Start by marking “30 Days Of Night” as Want to Read:
30 Days Of Night

30 Days Of Night (30 Days of Night #1)

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  15,128 Ratings  ·  422 Reviews
In a sleepy, secluded Alaska town called Barrow, the sun sets and doesn't rise for over thirty consecutive days and nights. From the darkness, across the frozen wasteland, an evil will come that will bring the residents of Barrow to their knees. The only hope for the town is the Sheriff and Deputy, husband and wife who are torn between their own survival and saving the tow ...more
Published 2003 by Infinity (first published 2001)

Kristijan
Jun 12, 2015 Kristijan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1. zvezdica za ideju: Vampiri čekaju da na Aljasci padne nooooooooć da bi napravili pravi mali krvavi pir
2. zvezdica za artwork: Prilično minimalistički u poređenju sa nekim grafičkim novelama, ali po meni sasvim odgovara i tematici i settingu i mračnoj noti koju ova grafička novela ima
3. zvezdica zato što vampiri ne sjaje već su žestoke krvopije
4. zvezdica za humor autora
5. zvezdica zato što sam progutao novelu u rekordnom roku - i bio odmah spreman za još!!!

Nedostaci (da, oni postoje ali ne ut
Jeremy Stephens
I found this graphic novel to be very overrated. I'd like to start off by saying I love the premise- a group of vampires rampaging in an Alaskan town during its annual thirty days of darkness. The problem I have is that the story seemed so rushed. I saw this story as having so much potential and yet the conflict was quickly resolved in a mere two pages. Further more, I felt that the vampires were defeated way too easily. It was almost as if the writer got bored with the story and decided to jus ...more
Marianna Neal
As a fan of horror and scary vampires that don't sparkle, I have to say I really enjoyed this dark and brutal story with its unique art. My only complaint is that it's actually too fast-paced, to the point where it feels too brief. The story covers a month worth of time, but feels more like a couple of days. I'll definitely be reading more though!
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈

Read a book with a number in the title

3.5 stars rounded up.

Full review to come.

Nilo
Feb 07, 2016 Nilo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A simple but point-black storyline is what this graphic novel offers to us. It has an unrestrained rhythm and one of the best final lines I've ever read. Definitely Steves Niles has a new fan on me. As regard the artwork, it is so darksome, noisy and kind of grungy. Ben Templesmith really knows how to reflect an spectacular horror atmosphere.

Perhaps the only thing I dislike is the fact that this work don't have a more elaborate character development; it is okay considering this is the first vol
Christopher
If there's one thing to take comfort in when under attack by vampires, it's that you only have to survive for at the most a few hours until the sun comes back out. But what if you're in a small Alaskan town and the sun won't be coming out for a month?

This is an incredible setup for a horror story. It's a unique take that introduces new possibilities for vampires, set in an isolated territory with distinct borders. Unfortunately, this is the only thing the book gets right. It's a total waste of a
Jesse
Jan 16, 2009 Jesse rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This graphic novel takes an interesting premise - vampires attacking a small town while it lies sunless through an arctic winter - and completely squanders it through mediocre writing and irritating artwork. The characters are beyond shallow, with a few stock lines parceled out on each page, and virtually no actual dialog. Worse, the artist chose to locate the human characters in the same region of the uncanny valley as the monsters, making it hard not to cheer for them to turn their weapons upo ...more
Erika
Loved the artwork, but I'm kind of so-so on the storyline. I think that has more to do with having seen the before prior to reading this though. This didn't seem quite as fleshed out in comparison. I haven't seen any of the half-baked sequels though, so I'm going into the rest of these blind. I'm hoping it helps..
Ken-ichi
Aug 12, 2009 Ken-ichi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: escape, comics
Vampires go apeshit when they realize (finally) that there are 30 days where the sun never sets in Podunk, AK. Art's kinda fun, story's kinda dumb. No surprises there.
Liz BooksandStuff
Jun 27, 2016 Liz BooksandStuff rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I felt nothing.
Paul Nelson
May 05, 2013 Paul Nelson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Finally got to read the graphic novel that spurned the movie and I have to say it is impressive.
The artwork is something I think you have to get used to, not overly detailed, dark and blurry but it sets the atmosphere to the story perfectly. The darkness brings a world of shadow, hiding places in every corner, creepy and at the same time adrenaline infused.
The story is frantically paced and as a result you never get a connection to the characters, this is one point where the film triumphs over t
Maryam
Actual rating 2.5
Trudi
LOVED the drawings...amazing atmosphere. Steve Niles has single-handedly re-invented the vampire, stealing it back from the trashy, paranormal bodice rippers!
Kate
Oct 18, 2014 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

