Cleopatra
read book* *Different edition

Cleopatra

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  473 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Henry Rider Haggard was a British Victorian writer known for his adventure novels set is exotic places. His writings are sympathetic to the natives. He often portrayed Africans as heroic in his stories even though the main characters are usually European. Alan Quartermain was the main character in the novel King Solomon's Mines and several sequels. Cleopatra's story is tol...more
Published June 8th 2009 by Book Jungle (first published 1889)

To ask other readers questions about Cleopatra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cleopatra

Youssab John
Never before in my life have I been so obsessed with a book as I have been with this one. The fact that it's based on a translation of a roll of papyrus found in Harmachis' tomb and within the mummy itself, makes it even more haunting. The idea that the fate of Ancient Egypt in all its might is at stake to be determined by a bunch of people namely, Harmachis, Cleopatra and Charmion, to have the power that could potentially change history itself, to have the choice of ending a civilization that l...more
Surreysmum
Read this on my Kindle from a file on the Internet Archive (I think). As these things go, it wasn't a bad scan. As for the novel itself, great fun, and most likely an extremely unreliable source of information about things Ancient Egyptian! As usual with literature of this period, the attitude towards women is infuriating, in entirely predictable ways, and Cleopatra's power is ascribed entirely to preternatural beauty (a notion that contemporary portraits tend to discredit). The first person nar...more
John Miller
This was a bit slow in the beginning and some other spots, but overall a very good book. Look forward to reading some of H. Rider Haggard's other novels.
Rozonda
He isn't a genial writer, but I enjoy Haggard's writing as entertaining and passionate about Pagan cultures and religions. This narration of Cleopatra's story with a magical and spiritual twist is a good example.
Like Ayesha, Rider's best known female character, Prince Harmachis is a servant of Goddess Isis who falls out of Her grace for love, and when his beloved, Cleopatra, betrays him, his vengeance on her and Mark Antony will be terrible.
Userinfo
A Tragedy of the Highest Order. This gut-wrenching novel is a masterpiece, a complex journey into the heart of Ancient Egypt. This story will touch your heart and unlock your imagination while delving into the ultimate conflicts between good and evil. Man and God. Glory and Sin. Triumph and Destruction. Spectacular!
Audrey Grant
Boreing...long and drawn out. Two of the characters were interesting but they showed up so seldom it was almost torture waiting for them to reappear! Quite a bit of hystorical info. if it can all be believed.
Anupam Sinha
A fantasy account of the life of Cleopatra; a magical facet of historical chronology.
Joy Rockey
Not what I expected but really interesting & a different view on Cleopatra
C-shaw
Very interesting and unusual book. Not what I expected from Haggard.
Krishna Giri
One of the finest historical novels ever.
Tanvir Ahmed
I have read a couple of books about Cleopatra and this book by Haggard gives me a new light to things! His story about Harmachis and how he got involved with her gives somewhat a new reflection about Cleopatra. Once you started reading this, you'd definitely won't put this book down. Its sort of a time warp for you would actually get to feel as if you are part of the story! The plot, sceneries depicted-- everything is original and definitely entertaining! A must read for those who is interested...more
Neil
This is certainly not Haggard's best work. While there are some fine discussions of Egyptian religion (doubtlessly caught up in some way with Haggard's seeming interest in Theosophy), many of the characters in this novel are shadows of the more interesting and complicated figures in _She_. I was struck by the deep feelings of sexual shame on the part of the narrator in this text. Haggard seems aware of this fact to a degree, but this awareness cannot make up for the book's obsessive return to th...more
Barbora
Dílo, jež ve starém jazyce popisuje úžasným stylem krásy a tajemství Egypta, jeho královny Kleopatry i učeného Harmachise, jež měl Egyptu navrátit svobodu. Dílo plné lásky, intrik, lží, naděje i bolesti. Dozvíte se zajímavé informace o náboženství starověkého Egypta i o příběhu, jež nedá spát umělcům celá staletí. Díky zachování starého jazyka se začátek knihy čte hůře, ale brzy si zvyknete a už Vám nic nebrání se díky několika stránkám přenést do doby dávné a čarovné.
85%
Nile
a close look at the heart of Egypt...... mesmerizing
Keith
I read this as part of this. It was the first Haggard I've read and it didn't impress me all that much. Haggard drops his own character in the midst of the action and makes him the secret source for much of what happened in history. It's just a little bit of plot and a lot of flowery speeches. And yet I was surprised by how quickly it flew by. Maybe I'd like one of his more esteemed books better.
Russamun82
A long lost decedent of the Egyptian Pharaohs engages Queen Cleopatra in a struggle for the throne of the Two Lands
Katherine L.
Jun 20, 2011 Katherine L. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of historical fiction
Though Harmachis' ponderings might be tedious at the beginning, Haggard's knowledge of Egyptian religion and rites is impressive for the 1800s. It looks as if the writers of the movie Cleopatra read and re-read this, however Haggard's Cleopatra is capable of extreme loyalty, deception, passion, and cruelty - like men in her position. Once in, this book galloped. I'm glad I read this author. I guess his King Solomon's Mines inspired Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Annette Radcliff
This story started out really slow because it was about someone else entirely for 1/4 of the way into the book. then it started to get good and we met Cleopatra, then it ended the last two chapters with the same charachter that started the book, Hamachis. I think the name could've been revised. The story of cleopatra as told by Hamachis the "Pharoh". or something along those lines. it seemed it was more his story than it was hers. but overall a good book.
Clayton Barr
The conceit of the book is that it tells the story of Cleopatra's rule of Egpyt and her eventual death, following her beoloved Antony, as if it were from the translated hieroglyphics on ancient papyrus pages found in Egpyt. It's written in a style that seems to be half King James Bible and half Shakespeare, which makes it difficult to slog through at times. But an interesting experiment for me in reading a different kind of book.
Melanie
This book was good except for the fact that it was drawn out. Several times I had to put it down and read a different novel because I got bored, which does not happen very often for me. The facts were correct but the way that they were laid out made it very boring. I love Egypt and if I had more time then I might have read it more thoroughly, but I skimmed most of it because I just wanted to be finished.
Great historical novel for those who like historical novels. They were never my thing so sometimes I got a little bored with this book even though I've always had a fascination with Egypt. Cleopatra was a very complex and intriguing character. Harmachis got on my nerves a bit. I really loved the ending though, especially the last line with the bit about the scroll. Very fun way to end a book.
Artem Huletski
Приключенческие романы с типичными героями (сила, смелость, красота и ум) и героинями (неземная красота, ум, властолюбие и коварство). Не нравится привычка автора прописывать будущее, вроде "...и они больше не встречались", которая вместе с небольшой долей проницательности убивает интригу. Впрочем, желание вспорхнуть ибисом над благословенным Кеметом у меня возникло.
bkwurm
Interesting take on the Cleopatra story.

