Start by marking “Lullaby” as Want to Read:
Lullaby

Lullaby

3.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  421 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
A chilling debut from a bright new talent— a masterful psychological thriller to delight fans of Nicci French and Minette Walters

It's every mother's nightmare...One minute Jess Finnegan is strolling through the Tate Museum with her new husband Mickey and their 8-month old son. The next she is frantically searching for them—both have completely disappeared. As the po
Published January 19th 2010 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published October 24th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Lullaby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lullaby

Beatriz
Jan 12, 2015 Beatriz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nada más empezar, ya me estaba pareciendo malo por la traducción (se nota muchísimo que es una traducción del inglés, y algunas frases eran caóticas... no sé si es que no la revisaron o que le dieron poquísimo tiempo a la traductora para entregar el documento, pero, madre mía).

La protagonista no me estaba encantando, pero bueno... Y al terminar el libro le he cogido un asco mortal. Es una Mary Sue de libro de secuestros, en serio. No sabía que tal espécimen existía. Es una histérica de mierda in
Sarah B.
Sep 08, 2011 Sarah B. rated it did not like it
Shelves: given-away
JackieB
Dec 08, 2010 JackieB rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
This might be a marmite book because the people I know who've read it either love it or hate it. Unfortunately I'm in the latter category. I ended up abandoning it about 100 pages from the end. I think it was an interesting idea - telling the story of an kidnapped baby using the mother as the narrator but I didn't think it quite came off. There was little character development. This was understandable in the context of the book. I don't think the mother of a kidnapped baby is going to spend much ...more
Liberty Abbott-Sylvester
Mar 26, 2011 Liberty Abbott-Sylvester rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Liberty by: self recommendation
To be honest, this was my third attempt at reading this book. I am sooo glad I am done with it and can finally shelve it away or hopefully give it away! Why did I keep reading? I had to know who did it!

Lullaby was extremely hard for me to get into. It grabbed your attention because of the plot-a mother has her baby stolen-but the rest of the story is all over the place. I think part of my dislike for the book was that it was written by a British author and was full of unfamiliar terms. It's hard
Nic
Mary
Jul 04, 2011 Mary rated it it was ok
I really thought this book was going to be a great read but I couldn't be more wrong. I felt that it went on for about 100 pages more than what it should have. It took forever to finally figure out what was really going on in the main characters life (past and present) that by the time it was revealed you didn't really care anymore. This book is written by a British author and even though I am someone who watches and reads a good deal of British shows/books there were a lot of phrases/words that ...more
Marianne Leslie
Oct 17, 2015 Marianne Leslie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This one was a struggle to finish. I had high hopes. There was very little character development. We are to see the main character both as strong and meant to feel sorry for her (out side of her baby being taken). Both seemed contradictory at times. I didn't feel sorry for her nor did I see her as a strong character. The story at times were unbelievable to the point of being irritating. The police are trying to find her baby yet she 'forgets' to share important details with them or intentionally ...more
John Marsh
Nattie
Sep 21, 2015 Nattie rated it did not like it
Shelves: incomplete
Lullaby got on my nerves right away, Jess was super irritating, however, the mystery of what happened to Louis and Mickey held my interest until around page 66.

I'm not going to complain about the British lingo this time, simply because I am the one who intentionally keeps reading books set in England knowing how irked I get by some of the terminology. If I ever see the word pushchair again; I'll scream my head off. (I realize this passage sounds like I am indeed complaining.)

Moving along...when
Janine
May 12, 2011 Janine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, mysteries, 2011
This book was such a disappointment. The synopsis was so good but the book delivered none of the suspense it had promised. The main character, Jessica, was billed as a tough woman but was actually so flakey that I wanted to slap her. When I was about 75% in, I found myself thinking 'just find the bloody baby and get this drivel finished'. I am so glad I've now managed to finish it!
Claire Fox
Jul 24, 2013 Claire Fox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's strange, this book has so many bad reviews but I loved it. Literally could not put it down loved it. Maybe it's because I'm from the area on which it's set and the language (slang) is more understandable or maybe I just loved it but I'd fully recommend giving it a go! I'll be reading other books by this author most definitely.
Rita
Apr 05, 2012 Rita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was an exciting read. I liked that it was from Jessica's point of view and you didn't know what the police were doing. I hadn't heard of Claire Seeber until I was sent this book & I'd like to read her other books. It looks like Silver appears in her other novels.
Cece
Oct 22, 2010 Cece rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
ok can anyone please just tell me how this ends. i really have no interest in reading it any further except the fact that i want to know who did it! thanks!

im done. i couldnt read anymore of it! i really want to know what happened to the baby- but not enough to finish it
Bev Taylor
Jul 22, 2015 Bev Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
why should a happy family day become every mother's worst nightmare?

jessica is at the tate with her rich husband mickey and their young baby louis. then they both disappear

mickey is found the following day in husband after being beaten up and with memory loss. but jessica then has to endure nearly 2 weeks searching for louis

family, friends, a has-been brother suddenly appears, mickey's ex-wife ......