There's a lot to like with this graphic novel, visually it is pretty stunning although it might not suit everyone. At times it looked quite blurred as though the artist doesn't want you seeing some things too clearly. The artwork still looks pretty amazing but consistency seems to be a bit of an issue, I noticed this more in the beginning of the comic more than the end.

The colour palette is dark, to suit the hopelessness of the survivors situation, with vibrant red being used liberally when blo
Gef
Jan 13, 2011 Gef rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I saw the film adaptation of this novel a few years ago and was delighted to see a genuinely good movie that was: 1) adapted from a comic book, because--let's face it--not all of them have been worth bragging about; 2) firmly entrenched in the horror genre, because--again, let's face it--Hollywood and horror rarely blend well. So, after enjoying the movie I finally got around to reading its source material, and I think is another example of how a good movie comes from a better book.

It's apparen
Kyle
Aug 29, 2016 Kyle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, that was a major letdown. I absolutely loved the film version, so I thought I'd give this a shot. I gotta say, though, this graphic novel from which the film originates is actually pretty shitty. At least, this first volume is (it's not like I'm going to continue with this series, but still...).

What I thought would happen was each volume would cover a few days during the actual "30 days of night" ... but no. Instead, we rush through the entire 30 days in just under 80-something pages. The
Estelle
Disappointing. There's potential there but the story feels way too rushed and ends too quickly, too easily. There's hardly any suspense or tension at all. As for the artwork I can't decide if I liked it or not. Sometimes it looks great, but mostly it's a mess and it's hard to see what is really happening.
Ugh.
Samantha A
Jul 19, 2014 Samantha A rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dark, creepy, and all around awesome! Loving graphic novels right now. I really, really loved this one, especially with the different type of artwork going on. Gave it such an eerie vibe.
Matt Ryan
Oct 21, 2014 Matt Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story opens in a snowy village in Alaska. It is at a point in the year where the sun sets and does not rise for a full 30 days. During this time, the residents of the village fall under attack by Vampires who are just having a field day at the fact that they can be out for 30 whole nights.

Everything from the art, suspense, and the plot kept me into this book. I really enjoyed everything about it, had an interesting story, that kept you wondering what will happen next, it had a good amount of
Wealhtheow
Aug 31, 2007 Wealhtheow rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Thirty days without sunshine means a whole month of fun for creatures of the underworld. The art is beautiful (if gory) and the story vivid.
David Schwan
Premise is there are some zombie like creatures with superhuman powers that come out in darkness. Since Barrow Alaska is far enough north they get a 30 day period of night in the wintertime. Somewhat unbelievably people are running around outside in the dead of winter without parkas. As one would expect of a zombie story the zombies are virtually unkillable. The Sheriff is the hero of the story and does this through a rather interesting twist (the only reason I am giving 3 stars, otherwise two w ...more
Hilary
Jul 14, 2012 Hilary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and quick. 30 Days of Night is a brilliant concept that... well, I'm as surprised as Steve Niles was that it hadn't been used before. In Barrow, Alaska the sun sets in November and doesn't rise again for a full month. Where else would vampires go, but such a place, for a feast? How would the townspeople react?

The story is simple, but the artwork is maddeningly beautiful. Each image is grotesque and stunningly rendered. The pictures are blurred, swirling, and close to having the same sort o
Querus Abuttu
Mar 22, 2012 Querus Abuttu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magila
4.5

I always have a little bit of a hard time with books that are peppered with obscenities. It feels not creative. This wasn't the worst culprit, but you need to expect going into it that this is a book for mature audiences, and while the blood and death aren't too graphic as a result of the art, the dialogue is intense and sure to offend some readers.