For those familiar with Cleopatra, the devoted servant Charmion is here the key individual acting behind the scenes who is responsible for Cleopatra's fall and the end of Egyptian independence. Not a bad tale if you can get past the stereotypes inherent in the plot which is somewhat distracting to the modern reader
Victoria
Eleanor Lux
Its been fun reading most of Haggart's books especially if you can find one with the original illustrations in it. They're wildly imaginative and about an era that never really existed but fun to pretend that it did
Gracee
Ok..so it was written in 1889. Maybe the time period just didn't lend itself to "happy" stories. Really, what was I expecting? Still a good story, but the ending.... one of those... "WHAT the h*ll just happened".
Dianne
Pretty hard to get through with the cumbersome language. May have to read another on Cleopatra to determine how "factual" it was.
Beth
I unfortunately found it so difficult to get into that I stopped reading 1/4 into the book.
Elmira
While I loved some of the prose, I found the majority of it just long winded.
Gina Bacigalupi
i love a good book about a strong woman. great book.
What if ? 1 3 Sep 14, 2012 08:46PM
  • Pharaoh's Son
  • Caesar and Cleopatra
  • The Fortunes of Captain Blood
  • Strategos - Born in the Borderlands (Strategos, #1)
  • Cleopatra
  • House of Corruption
  • 800 Leagues on the Amazon
  • The Sleeping Beauty
  • The Scottish Chiefs
  • Jezebel's Ladder (Jezebel's Ladder, #1)
  • The Monastery
  • English Fairy Tales
  • The Ghost Pirates
  • The Mortal Immortal: The Complete Supernatural Short Fiction of Mary Shelley
  • Novels: The House of Mirth / The Reef / The Custom of the Country / The Age of Innocence (Library of America #30)
  • The League Of The Scarlet Pimpernel
  • King Edward III
  • The Legends of King Arthur and His Knights
Sir Henry Rider Haggard was an English writer of adventure novels set in exotic locations, predominantly Africa, and the creator of the Lost World literary genre. His stories, situated at the lighter end of the scale of Victorian literature, continue to be popular and influential. He was also involved in agricultural reform and improvement in the British Empire.

His breakout novel was King Solomon...more
More about H. Rider Haggard...
King Solomon's Mines (Allan Quatermain, #1) She (She, #1) Allan Quatermain The People of the Mist Ayesha: The Return of She