nothing is what it seems and everyone falls under suspicions

yes, u can relate to all the cha
La comunidad del libro
Este libro es la segunda vez que lo leo, mi me memoria me jugó una mala pasada, estaba segura que me había gustado y como digo mi memoria me fallo… eso me pasa por no consultar antes la nota y los comentarios que le di esa primera vez. En esa ocasión le di un 6, esta segunda vez no llega ni al aprobado. Se me hizo muy pesado y la protagonista no me pudo caer más mal, no llegue a empatizar con ella y su situación.
Para leer la crítica entera pasaros por la web.
Victoria (daisyduck)
This is an enjoyable thriller. It has an interesting plot based around a baby snatching. I found myself pretty well hooked after a chapter or two.
Jess finds herself coping alone after her baby is snatched and her husband is unconscious in hospital. She has a close friend, Shirl and a sister, Leigh, willing to help, but oddly she deals with everything without their support. The plot races along with twists and turns coming thick and fast. The author does a very good job of making almost everyone
Nuran
Sep 08, 2012 Nuran rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, horror, crime
Claire Seeber really likes to use the word Darling, it's irritating when she uses it for practically every character andthe only term of endearment. There's no princess or babes, or sweetheart. It's always darling.

"Last night I’d worn the new dress Mickey had bought me for my birthday, deep pink and deep cut and terribly sophisticated, darling"

"Don’t be stupid, darling,"

"however often he said we were his darlings"

"spoke like Audrey Hepburn and said ‘darling’"

"‘Oh darlin’"
"‘I said I never meant t
Summer
Jul 31, 2015 Summer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't want to put this on my "Currently reading" in case I decided not to finish it but I finished it so... It was decent but felt so long that I kept falling asleep while reading it or putting it down to do other things. I started reading it about a day after the last book I finished (whenever that was). And I got frustrated and skipped ahead to find out Whodunnit and why but still read the entire thing.
Danielle
Mar 24, 2014 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I see that a lot of people did not like this book, and I don't understand why. It was heart wrenching to follow this woman whose baby boy was kidnapped, husband beaten and in hospital, drug addict brother who suddenly shows up out of nowhere. It's an great book, and I want to read more of hers. Don't agree with negative reviews, but we all like different things. Loved it.
Rachel Kelly
Mar 16, 2015 Rachel Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looking at the reviews of this book it seems to be one of those that you either love or hate. I however loved it! I really felt for Jessica and sometimes had to stop and remind myself that it wasn't a true story! I do however think there should have been one more chapter telling us if Jessica and Silver end up together
Caroline
This is the first book by Claire Seeber that I have read so I didn't really know what to expect. The blurb on the back caught my attention - a young mum, Jessica is on a family day out with her huband Mickey and baby Louis. They become separated and Mickey and Louis vanish. Mickey is then found badly beaten and unconscious and Louis is still missing.
The story grabbed me fairly quickly and kept me interested, however some of the situations felt a little contrived, as though they were written pur
Kristina
Feb 11, 2016 Kristina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book.... what can I say. I'm happy that I finished it. I think that the idea for this book was good, but the writing just wasn't for me. I found that if you just read the dialog and skip 90% of what she is thinking then it makes the book a lot more enjoyable. sorry definitely not a book I would recommend.
May 09, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to get into, but I really enjoyed this suspense thriller. She weaves characters in so that you never really know who is in the frame till near the end. Very good.
Laura Elisabeth
Such a great little book, really fast paced story. Not read this author before, will give her books another go.
Natalie
Jan 10, 2015 Natalie rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the book. I couldn't wait to find out who took the baby and I was interested to see how the author tied it all together in the end. Good quick read.
Kilgallen
Jul 26, 2012 Kilgallen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, 2012-reads
This is the first novel written by Claire Seeber and was a good page turner type thriller. The plot was well woven and kept me trying to figure "who done it" through out the story.Being a mother myself I was able to really relate to the main charater and how she was reacting to the events that were unfolding for her. The author is British and there were a lot of less familular phrases and words used in this novel but it was not overdone and really contributed to the overall feeling of the novel. ...more
Mandy
Jan 08, 2012 Mandy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing - at least in comparison to Never Tell which I really enjoyed. This I found contrived, patched together and with gaping holes in the plot that seemed to be filled later as an after thought. I didn't 'get' Jess - I found it hard to understand her character - in fact I'm not entirely sure she had a character. Mickey, well, cliched and Silver was just badly written. All in all unlikeable characters I couldn't care less about and considering the whole story was based on child abduction ...more
Marnie
Oct 12, 2013 Marnie rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, suspense, drama
This book is every mother's nightmare. Your child being abducted right under your nose. How even more horrific, is that is was the father. And his plans weren't to sell him off, but to run away with him and go back to his ex wife that he was still seeing all along since she first met him and married him. This book was a page turner, but you can tell that it was written by an English author. This made it difficult at times to understand what some of the slang words were. ie(fag=cigarette)
Dee
Oct 04, 2012 Dee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I was getting quite desperate to finish this book. It was getting on My nerves!

Really didn't enjoy it. The main character just seemed too happy throughout the book, even though her husband was in ICU and her baby son was missing. The other characters got on My nerves too. The book drones on so much, that by the end you don't seem to particularly care who kidnapped her son.

I honestly wish I hadn't picked this up.
  • Why Don't You Come For Me?
  • Widow's Tale
  • Never Wave Goodbye
  • Faith
  • Single White Female
  • The Trophy Taker (Detective Johnny Mann, #1)
  • Fallen Idols (DC Laura McGanity, #1)
  • Blood Ties
  • Forever Is Over
  • Unlikely Killer
  • The Child Who
  • The Drowning Pool
  • The School Run
  • The Cold Spot (Cold, #1)
  • The Cry