’ll end up eaten.’
‘So be it,’ said Hannah. ‘How should I prepare myself?’
‘I beg your pardon?’
‘Will you eat me with my clothes on?’
‘Of course. Otherwise it would be bad manners.”
5 likes