At times, the art was so impressionistic that it became a little difficult to see exactly what was going on. This said, it added to the story far
Guillermo
I'm one of those people who saw 30 Days of Night the movie before picking up a copy of the graphic novel - written by Steve Niles and illustrated by Ben Templesmith. And while the movie is rather vague now - I must've watched it at least two years ago - I have to utter the unholy phrase of "I liked the movie better."

Don't get me wrong, the graphic novel's a must read - dare I say, a part of the ever growing canon of Vampire Literature. But it's lacks something that the movie offers: Build up.

Sur
Emily
Jan 03, 2008 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well. This was a pick from my book club. When I first saw the cover, I was like, "what are they thinking?!?" Then I found out that it was a graphic novel...then I found out that a graphic novel is just a fancy name for comic book. So, I was especially apprehensive about the read. But, I finally sat down with it and a cup of coffee and finished it in about a half and hour. It was pretty interesting. The premise of the book is very clever: Vampires congregate and attack a small town in Alaska wher ...more
C. Derick
The artwork is gritty and stylized to remind one of grit, and there are lots of threads laid down, but the storyline isn't entirely creative. The premise is extremely creative, but the characters and character choices are not. Furthermore, in this particular volume, one does not spend enough time with any of the characters to become invested in them before the first story arc is completed. There is a lot of promise here, but it just isn't realized in the first volume.
Vasilis Giannopoulos
It is not bad. But it's not good either. I bought it because I enjoy Templesmith's art and the basic idea seemed interesting. Having read it now, I understand why it was made into a film - the action and the sequence of images are quick and reminded me at times that of a movie; there is also an interesting plot twist but in the end I feel like something was not right. Maybe it needed more pages for the story to be fully unfolded or maybe it's just that I am not that much into vampires.

PS. I was
Chris L Rowan
Jun 16, 2016 Chris L Rowan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a muddled mess. I get the concept. Small, secluded town. No sun for thirty days. Vampire heaven. The story is very jumpy. It is all over the place with very few details. There are no character descriptions. Very few of the characters are even named. The artwork is so dark and splotchy that details are nonexistent. Who are the vampires? Who is the woman from New Orleans? If there were only 19 survivors, and the majority of the town was scorched, then how can you come back for the seq ...more
Glenn Rolfe
Dec 25, 2014 Glenn Rolfe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was cool. I really think they did an amazing job with the movie, especially considering the small amount of story they had to work with. The art's cool, and the idea is really perfect. Love 30 Days of Night.
Castle Dracula: 30 Days of Night 2 6 Sep 16, 2016 06:39AM
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 8: Red Snow
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 6: Spreading the Disease
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 10: 30 Days 'Til Death
  • 30 Days of Night: Official Novelization of The Film
  • Blood: The Last Vampire 2002
  • Johnny The Homicidal Maniac #1
  • Fell, Feral City
  • Hellboy, Vol. 4: The Right Hand of Doom (Hellboy, #4)
  • The Crow
  • The Art of Sin City
  • Le Portrait de Petite Cossette 1 (Le Portrait de Petite Cossette, #1)
  • Hellblazer: Original Sins
  • Lovecraft
  • Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer
  • Hellblazer: All His Engines
  • 28 Days Later, Vol. 1: London Calling
  • Wanted
STEVE NILES is one of the writers responsible for bringing horror comics back to prominence, and was recently named by Fangoria magazine as one of it's "13 rising talents who promise to keep us terrified for the next 25 years."

Niles is currently working for the four top American comic publishers - Marvel, DC, Image and Dark Horse. He got his start in the industry when he formed his own publishing
More about Steve Niles...

30 Days of Night (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 2: Dark Days
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 8: Red Snow
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 9: Beyond Barrow
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 10: 30 Days 'Til Death
  • 30 Days of Night: Night, Again

“The climate of Barrow is Arctic. Temperatures range from cold as shit to fucking freezing.” 23 likes
“Los que fueron masacrados huyeron a su manera. Huyeron hacia algo que había mas allá; el cielo o en el peor de los casos la oscuridad eterna. Ellos fueron los afortunados porque los que quedan atrás están en el infierno.” 0 likes